Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeff Buckley

LadyDay Guest
    I love this tribute to Jeff from Joan As Policewoman. Joan was his girlfriend at the time of his death - they were dating for a couple of years. She was a violinist but I get the impression that his death spurred her on to take up singing. Anyway I love this song and I think Jeff would have been so proud of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ2Pc-Y9hgE

ByrdSar Guest
    Thanks for the video LadyDay, that was terrific. To quote one of the comments on Youtube, it definately is "a breath of fresh air"...

LadyDay Guest
    I am so chuffed that Jeff is still being discovered by music lovers more than 10 years after his death.

His Hallelujah could be the UK no 1 in the singles this Christmas - it is a thousand times better than the current Simon Cowell backed release.

Bless you Jeff.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008...lexandra-burke

ByrdSar Guest
    You mean the one by Kate Vogle?

ByrdSar Guest
    Oh, it was done by some Burke lady...there's also a version by Kate Vogel which is good...

LadyDay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ByrdSar View Post
    Oh, it was done by some Burke lady...there's also a version by Kate Vogel which is good...
    Hi byrdstar. Simon Cowell is behind the uk version by Alexandra Burke.Alexandra is the winner of Pop Idol this year, the UK version of American Idol. I know Jeff's version of Hallelujah is one of Simon's fave songs because he's said so on TV before, so he decided to choose Hallelujah as the winner's song.

But UK Jeff fans are annoyed because the new version is just naff - imagine what Mariah Carey would do with it and you get the picture. Nothing against Mariah or Alex but Jeff's version is the definitive version to a lot of people, plus people are getting a bit fed up of these reality shows dominating the singles charts.

letty1970 Guest
    I totally agree. Ok alex does have a good voice but at least give her something original to sing. Dont ruin one of the most beatiful songs of all time by wailing your way through it. God it pisses me of.

hallucinex Guest
    Hello New Member ... if anyone has been catching up with the sound of Jeff Buckley on this thread - this was his equally talented father ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quJ1z-vdTK0 the sounds in their voices is unmistakable. Too bad for both of them.

cachluv Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLtyJAASfc

Scarlett Johansson, doing "Last Goodbye" from her latest album. This album is all Jeff Buckley covers.

Buckley fans I'm anxious to hear what you think.

Its just all sorts of wrong.

Its plodding and dull. She just destroys the song.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Why..oh..why..do..actors/actresses..insist..on..doing..this

Two Lost Souls Guest
    What year are those pictures with Courtney Love from?

And yeah, if they make a movie about Jeff, Jame Franco should definitely play him. The resemblance is uncanny.

vandal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Lost Souls View Post
    What year are those pictures with Courtney Love from?
    An article in Entertainment Weekly says that " he was seen out on the town with Courtney Love" shortly after the release of his 1994 album Grace.

Two Lost Souls Guest
    Wow, so she was going out on dates so soon after her husbands death? Okay.

vandal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Lost Souls View Post
    Wow, so she was going out on dates so soon after her husbands death? Okay.
    Does that really suprise you? it is Courtney Love haha

But I know what you mean, its only 4 months after Kurt's suicide

cherryghost Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post
    Hi byrdstar. Simon Cowell is behind the uk version by Alexandra Burke.Alexandra is the winner of Pop Idol this year, the UK version of American Idol. I know Jeff's version of Hallelujah is one of Simon's fave songs because he's said so on TV before, so he decided to choose Hallelujah as the winner's song.

But UK Jeff fans are annoyed because the new version is just naff - imagine what Mariah Carey would do with it and you get the picture. Nothing against Mariah or Alex but Jeff's version is the definitive version to a lot of people, plus people are getting a bit fed up of these reality shows dominating the singles charts.

Leonard Cohen has said that he was very pleased with Jeff's Version of Hallelujah ........it is beautiful but I like Leonards too! Its a hymn really isnt it!

Sydney goers of Last Leonard Cohen concerts would say leanard does the version of all time! He wrote the song God Damn it!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 05-06-2009 at 07:55 AM.

Stargazer Guest
    I was on youtube yesterday searching for some Jeff videos that I have not seen before (found some gems ). But I also saw that Scarlett Johansson supposedly did a cover. Needless to say, I was angry just thinking about her doing a cover of a Jeff Buckley song (seeing as I had listened to her "solo" album a few months ago. Blech), but now that I have actually listened to it, I am even angrier. There are very few musicians who could do Jeff justice with regard to covers, but Scarlett.....now that is just bad.

As for a possible Jeff Buckley film, I would be interested in seeing one if it came out, even though I don't think that anyone can really capture Jeff. James Franco looks a lot like him and would be the best man for the role IMO, but even so it would be difficult for him to "be" Jeff, if you know what I mean. But when he was hosting SNL recently, I couldn't even concentrate on anything he was saying because all I could think about was "Wow, he looks like Jeff. I mean really looks like Jeff!"

Courtney is just vile sometimes. It does not shock me in the least. But Jeff saw through it.

j-bug Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pvn...eature=related

i just found this.

sorry if its a repeat.

nedkelly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post

I did not know about Jeff and Love
    Last edited by nedkelly; 05-01-2009 at 10:14 PM.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post
    I love this tribute to Jeff from Joan As Policewoman. Joan was his girlfriend at the time of his death - they were dating for a couple of years. She was a violinist but I get the impression that his death spurred her on to take up singing. Anyway I love this song and I think Jeff would have been so proud of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ2Pc-Y9hgE

Obscure to imagine what Jeff would have thought of joans work! Impossible really!

Its what she does and the context needs to be her own!

Her dead boyfriend is in context too but Im sure she wants to work as an artist away from that!

She never had a very prominant public place (ie: public girlfriend) in his career when he was alive so I dont think its much of an issue unless she makes it one too!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 05-06-2009 at 07:48 AM.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    I did not know about Jeff and Love
    I guess Courtney and jeff slept together it looks like they did or were going too!

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    I just finished making a Jeff tribute. This one took alot of time finding enough pics to cover the song

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VS5iXqthxs0
    This was a nice tribute you did for him, Guest. It is wonderful.

FoxMulder Guest
    I just downloaded Grace earlier. His voice is amazing. Such a talent.

I think I just became a fan!

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder View Post
    I just downloaded Grace earlier. His voice is amazing. Such a talent.

I think I just became a fan!
    It's beautiful, isn't it, Fox?

nedkelly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLtyJAASfc

Scarlett Johansson, doing "Last Goodbye" from her latest album. This album is all Jeff Buckley covers.

Buckley fans I'm anxious to hear what you think.
    I really dont like this i dont know just sounds wwrong

Afghanhoundcalledmorrow Guest

Jeff Buckley Search/Recovery

Hi gang! The other day me and one of my friends were talking about Jeff Buckley and the subject of his death came up. It got me thinking so, I did search about the search for his body and the recovery of the body. I found many articles about it, but really no pics or anything like that. I thought that maybe someone else had some. Anyone?

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I never knew how he died. He was kind of hot at times.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

LadyDay Guest
    Hi Afghanhound. There are no photos. I recall his mother being grateful to the local police for ensuring no photos got out in the public domain. I saw some news footage of a bodybag being taken ashore and that's it. He was in the water for a week and had to be identified by his belly ring and green nail varnish on his toenails. So that gorgeous man wasn't a pretty sight at the end.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    I always get creeped out when trainwreck Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins talks about her relationship with him and how guilty she feels over his death. The woman makes everything about her.

LadyDay Guest
    Beelzebub I saw her being interviewed once about him - I didn't know she was doing a groundhog day on Jeff. I much prefer the stance that Joan Wasser and Rebecca Moore take on him. Dignified is the way to go!

Amity1 Guest
    New film chronicling the days leading up to his performance at his father's (Tim Buckley) tribute concert.

http://youtu.be/9f3lZFWluPI

Thoughts?

If I ever met courtney....I think I would run in the other direction.
    people have a tendency to wind up dead.
    maybe she's a jinx.
    I loved jeff's music.....but I think it was just an accident. that area of the river is well known.
    plus the current from the boat....no way I would go in there. no matter how hot I was.
    shame-----his father died of a heroin overdose, tim buckley was also very talented
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

Minty Guest
    I must confess to hearing about Jeff but never any of his songs. Anyway, Mike Doughty, formerly of Soul Coughing and since then, solo and sober (he used to be high on every drug ever at one point), actually met Jeff in like 1994 and wrote about his experiences with Jeff in his memoir, The Book of Drugs. He thinks Jeff was a great man but also strange and a huge flirt with ladies who came up to him at clubs after concerts. I can't give exact quotes unfortunately, because Mike is my favorite songwriter and his book is honestly a depressing read and I struggle with depression so I needed to be in the right mood to read most of it.

Reeve Carney as Jeff and Patricia Arquette as his mummy?! Can't wait,can't wait,can't wait,can't wait........
    http://www.jeffbuckley.com/pages/node/996
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

jlovescoffee Guest
    his father died of a heroin overdose, tim buckley was also very talented
    Ahhhh God, yes. Tim Buckley had a lovely gentleness. Loved this version of Song to the Siren
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h89AKTkGyeM

Darrianne Guest
    I really enjoyed those pictures - some I had never seen. He sure was a good looking man. His version of "Hallelujah" is one of my faves.

20 years ago today. Rest in Peace.
    his music was genius.
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]