Thread: Charlie Rose

Charlie Rose

If they really were friends, you'd think Rose would have known the guy was alive and well. Wouldn't you?

NEW YORK (AP) -- Filmmaker George Butler wants his friends to
    know he's very much alive, despite a premature obituary on "The
    Charlie Rose Show" this week.
    During Rose's annual New Year's Eve tribute on PBS to notable
    figures who died during the year, he included Butler, whose 1977 film
    "Pumping Iron" featured a then-unknown bodybuilder named Arnold
    Schwarzenegger. The screen even flashed a Butler tombstone,
    1943-2008.
    The PBS show had confused him with another George Butler, a
    longtime jazz record executive who signed Wynton Marsalis, who died
    April 9.
    What's odd about the mistake is that Rose and Butler are old
    friends through Rose's first wife, meeting shortly after they
    graduated from college in North Carolina.
    Butler, who lives in Holderness, N.H. and is making a film on
    Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans, didn't see his obit but learned
    about it when a fellow filmmaker called. He found out that some
    friends in New York were even planning a wake.
    "I am bemused," he said. "Charlie did a great job in
    retracting the huge error. Still, it's very disconcerting."
    At least he was in good company, Butler said, noting that he was
    featured with Paul Newman, Tim Russert and William F. Buckley. A
    contrite Rose was on the phone with him three times on New Year's
    Day to apologize, he said.
    Rose, who did not immediately respond to e-mail messages seeking
    comment, apologized at the opening of Thursday's show.
    "The George Butler who is my friend is alive and well and
    living in New Hampshire," Rose said. "We apologize to him and his
    friends, and look forward to having him on the program in the new
    year."

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    APTV 01-02-09 1636EST

guardmom2008 Guest
    I guess they really weren't that close of friends. He should have played along and went to the wake, that would have been funny.

jeca Guest
    How good of friends could they really be? LOL I'm usually pretty sure if my good friends are alive or dead.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    I guess they really weren't that close of friends. He should have played along and went to the wake, that would have been funny.

Sodapop Guest
    LOL oopsie!

MorbidMolly Guest
    * giggle *

Wow, maybe it was a Freudian obituary slip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Wow, maybe it was a Freudian obituary slip.

LOL.......maybe

LadyCurry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    That would have been funny!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeca View Post
    How good of friends could they really be? LOL I'm usually pretty sure if my good friends are alive or dead.
    I'm not. Sometimes I go for a long while without talking to some friends I've had for years. We get busy. Of course, now with facebook we keep up most every day. I love facebook!

Long Gone Day Guest
    I...guess....Im...one...of..the..few..people...that...think...he..is...a..lousy
    interviewer...and..wonder...how...he...got..the...job.....I...love..his..guests
    the...selection...and...variety.....but...the...stupid...questions...that..come
    out...of...his...mouth........Ive...seen...some...guests...just...pause..and
    stare...in..response..to..some..of..them...and..then..quickly...recover..
    Maybe...hes...partaying...a...little...too...much...lately?.....Or..still?
    Or...not...enough?

Charlie Rose suspended due to sexual harassment allegations - he seemed like a nice guy

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...claims-1060477

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Charlie Rose suspended due to sexual harassment allegations - he seemed like a nice guy

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...claims-1060477
    ...AT FIRST!!!

(Sorry, but as an MST3K fanatic, that was an irresistible setup.)
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

So Charlie would invite his young female assistants to his house - he would get a shower and then walk around naked ?? WTF ??

Some people like to air dry.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    lol. its like once a day now with these guys. who the hell did these guys think they are? i dont get how you can feel you
    can treat ppl like this. oh well. just waiting every day now for a new name.

Man, these allegations must make ol' Charlie long for the day when the worst thing he was doing was mistakenly declaring his friend dead.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

CBS Fired Him! Wow, didn't see that coming this quickly.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/cbs-...se-1202620661/
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    lol

After Charlie Rose next one should be:
    Regis Philbin.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

One thing these people seem to have in common is that they're enthusiastic schmoozers. As con men, they love that stuff. Harvey Weinstein, Bill Clinton, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Charlie Rose, etc. I read that Rose had attended a party almost every night for many years.

Besides sexual harassment, Rose exemplified another problem in today's world -- a logjam of very old people at the top of the food chain who are refusing to step aside gracefully, and are demanding to cling to their jobs until they're rolled out on a gurney. The people I'm talking about aren't Baby Boomers -- they're from the WW2 Generation!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tt-ousted.html

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddledy Gumbo View Post
    Besides sexual harassment, Rose exemplified another problem in today's world -- a logjam of very old people at the top of the food chain who are refusing to step aside gracefully, and are demanding to cling to their jobs until they're rolled out on a gurney. The people I'm talking about aren't Baby Boomers -- they're from the WW2 Generation!

so true! they have had power for soooooo long, they just can't let it go.

Funny thing is just like he did with Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey and Brett Ratner, Seth McFarlane also called out Charlie Rose a few years ago on Family Guy. It's getting to the stage if you wanna know who's gonna be next, all you will need to do is look back at old episodes.

Little Charlie rose, then shriveled from the blows.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    so true! they have had power for soooooo long, they just can't let it go.
    The congressional pharmacist said he's filled Alzneimer's prescriptions for members of Congress.

I think sooner or later something very bad will come of this, and we might start mandating retirement at 75 or so.

Those pics from the Daily Mail, he is beginning to look like Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    So Charlie would invite his young female assistants to his house - he would get a shower and then walk around naked ?? WTF ??
    As you do...
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

The congressional pharmacist said he's filled Alzneimer's prescriptions for members of Congress.

I think sooner or later something very bad will come of this, and we might start mandating retirement at 75 or so.
    Yes- the term limits we all want, just not in its preferred form.

Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    Yes- the term limits we all want, just not in its preferred form.
    Term limits will never happen, especially for this issue. The House would have to approve a constitutional amendment by a two-thirds vote, and who thinks the fossils in Congress would do that to themselves? Further, the country is too divided now for two-thirds of the state legislatures to agree on anything. Besides, people are hypocrites about this issue. They scream and moan that they want term limits, but they vote THEIR OWN fossils back into office every time.

What could happen though is that a state like California that has ballot initiatives could approve a measure ithat would require all elected and appointed officials to undergo yearly testing for dementia and drug use. That would get the ball rolling.

Term limits will never happen, especially for this issue. The House would have to approve a constitutional amendment by a two-thirds vote, and who thinks the fossils in Congress would do that to themselves? Further, the country is too divided now for two-thirds of the state legislatures to agree on anything. Besides, people are hypocrites about this issue. They scream and moan that they want term limits, but they vote THEIR OWN fossils back into office every time.

What could happen though is that a state like California that has ballot initiatives could approve a measure ithat would require all elected and appointed officials to undergo yearly testing for dementia and drug use. That would get the ball rolling.
    Yep - I think the ballot box already affords for term limits.
    Dementia and drug testing? Probably needs to happen as a qualification measure to run for office and yearly after election.
    People who drive trucks for a living take drug tests regularly, other industries require them, sometimes at random; making laws is serious business too.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Yep - I think the ballot box already affords for term limits.
    Dementia and drug testing? Probably needs to happen as a qualification measure to run for office and yearly after election.
    People who drive trucks for a living take drug tests regularly, other industries require them, sometimes at random; making laws is serious business too.
    I once had to submit to a drug test for a private sector job. Why in the hell shouldn't elected and appointed officials have to do it too?

In fact, I'd increase the frequency of the drug tests to every 90 days for those people, since yearly drug tests are much easier to beat. I bet you'd catch a much higher percentage of drug abusers among public officials than by testing welfare recipients.

I'd also add yearly psychological testing for them, because I think that a majority of politicians suffer from a personality disorder.

And the results of all their tests should be posted online.

The only way this can be launched, however, is with an end-around -- a ballot initiative. It has to be done to politicians without their leave, without begging for their permission to do it.

Generals in the military have to retire at 64 -- not because they become incompetent at 64, but because their staying in office longer than that would impede the career progress of younger people. Charlie Rose was 75 years old and worth an estimated $23 million. He was old enough and rich enough that he didn't have to cling viciously to his job and use it to chase women, while keeping younger anchors down.
    Last edited by Skiddledy Gumbo; 11-26-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Exactly! Walter Cronkite, heck, even Carson, Leno and Letterman knew it was time to step aside!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!