Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over The Edge: Death at Grand Canyon

jennidianne Guest

Over The Edge: Death at Grand Canyon

No self-respecting Death Hag should be without this book in their collection. I've owned several updated editions over the years and this is definately top shelf information:

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Edge-Deat...875627-3175141

keef Guest
    Wow, that looks like a real interesting read. When I visited the canyon a few years back I couldn't help wondering about how many people had died there, accidentally & purposely

Thanks for the heads up - I'll order that.

In the same vein this movie is grotesquely fascinating (The Bridge):

http://www.uk.imdb.com/title/tt0799954/

K.

jennidianne Guest

The things you learn..

The things you learn in this book: "On November 28, 1992, Greg Austin Gingrich, age 38, jumped on top of the rock wall protecting vistors from the ledge at the Rim Trail near the El Tovar. He then faced his daughter and faked like he was falling off. He lept backward off the rock wall, apparently aiming for the ledge just behind the rock wall. He instead landed on the sloping edge, slipped off that, and fell 400 feet."

keef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jennidianne View Post
    The things you learn in this book: "... He instead landed on the sloping edge, slipped off that, and fell 400 feet."
    I'm sorry but ... HAHAHAHAHA!! That's priceless

K.

jennidianne Guest
    Another one: After drinking at the Bright Angel Bar during the late evening of May 11, 1997, , Lana Virginia Smith, age 28, walked outside with a friend and sat on a retaining wall. Her friend walked away to phone for help. Smith solo walked atop the guard wall, slipped off, and fell 25 feet. From there, she yelled for help to people on the rim. As rescuers positioned themselves, Smith became impatient, moved, but slid 30 feet farther down. She grabbed a tree branch above the precipice. As rescuers fixed a rope for a rescue, Smith could no longer retain her hold, slid futher down and then off the cliff face. She was found the next day after falling 234 feet to her death.

jennidianne Guest
    Ever wonder if the Canyon has been used for suicide? Of course! As in this example: On February 2, 1974, Stephen S. Steiner, 24, and Peggy J. Horner, 31, drove to Yaki Point at the Canyon on their prized motorcycle, rented a Hertz car, then in an apparent suicide pact, drove it off the rim at high speed, plunging 1,500 feet below.

keef Guest
    ... rented a Hertz car, then in an apparent suicide pact, drove it off the rim at high speed ...
    Does my brain work in an unusual way, Jenni? When I read that I can't help thinking, "Why didn't they just ride off the edge on their bike?!".

Someone had to pay for that car!

K.

jennidianne Guest
    June 11, 2005

Victim: Ben Bernal
    Location: South Rim Trail, near outdoor worship site. Grand Canyon.

Bernal, from California, and a woman companion took refuge under a tree from a lightning storm (Mistake #1). Lightning struck the tree and grounded through both people. Bernal suffered cardiac arrest. A good samaritian physician pronounced Bernal dead and discouraged CPR (Mistake #2).

Bernal was resuscitated by rangers several minutes later however, but died in the hospital. Oops.

ST Moron Guest
    Ever wonder if the Canyon has been used for suicide? Of course! As in this example: On February 2, 1974, Stephen S. Steiner, 24, and Peggy J. Horner, 31, drove to Yaki Point at the Canyon on their prized motorcycle, rented a Hertz car, then in an apparent suicide pact, drove it off the rim at high speed, plunging 1,500 feet below.
    Of course, it could also just as likely have been a Driving Lesson gone horrible awry:

A)"Which one is the brake again?"

B) "It's the one......no! Not that one!" (Car sails off into space)
    Last edited by ST Moron; 10-08-2007 at 05:36 AM.

keef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post
    Of course, it could also just as likely have been a Driving Lesson gone horrible awry
    HAHA! I prefer your version of events, amigo

K.

candleinthewind Guest
    Don't forget Thelma and Louise!

This is such a trip! I used to think about the same thing and picked up the book when I was there, too! Do they have a book about how many peple fell of the Empire State Building? I'd love to read that!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post

K.
    Yeah, "The Bridge" is a GREAT movie! I saw it at the movie theater when it came out and then ordered the DVD when it came out.

Anyone who is fascinated with people who have committed suicide by jumping off of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco - they show actual jumps, interview friends/family of the victims, and even interview one guy who survived! It's a pretty surreal movie.

I used to live in San Francisco and had walked across the bridge a few times - it's a majestic bridge. For the longest time, I had wanted to have my ashes scattered by the bridge, but after seeing this movie and the fact it's a suicide "magnet", I've decided to have my ashes scattered in another spot!

I HIGHLY recommend this movie for the Death Hag!

firegilnotguns Guest
    Does my brain work in an unusual way, Jenni? When I read that I can't help thinking, "Why didn't they just ride off the edge on their bike?!".

K.
    You know, I thought that EXACT same thing ("why didn't they just use the bike?") And then, of course, that they wouldn't get the security deposit back on that car rental...

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Yeah, "The Bridge" is a GREAT movie! I saw it at the movie theater when it came out and then ordered the DVD when it came out.

Anyone who is fascinated with people who have committed suicide by jumping off of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco - they show actual jumps, interview friends/family of the victims, and even interview one guy who survived! It's a pretty surreal movie.

I used to live in San Francisco and had walked across the bridge a few times - it's a majestic bridge. For the longest time, I had wanted to have my ashes scattered by the bridge, but after seeing this movie and the fact it's a suicide "magnet", I've decided to have my ashes scattered in another spot!

I HIGHLY recommend this movie for the Death Hag!
    Mr. K and I saw that late one night. We flipped on the channel, and it was on I think either Sundance or IFC, and we were instantly riveted.

It's a deeply disturbing, yet beautiful movie. And I still don't think I can own it on DVD.

keef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    You know, I thought that EXACT same thing ("why didn't they just use the bike?") And then, of course, that they wouldn't get the security deposit back on that car rental...
    Heh! That crossed my mind too. Glad I'm not alone

K.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    For reasons I don't entirely understand, whenever I hear the words "truck" or "car" and "security deposit" I always think of that dipstick (there is no charitable way to describe the truly stupid, sorry) Mohammed Salameh.

This is the guy who (partially) blew up the World Trade Center in 1993 with an explosives-filled "Ryder" rental truck.

And who, immediately afterward (and for reasons best understood by modern psychiatry) called the rental company to try to get his security deposit back. This despite the fact that the truck was now in easy-to-carry, pocket-sized chunks (not to worry, though: he cunningly reported it as "stolen").

And what was worse, he kept calling them. Like it was just a matter of "wearing them down" or something.

Can you imagine how those conversations must have gone? What I wouldn't give for a tape of them.

Jesus: he made the Three Stooges look like Nobel Laureates.
    Last edited by ST Moron; 10-08-2007 at 05:10 PM.

attackatdawn Guest
    Another interesting book about deaths in the wilderness is Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in Our First National Park. In 2000 my family and I went to Yellowstone & my daughter bought this book. There are many sad and tragic stories in it. Example a man dived into a hot spring that measured 202 degrees F to save a dog you can imagine the outcome.
    http://www.amazon.com/Death-Yellowst.../dp/1570980217

Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    Example a man dived into a hot spring that measured 202 degrees F to save a dog you can imagine the outcome.
    Stew?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

keef Guest
    a man dived into a hot spring that measured 202 degrees F to save a dog you can imagine the outcome.
    I guess he was dying for a hot dog.

HAHAHAHAHA! Puns are back in fashion!

K.
    Last edited by keef; 10-09-2007 at 01:35 PM.

firegilnotguns Guest

HAHAHAHAHA! Pun's are back in fashion!

K.
    Ba dum cha!

ST Moron Guest
    Ow. Your pun made me smile...then wince.

attackatdawn Guest
    Stew?

LMAO! Yum yum NOT!

Bake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post
    For reasons I don't entirely understand, whenever I hear the words "truck" or "car" and "security deposit" I always think of that dipstick (there is no charitable way to describe the truly stupid, sorry) Mohammed Salameh.

This is the guy who (partially) blew up the World Trade Center in 1993 with an explosives-filled "Ryder" rental truck.

And who, immediately afterward (and for reasons best understood by modern psychiatry) called the rental company to try to get his security deposit back. This despite the fact that the truck was now in easy-to-carry, pocket-sized chunks (not to worry, though: he cunningly reported it as "stolen").

And what was worse, he kept calling them. Like it was just a matter of "wearing them down" or something.

Can you imagine how those conversations must have gone? What I wouldn't give for a tape of them.

Jesus: he made the Three Stooges look like Nobel Laureates.
    OMG...thanks for that Laugh!!!

jennidianne Guest
    Another interesting book about deaths in the wilderness is Death in Yellowstone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in Our First National Park. In 2000 my family and I went to Yellowstone & my daughter bought this book. There are many sad and tragic stories in it. Example a man dived into a hot spring that measured 202 degrees F to save a dog you can imagine the outcome.
    I have that book as well.

JeffD Guest
    Wow, that looks like a real interesting read. When I visited the canyon a few years back I couldn't help wondering about how many people had died there, accidentally & purposely

K.
    I saw this movie on the Sundance Channel. Brutal!! Shows people just climbing over the rail and jumping.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Just read this. A 4 year old girl fell over the edge of the Grand Canyon. Her dad tried CPR to revive her, but couldn't. Sad

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Maybe she thought she was Diane Linkletter!

ComputerGuy Guest

djdeath-hag Guest
    I found the following article about Golden Gate jumpers to be quite well written...it's from The New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200...?currentPage=2

Catherine of Siena Guest
    The problem with jumping is you can never be sure that you will 'do the job' or end up as a living vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I found the following article about Golden Gate jumpers to be quite well written...it's from The New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200...?currentPage=2
    The guy who made the movie, got the idea to do it, based on that article.

A couple years ago, The San Francisco Chronicle (local paper there), ran a HUGE few day article about the suicides on the bridge and even interviewed the coast guard and other emergency crews who would fish out the bodies and they described the condition they'd be in - pretty much all broken up, since jumping off that bridge at such a high elevation and hitting the water is like hitting cement.

It was a pretty gruesome article - and yes, I clipped it!

jennidianne Guest
    Here is the followup to the fall yesterday...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...anyon1010.html

don't_axe_me Guest
    Thanks, jenni...I'll say it again....so sad

monhol Guest
    i read a book about a man who pushed at least 2 of his wives to their deaths from the grand canyon. he also murdered his first wife and the kids and made it look like a double murder/suicide.

motherogod Guest
    No self-respecting Death Hag should be without this book in their collection. I've owned several updated editions over the years and this is definately top shelf information:

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Edge-Deat...875627-3175141
    Read it in one weekend! I just want to meet the author and kiss him on the mouth!

Cayley Guest

I grew up near the Grand Canyon

Hi All,
    I am new here, but not really. I have been reading all your posts, but this is the first one I have replied to.
    I grew up in Flagstaff, AZ which is about 70 miles from the Grand Canyon. Almost every year there would be news of someone who fell into the Grand Canyon, one person drove their car into it, some people have fallen when someone has told them to take one step back for a better picture. Sightseeing helicopters crash ALL THE TIME. In fact, there is a mass burial in Citizens Cemetery in Flagstaff for victims of a crash that happened over the GC in 1956. 128 people died and most of them were buried in Flag because they were unidentifiable.
    What got me actually to reply to this post is because I have a friend from HS that made it into the Over The Edge book. Her name was Sondra Schuler, p. 266. She died in a plane crash.

And as a follow up...that little girl that fell in last week was at a location called Mather Point. There are no railings...People need to keep a better eye on their children when there standing at the edge of a canyon that is a mile deep.....with no railings.

Have a great day!.

GraveGirl Guest

K.
    First thing I thought of too!!

Example a man dived into a hot spring that measured 202 degrees F to save a dog you can imagine the outcome.
    lol...a hot dog with mustard and relish please...

Casanndra Guest
    Stew?

OMG that made me laugh so hard!

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayley View Post
    And as a follow up...that little girl that fell in last week was at a location called Mather Point. There are no railings...People need to keep a better eye on their children when there standing at the edge of a canyon that is a mile deep.....with no railings.
    I think part of the problem is that many (most?) Americans seem to have an "amusement park" mentality now. Meaning that when they go to a popular tourist attraction, they expect everything to be 100% safe by default.

And while I can understand why people might want, say, Disney World to be a non-threatening experience, I'm also not convinced that a bubble-wrapped world is one that is going to encourage people to exercise good judgment (even when they really need to).

42. 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Request A Car To Drive Off Of The Grand Canyon?

Who do you think we are... HERTZ?

SlippyInvader Guest

K.
    I loved that film! I watched it about a month ago and though it was very sad but interesting. I didn't realise around 1,300 people have died committing sucide from the bridge since it opened.

Here is the followup to the fall yesterday...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...anyon1010.html

Jeeeez, 450 foot fall... 4 years old? I guess the attempt to resuscitate was just to say they did it. At that point I think God himself would have to step in for any chance of survival.

Bake Guest
    You somehow can't help standing there looking at the Grand Canyon and wondering how many people have fallen. I was at the West end of it this past summer, I saw the new Skywalk bridge, but didn't go out on it...I'm afraid of heights....and I surely wouldn't go to close to the edge!! I wondered why there were no "railings" for safety, but...how can you put railings on something so huge....

Quote Originally Posted by GraveGirl View Post
    First thing I thought of too!!
    If they were to go on Bikes, why not just jump? They probably figured what's the best way to go together... Car, ok let's do it.

don't_axe_me Guest
    but...how can you put railings on something so huge....
    We have them on thousands of miles of highway...

It's most likely an aesthetic reason just like the Golden Gate bridge.

Bake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    We have them on thousands of miles of highway...
    (smacking my head)..Duh...

jennidianne Guest
    The reason they don't put safety rails in the grand canyon trails is that it is against federal law to do so, as it would destroy the natural beauty of the park..

Then again, they have safety rails on the trail in Carlsbad Caverns, another national park.. hmm..