Thread: Paul Tibbets: A true American hero

onehunglow Guest

Paul Tibbets: A true American hero

A true American hero.

Danny62 Guest
    That is sad! He never regretted what he did!

Wierd I just mentioned him in a post a couple days ago!!!

poppie Guest
    Indeed, General Tibbits was a reluctant hero and basically a quiet, shy man. He was a Colonel when he dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. The B-29 he flew, and the ones that accompanied him unwent much modification to survive the bomb drop. If events did not go as planned and hoped, his aircraft would have also been consumed by the bomb's explosion/suction. Major Charles W. Sweeney, the pilot who dropped the other bomb on Nagaski, died in 2004. Perhaps the two warriors are sitting together, sharing a beer, and talking over old times. I wish them both - Rest in Peace.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Peace to a good and decent and honorable man.
    General Tibbits, than you for your service.

ScottyMonger Guest
    whether you agree or disagree with the dropping of 2 Atomic bombs upon Japan, there is little doubt that is shortened the war and saved many lives on both sides.

Besides, if Tibbits hadn't done his duty, we would all be driving Japanese cars today.

b57hrle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    [SIZE=4]whether you agree or disagree with the dropping of 2 Atomic bombs upon Japan[/SIZE], there is little doubt that is shortened the war and saved many lives on both sides.
    My thoughts exactly... Rest In Peace to a man who did his job as he was told. An honorable man and quiet hero. Its sad but true his thoughts on not having a headstone... it would probably become a site of protests and needless vandalism... he was just a man who followed orders.

He requested no funeral and no headstone. Didn't want his grave to become a protest site.

A good and honorable man who saved thousands of American lives.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    He requested no funeral and no headstone. Didn't want his grave to become a protest site.

A good and honorable man who saved thousands of American lives.
    Its sad because the few remaining world war II vets I am sure would like to pay respects to this guy...he saved over one million lives...the estimate of loses we would have suffered if we had to invade Japan!!!

But I can see his point! I am sure it would be endlessly vandalized!!!

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by b57hrle View Post
    My thoughts exactly... Rest In Peace to a man who did his job as he was told. An honorable man and quiet hero. Its sad but true his thoughts on not having a headstone... it would probably become a site of protests and needless vandalism... he was just a man who followed orders.
    Indeed. History is replete with men who simply "followed orders."

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Indeed. History is replete with men who simply "followed orders."

Exactly. Those who followed orders to START wars and those, like Tibbets, who followed orders to END wars.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Exactly. Those who followed orders to START wars and those, like Tibbets, who followed orders to END wars.
    Yes, I'm well aware of the mantra.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Yes, I'm well aware of the mantra.
    It's not a mantra, just a fact. Admiral Yamamoto followed his orders and Tibbetts followed his. I don't hold Yamamoto responsible for starting the war and I don't hold Tibbets responsible for our nation using the atomic bomb.

Your point is well-taken that "just following orders" does not excuse one from their actions. However, holding Tibbets reponsible for the use of the atomic bomb is like blaming capital punishment on the guy who pushes the button in the execution chamber.

If there is an argument to be made against the U.S.'s use of the atomic bomb, AND THERE IS, that argument should be made toward ALL AMERICANS, and not just the pilot who did his duty.
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 11-01-2007 at 07:39 PM.

It's not a mantra, just a fact. Admiral Yamamoto followed his orders and Tibbetts followed his. I don't hold Yamamoto responsible for starting the war and I don't hold Tibbets responsible for our nation using the atomic bomb.

Your point is well-taken that "just following orders" does not excuse one from their actions. However, holding Tibbets reponsible for the use of the atomic bomb is like blaming capital punishment on the guy who pushes the button in the execution chamber.

If there is an argument to be made against the U.S.'s use of the atomic bomb, AND THERE IS, that argument should be made against ALL AMERICANS, and not just the pilot who did his duty.
    Well said! Rest in peace Colonel Tibbets.

He served his country honorably and did the right thing to shorten the war.May he rest in peace.

different kind of girl Guest
    We met him a few years ago at an air show in FL. He was so funny. My husband was talking to him, telling him how much he admired him, etc. and Tibbets said something like "get to the point already." He was a stubborn, no BS kind of man. It's still a running joke I have with my husband, I say "get to the point already." sigh, it's true, he rambles.

Let's not be totally blind here, what he did might have been bad. The Japanese weren't exactly known for their sympathetic approach to civilians. Look at their occupation of the Phillipines, Korea, the list is endless. I totally believe that if they had the means, they would have done the same thing. After all, this is the same country that used mini subs and kamikazees. I think also that these bombs served as a notice for the dangers of atomic weapons which has prevented a lot of countries from using them in the past years. Rest In Peace Sir.

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

poppie Guest
    I hope I am not reading into a couple posts about General Tibbts what might appear to be criticism of this hero. If someone will look into the typical cruelness of the Japanese military, they will realize dropping that bomb was the appropriate measure to end the war with Japan. The Japanese did not want to surrender, no matter how many of their civilians were killed. The Rape of Nanking in which occured in 1937 and 1938 was almost has horrific as the Hitler ovens. Read stories our POW's, both military and civilian, relate of their treatment in POW camps. God bless General Tibbit and may he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    I hope I am not reading into a couple posts about General Tibbts what might appear to be criticism of this hero. If someone will look into the typical cruelness of the Japanese military, they will realize dropping that bomb was the appropriate measure to end the war with Japan. The Japanese did not want to surrender, no matter how many of their civilians were killed. The Rape of Nanking in which occured in 1937 and 1938 was almost has horrific as the Hitler ovens. Read stories our POW's, both military and civilian, relate of their treatment in POW camps. God bless General Tibbit and may he rest in peace.
    Amen Poppie...and also, he himself felt no regret either.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post

Unfortunately, Tibbets is a "lightning rod" in the debate over the use of atomic weapons. He recognized this, and I'm sure it influenced his decision to not have a funeral or a headstone. It's unfortunate that he is singled out in this debate, as he was a fine soldier who performed his duty. May he rest in peace.

Jaxxx Guest
    God speed, Good Night Sweet Prince

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest

If there is an argument to be made against the U.S.'s use of the atomic bomb, AND THERE IS, that argument should be made toward ALL AMERICANS, and not just the pilot who did his duty.
    Oh, I certainly agree with you here.

My point wasn't to single out Tibbets per se, but simply to QUESTION the stories we've been fed in academia for decades regarding the use of this weapon, good or bad. I'm personally of the belief that we are all DEFINITELY to blame as one human family, not just Americans. Afterall, If we all individually made conscious efforts not to participate in these conflicts, then we probably wouldn't have them. I realize that this is probably asking a bit much at this stage in our evolutionary development, but this is how I've tried to live my life, albeit, not always successfully. While I certainly understand most of the logic given to justify the use of the bomb on Hiroshima, I have consciously chosen to steer clear of any glorification of this event.

This is definitely demonstartive of a moral conundrum--at least for me.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 11-03-2007 at 12:14 PM.

here's an interview with Tibbets and a speech by Truman. very interesting. catch the joke about the bombing - no way we would hear that today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhZERU58RSI

Enola Gay was his mom.

tarsier Guest
    Oh, I certainly agree with you here.

My point wasn't to single out Tibbets per se, but simply to QUESTION the stories we've been fed in academia for decades regarding the use of this weapon, good or bad. I'm personally of the belief that we are all DEFINITELY to blame as one human family, not just Americans. Afterall, If we all individually made conscious efforts not to participate in these conflicts, then we probably wouldn't have them. I realize that this is probably asking a bit much at this stage in our evolutionary development, but this is how I've tried to live my life, albeit, not always successfully. While I certainly understand most of the logic given to justify the use of the bomb on Hiroshima, I have consciously chosen to steer clear of any glorification of this event.

This is definitely demonstartive of a moral conundrum--at least for me.
    Why does this remind me of Team America?
    I have my own views on the necessity of the dropping of those bombs that wasn't fed by academia but i've no doubt Tibbets and crew did what they felt was necessary and in this is honor. My understanding is in those days folks tended to believe what they were told; My Dad actually admitts he believed hiding undar a table would save him from a nuclear attack. Based on the information available to him Tibbets made what he felt was the correct moral decisions. He should rest well.

TheMysterian Guest
    I suggest reading "The Tibbets Story" it's the Generals life story,first published in 1978. It's a fascinating look in to a Man and his life and what he believed in back during the war and up till his death I would think. He was born to be a leader who didn't pull any punches,nor did he "skirt" his responsibilities. He wasn,t a "Glory Hound",just a soldier who was the best qualified for the enormous job that had to be done. If you have ever seen the movie with Robert Taylor "Above and Beyond" you have only half the story,the book covers it all. Rest in peace General!