Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Buckley

Guest Guest

Jeff Buckley

Surely I can't be the only Buckley fan here. There should be a story on the FAD website for him.

relander Guest
    Didn't he drown some years ago?

Guest Guest
    Yes in 97

'On the night he drowned, Buckley was traveling to a rehearsal with friend and roadie Keith Foti. En route, they stopped at a Memphis marina, where Buckley waded into the river fully-clothed to cool off. Waves tossed ashore by a passing boat forced Foti to briefly turn his attention away from Buckley as he protected the musician's radio and guitar. By the time he looked back to the river, Buckley had vanished. Six days after his disappearance, a massive search was ended when police discovered Buckley's body near Memphis's famous Beale Street. As of late 1997, there were plans to honor Buckley with a bench and a plaque at the city zoo, a spot he reportedly frequented. Buckley was survived by his mother and half-brother Corey.'

relander Guest
    Sounds kinda strange don't you think? Fully-clothed? Looks like he had other plans than to just cool off.

firegilnotguns Guest
    I'm a big Buckley fan as well, and yeah, he would be a great addition to FAD.

Have to admit to being a huge fan. Still find it surprising that he died so long ago..just remember being in shock that he died so strangely... so much potential but you can sooooooooooo hear his influence in so many muscians today.

Danse Macabre Guest
    I like him too. Strange death.
    Suicide?
    Muder?
    Acident?
    Last edited by Danse Macabre; 10-08-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: mispelling

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:51 AM.

looove jeff buckley. i am now realizing (because of this forum!) that i seem to be attracted to musicians who have died or will die weird deaths. silly me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

motherogod Guest
    I remember when this happened! Ugh, it was yet another shock that year. Thanks for remembering him!

Casanndra Guest
    A friend once told me that he died in the exact same place and the exact same way his father did. Any truth to this?

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    One of the only musicians I know who could take a Leonard Cohen song and make it his own.

RIP Jeff.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:38 AM.

lil_zino Guest
    I've been a huge Jeff Buckley fan since 1994. I remember hearing about him being missing right before my 17th birthday, I was so sad.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Jeff was a lifelong family friend of a friend of ours. Apparently he was a really sincere person. He was also very depressed though...um obviously.

september Guest
    he was awesome we saw him when he came to sydney for a promo type tour the whole audience were blown away by him he was truly amazing....i cried the day i heard he died he had the voice of an angel it was such a terrible loss....i cant believe he been gone nearly 10 years

mmmmmmmm he was lovely.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:38 AM.

He was definitely an awesome talent. I cried the first time I heard him sing "Hallelujah"

LadyDay Guest
    Another Jeff fan here.

I can recommend the book Dream Brother by David Brown which takes a look at the lives of both Jeff and his dad.

After reading that book, I do not believe for one minute his death was suicide.

Yes he had his moods but loved life too much, to even consider suicide.

But he was a risk taker and it was just like him to jump in a river fully clothed with his boots on.

His friend was nearby on the river bank and jeff was floating on his back singing Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love.

A nearby pleasure boat went by and set up the currents that took him down, locals had long known that you don't go swimming in that part of the river - they lose a few people each year.

deathybrad Guest
    A: Never heard of him.
    B: He must have been high as hell.

Grungegirl83 Guest
    What the hell happened? I remember reading about it in Rolling stone, but something is up, you don't just wade into a river and end up dead. Does anyone know any info about Jeff? Drugs or depression problems, maybe?

LadyDay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grungegirl83 View Post
    What the hell happened? I remember reading about it in Rolling stone, but something is up, you don't just wade into a river and end up dead. Does anyone know any info about Jeff? Drugs or depression problems, maybe?
    There was no drugs in his system when he died. He had got involved in drugs after years of being a "good boy" but had cleaned up his act to the point he'd even stopped smoking cigarettes at the time he died. From what I can tell he didn't develop a full addiction but was curious about the drugs scene, something he'd avoided when he was younger.

He moved to Memphis in order to work on the second album because he needed the privacy. He was too well known in New York and wanted to be able to play at places like Barristers in memphis without the die hard fans tracking him down.

All the people that knew him personally including his band, say he was not the type to kill himself and had spoken to him earlier that day on the phone and he was in good spirts.

He did wade into the river. Him and his friend had left the rented house Jeff lived in to go and play some music at their rehearsal room. Jeff's band were flying in that night to rehearse and record the second album. Jeff and his friend stopped at the river on a whim, it was a hot night, they had a portable hi fi and sat on the bank playing music. Jeff went into the river and his friend warned him not to go too far out. Jeff was in there for about 15 minutes swimming around on his back singing but getting further and further out.

A pleasure boat went past, as the friend moved the stereo to stop it getting wet from the moving water Jeff went under - a man on the under side heard someone call "help". Jeff was a capable swimmer but there are some currents so strong that you can't fight them - and if you're fully clothed, with heavy boots on and your pockets weighed down with keys etc, you're in trouble.

I really do believe it was just a really really dumb accident, no death wish whatsover. He was a lovely guy but a silly boy sometimes.

Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah is #2 on iTunes.

Well, it turns out that American Idol contestant Jason Castro performed the song this week and Simon mentioned that the Jeff Buckley version is one of his faves.

Lets hope jeffs talent gets recognistion again

cherryghost Guest
    He had toured Australia the year or so before he died I think, It was just one of those deaths I could never get my head around. I had always loved his Father Tim Buckleys Albums "Greetings From LA and Sefronia" and still do they are beautiful. But Jeff was my age and I liked him too! Just saw an exhibition last year of photographs of Jeff Buckley at Blender Gallery in Paddington, he was young and beautiful but I think his father was more beautiful!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 03-16-2008 at 12:43 AM.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    strange story-freaky death

Guest Guest
    Some pics, I have alot of Jeff on my walls

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

cms you truely bring some fab photos to this forum . Im truely glad to see what you upload...thanks

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    That photograph has a grainy quality that lends itself to a 1950's style.
    It looks like it was taken in 1959 of a rocker hrs before he dies and not 1997.

Legendary stuff!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 04-12-2008 at 05:49 PM.

tngirl1967 Guest
    There are 2 memorial plaques in the Memphis Zoo "Cat Country" exhibit near the tigers for him, I had pictures but can't find them right now. They are probably online somewhere. I know they have had them up for many years now, I had the pictures of them from back in 2000.

lil_zino Guest
    Wow! Loads of Jeff Buckley photos. Some I've seen, a few I haven't. Always great to see photos again and to discover new ones.

The reason I like photos of Jeff so much? He always seemed to wear his emotion on his sleeve and it really shows in pictures.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    cms you truely bring some fab photos to this forum . Im truely glad to see what you upload...thanks
    Thankyou for saying so, I'm glad people enjoy them. Glad to see my efforts don't go down the shitter lol
    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Guest Guest
    Some of these pics were taken by Merri cyr who went on tour with Jeff and got stacks of cool pics. The best book I think is hers 'a wished for song', it's not a biography just stories and comments from those who met and knew him. Has anyone else got it?:

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tngirl1967 View Post
    There are 2 memorial plaques in the Memphis Zoo "Cat Country" exhibit near the tigers for him, I had pictures but can't find them right now. They are probably online somewhere. I know they have had them up for many years now, I had the pictures of them from back in 2000.

What actually happened to his body, was he cremated? Buried? I never actually found out.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    A: Never heard of him.
    B: He must have been high as hell.
    Nice of you to make that assumption without even knowing who he was..derh

lil_zino Guest
    FYI, Jeff was cremated. I've seen it mentioned in articles about him as well as the book Dream Brother by David Browne. I thought it was a pretty good book, worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

I also have a Wished For Song. My real estate agent asked me to put some of my books in storage because all the ones I have laying around make my condominium look cluttered. I just can't bring myself to box that one up though.

Oh and I love seeing the pictures of Jeff and CLove! She always makes me giggle when I see her expression in them!

Guest Guest
    I have the book dream brother, haven't read all of it tho. So where are his ashes?

Courtney looks hell scary in them pics

Great pics Yet again cms! I always get a james dean vibe of him...must be the cheekbones! Wonder if he would be still be as popular today if he lived?

lil_zino Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CMS View Post
    I have the book dream brother, haven't read all of it tho. So where are his ashes?

Courtney looks hell scary in them pics
    His road manager Gene Bowen gave them to Jeff's mom Mary Guibert. As far as I know, she has them at her residence. At least, I haven't came across anything that said she had them scattered or that.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    Great pics Yet again cms! I always get a james dean vibe of him...must be the cheekbones! Wonder if he would be still be as popular today if he lived?
    I think he would be a big success had he lived if 'sketches for my sweetheart the drunk' are anything to go by, he could even just sing on stage live without an instrument and just stomp his feet and it would sound great. I think he would be involved with alot of behind the scenes things too with other artists.

LadyDay Guest
    Hi Jeff fans. If Jeff lived he would definitely still be working with music, performing and maybe producing. I don't think he could have done anything else - he was a born musician.

I vaguely remember his mother being disgusted by Courtney Love - Courtney suggested something to him on their date which angered the mother. What could it have been? Drugs?

I know Jeff said after that one date "I should have known Courtney is as shallow as her lyrics."