Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Hag Books

Daphne Guest
    I took a class on death and dying in high school, and our textbook was titled the same thing by elizabeth something, it was very moving and helped me understand death very well. The author was a nurse that worked with terminally ill patients and their families.

Snoopy Guest
    The five people you meet in Heaven was a good one..also One Last Time by John Edwards..there's another one my sister let me borrow..the name I can't think of but was written by a medical examiner..and it was all stories of patients who were dyining that she met while she was a Med Student. Very good.. Damn wish I could think of the name!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    "Coroner" by Thomas Noguchi.

Jaxxx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    I took a class on death and dying in high school, and our textbook was titled the same thing by elizabeth something, it was very moving and helped me understand death very well. The author was a nurse that worked with terminally ill patients and their families.
    The name is Death and Dying, Elizabeth Kubler Ross, and it has stages one goes through in the process of understanding grief.

knothere Guest
    this place helps me understand death (ya iknow its not a book lol)
    getting older n ppl droping off like flys does too
    the more i understand death the less i am afraid of it and the things that do go bump in the night

bblvnvelphy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    this place helps me understand death (ya iknow its not a book lol)
    getting older n ppl droping off like flys does too
    the more i understand death the less i am afraid of it and the things that do go bump in the night

i know how you feel =)

GraveyardGirl Guest

Car Crash Culture

Has anyone here read Car Crash Culture? A friend of mine turned me on to it and I was curious what any of you here thought about it if you had read it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=awR...i=print&pgis=1

RaRaRamona Guest
    I don't guess I understand the point of the book. Conspiracies aside, I suppose it could be an interesting read. It didn't get very good reviews on Amazon. It does have some gnarly pics though.

Kugmu Guest
    A good/interesting move about car crash culture is "Crash."
    Not the one starring Sandra Bullock/Don Cheadle that won best
    picture in '06.
    "Crash" directed by David Chronenburg from '96 starring James Spader
    and Holly Hunter.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115964/

Look for the unrated version

Mamma Guest

Inspired reading from FAD Forum ...

Last week, after spending what must have been hours combined at the Betty Broderick thread, I was inspired to order the book "Until the Twelfth of Never". I'm still waiting for it, and should have ordered express delivery, but I digress. I am always interested in actual books, biographies and the like, of true crime stories. Especially those that were made into movies. You will soon discover that there are whole other dimensions to these true life cases. And more often than not, Hollywood taking far too many artistic liberties with the subject(s).

Anyone else been inspired to read a book after learning so much from the FAD forum? I have visited a TON of websites posted here also, as well as ordering season 1 of the AnnaAnnaFabulousAnnaAnna Nicole show. I was inspired to order the dvd after recapping so much of hers and Daniel's life that were featured on the show, and discovering even more through this forum. I watched the dvd once, mostly skimming through it. That's a tough pill to swallow, pardon the pun, watching that cutie Daniel before his voice barely changed. *Sigh*.

So anyway, truth more stranger than fiction? Your damn right it is .

Talk to me.

~Mamma

Katie Guest
    Thanks to you I ordered what I consider the real books about "Dead Man Walking" I like many of others thought that what I had read when this movie came out, to be the truth. Now I find out, it was not, but a crusade to get rid of the death penalty, by using a horrible murderer, as bait. This Murderer, Robert Lee Willie was made out to be some type of poor individual who could not help it. For those of you who did not read the book, Willie was played by Sean Penn in the movie, and Susan Sarandon played the nun.

What "Dead Man Walking " failed to do was to get the side of the victims of these horrible crimes. There were 5 deaths, and two attempts, and rape and abuse from another.

If you get a chance to order these books to find out more, these are the one's I have. "Victims of Dead Man Walking" and "For Giving The Dead Man Walking"

I wish Scott would write a book! I would read that!

Katie Guest
    That would be some book huh!! I would hope he would include more personal things in it, other than the site. I have always been interested in his life. What he likes to do for fun? Is he in a relationship now?

Doug81506 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    That would be some book huh!! I would hope he would include more personal things in it, other than the site. I have always been interested in his life. What he likes to do for fun? Is he in a relationship now?
    As a guy who was eaten up and spit out by Los Angeles, I can respect Scott for finding his niche and a degree of success and fame in that town. It's not an easy thing to fo.

MbalmR Guest
    Aries65, from what I gather, has an enormous collection of these fabulous books. I'll bet she could tell us which ones she most enjoyed.

The most recent thing I read was Whoever Fights Monsters, by Robert K. Ressler and Tom Shachtman. Pretty interesting read.

I'm thinking about ordering or downloading a copy of the Kurt Cobain case study manual, by Tom Grant. His story really disturbs me, and I'd like to know more. Any good KC books out there that anyone would recommend?

I thought I'd bump up this thread again. Altho I had a heck of a time finding it!

Latest death hag related books I've read:

1. Rock And Roll Heaven by Robert Dimery. This one is REALLY good, and ends with James Brown. A few casket pics - James Brown, Marvin Gaye and Ray Charles. And also has the guys recovering John Denvers remains - they have a picture of the body body being carried on a surfboard out of the water - altho it's obvious there isn't much of a body in there! Lots of singers in this one - highly recommended for the Death Hag! (There is a skeleton with a top hat and cane on the cover of the book).

2. Laid Bare by John Gilmore. I got this one based on recommendation from someone here. And it's actually really good. This guys talks about his experiences with various famous people in it. He spent some time with Janis Joplin (even had sex with her), Hank Williams, James Dean (who he had messed around with also! ) and a few others. Pretty interesting stuff in this one!

3. Uncle John's Bathroom Reader - Plunges into Hollywood. No, I didn't read this one on the john, but I collect all these Uncle John books since they have some really good trivia about celebs in them, and this one which focuses on Hollywood and it's stars is pretty good! Lots of good stuff!

3. Gone Too Soon by People Magazine. This one was available on the newsstands a few weeks ago - I hope you were able to get a copy! No death photos, but some really nice photos and stories of various stars.

4. Most Notorious Crimes in American History by Time Magazine - another newsstand "book" that was put out the same time as the People one. Great stuff in this one also - crimes from the past up thru Scott Peterson.

Next up on the nightstand:

1. Reckless by Carlton Smith. The story of the murder of Lana Clarkson by Phil Spector. This book was put out before the trial started. But I thought I'd give it a read anyway.

2. Secrets Can Be Murder by Jane Velez-Mitchell. Her take on why various killers have done their deeds. I heard it's pretty good. Scott Peterson and all the rest are this one!

Okay, anyone else want to share what death-hag related books they've been reading lately?

I know some people out there want to "catch up" their libraries!

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    The last days of dead celebrities.
    Mitchell Fink.
    HIGHLY recommended - great stuff!

knothere Guest
    i dont read books i read internet - easier for me
    ill get more from a picture than lotsa letters/words/sentences... ugh
    i do have the sinatra book by mrs kelly
    every now n then if the hydro goes out ill pik it up for about 20 mins n no i havent got to the juicy parts yet mom finished it in a month n was firmly disscusted at frank lol n a couple more of em she found out stuff that she didnt like lol
    i did warn her first but ya know lol

ApricotRoses Guest
    I'm reading Killing Season: The Unsolved Case of New England's Deadliest Serial Killer... it's by Carlton Smith.

Also reading Death In A Texas Desert by Carlton Stowers.

ApricotRoses Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Anne Rule has a daughter named Leslie-she has written at least one book about ghosts. Turns out Anne and Leslie have lived in haunted houses.
    Yes... I have Leslie's book... haven't read it yet... I've read everything Ann Rule has ever written!! Love her true crime books. My other favorite true crime authors are Gregg Olsen, M William Phelps, Carlton Stowers, Aphrodite Jones, and John Glatt.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I just finished "The Devil in the White City," by Erik Larson. One of the best books (death-hag related) I've ever read, I couldn't put it down.

It tells the (true-life) story of the creation of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair (nicknamed the "White City"), which is extremely interesting stuff in itself...however he then weaves into THAT the story of H.H. Holmes, prolific serial killer who used the world's fair as a stalking ground for his victims.

Accounts have him murdering between 27 and 200 young women. The scenes in the book depicting Holmes' labyrinthine house of horrors (secret passages, body disposal hardware, et al) are so very chilling. Highly recommended.

I'm now starting Larson's next book, "Thunderstruck," which similarly juxtaposes two stories: Marconi's invention of the wireless telegraph with that of a mild-mannered wife-murderer. Can't wait!

knothere Guest

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Death of the Unicorn The Dorothy Stratten story by Peter Bogdonovich

ApricotRoses Guest
    I saw that, and I went right over to Amazon and bought it!! HAD TO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    Death of the Unicorn The Dorothy Stratten story by Peter Bogdonovich
    That's a good one. Peter just goes off on everyone - including Hugh Hefner!

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's....brother of Augusten Burroughs who wrote
    Running with a Dildo

knothere Guest
    well merg the threads then

Noelle Page Guest
    I;ve been on a Phil spector kick thanks to FAD. just read "Tearing down the Wall of Sound" and (thanks to Aries) Ronnie Spector's "Be My Baby."

NOVSTORM Guest
    While waiting for a plane in Vegas a woman had just finsihed reading "If I did it" by OJ. I swore I would never buy the book but she was going to trash it and I asked for it. It wasn't a bad read except the beging with Goldman going on and on and on. I personally do not like that man. Anyway I think OJ really told what happend that night and that he was not alone. He makes it out like he went into a dream world . I think he went into a cold blooded rage and cannot remember evrythingthat happened because he lost all control. I can relate to that because I did that once and don't remember half of what I said or did. )I have never had this happen again but it had to do with finding a child abused like you never saw before when I was a police office) shit like that can happen. To be honest I don't think he went over there to kill her, he was going to do his scare thing and his annoying thing again and lost it when he saw Ron come thru the gate. It doesn't excuse what happened. This other person that was with him told him some crap about Nick and he went over there to scream and yell and spy. His jealousy flipped him out (he says he was over her) and that is bs. I would liked to have read it without Goldmans changes.
    while I feel so sorry for the Goldmans loss and the Browns, I have very mixed feelings about trying someone twice for the same crime and puting a price tag on your childs life. Anyway enough of that crap. If you ever see it and can get it for free read it. Itanswers a lot of questions about what happened that night even if a lot of it is self serving . OJ is Oj. And Goldman is Goldman. They both have a tendency to be self serving.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    I just finished - Tearing down the wall of sound - The rise and fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown. Very interesting stuff - he so killed her!

Just started The Hollywood Book of Death by Robert Parrish
    I met Spector in the early 70's. As I said in another post that my best friend was a headliner at the Stardust in Las Vegas. She and her husband were working with PS on a few songs. He was quiet and wasn't all that terrible looking at the time. He certainly wasn't as insane as he is now. They said he was very demanding and brilliant. I guess with his iq he is a genius and that means he can also be insane.
    I have a few questions about that night but people would think I was sticking up for him which I am not. But he is going to walk I think because of all the residue on poor Lanas hands and a few other things. He is not going to death row. By the way did they ever prove that in fact that it was his gun? I don"t think so. I may have missed that part of the trial as I was being forced to work for a lving lol

Either way even if found not guilty he will be tried again by another jury for Lanas family to get money. If I were him I would just sit down and write a check to her family because in the long run it would be cheaper.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    That was a good one. Do you believe any of it - the one-night stand with him and Larry?
    i DON'T BELEIVE THAT FOR A MINUTE lol Poor Ana this slime ball making money off of her poor screwed up life. Trashing this little babys dad for a buck.

disco Guest
    I am watching the natives of Venuato. A wonderful and peaceful peoples. Death wise, I am watching Grizzly Man. I really admired Tim Treadwell and it makes me very sad about the outcome. I felt that Tim really made the Grizzlies interesting to us. What a wonderful person he will always be in life.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Dr. Harold Shipman: A prescription for murder.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    The Innocent Man by John Grisham. Pretty incredible true story with Grisham's great sarcastic sardonic style.

For fiction, I've been on a Harlen Coben kick lately.

Rush, by Kim Wozencraft. Billed as fiction, but it's really not. Not as good as the movie, for once.

The Women Who Wrote The War, can't remember the author. Really great stories about female journalists during WWII.

A Murder In Belmont, Sebastian Junger, about the Boston Strangler.

I read a lot, can you tell?

ApricotRoses Guest
    I think one of THE best true crime books I've read lately is: Misbegotton Son..... what a sociapath/predator this guy was, and flew under the radar for many many years. Real sicko. Saw a piece on A&E about him, very scary, thank god he's put away forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Rush, by Kim Wozencraft. Billed as fiction, but it's really not. Not as good as the movie, for once.
    I LOVE that movie, "Rush" and also read the book. I thought the ending was interesting and don't understand why they couldn't have made it the same for the movie also. It's an interesting ending - altho I won't say what it is, in case you aren't done reading it yet!

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    I just finished - Tearing down the wall of sound - The rise and fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown. Very interesting stuff - he so killed her!
    Yes, I just finished that one, too. I swear for a second I thought this post was mine.
    Seemed pretty well researched. Ronnie didn't come off too well though.

Clevelanddeathfan Guest

The Death Hag book I am reading

Where Are They Buried? How Did They Die? by Tod Benoit. It tells where celebrities are buried, and how they died. It is a good read.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevelanddeathfan View Post
    Where Are They Buried? How Did They Die? by Tod Benoit. It tells where celebrities are buried, and how they died. It is a good read.
    I'd say that's a good title, then.

Another good one! I have that one in my collection also.

All my books are boxed up in storage for now. But once I get moved into a new place - I'll list up up Death Hag collection somewhere on FAD. I have a shit-load of them!

leevancleef Guest
    This is good indeed.
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Yes, I just finished that one, too. I swear for a second I thought this post was mine.
    Seemed pretty well researched. Ronnie didn't come off too well though.
    I agree, the research seemed to be very well done. It was a great read, Phil Spector scares the shite out of me - what a loose cannon and people let him get away with all of that crazy shite!

Forever-27 Guest
    I hate reading books. Bores me to tears. Ive been working on the book " No One Here Gets Out Alive " , about The Doors

Clevelanddeathfan Guest

Elizabeth Kubler Ross

I too took a Death and Dying class. Elizabeth Kubler Ross' On Death and Dying was a very good book. Taking the Death and Dying class also helped me to understand death. It also helped me to see that there are people like me who like to talk about death. We also read The Final Exit by Derek Humphry. That is a good read as well.

lostsoul23 Guest
    I can't remember the author's name, but it was "One Minute After You Die."

Jazbabee Guest
    I would say no, simply because no one has been able to die, and return to give us the definitive answer. I don't consider near death experiences to be the same thing

Reading a book about Bobby Fischer the chess champion.
    (not a very nice guy)

48. 01-31-2008, 11:53 AM

This forum.

firegilnotguns Guest
    I recently read Death's Acre by Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson...(the story behind "The Body Farm") - really enjoyed it!

halogirl5 Guest

favourite death-hag related novels

What are your favourite, specifically morbid pieces of fiction? I adore Evelyn Waugh's The Loved One, inspired by Forest Lawn and basically taking the piss out of the American funeral industry.

Also can't go wrong with any of Anne Rice's vampire series.
    Poe. And Joanne Harris's Sleep, Pale sister.