Thread: Bobby Sands

Bobby Sands

Couldn´t find a page on this guy... so thought I would make one I first heard about him in a movies starring Helen Mirren called "Some Mother´s Son".. he was the leader of a rebellion amongs a buch of inmates in Irish prisons... they where complaining about the conditions, and started a hunger strike... which ended up killing several of them.. the first to die was Bobby Sands. If you can then watch the film.. it´s great - about the mother of one of the striking inmates, who at a point has to choose if she should take her son of the strike or respect his wishes. There´s a new film about it coming called "Hunger" directed by a newcomer Steve Macqueen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30cave_graphic_large.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	10591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_donaldson_and_bobby_sands.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	10592  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

TheMysterian Guest
    Whats intresting was the world reaction at the time.

michael d Guest
    I'll stir the pot here for the sake of conversation. I think Bobby Sands was a good human being. I sympathize with Irish nationalists though I didn't agree with all of the IRA's past actions. I also think Ian Paisley was and is an idiot.
    Last edited by michael d; 12-06-2008 at 02:50 PM.

orionova Guest
    I never used to give the IRA much thought. I'm part Irish, and when I did think of the IRA, I'd think that Ireland should be free of British rule. Then I married and Englishman and had a child. In 2000, an IRA car bomb was found two hundred yards from our house. It was successfully defused, but it could have killed us. I now have no sympathy for anyone that kills in order to try to get their way.

5. 12-06-2008, 03:46 PM

charlietangodelta Guest
    I'm from Ireland, born and raised.

Bobby Sands was a member of a terrorist organisation, plain and simple. The IRA and all the Protestant rival organisations are scum of the earth.
    Perhaps 40 years ago, a united Ireland could have worked but nowadays, the majority of people living in the republic don't want a united Ireland mainly for economic reasons.
    Personally, having grown up with 'the troubles' I always thought the best thing that we could do is dig a large trench around the 6 counties, flood it and hopefully Northern Ireland will float off into the distance!

michael d Guest
    No, I don't agree violence should be used as a means. However, I believe that there was collusion of the British Army and the Ulster Volunteer Force in the murder of Northern Irish. I look forward to seeing the movie Hunger. I hope that the conflict has truly entered a final stage of mending.

charlietangodelta Guest
    Thankfully, there isn't a conflict anymore.
    The younger generations can see past the fallacy of trying to get back 6 counties.
    The British are welcome to them IMHO!
    Of course, there are still the diehard fanatics that will reignite old fires but cretins like those are few and far between. Its amazing was a good education system and an economic boom will do for a country.

michael d Guest
    Education and jobs are always the best remedy.

michael d Guest
    (Thanks charlietangodelta)

Hunger (2008)- directed by Steve McQueen

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=8ZCZ8IT4

As a Catholic person born in Scotland years ago
    now living in Canada have not thought about
    Bobby Sands for years.
    It's like thinking of old ghosts from your past.

michael d Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    As a Catholic person born in Scotland years ago
    now living in Canada have not thought about
    Bobby Sands for years.
    It's like thinking of old ghosts from your past.

I've heard his name coming up from a few places. I wonder if looking at the recent past is a part of moving forward.

I am very much against any kind of violence... but I am for standing up for your rights.. so I´m very torn in the actions of these boys.. Will be looking forward to seeing the new film though..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by charlietangodelta View Post
    I'm from Ireland, born and raised.

Bobby Sands was a member of a terrorist organisation, plain and simple. The IRA and all the Protestant rival organisations are scum of the earth.
    Perhaps 40 years ago, a united Ireland could have worked but nowadays, the majority of people living in the republic don't want a united Ireland mainly for economic reasons.
    Personally, having grown up with 'the troubles' I always thought the best thing that we could do is dig a large trench around the 6 counties, flood it and hopefully Northern Ireland will float off into the distance!
    I hope it works out for Ireland!

charlietangodelta Guest

Talking

Oh yeah! Maybe southern Ireland would float away istead of the north!
    Ah well, it wouldn't be so bad if we were a few extra degrees of longitude towards the equator!!
    We might get a little less rain for a start

Guest Guest
    I love that movie Some Mother's Son!!!!!! Every parent should see it! It will make you ask the question:

Do you love your child enough to let him/her die for what they believe in?
    OR
    Do you love your child enough to keep him/her alive (against their will) because you love them so much?

????

Sorry, OT.

Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    I love that movie Some Mother's Son!!!!!! Every parent should see it! It will make you ask the question:

Do you love your child enough to let him/her die for what they believe in?
    OR
    Do you love your child enough to keep him/her alive (against their will) because you love them so much?

????

Sorry, OT.
    Agree.. it moved me very much too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GrinReaper Guest
    I don't know how or can see how effective hunger strikes are. The only person who it's hurting is the one who does it.
    For example: If I was an A-hole authority figure and someone did a hunger strike to get their way, I'd be like "Well, let him die. Then when he's dead he won't be around to bother us any more."

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    I am very much against any kind of violence... but I am for standing up for your rights.. so I´m very torn in the actions of these boys.. Will be looking forward to seeing the new film though..
    The thing is they weren't protesting for being treated badly or because their rights were violated. They wanted to be treated as enemy combatants. That way they could wear their own clothes and have more freedoms than the average criminal. England, rightly imo, wouldn't give them that status and tagged them as terrorists and criminals. Bobby Sands not only killed himself but his actions also led to others dying as well.

Not sure why, but I've always liked it that they called the conflict "the Troubles".

As someone who grew up through the '70s and '80s in a UK Army family I have no sympathy for the murdering thugs. They were terrorists pure and simple. They said they wanted to be known as an army but spent most of their time blowing up innocent people. Fuck 'em.

Sands wasn't the only one who starved himself to death

Zilla Guest
    I remember this story being in the news when I was a kid. The strangest detail from the news stories is the one that stuck with me, that he had smeared the walls of his cell with his own feces. I can't imagine him having much to work with on a hunger strike.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Sands wasn't the only one who starved himself to death

What a sad time. For all who fought and died.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

maddmatt Guest
    In these days of worldwide terrorism, I find it hard to understand why anyone would even mention this man's name. Back in the 70's me, and my 62 year old Nan, very nearly got blown up by he's bunch of terrorist's, whilst out doing our Christmas shopping, I was 6 or 7 at the time. Strange world we live in.

Terrorist cause terror. Killing the innocent is not a good way to win the hearts and minds of anybody. A child will grow up, at first, believing the books and Instructor of what ever country they live in or Religion they are raised with. Being part Native American I learned that the expansion of the USA came at a great cost. Heroes or Villains? Depends on what side of the line you stand on.

Scotti Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
    As someone who grew up through the '70s and '80s in a UK Army family I have no sympathy for the murdering thugs. They were terrorists pure and simple. They said they wanted to be known as an army but spent most of their time blowing up innocent people. Fuck 'em.
    laugh my ass off,I've noticed that when British people talk about Northern Ireland, they talk about the oh so evil Irish Republican Army and how they blew up poor innocent English people. But they conveniently forget to mention, Bloody Sunday ( both of them),the shank hill butchers, the glennane gang, internment without trial, the Birmingham six and the Guildford four, it just seems to slip their minds.

maddmatt Guest
    Most of the things you mention happened when I was very young, so I had no awareness of Bloody Sunday etc. Why would I be bothered about any of it when I came close to being killed by them, it would hard for anyone to have sympathy for a cause when they nearly finished you off before you even reached 10. Very surprised you "laughed your ass off", very strange reaction, at the end of the day terrorism in all its forms is evil and certainly not funny.

see Cal with Helen Mirren and John Lynch

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Last edited by TrueBlueAngel; 01-29-2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotti View Post
    laugh my ass off,I've noticed that when British people talk about Northern Ireland, they talk about the oh so evil Irish Republican Army and how they blew up poor innocent English people. But they conveniently forget to mention, Bloody Sunday ( both of them),the shank hill butchers, the glennane gang, internment without trial, the Birmingham six and the Guildford four, it just seems to slip their minds.

Just want to say congratulations. You're a very fortunate person indeed to know every Brit to make this ridiculous statement. As for me, I remember and never forget those acts of terrorism you mentioned. Btw, we have never met, I'm one Brit you clearly don't know, but feel free to continue laughing your ass off!

Scotti Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueAngel View Post
    Just want to say congratulations. You're a very fortunate person indeed to know every Brit to make this ridiculous statement. As for me, I remember and never forget those acts of terrorism you mentioned. Btw, we have never met, I'm one Brit you clearly don't know, but feel free to continue laughing your ass off!
    never said i know every brit
    all i said that was in cases where the IRA are mentioned british people tend to conveniently forget their goverment's and their armed forces role in the conflict. i do understand that that british people still hold a grudge against the IRA [ and the the irish people] 15 years after the good friday agreement. just remember the british army have killed more innocents in conflicts all over the world.
    i don't support the IRA neither do i support sinn fein. it just irks me when the british play the victim card while giving a one sided view of the conflict.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    I guess victims of terrorism have the right to play the victim card.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Well, Oliver Cromwell was an English terrorist, so . . . just sayin'.

If you are willing to go far enough back in history, there are more than enough victim cards to go around on every side. IMHO, that has always been the problem in Ireland - to find enough people who agree to call it quits and make a fresh start. Fortunately, this time it seems to be working.

Scotti Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    actually nelson mandela was once referred to as a terrorist, actually by todays standard washington and the continental army would be referred to as terrorists,
    the term terrorism is more or less a propaganda tool used by the stronger side with the most money and the bigger army against the smaller side.
    it's actually very complicated.
    my problem is this is a thread on bobby sands, who was in jail for weapon possession, yet you have all the outcry of the IRA bombed us, they are murderers etc.
    well they did commit murders and they did bomb.
    in all this you never hear about the other side of the coin
    the loyalist paramilitaries who committed more civilian murders than the IRA, the shankhill murders, the dublin and monaghan bombings[ i'm sure there are people who were under 10 then, and just missed being blown up] the list could on and on.
    every country in the world has performed disgusting, and heinous acts in the name of politics , race and religion. a lot of countries have done stuff that would make most so called terrorist groups blush.
    i'm not saying "terrorist groups" should be given sympathy, they shouldn't.
    the victims of the dublin and monaghan bombings are just as important as the victims of the the birmingham or warrington bombings. neither side is innocent .
    just to give you example of propaganda
    the guildford bombings [usually referred to as terrorism and murder] mainly against non-combatants.
    ok fair enough
    warrenpoint
    the ira blew the living crap out of 15 paratroopers [the exact same company the killed 14 people in derry] only 1 civilian death.... killed by a stray bullet from the para's
    so combatants versus combatants is referred to as terrorism? , no only that the wrong side won that battle.

Scotti Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Well, Oliver Cromwell was an English terrorist, so . . . just sayin'.

If you are willing to go far enough back in history, there are more than enough victim cards to go around on every side. IMHO, that has always been the problem in Ireland - to find enough people who agree to call it quits and make a fresh start. Fortunately, this time it seems to be working.
    every single living human being that has gone through war or conflict has the right to play the victim card.

For anybody who might be interested, there is a really good documentary on Netflix right now called "Bobby Sands: 66 Days."
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

patrickwilliams Guest
    Thanks for sharing this post! The published thread is a wonderful addition for me to consider new things!

39. 05-30-2018, 06:04 AM