Thread: Michael Dunn

Danny62 Guest

Michael Dunn

Fasinating story on this guy!!

Actor, singer, piano prodigy, and had a genius IQ of 178. He was born Gary Neil Miller in Oklahoma and only grew to 3 feet 10 inches but it was obvious from an early age that he was special. At the age of 3, he walked up to his mother, Jewell, and said, "Momma, I can read." Her response was, "Sure you can, Gary." The boy then proceeded to pick up the paper and read it to her. At the age of 2, his family moved to Michigan where he won numerous awards in school. He never liked to be called "a little person" but when other kids stared or made fun of him, he would go up and talk to them. Michael earned a journalism degree from the University of Miami, where he was editor of the school newspaper. Despite his physical limitations, including chondrodystrophy, an inherited bone disorder, he also served as a lifeguard and enjoyed playing football and baseball. He always found ways around his physical limitations. His voice also was loud, which helped him on the cheerleading squad at Miami but by the time he graduated, he knew he wanted to be an actor. He went to New York, where he sang in bars and landed parts in off-Broadway plays. Michael was nominated for a Tony Award for his role in the play, "Ballad of a Sad Cafe" and his career took off. He was nominated for Emmy awards for his appearances as "Dr. Loveless" in "Wild Wild West" episodes and in episodes of "Bonanza." He was nominated for an Academy award for his role as narrator in the 1965 movie, "Ship of Fools." He was in England to play the role of Birgito in the production of "The Abdication," when he died. According to a news report, officials said Michael reported his leg was injured in his hotel room, and he telephoned for help. When help arrived, they found him dead. Circumstances of the death always made family members think there was something strange there. His mother received a telegram shortly before his death that said, "I'm OK. The cops are looking." Michael was buried in Fort Launderdale, Florida, where his parents were getting ready to move. His parents always wanted to bring him back to Oklahoma, but it was something they were never able to do. Several years ago, during a visit to his grave, relatives decided it was time to bring him home. His headstone was 3 inches below the surface of the ground, had dirt all over it and no flowers. They didn't want him to be where no family could visit or look after his grave. Michael now lies close to the graves of his mother, Jewell, a teacher, and his father, Fred Miller, a railroad engineer

Oct 20, 1934-Aug 30, 1973

Jaxxx Guest
    You find the most interesting articles

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    You find the most interesting articles
    Thanks!

I am just always looking to see what famous people died!!

Takes up alot of my surfing time!! LOL

Yeah I know...I need a life!!

He was great as Dr. Miguelito Loveless. I also liked him in the films SHIP OF FOOLS, BOOM & NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY in which he confesses to being the (serial) killer of many women. When the detective played by GEORGE SEGAL dismisses him and any possibility that he could be the responsible party, DUNN starts jumping up & down accusing SEGAL'S character of being prejudiced against midgets, "You don't think I'm man enough........" "You think a small man is incapable of murder....I'll show you , I'll show you !"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_alexander.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	md_arcade.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	501  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MorbidMolly Guest
    Always my favorite Wild Wild West episodes, were with him in them....thanks for all the info kids....

VegasVic Guest
    He was good in an episode of Star Trek. He played a mind-controlled minion on a planet where the elitists had learned to harness the power of their minds to control "lesser" people around them. He triumphs in the end.

This guy was amazing. I loved watching him on The Wild, Wild West. He was so deliciously evil!

RoRo Guest
    he was great on WWW!! His death sounds mysterious, wish there was more info on it

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    he was great on WWW!! His death sounds mysterious, wish there was more info on it
    I agree, loved him in Ship of Fools and WWW.

I agree, you certainly do find the most interesting articles! I had no idea he had died under such mysterious circumstances. I'm glad he was able to be brought home to be close to his family and friends.

Yes, and of course he was on an episode of Star Trek so that makes him a super star in my book. RIP Michael!
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just saw an episode of Wild Wild West with him in it, so I had to resurrect this thread...

Phoebe Dorin, who appeared with him several times on WWW playing Antoinette, actually was his singing partner. Roddy McDowall told them they should start a night club act, which they did. This led to them appearing on WWW after the producers saw them perform. When Michael got married, his wife was jealous of Phoebe and made him end the partnership, which is why she doesn't appear with him in later episodes of WWW.

The guy was so smart and talented. Sad that he died so young.

jackielee90 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Fasinating story on this guy!!

Actor, singer, piano prodigy, and had a genius IQ of 178. He was born Gary Neil Miller in Oklahoma and only grew to 3 feet 10 inches but it was obvious from an early age that he was special. At the age of 3, he walked up to his mother, Jewell, and said, "Momma, I can read." Her response was, "Sure you can, Gary." The boy then proceeded to pick up the paper and read it to her. At the age of 2, his family moved to Michigan where he won numerous awards in school. He never liked to be called "a little person" but when other kids stared or made fun of him, he would go up and talk to them. Michael earned a journalism degree from the University of Miami, where he was editor of the school newspaper. Despite his physical limitations, including chondrodystrophy, an inherited bone disorder, he also served as a lifeguard and enjoyed playing football and baseball. He always found ways around his physical limitations. His voice also was loud, which helped him on the cheerleading squad at Miami but by the time he graduated, he knew he wanted to be an actor. He went to New York, where he sang in bars and landed parts in off-Broadway plays. Michael was nominated for a Tony Award for his role in the play, "Ballad of a Sad Cafe" and his career took off. He was nominated for Emmy awards for his appearances as "Dr. Loveless" in "Wild Wild West" episodes and in episodes of "Bonanza." He was nominated for an Academy award for his role as narrator in the 1965 movie, "Ship of Fools." He was in England to play the role of Birgito in the production of "The Abdication," when he died. According to a news report, officials said Michael reported his leg was injured in his hotel room, and he telephoned for help. When help arrived, they found him dead. Circumstances of the death always made family members think there was something strange there. His mother received a telegram shortly before his death that said, "I'm OK. The cops are looking." Michael was buried in Fort Launderdale, Florida, where his parents were getting ready to move. His parents always wanted to bring him back to Oklahoma, but it was something they were never able to do. Several years ago, during a visit to his grave, relatives decided it was time to bring him home. His headstone was 3 inches below the surface of the ground, had dirt all over it and no flowers. They didn't want him to be where no family could visit or look after his grave. Michael now lies close to the graves of his mother, Jewell, a teacher, and his father, Fred Miller, a railroad engineer

Oct 20, 1934-Aug 30, 1973

jackielee90 Guest
    I grew up watching the show wild wild west i would watch the reruns with my mother i always liked micheal dunns charictor dr loveless

A little more information about his death. It is from Wikipedia so adjust believability accordingly

Death Spinal deformities, including scoliosis, caused a distorted ribcage that restricted Dunn's lung growth and function. The resulting respiratory insufficiency caused overload of the heart's right chambers, a chronic condition called cor pulmonale. He died in his sleep in his room at the Cadogan Hotel in London, on August 30, 1973, at age 38, while on location for The Abdication.
    The New York Times reported his cause of death as undisclosed, leading to decades of repeated public speculation about possible suicide.[SIZE=2][11][/SIZE] However, the designation "undisclosed" signified merely that no cause of death had yet been determined. An autopsy was performed on August 31, 1973, by Professor R.D. Teare at St. George's Hospital in southwest London, who noted: "The right side of the heart was widely dilated and hypertrophied to twice its normal thickness. The left ventricle was normal in size." He recorded the cause of death as cor pulmonale.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] This information is confirmed in the "Report of the Death of an American Citizen" from the U.S. Department of State, Foreign Service, American Embassy in London, made out on October 12, 1973, by Micaela A. Cella, Vice Consul. The report is on record in the U.S. National Archives in College Park, Maryland.
    A London physician reportedly prescribed and administered two narcotics and a barbiturate for severe arthritic pain, despite the extreme risk of inducing respiratory depression, apnea, and death in a patient with decreased respiratory reserve. Dunn may have needed the drugs in order to tolerate the physical demands of shooting a movie. The autopsy's finding of intense vascular congestion in the lungs also suggests the possibility that a rapidly progressive pneumonia may have been developing.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE]
    Allegations of chronic alcoholism are unsubstantiated by the autopsy report, which notes only venous congestion of the liver—presumably secondary to Dunn's right-heart failure—without cirrhosis, and without inflammation of the stomach lining or pancreas. One consequence of such liver dysfunction would be jaundice. Another would be intoxication after drinking even small amounts of alcohol, as well as a toxic reaction to the prescribed drugs—either of which could also induce altered mental status (such as disorientation, delusions, faulty memory). This may explain the family's report that Dunn sent home a strange telegram "shortly before his death." ("I'm OK. The cops are looking.")[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE] Rumors of foul play and theft of the body are completely unsubstantiated by Scotland Yard.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE]
    Remarkably, despite being severely ill and in great pain, Dunn continued working nearly up to the day of his death, living up to his own description of himself as "a both-feet jumper."[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE] He was buried September 10, 1973, in Lauderdale Memorial Park Cemetery, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, near his parents' retirement home in Lauderhill. In July, 2007, a first cousin, with her spouse and grandson, had his remains exhumed and driven to Oklahoma, reburying them near his parents' graves in Sunset Memorial Park Cemetery, Norman, Oklahoma. The relatives took the action out of respect for the wishes of the late Fred (d. 1981) and Jewell Miller (d. 1990).[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE]
    [

15. 12-22-2017, 07:59 AM