Thread: Grace Metalious

radiojane Guest

Grace Metalious

I always thought her story was so sad... Read the Vanity Fair article linked at the bottom.

Grace Metalious (September 8, 1924 â?? February 25, 1964) was an American author, best known for the controversial novel Peyton Place.

Early life

She was born into poverty and a broken home as Marie Grace de Repentigny in the mill town of Manchester, New Hampshire. Blessed with the gift of imagination, she was driven to write from an early age. After graduating from Manchester Central High School, she married George Metalious in 1943, became a housewife and mother, lived in near squalor â?? and continued to write.

Peyton Place

In 1956, she captured the attention of an editor with Peyton Place, which became publishing's second "blockbuster" (following Gone with the Wind in 1936). Reviled by the clergy and dismissed by most critics as "trash," it nevertheless remained on the New York Times bestseller list for more than a year and became an international phenomenon. The dark secrets of a small New England town made juicy reading for millions worldwide. Peyton Place appears to have been a combination of Gilmanton, New Hampshire, the village where she lived (and which resented notoriety), Laconia, New Hampshire, the only nearby town of comparable size to Peyton Place and site of Metalious' favorite bar, and Alton, New Hampshire, the town where a few years previously a daughter had murdered her incestuous abusive father. Hollywood lost no time in cashing in on the book's success â?? a year after its publication, Peyton Place was a major box office hit.
    Metalious â?? the "Pandora in bluejeans"[1] â?? was said by some to be a dreadful writer and a purveyor of filth, but her most famous book changed the publishing industry forever. With regard to her success, she said, "If I'm a lousy writer, then an awful lot of people have lousy taste,"[2] and as to the frankness of her work, she stated, "Even Tom Sawyer had a girlfriend, and to talk about adults without talking about their sex drives is like talking about a window without glass."[3]

Later works

Her other novels, all of which sold well but never achieved the same success as her first, were Return to Peyton Place (1959), The Tight White Collar (1961) and No Adam in Eden (1963).

Death

Metalious died of alcoholism on February 25, 1964. "If I had to do it over again," she once remarked, "it would be easier to be poor. Before I was successful, I was as happy as anyone gets."[4] She is buried in Smith Meeting House Cemetery in Gilmanton, New Hampshire.

Legacy

In 2006, Sandra Bullock was slated to star in and co-produce a biopic of Metalious' life.[5]

HERE IS A LINK TO MORE SPECIFICS ON HER SAD LIFE - IT'S AN ARTICLE FROM VANITY FAIR
    http://www.vanityfair.com/fame/featu...tonplace200603

Interesting!!! So sad to read that something she wanted so badly in life (success) turned out to be so bitter.
    It's hard to ride at night...on your bicycle with no lights to guide...just take a chance and ride. Olson and Louris

John Connor Guest
    Poor Grace.
    Don't wish to hard...
    Really fascinating person though.

deathpool Guest
    I loved reading Peyton Place. It caused shocks in the 50s because of the themes of abuse, murder or illegitmacy.

Guest Guest
    Interesting life. Seems a lot of great talents lead lives filled with sorrow, depression and substance abuse! I have such admiration for those who fight on, even if they don't win!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    She was really something. Such a sad end.

The book was considered so racy back then, and reading it now, it's pretty tame by comparison of contemporary fiction. Still a great read, though.

I wonder if Grace simply just had this one good book in her (even with flaws which careful editing really helped) and that was it--- a one-hit-wonder. Or maybe if she'd been let alone for another 10 years she could have accumulated enough material for another one... But TPTB, hoping for more $$$, with their relentless demands for more of the same, and her own unsophisticated nature and greed ruined her.

I don't see her as a literary or feminist heroine, any more than she did herself---
    on the contrary, the sad example of her life underlined just why all the standards and strictures she tried to flout in PEYTON PLACE exist in the first place. No admiration for what she put her family through--- I'll give her Ex some credit for refusing to say any more negative stuff about her, but I'm SURE he had PLENTY to say, back in the day. And who would have BLAMED him?

(P.S., I've since come to have negative thoughts about rather a lot of my former literary icons, Sylvia Plath comes to mind, but expressed that on another thread.)

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    I wonder if Grace simply just had this one good book in her (even with flaws which careful editing really helped) and that was it--- a one-hit-wonder. Or maybe if she'd been let alone for another 10 years she could have accumulated enough material for another one... But TPTB, hoping for more $$$, with their relentless demands for more of the same, and her own unsophisticated nature and greed ruined her.

I don't see her as a literary or feminist heroine, any more than she did herself---
    on the contrary, the sad example of her life underlined just why all the standards and strictures she tried to flout in PEYTON PLACE exist in the first place. No admiration for what she put her family through--- I'll give her Ex some credit for refusing to say any more negative stuff about her, but I'm SURE he had PLENTY to say, back in the day. And who would have BLAMED him?

(P.S., I've since come to have negative thoughts about rather a lot of my former literary icons, Sylvia Plath comes to mind, but expressed that on another thread.)
    Yeah, I'm running into that problem too... Find out what they're really like and it's kind of a let down sometimes.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post

Grace Metalious wrote four books in total and they all sold well.
    Peyton Place, Return to Peyton Place, The Tight White Collar and No Adam in Eden. I don't think of writers as heroes but both she and Sylvia Plath were talented in their chosen fields. I'm not much for poetry but her novel The Bell Jar is a great book and for it's dark subject matter, very funny. Both were very obsessive as writers tend to be.

Long Gone Day Guest
    *Most..men..lead..lives..of..quiet..desperation..and..go..to..the..grave..with..the
    song..still..in..them*......(Thoreau).......A..quote...I...have..heard..about..once.. a
    month..from...my..creative...talented...extremely..bi-polar...father...for..the..whole
    of..my..life......and..again...on..his..phone..call..today..where..he..uttered..it..o nce
    more..from..the..hospital..and..then..hung..up.

I..really...dont...think..they...mean..to..hurt..anyone........but..they..do..

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    *Most..men..lead..lives..of..quiet..desperation..and..go..to..the..grave..with..the
    song..still..in..them*......(Thoreau).......A..quote...I...have..heard..about..once.. a
    month..from...my..creative...talented...extremely..bi-polar...father...for..the..whole
    of..my..life......and..again...on..his..phone..call..today..where..he..uttered..it..o nce

I agree with you but they hurting alot too.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I agree with you but they hurting alot too.
    I..know...keeun.....People..have..said..the..same..thing..about..me...
    Its..why..Im..taking..care..of..him...and..the..other..three..sisters..arent.
    Ill...never..live..down...my..own..days...where..my..family..is..concerned..
    But...I...dont...want..the..kind..of..lives..they..have..either...

John Connor Guest
    I don't want to end up like Grace Metalious or Sylvia Plath but being a writer (MY BOOK IS ALMOST DONE!!!!!) I can understand them. Writers are such a conundrum. They're loners but they're needy. They can be bastards for sure and more self absorbed than any movie queen. It's scary and unstable but i honestly would not change it.
    I have chatted with Luanne about this and I do think one of the reasons for the drinking, the drugging, the bi polar behavior--they mask the self hate when you don't write because it's always gnawing away at you.
    Anyway...

Long Gone Day Guest
    I...know..exactly..what..you...mean.......I...accept...what...I...am.....

John Connor Guest
    I...know..exactly..what..you...mean.......I...accept...what...I...am.....

It takes awhile.....
    Anyway poor Grace!
    Apparently the town she came from is still in a snit about Peyton Place.

Long Gone Day Guest
    I..like..her..quote.......*If..Im..a..lousy..writer..than..an..awful..lot..of.people. .have
    lousy..taste.*...........And...the..press..referring..to..her..as..a..*Pandora..in..B lue
    Jeans*

John Connor Guest

TheMysterian Guest
    "Grace swore, a lot, and she drank, a lot, and she had lots of guys around her. She got married and divorced and had affairs. And she talked about sex and she talked about real life and she didn't filter it. I didn't know any other woman who was like that in the 50s."

The article is a fascinating look into the author's life! Great post ,thanks!

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    "Grace swore, a lot, and she drank, a lot, and she had lots of guys around her. She got married and divorced and had affairs. And she talked about sex and she talked about real life and she didn't filter it. I didn't know any other woman who was like that in the 50s."

The article is a fascinating look into the author's life! Great post ,thanks!

She certainly had a champagne chin.

Very interesting woman, love reading about her, thanks

There's a LOT of room on that tombstone. Could it be that her Ex or her kids intend to be buried there too, some day? Well, if the plot's paid for, and all....

NOVSTORM Guest
    Excelent post..we used to the that book "the station of the cross" because so many of us got caught with it and the nuns made us say the stations of the cross lol

radiojane Guest
    Yeah I feel for the brilliant and talented in this world. They're almost always tortured souls...

Sometimes I'm glad that my major talent is picking up things with my toes, and the only thought that tortures me is the thought of getting on the scale.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Boy...If she had written that stuff 20 years before she did...They woulda burned her at the stake...She has brass balls the size of TEXAS!!!

SusanCarole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by long gone day View Post
    *most..men..lead..lives..of..quiet..desperation..and..go..to..the..grave..with..the
    song..still..in..them*......(thoreau).......a..quote...i...have..heard..about..once.. a

why do you type like this?

SusanCarole Guest
    I..know...keeun.....People..have..said..the..same..thing..about..me...
    Its..why..Im..taking..care..of..him...and..the..other..three..sisters..arent.
    Ill...never..live..down...my..own..days...where..my..family..is..concerned..
    But...I...dont...want..the..kind..of..lives..they..have..either...

Please stop. Take a typing class.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanCarole View Post
    Please stop. Take a typing class.
    I think she mentioned she had a broken space bar...