Thread: Valerie Hobson

Guest Guest

Cool Valerie Hobson

Valerie Hobson (14 April 1917 Larne, County Antrim, Ireland – 13 November 1998 Westminster, London, England [1]) was a British actress, who appeared in a number of British films during the 1940s and 1950s. She was born Babette Valerie Louise Hobson in Larne, County Antrim, Ireland.

She appeared as Baroness Frankenstein in Bride of Frankenstein (1935) with Boris Karloff and Colin Clive, taking over the role from Mae Clarke, who had played it in the original Frankenstein (1931). (This role should not be confused with that of the Monster's Mate, played by Elsa Lanchester.) Hobson also played opposite Henry Hull that same year in Werewolf of London, the first Hollywood werewolf movie, predating The Wolf Man by six years.

The latter half of the 1940s saw Hobson in perhaps her two most memorable roles: as the adult Estella in David Lean's 1946 adaptation of Great Expectations, and as the refined and virtuous Edith D'Ascoyne in the 1949 black comedy Kind Hearts and Coronets.

In 1952 she divorced her first husband, film producer Sir Anthony Havelock-Allan (1904-2003), and married MP John Profumo, giving up acting shortly afterwards. After Profumo's ministerial career ended in disgrace in 1963, following revelations he had lied to the House of Commons about his affair with Christine Keeler, she stood by him, and they worked together for charity for the remainder of her life.

She died of a heart attack in London in 1998 and is buried in Surrey, England.

Very beautiful and subtle lady.... have seen both Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein.. but don´t remember her. she stood by her husband though he had an affair... commendable, am not sure I could do the same
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hobson.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	10546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valariehobson.jpg 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	10547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	profumo460.jpg 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	10548  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

More pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hobson4.jpg 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	10549   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VH2.jpg 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	10550  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest Guest
    AnneBoleyn you have a talent for finding pics of stars in their later years, pics I have never seen, great stuff!

King Tut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    AnneBoleyn you have a talent for finding pics of stars in their later years, pics I have never seen, great stuff!
    Ditto that. I'm almost at the point where I won't dig in to a new Vlad topic until I see Anne has weighed in. Keep up the great work. *bows down*

Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
    Ditto that. I'm almost at the point where I won't dig in to a new Vlad topic until I see Anne has weighed in. Keep up the great work. *bows down*
    Ohh you guys are making me blush You´re so sweet.. just glad to steal a bit of the honour of Vlad´s threads
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]