Thread: Bangkok New Years Nightclub Fire

bluesma Guest

Bangkok New Years Nightclub Fire

Bangkok nightclub fire kills 54, injures 100

By DENIS D. GRAY, Associated Press Writer Denis D. Gray, Associated Press Writer 11 mins ago
    BANGKOK, Thailand – A fire swept through a high class nightclub jammed with hundreds of New Year's revelers in the Thai capital, killing at least 54 people and injuring about 100, officials said early Thursday. Victims died from burns, smoke inhalation and injuries during the stampede to escape from the club, which had only one door for entry and exit, police Maj. Gen. Chokchai Deeprasertwit said.
    He said that the fire may have been caused by firecrackers brought into the Santika Club by guests or sparks flying from a New Year's countdown display on the nightclub stage.
    Police said 53 people people were confirmed dead at the club and another person died at a hospital. Workers counting bodies told The Associated Press that about 100 others were injured when the blaze broke out in the building, which has two stories and a basement.
    The rescue workers said most of the bodies were found in the basement of the club, which attracts a well-heeled crowd of Thais and foreigners. The corpses, placed in white body bags, were laid out in rows in the parking lot in front of the club.
    A video provided to AP Television News by one of the rescue workers showed bloodied, bruised and burned victims being dragged out of the burning club or managing to run through the door or shattered windows. Flames were racing through the entire building during the rescue operation.
    Witnesses said several hundred people were inside the club when the blaze erupted.
    One local Web site about the entertainment scene in Bangkok described the club as attracting "an affluent Thai student crowd, with Euro models and Westerners also popping in" with a "whisky-sipping crowd all focused on a large stage."
    Another site says that the high ceiling and a cross in the main room makes one feel "like walking into a church."

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Fire-s...108bangkokfire

Gruesome.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Seagorath Guest
    Buzzkill on New Years...

hoxharding Guest
    BANGKOK -- A fire at a top Bangkok nightclub killed at least 55 people celebrating the New Year on Thursday and injured more than 100 others, rescue workers said.
    "We were all dancing and suddenly there was a big flame that came out of the front of the stage and everybody was running away," female partygoer Oh Benjamas told Reuters on the street outside the smouldering wreckage of the Santika club.
    Dozens of bodies wrapped in white cotton sheets lay on the pavement as fire crews moved in to douse the smouldering embers of the club on Ekkamai, a street popular with foreign revellers and high-society Thais.
    Many of the bodies were charred beyond recognition and the blaze had completely gutted the building. Rescue teams used pick-up trucks to ferry the corpses from the scene.
    Witness Tos Maddy, who estimated 400 people were packed inside the building, said he heard what he thought was an electrical explosion around 1230 a.m. local time, followed by a stampede for the exits.
    "Everything went boom and people started running. The fire went very quickly," he told Reuters.
    Others described flames licking the ceiling before it caved in.
    "I was in the bathroom and when I walked out, I saw flames in the roof and it fell to the floor," 28-year-old Montika Boontang told Reuters in the nearby Bangkok Hospital, where the majority of the injured were being treated.
    Thanat Wongsanga, deputy chief of the nearby Thong Lor police station, said the cause of the blaze had not yet been determined although local media said an electrical fault was probably to blame.
    Local police superintendant Suthin Suppuang said 128 people had been injured.
    Bangkok's nightspots, some of which can accommodate several thousand people, have often been the subject of safety concerns although they have been incident-free for the last five years.
    The Thai capital was hit two years ago on New Year's Eve by a series of small explosions in which several people were killed and dozens injured.
    The blasts were blamed variously on fallout from the 2006 coup against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and Muslim militants who have waged a separatist rebellion in Thailand's southernmost provinces since 2003.
    © Thomson Reuters 2008

Close
    Presented by

#commentform-narrow { display: none; } #recent-comments { width: auto; padding-top: 0.25em; margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #recent-comments #comment_head { font: bold 14px georgia, serif; } #recent-comments .comment_box { width: auto; margin-bottom: 0.5em; }

hoxharding Guest
    Thailand's Channel 7 reports that foreigners are among the fatalities in the Bangkok nightclub fire; club had only 1 door

OK - for a business guy I would try the following bars/nightclubs that are fun and filled with 'normal people' - they have both foreign & thai guys and women. Not hookers. They would all be respectable if you were going there with a foreign co-worker, but you could still chat up with a local thai woman (non-prostitute). Most are only rocking on Thursday-Fri-Sat and many have a cover charge but includes a free drink.

Classy and expensive :
    Spassos - basement of the Grand Hyatt Erawan hotel
    Conrad Hotel bar (forget the name - just follow the loud music) - on Wireless Road
    Jazz Club on the basement floor of Sheraton Sukhumvit Hotel (there may be a few 'high class' hookers here but in general they stay to themselves unless you approach them)

A little more wild - Thai chicks who are looking for a foreign boyfriend - who lives in Thailand too:
    Q-bar off Sukhumvit Soi 11 (near Ambassador Hotel) - small, loud and pretty wild
    The Bed Nightclub - Sukhumvit Soi 7 or 11 (near Federal hotel) - similar to Q-bar

The most wild:
    Santika nightclub near Ekamai (loud and very large) - a little bit younger crowd (20's)
    Discotech in the basement of Novatel at Siam Square

I also know that Kosan Road is pretty wild and a reputation for the younger crowd - but I preferred the places listed above for non-hooker nights out with a girlfriend.
    • 1 year ago
    Last edited by hoxharding; 12-31-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    O.K...I admit it...I know nobody else will...I laugh everytime I hear Bangkok...I mean COME ON!!!

Hate to hear this thought...Too sad...

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Gruesome.
    Beyond

Lita Guest
    Welcome to the New Year. Wasn't there another fire in Japan a couple of years ago where this kind of thing also happened? I know there was a horrendeous fire in New Jersey here that killed 30+ people but I seem to remember a fire that within the past year or two, maybe three, in an Asian country where a lot of people died. There was also a lack of doors for people to escape from. Sad!

Sukhumvit Soi 63 (Soi Ekamai) is quite a bit away from the city centre though one of the more favoured streets. I was living in Soi 68 but I dont remember any clubs around there. I guess as the city rents increased the clubs moved out east. Nothing attractive about this end of town at all.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

primescore Guest
    Dangerous place. I had an ex-roommate move out to Thailand for employment, and she was a partygoer. I hope she's OK.

deathpool Guest
    The death toll has risen to 60. The fire just spread with frightening speed. I'm just watching it on the news. It's pretty distressing. They have some of the bodies lined outside. Such a sad ending to 2008. The nightclub looks gutted.

Guest Guest
    Great start to the new year eh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    Welcome to the New Year. Wasn't there another fire in Japan a couple of years ago where this kind of thing also happened? I know there was a horrendeous fire in New Jersey here that killed 30+ people but I seem to remember a fire that within the past year or two, maybe three, in an Asian country where a lot of people died. There was also a lack of doors for people to escape from. Sad!
    Lita, the most recent fire disaster we had here was earlier this year, when an internet cafe (which, like many, was being used as a hotel for folks who couldn't afford regular hotels and had no homes) went up in flames. There was a shedload of fire safety violations, one of them being blocked exits. People were unable to escape.

As I'm typing this, I'm also remembering the big Kabuki-cho fire, back in 2001. Here's the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myojo_56_building_fire

kitty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

SlippyInvader Guest
    How awful. Apparently they didn't have any fire exits anywhere in the club.

deathpool Guest
    There was just one fire exit in the the whole place ;(

SlippyInvader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathpool View Post
    There was just one fire exit in the the whole place ;(

Ah so there was one..Thanks for clearing that up.

Nothing scares me more than fire. Living room of my beach apartment caught on fire one July 4th. No one was inside. It was nothing, really, compared to what could have happened, but it scared me to death, and I cannot even imagine being trapped in a building on fire. RIP.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyInvader View Post
    Ah so there was one..Thanks for clearing that up.
    Probably the door they came in by.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

SlippyInvader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Nothing scares me more than fire. Living room of my beach apartment caught on fire one July 4th. No one was inside. It was nothing, really, compared to what could have happened, but it scared me to death, and I cannot even imagine being trapped in a building on fire. RIP.

Same here..I'm paranoid about fire, I pull all the plugs out every evening before going to bed and make sure the smoke alarm is working. It must be the worse way to go in a fire.

JestersKiss Guest
    Tragic.

deathpool Guest
    you think it could be so easily preventable these days.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyInvader View Post
    How awful. Apparently they didn't have any fire exits anywhere in the club.
    What an awful way to die!
    When I enter a building the first thing I do is look for exits.
    With my luck they would be locked.

I can never get over photos of these nightclubs with people
    packed in a pile sticking out of the door.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathpool View Post
    you think it could be so easily preventable these days.

Yeah!
    With the history of this for decades you would think so??

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Great start to the new year eh!!

No kidding!

MoonRabbit Guest

See what I mean.
    This is not the Bangkok fire.

deathpool Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    Yeah!
    With the history of this for decades you would think so??
    The whole nightclub was totally gutted out.

ceege Guest
    Dying by fire in some pit of a nightclub is not how I want to go. The incredible fear and suffering is beyond thinking about.

Mrs Tingles Guest
    This is awful! How terrifying! I was in Bangkok for NY and was (no shit) very close to going. My blood ran cold when i saw the name of it the next day on the news.

On NY eve we looked up clubs in out in the Lonely Planet guide in our area and it listed five. Santika was one of them. i wanted to go cause it was the only one that listed they had live bands. we looked up how far it was and was one sky train station away and about 8 blocks. felt too lazy to walk those blocks, so went to the pub down the road instead. So very glad we did. I heard some awful stories from the locals the next day. Thailand has a shit safety record. I hope they learn a lesson from this!!! NO FIREWORKS INSIDE!!!

Bumpie because it was brought up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

mandee1005 Guest
    So much for their one night in Bangkok...
    Last edited by mandee1005; 08-06-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mandee1005 View Post
    So much for their one night in Banjkok...

Since I was just listening to that song a few hours ago, your post made me laugh.

Horrid tragedy. Fires scare the sh!t out of me.

Oh my Lord Jesus. I finally looked at the pics. Horrible way that those people died. One horrible night in Bangkok.

Well. I won't be getting a good night's sleep tonight.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

WARNING DEAD BODIES Youtube vid of inside right after the fire was put out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4lHdbp91VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd2PZYMZojo

Video of before the fire inside the club
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZXfWKBnGWA
    Last edited by pkstracy; 03-25-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks for finding it again. I just mentioned this in the Station thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I just saw the actual video of what happened. My goodness. The fire literally rained down on them. Just awful.

And in keeping up with the going down the rabbit hole tradition I just watched the Stardust movie. how awful. And I will never view the song Hearts of Glass by Blondie the same again after today.

Also Was the scene of the Stardust fire the dramatization included in one of the Station nightclub fire videos???