Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    I have the audio of 20th century ghost- ITunes was selling the stories from Joe Hills new book for $0.95 per story- I think there were 13. I started listening to it, but haven't been able to finish it yet.

Stephen King runs hot and cold for me. I've read the Stand, but to me, "It" was the scariest- I actually had to put that down and walk away at times- more because some of the descriptions of what happened to people gave me such a bad case of puckering asshole syndrome that I had to stop reading. Also loved Eyes of the Dragon, Different Seasons (except Apt Pupil- I thought that one was boring), Carrie and Green Mile.

My favorite movie adaptation was Stand By Me- especially the Lardass Hogan Barf-o-Rama part.

P.S. Is it true that Stephen King has macular degeneration?
    That "macular degeneration" is ringing a bell.....
    One scene from the film "Apt Pupil" where the old guy puts on the nazi uniform and seems to become younger and stonger as he marches, I thought that was excellent.
    P.S. I just looked and apparently he IS going blind.

Snoopy Guest
    My favorites are Carrie and The Shining. My Dad was a huge King fan and had a book that was autographed by him..a family friend knows him and would occasionally have lunch with him when he was in Maine..unfortunately my Dad never got the chance to meet him.

Guest Guest
    I like the book with the short stories called " Nightmare and dreamscapes " A rather interesting lil book.

mgpm Guest
    Love SK...I read "'salem's Lot" when I was in middle school..and I've been hooked ever since. My favorite is "The Stand" --love the unabridged version. I had a BLAST reading all of the Dark Tower series one right after the other a few years ago. It was just fantastic.

hoxharding Guest
    I just got 'Firestarter' for my book collection. I had it before and lost it.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    In SK's book, On Writing, he talks a bit about the accident and seems pretty bitter. Of course, the book is quite a few years old and from what I've seen/read recently from SK, he seems to have come to terms with it. And yes, the guy that hit him was pretty pathetic all way around. How could you be pissed at him? Doesn't sound like the poor dude ever had a break. There is a reason why it's called an accident.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I just got 'Firestarter' for my book collection. I had it before and lost it.
    That was one role that I liked Drew Barrymore in.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbilina View Post
    Stephen King is a literary God in my eyes..lol I've loved him since the age of 14 when I read Firestarter. My favorite novel is Pet Semetary. My least favorite was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Oh, was anyone else REALLY dissapointed in the ending to the Dark Tower series? Maybe it was just me because the series was coming to an end, but I hated how it ended.

Bag of Bones was very good too. Okay, I'll stop now...lol
    I was honestly pissed off when I finished Dark Tower that was NOT the ending I wanted but had predicted that I didn't want

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyDoll View Post
    For some reason I love the campy "Rose Red" miniseries by King
    the Rose Red house is here in my hometown of Tacoma Washington..I stayed there one night...lets just say it is the creepiest house I've ever stayed at and I've stayed in many a creepy house

hoxharding Guest

walking/read

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Hox, you aren't saying he was walking down the road READING are you?
    OMG, I dont mean to laugh but I am anyway.
    King was walking and reading when he was hit. Trust me, you are in a vulnerable position when you read and walk.
    *I once was walking and reading. Didn't get hit by a van or anythiing. You know those big metal things people put grocery carts in they put in the parking lot? I didn't see it and got punched in the stomach by walking into the side of one*

BabyDoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    the Rose Red house is here in my hometown of Tacoma Washington..I stayed there one night...lets just say it is the creepiest house I've ever stayed at and I've stayed in many a creepy house
    I've always been fascinated with haunted houses. Allegedly real or ficitional. There's something strangely romantic about them.

Is the real house said to be haunted?

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    First Stephen King novel I read was The Shining I was 12 years old (mum would've had a fit)(Thanks Dad lol) Dad gave it to me after he had finished reading it and we had a secret SK pact, he'd read them first and pass them down to me. The Shining is my fave coz it was my first. I love the short stories these days coz since the kids there isnt much time for such frivoullous acts of reading.

I've always been fascinated with haunted houses. Allegedly real or ficitional. There's something strangely romantic about them.

The Winchester Mystery House here in San Jose is also said to be the inspiration for Rose Red. Stephen King visited often as well:

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

It's also said to be quite haunted. I've got some odd pics of the place that show orbs and what look like faces in a mirror that I took during our tour there (It's only a couple of miles from our house.). I'm going to poke around on my hard drive on this computer for those, then put them on photobucket and link them here. It'll take me a bit but I'm pretty sure I've got them on this computer.

Mrs. Sarah Winchester was the wife of Oliver Winchester of Winchester rifle fame. After the death of both her husband and her child, Sarah Winchester felt that her family was cursed and began contacting mediums and spiritualists. These people told her that her family was cursed with all the deaths caused by the Winchester rifle...

You can read more about the strange goings on here and see why it would inspire King:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_L._Winchester

Here are a few of the pictures I took on our tour there a few years ago:

The first is of the Million Dollar Storage Room. It's called that because Mrs. Winchester designed many of the Tiffany windows in the home herself (many including symbols showing her fascination with the number 13) and these were never put up. At the time, they cost $25,000 and are said to be worth at least a million dollars today. See the little orbs dancing around the windows there?:

The next picture is of our tour group walking through the Seance Room where Mrs. Winchester would get inspiration from the spirits on where and how to build on her constantly growing home each night between midnight and two a.m. More orbs around the stairs:

This next set of photos I sent to the Ghosthunters to see if they could debunk them as odd light anomalies or something of that nature. Their answer was no, they couldn't.

The pictures were taken in Mrs. Winchester's bedroom as I was taking a set of three photos to get the whole room in. I lagged behind the tour also to get the pictures with no people in them so no one else was in the room. The first picture is what I saw when uploading the pics originally. The next is cropped-not altered in any way-to give a closer view of what I saw.

There appear to be the faces of two men directly under the lamp in the mirror. The reflection in the lower half of the picture is of me/my camera kneeling down to take the picture. The other reflection is that of a plaque that's on the blank wall opposite the mirror and much lower than the lamp. One full face (on the left) with full beard and distinct features. The face on the right shows a prominent nose, mouth and beard. Eyes can also be seen on the man on the right but they're not as noticeable.:

The first link here is of the original shot. I guess we're not allowed to put this many images in one post and I didn't realize it. Anyway, there you go for comparison's sake:

If you're ever in town, make sure to take a tour there. The stories of what went on in the house during Mrs. Winchester's life there and after her death are quite interesting. It's got the Stephen King stamp of approval to boot.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 11-10-2007 at 02:35 AM.

15. 11-10-2007, 02:30 AM

BabyDoll Guest
    Oh yes, I know about the Winchester House. Great mystery
    But I took it as if hoxharding spent a night in the house they shot the movie in.

Just thought you'd be interested.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Maybe Mrs. Winchester needs a thread. It is a great story. I don't know if there is one for her, I didn't look.

You are lucky, I wish I could do that tour. Maybe someday.

Oh, and thx for the pics.

Nayzo Guest
    I am a rabid King fan. And his birthday (date, not year) is one day before mine. I haven't read everything of his, but it's safe to say I've read probably 80% of what he's written. The first one I tried was Eye of the Dragon, but I put it down. I immediately picked up Cycle of the Werewolf, and was hooked, at age 10.
    My favorites would have to be The Shining (movie sucked serious nards...probably cause I read the book first), IT, The Green Mile, and lots more. It's really hard to pick faves when it comes to King. Last year, I finally read the entire Dark Tower collection in two weeks. That was an emotionally draining experience, but well worth it. In fact, I am getting ready for a reread. However, first I must reread The Mist to gear up for the movie, which I am dying to see. While I am optimistic that Frank Darabont directed it (He did amazingly with Green Mile and Shawshank), not sure how well this story will translate. I'll still see it though.

hoxharding Guest
    My cat (who now lives with my parents) is named after the mouse in the Green Mile. His name is Mr Jingles,(aka Jingles)

Guest Guest

oooooooh yeah! totally...the whole story was based on the folklore about this particular house which was literally moved brick by brick from Europe here to the states...why Tacoma of all places I still don't understand??? lmao

Let's just say that I felt a "presence" in my room, on my bed and looking at me and I was alone in the room...I knew nothing of the houses back history prior to staying there but let me tell you I have gotten that "hinky" feeling many times and as it turns out when I have it's in houses with a history of activity...spooooooky!

BabyDoll Guest
    Yes, thank you.
    Great pics

BabyDoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    oooooooh yeah! totally...the whole story was based on the folklore about this particular house which was literally moved brick by brick from Europe here to the states...why Tacoma of all places I still don't understand??? lmao

Let's just say that I felt a "presence" in my room, on my bed and looking at me and I was alone in the room...I knew nothing of the houses back history prior to staying there but let me tell you I have gotten that "hinky" feeling many times and as it turns out when I have it's in houses with a history of activity...spooooooky!
    oooh interesting

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rantat View Post
    Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was excellent
    One of the few movies that actually came close to the story.....Different Seasons had 4 short stories and all have been made into movies except my favorite " The Breathing Method ".......last story in the book representing winter, and for my money, the best

endsleigh03 Guest
    New Stephen King novel coming out January 2008. "Duma Key"
    They are having a contest to design the poster for the advertising of the new book. Stephen King will pick the winner. The winning design will be used in the London Underground and other outside sites throughout the U.K.
    Pretty cool and I wish I was the artsy type

http://www.stephenking.com

Book summary:
    DUMA KEY is the story of Freemantle, a man who loses an arm in a freak accident and relocates to Duma Key, off the West Coast of Florida, to start a new life. In this wild, barren place, inspired by the sunsets he watches from his new home, Freemantle discovers a unique talent for painting. But his art becomes predictive, even dangerous, and his only option is to unlock the secrets that haunt Duma Key...

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I like all of Stephen King's books it's hard to pick a favorite.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Saw " The Mist " today.....spot on with the story except for the ending....you decide what you think...

Stephen King

Danse Macabre

Shawver83 Guest
    I love me some Stephen King! Have been a fan for years, read everything he's ever written. A few years ago I was in Bangor ME and my friends up there took me to King's house. It was a huge Victorian monstrosity of a house, with a creepy black wrought iron gate around it that looked like it had spider webs and stuff on it. At the time there were some workmen working on the house so the gate was open and we could have wandered right up to the door, but I didn't have the nerve! Settled for taking some pics from outside the gate.

Ceci Guest
    My favorite books are "The Stand", "Pet Semetary", "Carrie" and of course, "The Dark Tower Series". I also loved the "Red Rose" miniseries and diary of Ellen Rimbauer (which he claims that he didn't have anything to do with).

Nowereman Guest
    I have been to Maitland Gaol a couple of times, they use to hang people inside the prison and there has been numerous murders and suicides inside. I went on the ex-inmate tour, which is interesting to hear about the history of the place and he showed us how the inmates used to make there own weapons, he made quiet an impressive looking knife out of a cigarette butts and a lollie stick and show us how they used toilet paper to hang themselves in their cells. The most infamous inmates in recent history were Ivan Milat a serial killer and the Anita Cobby murders.
    As for ghosts, not a believer myself, its mostly in the mind I think, but while walking around the prison yard there was on corner I felt a bit unsettled by, and Peter the ex-inmate told me more than one bloke had been murdered there.

Here is the link to Maitland Gaol, if you ever in the Hunter I would recommend a tour.

http://www.maitlandgaol.com.au/tours%2Fgaoltours

http://www.paranormalaustralia.com/i.../maitland.html
    Last edited by Nowereman; 11-23-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Nowereman Guest
    I'm also a huge Stephen King fan, my fav books are Insomnia, Thinner, The Survivor and Pet Cemetery,

sheri Guest
    Just to look at him scares the crap outta me

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawver83 View Post
    I love me some Stephen King! Have been a fan for years, read everything he's ever written. A few years ago I was in Bangor ME and my friends up there took me to King's house. It was a huge Victorian monstrosity of a house, with a creepy black wrought iron gate around it that looked like it had spider webs and stuff on it. At the time there were some workmen working on the house so the gate was open and we could have wandered right up to the door, but I didn't have the nerve! Settled for taking some pics from outside the gate.
    Any chance you could post them?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sheri View Post
    Just to look at him scares the crap outta me
    Boo!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

endsleigh03 Guest
    Is it this house?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stephenkinghouse.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	1592  

MbalmR Guest
    I never read "Dolores Claiborne," but loved that movie. One of my favorite SK novels is "Gerald's Game," and I think my favorite short is "The Long Walk." I've never read any biographical items about SK, but I notice that many of his stories have an alcoholic in them at some point. I'm assuming Mr. King to be a recovering alcoholic--he knows an awful lot of their slogans and such.

What I enjoy about King's writing is that you can really lose yourself in it and not worry about whether it's the "good lit-ra-cha." You can allow yourself to be borne along as if in a dream. Given the usual subject matter of his work, that's actually rather soothing.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I never read "Dolores Claiborne," but loved that movie. One of my favorite SK novels is "Gerald's Game," and I think my favorite short is "The Long Walk." I've never read any biographical items about SK, but I notice that many of his stories have an alcoholic in them at some point. I'm assuming Mr. King to be a recovering alcoholic--he knows an awful lot of their slogans and such.

What I enjoy about King's writing is that you can really lose yourself in it and not worry about whether it's the "good lit-ra-cha." You can allow yourself to be borne along as if in a dream. Given the usual subject matter of his work, that's actually rather soothing.
    Thats what I have always liked about him. He's the "everypersons" writer. His are pretty much the only books I buy brand new. Well, you know, given the prices even of paperbacks = how fast I read = too expensive.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Not to come off like a pompous ass but I really don't know any other way to say it...

I've read every book he's ever written

The first book of Stephen King's I read was The Stand which I read when I was 15. It's still my fave. The second would have to be The Green Mile. Favorite short stories would include The Body, Autopsy Room Four and Apt Pupil. I love them all pretty much. Bachman books too.

King's writing is also of the everyman style and he's got one of the best imaginations we have working in fiction today, imo. In other words if he ever does pop by FAD, thanks Steve. Your engrossing work kept this kid out of even more trouble in high school and gave me something fun to read when I was grounded. My Mom thanks you too.

I think you're right. Stephen King is an excellent fit here.
    I have read everything he has written as well. Proabaly one of my top 5 favorite authors.

susalu Guest
    ok.... fave king books.... the stand, the talisman, the shining, it, misery, and dolores claiborne....

fave king movies... misery, the shining, and dolores claiborne...

i've been to the Stanley Hotel (never stayed there) where he supposedly wrote both the Shining and Misery... he is supposed to be in the Stanley finishing Misery in the movie.... Ghosthunters was recently there! they got some paranormal activity...

here is a link... there are several parts...
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ghost%20hunters%20stanley%20hotel&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&re snum=0&spell=1

it's a scary place... and GORGEOUS... in Estes Park CO....

http://www.stanleyhotel.com/

Krissypoo Guest
    The Winchester Mystery House here in San Jose is also said to be the inspiration for Rose Red. Stephen King visited often as well:

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

It's also said to be quite haunted. I've got some odd pics of the place that show orbs and what look like faces in a mirror that I took during our tour there (It's only a couple of miles from our house.). I'm going to poke around on my hard drive on this computer for those, then put them on photobucket and link them here. It'll take me a bit but I'm pretty sure I've got them on this computer.
    Oh it was my lifelong desire to visit Winchester Mystery ever since I saw a WMH bumper sticker when I was 7 years old. Flash forward 20 years and I find myself living in San Jose. I finally got my wish and went on a tour of the house. Thank you for posting those photos. The tour wasn't quite as creepy as I thought it would be, but really interesting and worth the wait.
    And I just remembered that this is a Stephen King thread and sorry for the highjack!
    Last edited by Krissypoo; 11-24-2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: sorry for the highjack

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Lol How strange, I just finished watching Steve K's [because are such good friends we use informal names lol] "Storm of the Century" and this thread popped up.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    Lol How strange, I just finished watching Steve K's [because are such good friends we use informal names lol] "Storm of the Century" and this thread popped up.
    I love movies with snowstorms, etc.
    Thats cause I never see snow anymore, I guess.
    Gimme da snow

(If I was living in it again I prob wouldn't be saying that........Yay! Michigan, but no thanks)

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I love movies with snowstorms, etc.
    Thats cause I never see snow anymore, I guess.
    Gimme da snow
    Thats the reason I watched it. Haha. But then I feel sad, because I love snow and we NEVER get any.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    Thats the reason I watched it. Haha. But then I feel sad, because I love snow and we NEVER get any.
    i always watch Misery in the winter.... guess i like to watch movies where it is snowing outside, when it is snowing outside.... sorry to rub it in, suck...

endsleigh03 Guest
    The Stand is running on Sci Fi channel. That's ok, I have an extra 49 hours or so to blow.

fanable Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbilina View Post
    Oh, was anyone else REALLY dissapointed in the ending to the Dark Tower series? Maybe it was just me because the series was coming to an end, but I hated how it ended.
    I actually liked the way it ended; it seemed very much to fit the rest of the series and its message, IMO.

Stephen King is hands down my favorite author. I've not read another whose stories are intriguing enough to keep my interest for 1000+ pages per book.

My #1 Favorite SK book is "IT", hands down. I've read it about a dozen times since my junior year in high school, and I always find new angles on different parts.

A very close #2 would be the entire "Dark Tower" series. I picked up "The Gunslinger" from the library on a whim, not sure that I'd really enjoy it as it seemed to be mostly a western-type novel. Two months later I was actually arguing with the local librarian to let me check out the last book first since I'd been so faithful about reading the first 6 and had always returned them on time

Tied for #2 would be "On Writing", which has got to be the best book on writing I've ever read. You really feel like he's talking to you as a colleague, and not down to you as "I know all, so bow down!" Very good book if you're contemplating entering the writing field (as I am determined to do one day).

I also enjoyed Carrie, Firestarter, The Talisman, The Black House, Insomnia, and The Stand, although the latter I've only been able to get through a couple of times just because of the sheer volume.

linnydark Guest
    love Ste K...best book ever has got to be needful things.......the film they made to it was terrible though

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Tommyknockers, Firestarter (my first S.K. read), and Needful Things. The movie for Needful Things was really good as well. Tommyknockers movie was really BAD! The girl that would grind her teeth so much that she had to have metal ones killed me! Ugh! Great book, though.

Gardner32 Guest
    The Stand, it was just on tv the other day. Then Salems lot, and The Shining.

sheri Guest
    Boo!
    aaahhhhh thanks a lot endsleigh halloweens over put that thing back where it belongs youre gonna make someone lose more than their lunch lmao
    Last edited by sheri; 11-28-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: nm i do