Thread: Gene Krupa

Gene Krupa

Now here is a cool drummer back in his day. He did get busted for a marijuna rap. But who doesn't. But I like you to view a clip of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRjQzSwmEHw

This one has the coop and stanwick in it. I thought it was so cool.

poppie Guest
    Oh My - such a big fuss when he got busted for the pot. Same way with Robert Mitchem, predictions that their careers were ruined, etc. Glad to say that none of that happened. Life went on as usual.

His sister was a teacher at my High School (which was a public, not Catholic). She was a former nun and had a reputation for being very mean, cold, judgmental and nasty. Sort of like "The Church Lady" on SNL. To this day, I have no idea what her first name was, EVERYONE ALWAYS called her "MISS KRUPA," even the principal. Who knows, maybe her first name was Miss.

But... she used to brag a lot about her brother Gene. Of course this was in the late 1970's/early eighties and we didn't know who she was talking about. I remember going home and asking my Mom and Dad if they had ever heard of some guy named Gene Krupa. I was shocked when they told me he was a famous drummer. A few years later I saw him on Johnny Carson and I was amazed at how two totally different people could come from the same gene pool.

Dang, she should have hung out with her brother more often. She really needed to be loosened up.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

SueWahoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Oh My - such a big fuss when he got busted for the pot. Same way with Robert Mitchem, predictions that their careers were ruined, etc. Glad to say that none of that happened. Life went on as usual.
    If Robert Mitchum's Calypso singing didn't ruin his career then nothing would.

Sue

Ever seen "The Gene Krupa Story" starring Sal Mineo? I haven't seen it for years. It's so bad it's good.

Jaxxx Guest
    I loved this movie "Ball of Fire" didn't know he was that famous, she called him Krup in the movie. Great drummer.

Jaxxx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzx View Post
    Ever seen "The Gene Krupa Story" starring Sal Mineo? I haven't seen it for years. It's so bad it's good.
    No, I haven't seen it, did he have a rough life?

Hey the clip I have her is from "Bll of Fire" Did you see it?

Jaxxx Guest
    I've seen it many times, loved all the old men in the show, especially "Cuddles "

I seen that movie as a kid and I loved it. But that clip with 3 legends in it, well what can I say it was awesome. Cooper bing like a nerd but yet so sexy, Stanwick being as sexy as hell and Krupa playing those drums that made are Grandmothers swoon.

Here's an IMDB link to the Sal Mineo movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052840/.

Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Now here is a cool drummer back in his day. He did get busted for a marijuna rap. But who doesn't. But I like you to view a clip of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRjQzSwmEHw

This one has the coop and stanwick in it. I thought it was so cool.
    Great stuff. Gene and Roy Eldgridge!
    Nice to also See Barbara Stanwick although I expect her to yell, 'Heath, Nick...there's a fire in the Barn!' (had to steal from Airplane)

Dylgem22 Guest
    I have only been on the forum for almost a month now, so I am catching up on all the past threads .. LOL I am actually related to Gene .. he is my great, great uncle on my mothers side .. my grandfather was his nephew (his sister was my grandfathers mom) .. when my grandpa died, we were going through his stuff and found autographed pictures of Gene to him, and family pics, etc .. just a neat "claim to fame" for my family!! :-)

I always thought he was the best looking of all the musicians of the Big Band Era.

Dylgem22 Guest
    Like I said in my above post, Gene was my Great Great Uncle .. he looks just like my Grandpa on my moms side .. the pictures are uncanny!! He was handsome in his time!! And Sal Mineo definitely was a good pick playing him in the biopic "The Gene Krupa Story" .. :-)

SenorMuerto Guest
    I was fortunate enough to have parents who took me to see some of the legendary big band/swing/jazz artists. In the 1970's, I saw, among others, Duke Ellington, Pearl Bailey and Cab Calloway in "Hello Dolly", and the original Benny Goodman Quartet, with Goodman, Teddy Wilson, Lionel Hampton and Gene Krupa. We got to meet Krupa after the show and signed my program. He seemed thrilled to have young kids hearing him play and just a happy guy overall.