Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lockerbie

The American Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has talked to
    the Scottish/British Ambassador to Washington and said she
    and President Obama are upset with this persons early release.
    As someone who was born in Scotland I'm also upset as I am sure
    most of the Scottish people are.

Agree if he is guilty he should rot in hell and not be ever freed . But arn't the authorities getting uncomfortable now as they are not 100% sure that he was every involved ?
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    Och awar!!!!!!!!!!!

We are as Braveheart as ever thanks all the same!!! This isn't the decision of the Scottish people - believe you me!! This is a single individual in the Scottish Government who's decision it will be, and isn't yet confirmed.

....and that is one Haggis you have nae chance of getting me to eat!!
    Perdi I am a Campbell on my mother's side so I mean no disrespect and I am writing this from Dunfermline Fife. I have been here for two weeks on business flying home tomorrow. I enjoy every trip here. I make it over at least twice a year.
    You could have had a wee bit better weather for me but I have had a few drams of Talisker every night to cut the damp.
    I do hope no compassionate relief is allowed for this guy though. There is no relief for the parents of the victims.
    Regards,
    Mary

Perdi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Perdi I am a Campbell on my mother's side so I mean no disrespect and I am writing this from Dunfermline Fife. I have been here for two weeks on business flying home tomorrow. I enjoy every trip here. I make it over at least twice a year.
    You could have had a wee bit better weather for me but I have had a few drams of Talisker every night to cut the damp.
    I do hope no compassionate relief is allowed for this guy though. There is no relief for the parents of the victims.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Well seeing as how you are in our fair Kingdom, I think I can let you off!! Lol!!! I am fae Dundee and can see Fife from my front room window - it's just over that bloody huge river!!!

Know what you mean about the weather - it's pure pish eh!! We have a freeeeeeezing winter and everyone said that it was fine, coz that meant summer would be grand....I think we got about a week in May and that was our lot!!!!!!

Back to topic.....according to the newspapers there should be a decision tomorrow. I really don't think the decision is now going to be anything to do with whether compassion is being shown to this murderer or not...it's all got too political now for that!

heaven01uk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by heaven01uk View Post
    I hope he one day soon has a slow painful death.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Andrea Guest
    Maybe (but not likely) the Libyan Government will get him when he arrives. After all, they had to pay out billions when this was traced to Libya.

Andrea

Once the bomb went off in the plane, everyone on there was "terminal". I'm sure their families wish they had even a minute of "compassionate time" to spend with their terminal loved ones.

Perdi Guest
    I am sorry to say it but I think this came down to 1 thing - the strength of the UK's relationship with Libya 'v' the strength of the UK's relationship with America.

America and the UK are the closest of allies. Always have been, always will be, in fact it would take something pretty fricking huge for that to be jeopardised!!

The relationship between the UK and pretty much the rest of the world is somewhat fragile at best. This has been a way for the government to further cement some kind of relationship.

If it were really to do with crimes etc then I really don't believe he would have been released.

Fucking disgusting.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Jet lagged as I am I saw the reception he got in Libya while I was in bagge claim at JFK. I was sickened by the celebration when he got off the plane.
    The man is a hero in their eyes. Gosh this irritates me to all get out.
    Regards,
    Mary

djdeath-hag Guest
    Jet lagged as I am I saw the reception he got in Libya while I was in bagge claim at JFK. I was sickened by the celebration when he got off the plane.
    Regards,
    Mary
    I was disgusted & outraged by that warm reception as well. I can only hope that his cancer is painful, he deserves as much pain as he can receive & even then, it would amount to nothing, compared to the pain of the survivors of all who perished.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I was disgusted & outraged by that warm reception as well. I can only hope that his cancer is painful, he deserves as much pain as he can receive & even then, it would amount to nothing, compared to the pain of the survivors of all who perished.

Perfection, DJ!

Severely Snapped Guest
    Did one of the British relatives actually say this? That even if this guy is guilty, he should be freed, and the Americans should "get real"?

I...I just have no words. My expression is set on stunned carp right now, so please bear with me as I splutter, "Dude! WTF is wrong with you?!"

heaven01uk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Severely Snapped View Post
    Did one of the British relatives actually say this? That even if this guy is guilty, he should be freed, and the Americans should "get real"?

I...I just have no words. My expression is set on stunned carp right now, so please bear with me as I splutter, "Dude! WTF is wrong with you?!"
    I would hope they didn't say that but it wouldn't surprise me.
    My opinion is he got life, life means no release. He should of died in jail.

Severely Snapped Guest
    I couldn't agree more, heaven.

heaven01uk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Severely Snapped View Post
    I couldn't agree more, heaven.
    It's a shame the powers that be don't agree. Prison sentences mean shit in the UK.

This shit just burns me to the core.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Regards,
    Mary
    I guess one person's demon is another's hero. I ached for the families of the Lockerbie victims when I saw those deluded, moronic, hateful celebrants in Libya. Disgusting display.

Quote Originally Posted by p00key View Post
    Agree if he is guilty he should rot in hell and not be ever freed . But arn't the authorities getting uncomfortable now as they are not 100% sure that he was every involved ?
    Exactly. There's a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Venom shouldn't be spat in this guys' direction as he's the scapegoat. There's a whole load of people involved in this tragedy and the authorities involved will never show their hands.

Still. A fucking horrible welcome home especially if viewed through the eyes of the victim's families or through the eyes of anyone with any amount of compassion in their body. An horrible business.

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    Exactly. There's a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Venom shouldn't be spat in this guys' direction as he's the scapegoat. There's a whole load of people involved in this tragedy and the authorities involved will never show their hands.

Still. A fucking horrible welcome home especially if viewed through the eyes of the victim's families or through the eyes of anyone with any amount of compassion in their body. An horrible business.
    Bet on it. I also bet there is more to him being released than compassion. I smell something under the table there.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

There was a young man from Arkansas on that flight and I saw an interview with his mom on the news this morning. She said she didn't have a problem with him being let out of prison. I'm thinking, I wish I could be that big of a person if the situation ever warranted it. However, even if every family member of every victim had the same outlook on it, he was sentenced to life and life he should serve. What's the point in sentencing anyone to a life term if no one is going to serve it?

radiojane Guest
    I was listening to CTV news yesterday morning, and they had some Scottish official who was really very eloquent about the 'quality of mercy' that the Scots had. It was a gorgeous way of saying "We're not paying this fuckers medical bills. Let him go croak in a sand dune".

Something to be said about not making the taxpayers pay for his medical bills. Just shoot the fucker. I was really hoping his plane would go down.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Something to be said about not making the taxpayers pay for his medical bills. Just shoot the fucker. I was really hoping his plane would go down.

Ironic, but it probably would've taken another person with him. I'm hoping more for something like 'violent reaction to food from homeland"

Compassionate release because he has a terminal illness??? 271 people are terminally dead!
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    .... It was a gorgeous way of saying "We're not paying this fuckers medical bills. Let him go croak in a sand dune".
    when you put it that way....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Will this give Susan Atkins renewed hope for HER release? I mean, c'mon, she just killed a couple of people compared to al-Megrahi's 270--- even less if you don't count an unborn-though-almost-due infant.
    Of course she wouldn't be getting a small army of (possibly paid and/or threatened) shills in matching shirts and hats to greet and cheer HER homecoming.

Perdi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Will this give Susan Atkins renewed hope for HER release? I mean, c'mon, she just killed a couple of people compared to al-Megrahi's 270--- even less if you don't count an unborn-though-almost-due infant.
    Of course she wouldn't be getting a small army of (possibly paid and/or threatened) shills in matching shirts and hats to greet and cheer HER homecoming.
    I really don't think it will. There is no two ways about it, shitbag got released for political gain. They can use flowery 'ooo how compassionate are we' lines till they are blue in the face, but it's all bollocks!! Tony 'I'm-a-wanker' Blair has been brokering this since he left office. It's all politicial bullshit that that they think we are too stupid to notice.

No one can politically gain from Atkins release, so it shouldn't have a bearing.

And I am sorry, but us Scots are about as well known for our compassion as we are for being generous with our money and our sobriety!!! Someones lost a leg, they get told to suck it up and get hopping!!!

DexterKitty Guest
    I can't believe they let that maniac out. I completely dissagree with compassionate release for any murderer. Especially mass murderers like this idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by heaven01uk View Post
    It's a shame the powers that be don't agree. Prison sentences mean shit in the UK.

Absolutely agree ,though this was a Scottish decision not a UK one ....
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

Give it a little more time and I'm sure Prime Minister Gordon Brown
    and his Government will somehow be involved in this person being
    freed.

heaven01uk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by p00key View Post
    Absolutely agree ,though this was a Scottish decision not a UK one ....
    Yep it was, didn't who ever it was who was standing in for Gordon Brown while he was on holiday (or whatever he was doing) say it was purely up to the scottish government?.
    Still shouldn't of released him though, should of just chucked him a hole somewhere and forgot about him untill a bad smell started.

GrinReaper Guest
    I dunno why but for whatever reason this attack just never bothered me at all.
    Probably because it happened somewhere else.
    Why was it such a big deal?
    Was it because there were Americans on board?
    If there weren't would it still have such an impact?

slw Guest
    I have never understood murderers being released under compassionate grounds. They showed no compassion to their victims so they should not be shown any either. I also don't understand the concept of parole. A trial is held, you get given prison time to do, you do the whole fucking lot not be let off some of it 'for good behaviour'. utterly ridiculous!!!

Anyone else hear something this morning about accusations by the UN or something that he was released because Libya has promised some gas concessions to Scotland?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

deathhagcutie Guest
    year i heard about that, if that's true ..i hope the the government catches hell!!

sheri Guest
    IMHO, this asshat should have NEVER been released!!! Nearly 300 people died because of him, none of them got any compassion whatsoever, so why is this asshat being given compassion? Oh that's right, he's terminal with cancer. Yeah, he's terminal alright. Even cancer is too good for him. And he was essentially given a hero's welcome??? WTF???

MissJames Guest
    I found that pic of the poor woman hanging from the roof still in her chair....

http://www.panamair.org/accidents/lockerbiedebris.htm

won't put the pic up..but will give the link for those who want to see...

39. 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM

Perdi Guest
    I think it is a little obtuse to suggest that this only affects people because there were Americans onboard. This effects me because I am a caring and compassionate person who gives a crap that 300 good people got blown out of the sky by some crackpot dissident who allegedly had the full backing of his government.

This act of terrorism killed good people of all Nationalities and happened in my own back yard.

The majority of Scots feel thoroughly betrayed by this decision. We fought so hard to get our own Government, who made decisions for and about Scotland, and they have stabbed us right royally in the back.

Alex Salmond (our First Minister) and Kenny MacAskill (Justice Secretary) have brought shame on us all.

This has nothing to do with the people of Scotland. Do Americans want to be blamed for a certain someone who did certain immoral things for the past eight years? We can elect our government, but unfortunately we have no say over their actions once they step into office.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

deathhagcutie Guest
    i hear for the scot government to be doing this they are showing there moral authority over *ahem* america..
    he should never be let out, but they say by doing so there are better than the man who commited this awful act.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdi View Post
    I think it is a little obtuse to suggest that this only affects people because there were Americans onboard. This effects me because I am a caring and compassionate person who gives a crap that 300 good people got blown out of the sky by some crackpot dissident who allegedly had the full backing of his government.

This act of terrorism killed good people of all Nationalities and happened in my own back yard.

The majority of Scots feel thoroughly betrayed by this decision. We fought so hard to get our own Government, who made decisions for and about Scotland, and they have stabbed us right royally in the back.

Alex Salmond (our First Minister) and Kenny MacAskill (Justice Secretary) have brought shame on us all.
    Thanks for the perspective. I had a feeling that most Scots felt as stunned and outraged, if not moreso, than anyone else when this mass murderer was released. It was indeed a black day for all of us humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Thanks for the perspective. I had a feeling that most Scots felt as stunned and outraged, if not moreso, than anyone else when this mass murderer was released. It was indeed a black day for all of us humans.
    Yes a very good point, as a person who was born in Scotland I'm too
    stunned and outrage, and I think as most Scots are.

ChargerBill Guest
    Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi served only 10.8 days in jail for each murder he caused

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi served only 10.8 days in jail for each murder he caused

I mean no offense to ChargerBill or anyone, but I've got to make a mini rant here. It's statement's like that one, or even just thinking like that, that causes major uproars over something that really can't be helped. Yes, emotionally, it gets everyone's gall up that the quantity of time served seems so low in relation to the deaths he caused. "Lock him up forever!" They cry, and in a perfect world, that's what we'd do. Let's be reasonable though:

From a strictly practical point of view: The guy is dying. Dying, as some of us know, is an extremely expensive venture. If Al-Megrahi was to die in prison, it would cost the Scots tens of thousands of dollars, because they HAVE to treat him in addition to housing and feeding him. It's expensive. This guy, at least in my opinion, probably isn't going to reoffend. He lost his last healthy years. Prostate cancer is extremely painful. It's time to be pragmatic.

In my opinion, as wonderful as 'life in prison' sounds, sometimes it isn't feasible or necessary, because really, although no punishment will ever be good enough for some crimes, public outrage and sentiment shouldn't necessarily outweigh sound fiscal pragmatism in some cases.

ChargerBill Guest
    I mean no offense to ChargerBill or anyone, but I've got to make a mini rant here. It's statement's like that one, or even just thinking like that, that causes major uproars over something that really can't be helped. Yes, emotionally, it gets everyone's gall up that the quantity of time served seems so low in relation to the deaths he caused. "Lock him up forever!" They cry, and in a perfect world, that's what we'd do. Let's be reasonable though:

From a strictly practical point of view: The guy is dying. Dying, as some of us know, is an extremely expensive venture. If Al-Megrahi was to die in prison, it would cost the Scots tens of thousands of dollars, because they HAVE to treat him in addition to housing and feeding him. It's expensive. This guy, at least in my opinion, probably isn't going to reoffend. He lost his last healthy years. Prostate cancer is extremely painful. It's time to be pragmatic.

In my opinion, as wonderful as 'life in prison' sounds, sometimes it isn't feasible or necessary, because really, although no punishment will ever be good enough for some crimes, public outrage and sentiment shouldn't necessarily outweigh sound fiscal pragmatism in some cases.
    One bullet, two bucks

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    One bullet, two bucks
    No food or water, zero bucks.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I was suggesting that they should have starved him to death not set him free.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    No food or water, zero bucks.

Yeah if we could keep it simple and just shoot them, we'd be ahead of the game. Unfortunately the same element of humans that scream about just punishment sometimes scream about prisoner's rights and compassion as well.

ChargerBill Guest
    Yeah if we could keep it simple and just shoot them, we'd be ahead of the game. Unfortunately the same element of humans that scream about just punishment sometimes scream about prisoner's rights and compassion as well.
    270 killed? You'd barely hear a whisper.