Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

King Tut Guest
    The unabridged version of The Stand is to horror/fiction what Being and Nothingness is to philosophy. Both of them after a while made my head explode.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
    The unabridged version of The Stand is to horror/fiction what Being and Nothingness is to philosophy. Both of them after a while made my head explode.

HAAAAAAAA.....

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    Have you read the dark tower books?
    The first 4 Dark Tower books I found fascinating...I really could not put them down. I'm about to begin on the "back 3"--the ones he wrote years later. Somehow I feel I'm going to be disappointed. But the first 4? Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Go for the unabridged version. I dont remember any difference really but hey what the fuck right!
    I first read the abridged and the unabridged 5 times, and I'm gonna read it again soon. There ain't no book like a fat SK book, IMO. I think the difference in the two versions of The Stand that stuck out for me is the very end. I won't spoil it for those who want to read it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

itsintheeyes Guest
    Love Stephen King. He's like this generation's Edgar Allen Poe.

CORONERGAL Guest

I'd love to know....

Couldn't wait to read "Dreamcatcher". A friend had it and said she'd lend it to me when she finished. When she gave it to me, she said "I guess that accident messed his head up more than we know." I didn't get it until I got to the part of how the "things" um, made their appearance. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it (it's an alright book) so I won't go into details. What I'd love to know is....did anyone else feel totally messed up after reading that part? I know I did. Still do. Haven't read it since and I usually read his books two or three times. Don't think I have the stomach to read it again. Any thoughts?

CORONERGAL Guest
    I must be having a brain fart. WHAT???

cubbiecatz Guest

I would totally do him. That is, if he looked like Ben Affleck.

RubySlippers Guest
    ick.no way. i am too visual. and his voice is wierd.

CORONERGAL Guest
    That's a pic of Uncle Steve I've been looking for, and the only copy I could find was one on his message board that had that warning.

The photo was originally taken for literacy week and had written underneath it "Read, Dammit!"

So no, I wasn't pointing my literal gun at you ;-)
    WHEW!! *takes bullet-proof vest off* Gotcha! Sorry if I sounded a bit dim there.

CORONERGAL Guest
    Sorry for scaring you, not many people recognise Steve in that photo. I've seen people wearing it as a tshirt with no idea it's him.
    That's pretty cool, actually. I myself am a little attracted to him. I think it's the teeth

LOL

I've always loved that pic, lol. I think it's in the Stephen King on Writing book (without the FAQ quip of course) but I could be wrong.

PS. You're welcome Cindy I'll eventually get back to checking it out myself. I'm kind of doing 46 things at once this week so it's been a no-go so far timewise. If I see it available in a captioned version when I get time to kick back with it (finally), I'll send you a linkie.

pryncssdeb Guest
    I have about 80% of King's books in hardcover 1st editions, including classics like The Shining and The Tommyknockers. In 9th grade I read The Stand (paperback ed) in ONE sitting, ONE night, and to this day is the best one I've read short of The Green Mile. They did a FANTASTIC job on the movie, only changing Mr Jingles slightly.

deb

Sam Guest
    Have you read the Uncut version? Can you recommend one over the other?
    I bought "The Stand" and started reading it three or four times before putting it down over the course of about ten years. I just couldn't make myself get into it.
    Then in 1987 my mother read it while I was having my last open heart surgery. She RAVED about the book and told me it was the BEST thing he'd ever written. I figured I had a while in bed to recover so I went to a book store and bought the newly released unabridged version.
    I couldn't PUT IT DOWN! If he'd been allowed to release that version in the late 70's I'd have finished it then.

CORONERGAL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pryncssdeb View Post
    I have about 80% of King's books in hardcover 1st editions, including classics like The Shining and The Tommyknockers. In 9th grade I read The Stand (paperback ed) in ONE sitting, ONE night, and to this day is the best one I've read short of The Green Mile. They did a FANTASTIC job on the movie, only changing Mr Jingles slightly.

deb
    Green Mile Fricken' rocks!! I posted earlier that I saw the movie in the theater in Arizona when it first came out and I had a few bikers sitting next to me that were bawling their eyes out at the end. The book was absolutlely awesome and I read it at least twice a year.

WendyK Guest
    Rose Red still gets me, I love it! EKKK! Something just fell!

17. 11-15-2008, 12:12 AM

CORONERGAL Guest
    Wendy, quick, duck! I've seen this happen (in movies) before and I know what to do! Hide under a desk or in a closet or something! The creature may find you, but you've bought yorself a little time at least.

CORONERGAL Guest
    And whatever you do, DON'T GO LOOKING TO SEE WHAT FELL!!

WendyK Guest
    Well if some nasty looking skelatal brood shows up in bed with me I will let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Dark Tower is a strange ride indeed...took him over 20 years to finish them, and you can tell.....I`d sell you mine in a heartbeat....The Stand, the long-er version only introduces one more character....I recommend the original....Stephen has a way of running off at the typewriter, which he gleefully admits...LOL....The Stand is a classic.....I`m 45 and have read all his stuff for over 30 years now....I believe I posted this before, but the early Stephen was The King, if you will....somewhere down the line it became pap to sell to the masses
    I am in total accordance with you on that Molly. The early King is the real King. In the late 80's it seemed as though he tried to be a bit more cerebral and attempted to trancend the horror genre thats when I lost interest in him Im not rekateing my loss of interest with his shift in style (most assuredly due to the end of his decade long addiction to cocaine) but thats when I lost interest. His early works however maintain a joyous residence in the synaptic currents of my abused grey matter and represent the definitative and most likely the future historic representation of the man of freakish yet somewhat sexy countenance.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I just watched Stand By Me tonite. I loved the book Different Seasons, and loved this adaptation.

I also loved The Stand and read it twice when I was in my 20's.

A lot of people hate film adaptations of King's work, and thats fine. I like 'em. I liked the Shining a lot too. Imagine my absolute delight finding this commercial online. I must have watched this 100 times.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...annel4.kubrick

WendyK Guest
    I Fucking HATE IT! But I still watch it..

2Dogs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    A lot of people hate film adaptations of King's work, and thats fine. I like 'em. I liked the Shining a lot too.
    I liked all of the film adaptations of King's stories/books, with the exception of Pet Cemetary. I wasn't too fond of that one. I thought the "It" adaptation was really good - but there's no way an actor could portray Pennywise as evil and scary as he was in my imagination while reading the book.

I just watched Stand By Me tonite. I loved the book Different Seasons, and loved this adaptation.

I also loved The Stand and read it twice when I was in my 20's.

A lot of people hate film adaptations of King's work, and thats fine. I like 'em. I liked the Shining a lot too. Imagine my absolute delight finding this commercial online. I must have watched this 100 times.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...annel4.kubrick
    Fab! Thanks Scott

Mrs Tingles Guest
    I haven't read any new King books, but i love his old stuff. The Stand, Carrie, Christine, his short stories. The list goes on and on. Can anyone recommend a recent book of his?

FannyB1923 Guest
    I gave up reading Stephen King for a long time. I kept running into something in his books so often I called it the "Stephen King bogdown" effect. I'd start reading a book, say The Stand, great storyline, great characters and then Wham! right in the middle of the book it would get so darn weird and hard to understand, I wouldn't even finish the book. And sometimes the "supernatural" thing going on doesn't even fit with the story he's telling. I thought The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon was a great story. Just the girl lost was enough- and the supernatural boogeyman stuff didn't add to it.

I've tried again in the last few years. I think The Green Mile was the best thing he ever did. I understood the poor condemned man with the gift that relieved the guard of all that pain and suffering. The real creeps in that story were human beings not ghouls; I liked that.

How is SK doing since the bad accident? I know books have come out, but is he able to get around?

Heres his American Express commercial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbyBh...t.com/page/18/
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

DOA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CORONERGAL View Post
    Green Mile Fricken' rocks!! I posted earlier that I saw the movie in the theater in Arizona when it first came out and I had a few bikers sitting next to me that were bawling their eyes out at the end. The book was absolutlely awesome and I read it at least twice a year.
    speaking of the movie -- which i loved -- I ran into Hutcheson (i forget his first name, damn) the guy who played Percy. A nice guy. Quiet.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DOA View Post
    speaking of the movie -- which i loved -- I ran into Hutcheson (i forget his first name, damn) the guy who played Percy. A nice guy. Quiet.
    ooooh, percy. bad, bad man. he did a fantastic job with that character. that is neat you met him.

DOA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    I gave up reading Stephen King for a long time. I kept running into something in his books so often I called it the "Stephen King bogdown" effect. I'd start reading a book, say The Stand, great storyline, great characters and then Wham! right in the middle of the book it would get so darn weird and hard to understand, I wouldn't even finish the book. And sometimes the "supernatural" thing going on doesn't even fit with the story he's telling. I thought The Girl Who Love Tom Gordon was a great story. Just the girl lost was enough- and the supernatural boogeyman stuff didn't add to it.

I've tried again in the last few years. I think The Green Mile was the best thing he ever did. I understood the poor condemned man with the gift that relieved the guard of all that pain and suffering. The real creeps in that story were human beings not ghouls; I liked that.

How is SK doing since the bad accident? I know books have come out, but is he able to get around?
    All I know is he's always at those Boston Red Sox playoff games. They always put the camera on him when he's sitting in the stands.

DOA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    ooooh, percy. bad, bad man. he did a fantastic job with that character. that is neat you met him.
    Yeah, Percy was bad. lol. It was cool to meet him. I'm surprised he hasn't been able to do more high profile movies since then.

DOA Guest
    Hey, a friend and myself were having an argument about the ending to The Green Mile.

As I recall: Hanks' character lived on so long because he was being punished for basically being the head guy of Michael Clarke Duncan's execution. Isn't that what Hanks explained to the old lady at the end?

2Dogs Guest
    The Shining, Salem's Lot and It are my favorite books over all. My favorite "read over" book is The Talisman, which he wrote with Peter Straub. I just love that book with Traveling Jack and Wolf. It's long and complicated and if I let a few years go by I forget enough of the details that I'm able to thoroughly enjoy the re-read. They wrote a sequal (17 years later) called "The Black House" which is really good too. It's actually time for a re-read of both of them.

I hated Tommyknockers and there are a few of his books that I could never get all the way through, The Dark Half and Dreamcatcher are two that come to mind. I thought Desperation" was ok, but I couldn't get into The Regulators which was released about the same time as a Bachman book with a converging storyline with Desperation.

2Dogs Guest
    Hey, a friend and myself were having an argument about the ending to The Green Mile.

As I recall: Hanks' character lived on so long because he was being punished for basically being the head guy of Michael Clarke Duncan's execution. Isn't that what Hanks explained to the old lady at the end?
    He believed that he lived so long (just like Mr. Jingles) because he "absorbed" some of John Coffey's power when he was touched by him. But at the same time, he also believed it might be a punishment from God for taking John Coffey's life.

DOA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
    He believed that he lived so long (just like Mr. Jingles) because he "absorbed" some of John Coffey's power when he was touched by him. But at the same time, he also believed it might be a punishment from God for taking John Coffey's life.
    Thank you, 2dogs. A pretty heavy ending.

CORONERGAL Guest
    I believe his first name is Doug. I SO hated him in that movie. He was also in an episode of "CSI", the Vegas one. He played a psycho that was stalking Nick. He plays a great psycho.
    He actually looks like he would be a nice guy. I'd just have to put aside the whole Percy Wetmore thing.

DOA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CORONERGAL View Post
    I believe his first name is Doug. I SO hated him in that movie. He was also in an episode of "CSI", the Vegas one. He played a psycho that was stalking Nick. He plays a great psycho.
    He actually looks like he would be a nice guy. I'd just have to put aside the whole Percy Wetmore thing.
    Doug -- Yeah, that's it.

I remember reading 'The Stand' and not being able to put it down. The first part of the TV version of 'It' scared me - a lot!

I liked the 'Kingdom Hospital' Mini-Series, which was sort of autobiographical since he got hit by a van and nearly died...also, it was just STRANGE!

I watched IT last night for the first time since it aired on TV. Loved it. King has my childhood down pat, aside from the monsters. But real people are often more scary.

I watched IT last night for the first time since it aired on TV. Loved it. King has my childhood down pat, aside from the monsters. But real people are often more scary.

I hope you have your notes ready Scott...I don't think Stephen King will be with us much longer. I believe he's almost blind, amongst other health problems Now that will be the passing of a genuine icon.

WendyK Guest
    Is it just me but...Good thing King makes money off his books and not his Looks?
    Last edited by WendyK; 11-19-2008 at 10:11 PM.

This from King's website:

QUESTION
    Is it true that you're going blind?

ANSWER
    No, I'm not. I have a predisposition--and it's a genetic thing--to macular degeneration and that's a disease you can read about on the internet. It eventually results in blind spots and a loss of vision but I don't have any of the symptoms yet-just that predisposition and I think it's something that I may have to face in the future, but, no, I'm not going blind.
    I know what you're saying KC. But those are some pretty thick-ass glasses he wears. His problems are pretty well known, if not admitted to publicly. Personally, I hope he lives to be a thousand...

Doug -- Yeah, that's it.
    Doug Hutchison! He played Eugene Tooms in two of my favorite X Files eps - - Tooms and Squeeze.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I can't deal with all my favorite people getting old Duster. I just can't.

I seriously know what you mean.....it`s surreal to me

MoonRabbit Guest
    I have a friend that lives in King's area.
    She told me that he frequents a certain restaurant there.
    He walks in though the back door and sits at a rear booth always
    sitting with his back facing the front of the place.
    In other words he doesn't want to be seen.

She told me that if anyone bothers him in any way they
    are never allowed back in the place.

Without these rules I suppose Stephen King would never get to
    eat?

beatlebaby4 Guest
    http://stephenking.com/the_office.html

Have you guys seen the recently launched flash animation of Stephen King's office? It's very cool.
    That is cool. Thanks for posting that KC.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Picked up Just After Sunset.

Short story collection, and good too.

lab_rat Guest
    My favorites are The Stand, Desperation, and Pet Semetary.

Salem's Lot scared the hell out of me!

bluebird14 Guest
    wasnt there a rumor that he killed John Lennon?

That was the dumbest thing I had heard.

And the Stand was an awesome book

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Picked up Just After Sunset.

Short story collection, and good too.

I think my kid got it for me for Christmas.....will be the first King book I`ve read in a long time