Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shannon Hoon

Shannon Hoon

Any Blind Melon fans in the house? That was a shock, too.

jcheeka Guest
    I wonder what kind of music they could have come up with it he was still alive

Layla331 Guest
    loved blind melon..there was just a show on that had the "bee girl" now...kinda funny

What is "Bee Girl" doing now?

b57hrle Guest
    Shannon was really cool!! I just listened to them yesterday! No telling how far they would have gone if things had been different...

Marielle Guest
    I love Blind Melon and Shannon! Hoon overdosed right outside of Tipitina's here in New Orleans. He was supposed to do a show that night. Yipes.

leppchic Guest
    Yep that was tragic too, like someone else quoted Scott. Don't do drugs, kids.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Here's the "Bee Girl's" listing at IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0217641/

Apparently he was Axel Rose's cousin - and he was the one who found him!

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I was fortunate to get to see Shannon once. What a great showman he was, running around the stage!! They opened for STP and Neil Young W/Booker T and the MGs at the LA Sports Arena. So sad. He made a comment onstage I'll never forget....

"Remember, any day above ground is a good day". Oh, and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was his favorite movie.

motherogod Guest
    My favorite memory of Shannon is the Blind Melon Rolling Stone cover. Good times. Wasn't he 27 when he died? I seem to recall some conversations about age 27 and Janis, Jimi, Jim too back when this happened.

12. 10-08-2007, 11:04 PM

dirk diggler Guest

Shannon hoon

I' think i had that Rolling Stone edition there was an excellent story on him how he was a pretty handy footballer etc and eventually i think loved ones hiring people to keep an eye on his activities ala John Belushi. Been listening to 'soup' recently as well 'Ill make a shoehorn outta shin"..

Shes Not There Guest
    I love Blind Melon and was very blessed to see them twice. Unfortunately, I did not see the last show he did in Houston~and the next day he was gone :-(
    Last edited by Shes Not There; 10-15-2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: duh...

Casanndra Guest
    Shannon was originally from a city that's like 30 minutes from me. Well, I guess Axel is from there too.

Begothed Guest
    Shannon Hoon stands before the crowd that has gathered in the Egyptian Room at the Murat Temple in Indianapolis, IN. The Blind Melon frontman holds his 6-week-old daughter, Nico Blue, in his arms. "Tonight's my daughter's first rock 'n' roll event," Hoon announces to his fans.
    Less than a month later, on October 11, 1995, Hoon is found dead on his band's tour bus before a show in New Orleans. A long struggle with drug addiction has culminated in an accidental overdose. His daughter, just over 3 months old, will be left to know her father solely through his music.

FOUND THIS ONLINE.

Laura1020 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    No way! Very interesting.

mommafreak Guest
    I was captivated by this band. Such a loss.

He peed on the audience at his concert here in Vancouver. I believe he got charged with something for that.

reddawn17 Guest
    I was surfing the net and saw some pictures of Nico Blue within the past 4-5 years, and she is beautiful. She's a spittin image of her father...

magblax Guest
    LOVE BLIND MELON!!!!

Favorite Shannon Hoon Quote: "I have a phobia of anything that doesn't die in the microwave after five seconds."

cachluv Guest
    Indeed, a rare talent.

For the video of "No Rain" he had dropped acid without telling anyone beforehand. It's pretty clear in the video he is tripping on something.

One less beautiful boy in the world....I was very familiar with and into the band at that current time and even pre-death I don't think I could have pictured him growing old at all.

RoRo Guest
    I loved Blind Melon ...I didn't know they were cousins...too bad it wasn't the other cousin that dropped

Xtine Guest
    My BF loves Guns N Roses and says Shannon is in the Don't Cry Video

cachluv Guest
    I've just noticed some of the above comments. Don't hate me but Rose and Hoon were BF's and nothing more. Hoon was discovered by a crew member who had come to get him for a soundcheck. Sorry

SarahThirteen Guest
    I love BM and Shannon was indeed a beautiful man! It truly was a tragic loss.

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    Here is a link to a pic of Shannon's daughter Nico http://www.flickr.com/photos/mariogeronimo/1663178189/

**Jenna** Guest
    She looks like her dad.

Auntie Venom Guest
    I remember "No Rain" was the song of the summer that I went to college....you couldn't sit in a bar a half hour and it not come on....I was seriously pissed when Shannon died. What a waste of a great talent, and how sad for Nico Blue.

Forever-27 Guest
    His dying didnt surprize me. I think it was james Hetfield of Metallica who said he acted strangly at the Woodstock show he played at. After the two spoke backstage Hetfield could see the signs of a drug addict and mentioned to someone that he didnt have long to live if he kept that shit up. James was right, a little later Hoon was dead.

Its a sorry shame his kid has to grow up without her father.

Not that I ever liked Blind Melon because I didnt. They were part of the whole college rock crap along the lines of REM , but its never a good thing to see someones life ruined by drugs.

I vaguely remember his death happened round the same time as David Gahan from depeche mode had overdosed but had survived. I didnt mind the group but i really cant say i was surprised by his death. Just hope his girl grows up learning from her fathers mistake.

My best friend invited me to go with him to see Blind Melon at Numbers the night before Shannon died. I was all "meh" and didn't go.
    Last edited by APYGirl; 03-13-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: forgot a word or two

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    Maybe a little OT but has anyone heard the new Blind Melon minus Shannon? They are playing an area near hear and I just want to know if they are as good or if they aren't worth my time and money anymore w/o Hoon.

hollywoodsaint Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marielle View Post
    I love Blind Melon and Shannon! Hoon overdosed right outside of Tipitina's here in New Orleans. He was supposed to do a show that night. Yipes.
    Yeah, I was living and working in NOLA at the time, and I remember hearing about Hoon's passing. There was a big write up about it in the Times-Picayune a few days later, some of the things I remember reading: Like Marielle mentioned, the band was scheduled to play that night at Tipitina's. Their tour bus was parked in a lot on St. Charles Ave. in the CBD; somehow I seem to remember that the address was 315 St. Charles- one of those weird things that sticks in my head 13 years later, though I could be wrong. Anyway, Hoon had some time to kill before the show that night and walked up to a yogurt/smoothie shop on the corner of St. Charles and Canal St., where he proceeded to sit in a booth and talk to a psychic hotline for 45 minutes (according to an employee of the shop), then walked back to his tour bus, where he apparently took drugs of some sort. They found his body a few hours later on the bus. I also remember a friend who went to the show that night, only to have someone come out on stage to announce Hoon's death. I believe that whoever the opening band was continued to play as a tribute to Hoon.

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by APYGirl View Post
    My best friend invited me to go with him to see Blind Melon at Numbers the night before Shannon died. I was all "meh" and didn't go.
    I didn't know bands played at Numbers. I went there to dance once, must've been before my time lol. Would've been so cool to see them perform

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I loved Blind Melon ...I didn't know they were cousins...too bad it wasn't the other cousin that dropped

My sentiments too, RoRo!

spoiledkitty Guest
    Axel was a friend of his sisters
    I loved the bee girl that whole video was awesome i still remember the song...
    In L.A., Hoon befriended his sister Anna's high school friend, Axl Rose. It's here in wikipedia, I loved Blind Melon they were an awesome band they have since come out with a nw album and are currently on tour (check out thier myspace!) Oh yeah the link to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Hoon

and the link to their myspace.
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=95911507

Have fun!

Grungegirl83 Guest
    Shannon and Layne

Quote Originally Posted by Grungegirl83 View Post
    Shannon and Layne
    two most amazing vocalist! What talent they had and too bad for us they left here too early. I wish they could have found another way to handle it all but I compleatly understand about escape and self medication.

silverwaif77 Guest
    Shannon Hoon and Axl Rose are not cousins. Axl, Shannon and Izzy stradlin were all from Lafayette Indiana and were probably the three weirdest people in town so they hung out together. They were old friends, after GNR got big, they encouraged shannon and his band to come out to LA. I think Axl persuaded geffen to sign them (same record label as GNR). Shannon sings accompanying vocals on dont cry as well as appearing in the video, he sang backup vocals on a few GNR songs on the use your illusion 1 & 2 albums.

stacebabe Guest
    I was totally blown away when I heard. Such talent. ((Let's not forget he was totally hot too! lol))

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post

lisalouver Guest
    What happend to the bee girl from the video? Was she related at all to any of the band members?

stacebabe Guest
    God do I love the internet!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_DeLoach

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    What happend to the bee girl from the video? Was she related at all to any of the band members?

A-train Guest
    Love Blind Melon. And O. M. G......he was freakin a hot. I looove long haired rocker types.

Love this vid/song. Plus he looks nice in all he gold paint. Rawr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFqvIUcfBcw

Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Love Blind Melon. And O. M. G......he was freakin a hot. I looove long haired rocker types.

That's one of their best songs! I remember it vividly when he died. What a surprise!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    I was totally blown away when I heard. Such talent. ((Let's not forget he was totally hot too! lol))
    He reminds me of that Andre rocker dude from the first mtv The Real World. He was hot.

Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post

I love that song! He had such a pretty voice!

**Jenna** Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10874953_tml.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	7092

Name:	shannon02.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	7093

Name:	shahemp.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	7094

Name:	ShannonHoon4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	7095 Heres some cute pics of Shannon!

**Jenna** Guest
    There needs to be a findadeath story on him too!

msmojorisin84 Guest
    You know..I always based Blind Melon on the wretched "No Rain" song...then I started listening to other stuff..and really like them. I believe Shannon had alot of talent, and it's a shame he's no longer with us...who knows what kind of other great tunes we could have had.

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by msmojorisin84 View Post
    You know..I always based Blind Melon on the wretched "No Rain" song...then I started listening to other stuff..and really like them. I believe Shannon had alot of talent, and it's a shame he's no longer with us...who knows what kind of other great tunes we could have had.
    I do like that No Rain. My son and husband hate it thought. I just play it extra loud

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LSF View Post
    I do like that No Rain. My son and husband hate it thought. I just play it extra loud
    Oh, it's a cute song..just way overplayed.