Thread: Bobby "Boris" Pickett..He did the monster mash!

Danny62 Guest

Bobby "Boris" Pickett..He did the monster mash!

The title says it all folks...

His son died at the age of three.

Co-wrote the song "Monster Mash".
    Bobby "Boris" Pickett is the only active performer whose original recording reached "the top 100" on three different occasions.

His first live performance backup band was a group of young relatively unknowns called The Beach Boys.

He was "found" by a daughter and two grandchildren he never knew he had in 1997.

In 1962 the British Broadcasting Corp. radio network banned Pickett's song "Monster Mash" as "offensive" and "unhealthy".

In the late 70s, on one occasion, his back up band was (a very young) Van Halen.

"Monster Mash" was written after a band-mate suggested they showcase Pickett's impression of actor Boris Karloff.

Bob Dylan was a big fan of his novelty hit.

His tour bus broke down outside Frankenstein, Missouri at a 1973 Halloween show.

Survived by his sister, Lynda; his daughter, Nancy; and his two grandchildren.

The pianist on "Monster Mash" is blues legend Leon Russell.

He wrote "Monster Mash" in about 30 minutes. He added his own sound effects: the "creaky door" is a nail being pulled from a piece of wood, and the "boiling cauldron" is Pickett blowing bubbles in a cup of water with a straw.

The recording was turned down by four major labels. Finally, Gary Paxton, who was the lead singer on the Hollywood Argyles' novelty hit "Alley Oop", released it on his own label.

Feb 11, 1938-25 Apr, 2007

Great stuff Danny.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I had no idea that Boris Pickett passed away.
    I Loved The Monster Mash when I was a kid.
    I had a whole album actually, that I played to death (no pun intended).

Died as a result of leukemia. RIP Bobby
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    didn't know until the end of 07

Jaxxx Guest
    Love this song, whats Halloween without it? The Beach Boys, Van Halen, Leon Russell, what a great story, you rock Danny!

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    The title says it all folks...

The recording was turned down by four major labels. Finally, Gary Paxton, who was the lead singer on the Hollywood Argyles' novelty hit "Alley Oop", released it on his own label.

Feb 11, 1938-25 Apr, 2007
    Even though Paxton is very much alive ( I believe ), the Hollywood Argyles
    is one group who actually deserves its own thread here.

I have the Dick Clark 1978 Good Ole Days special on tape. While they showed the music video of Alley Oop ( yes there was video made of that song ), Paxton was saying whetever happened to the band. One member was burned to death in a car accident in Canada while another I remember hearing was murdered. Two other members were never heard from again. As if they vanished from Earth.

Paxton on the special says he is now ( in 1978 ) working at PTL with Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker and how he found Jesus Christ. It was around the same time Paxton was reported to be having an affair with Tammy Faye.

dustbuster Guest
    a friend of mine was managing Bobby in the years before his death. he most recently had been appearing at "Chiller" fan conventions, signing autographs, etc. wasn't Kim Fowley also involved with the Hollywood Argyles?

very cool information danny!
    pull the string!

A-train Guest
    Omg some guy sang monster mash at karaoke at the bar i work at last night, I hadn't heard that song in years! Good stuff!!

I remember having 'Monster Mash' on a Halloween compilation record. I used to listen to it on my portable Fisher Price turntable.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I wonder about these one hit wonders. It must really grate that you only get one bite at the cherry and boom, it is gone. Then there is the rest of your life to contend with.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    He is a graveyard smash! I love that song...One of my main staples when I was a kid...That and Alley Oop...They just don't make em like they used to...

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    He is a graveyard smash! I love that song...One of my main staples when I was a kid...That and Alley Oop...They just don't make em like they used to...

So true...you wouldn't here anything that original anymore!

15. 09-16-2008, 06:46 AM

Reason
    spam