Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jack Benny

derbingle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Has anyone ever read Jack Benny's biography? I'm curious about it.
    I actually own it. It's on the bookshelf downstairs and have read it a couple of times. It's worth a read. No big controversies or confessions. It's more of a love story.

I remember watching one of Jack's last Christmas specials (when it originally aired, ewww I'm old). Anyhoo, Jack was sitting down in a chair surrounded by children and Jack was wearing a Santa cap. Sitting in his lap was a little girl. These kids were not actors but extras. Jack engaged in some small talk and then said "I can't wait until Santa comes down the chimney to sell some toys." The little girl on his lap, NOT acting alarmingly shrieked "SELL SOME TOYS?!?!?!" Jack lost it. Me and my family laughed at that for a good ten minutes.

They do not make 'em like Jack anymore.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    My favorite Warner Brothers cartoon was of Jack Benny and his friends as mice, where they all went to the Kit Kat Klub inside of the cat's mouth. It was funny if you've ever seen it

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes1986 View Post
    My favorite Warner Brothers cartoon was of Jack Benny and his friends as mice, where they all went to the Kit Kat Klub inside of the cat's mouth. It was funny if you've ever seen it
    I remember that. I liked it too.

Chunga Guest
    To Be Or Not To Be is one of the funniest, and yet poignant movies I've ever seen. A true classic in every sense. There was a kid in my fourth grade class who would walk like Benny.

Jack and Myrna Loy!

Last edited by Chunga; 06-07-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Mach2 Guest
    In "To be or not to be" Benny's wife leaves the theater each night as Benny begins his long Shakesperian soliloquy in order to have an affair. Benny realizes this but must remain on stage. Very funnt scene.

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    In "To be or not to be" Benny's wife leaves the theater each night as Benny begins his long Shakesperian soliloquy in order to have an affair. Benny realizes this but must remain on stage. Very funnt scene.
    Not only that, but when they escape from occupied Poland and he performs the soliloquy in England, the same thing happens again! How gorgeous is Carol Lombard!

The episode of the Jack Benny Show with Nat King Cole is one of my very favorites! A young boy completely upstages Jack when he plays the drums to accompany Nat and Jack! Hilarious!

An amazing performer and human being....and to think that he did all he did at the age of "39" *wink* !!!

Pat MaGroin Guest

Jack Benny Autograph

Here is 1 of 2 Jack Benny Autographs I own (The other is framed and hanging in my office, I'll upload later...)

This (light) signature says "for Peter From Jack Benny" and is on an advert for Israel - Oy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JackBennyIsraelAd.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	29521  

Morto Guest
    I have a 78 rpm record set of three records in a beautiful case of the Jack Benny show in the 40s.Got it when I was a kid,still sounds great!!!

Pat MaGroin Guest

Jack Benny Signed Note to "Barbara"

Here is a signed note ("Jack") that Jack Benny wrote on Fairmont Hotel and Tower San Francisco stationery to "Barbara" on "Monday" (no date). I reproduced the note in the same format below. A couple of words I couldn't decipher. I apologize for the faintness of the last picture.

*Thanks to Ludigan for figuring out 1 of the words for me!*

Fairmont Hotel and Tower
    San Francisco

Monday

Dear Barbara,
    I tried to
    reach you on the
    phone this a.m.
    but it was busy or out-of-order
    as I called several
    times.
    Am now in
    San Francisco – where
    I am going to work
    a week – and then
    back to Palm
    Springs for a
    months rest. I
    postponed my
    London trip, so
    I could stay home
    for a while –
    Thanks very
    much for sending
    the O_ ? ase
    and the articles –
    I must say that
    I felt – the concert
    in Boston with
    Leinsdorf was
    the best of all
    of them. I had
    a ball –
    Will call you
    soon. Thanks
    again and
    much love
    Jack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JackBennySignedNoteBarbaraMonday.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	29592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JackBennySignedNoteBarbaraMonday1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	29593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JackBennySignedNoteBarbaraMonday2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	29594  
    Last edited by Pat MaGroin; 01-03-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Jack Benny had an elementary school named after him in his hometown of Waukegan, IL. The kids there planted a tree, and word got to Fred Allen that it had died.

Fred quipped "How can you expect a tree to live when the sap is out in Hollywood?"

Fred and Jack had some classic moments during their "feud" on the radio.

His good friend Isaac Stern said when Jack took the stage in white tie and tails, he looked like the world's greatest violinist.

He added, "It's a shame he has to play!"
    Last edited by Ludigan; 01-03-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludigan View Post
    Jack Benny had an elementary school named after him in his hometown of Waukegan, IL. The kids there planted a tree, and word got to Fred Allen that it had died.

Fred quipped "How can you expect a tree to live when the sap is out in Hollywood?"

Fred and Jack had some classic moments during their "feud" on the radio.

His good friend Isaac Stern said when Jack took the stage in white tie and tails, he looked like the world's greatest violinist.

He added, "It's a shame he has to play!"

lol funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    I must say that
    I felt â?? the concert
    In Boston with
    L___?_derf was
    the best of all
    of them.

Erich Leinsdorf (born Erich Landauer) (February 4, 1912 â?? September 11, 1993)

was a naturalized American Austrian conductor. He performed and recorded with leading orchestras and opera companies throughout the United States and Europe, earning a reputation for exacting standards as well as an acerbic personality.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludigan View Post
    Erich Leinsdorf (born Erich Landauer) (February 4, 1912 â?? September 11, 1993)

was a naturalized American Austrian conductor. He performed and recorded with leading orchestras and opera companies throughout the United States and Europe, earning a reputation for exacting standards as well as an acerbic personality.
    Wow! Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
    To Be Or Not To Be is one of the funniest, and yet poignant movies I've ever seen. A true classic in every sense. There was a kid in my fourth grade class who would walk like Benny.

Jack and Myrna Loy!

And Basil Rathbone!

lobosco107 Guest
    Jack Benny was a genius - a lot of people forget that he made a few good movie too:

Check it out:

http://greatentertainersarchives.blo...-benny-in.html

mxwe Guest
    Did he have children? I wouldn't think his wife would put up with kids around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by mxwe View Post
    Did he have children? I wouldn't think his wife would put up with kids around the house.
    He has one daughter Joan. She wrote "Sunday Nights at Seven" about her dad. Actually, the book was a memoir that her dad wrote (and never finished?) and she incorporated it with her own stories.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 10-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Cindy

deanfan Guest
    He had an adopted daughter named Joan. I saw her on his show one time with Mary. They were playing themselves and I remember she was doing her homework.

radiojane Guest
    Mary did want children, but was unable to have any of her own. After several miscarriages they adopted Joan. She had an uneasy relationship with her mother, but I think a lot of that was to do with the fact that Mary was probably an undiagnosed bi polar patient.

When I was a kid my family was driving home from a vacation and we came upon a limo in the middle lane of a three lane freeway near Palm Springs. The limo was driving a few miles an hour under the speed limit and my mom said that she thought it might be Jack Benny as she had read that he always had anyone driving him drive that way. As we passed the limo Jack Benny looked over and waved to us. About a year later we came out of a movie theater and when we turned on the car radio the first thing we heard was that he had just died.

Although this the Jack Benny thread, I read the George Burns book about Gracie Allen, of course he and Jack were the best of friends, Gracie was a gem. Mary Benny wanted what George would give Gracie, but bigger and better, and more of it. Gracie didn't really dislike Mary, but she wasn't overly fond of her either.

I have a copy of the Joan/Jack Benny book, it's a good read. Jack was a tip top man, no ugly surprises with him.

I also love Jack Benny remember the day he died
    and later that night Johnny Carson talked about
    it.

He was almost crying.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Robert Vesco Guest
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Jack Benny and Mary Livingstone had an open marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vesco View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Jack Benny and Mary Livingstone had an open marriage?
    I have heard that rumor years ago, but never read anything to collaborate it.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Vesco View Post
    People can always surprise you, but in this case, I don't think so. I read the Jack Benny book by his daughter, and if I recall correctly, Mary was very insecure and all about appearances- I can't imagine her having an open marriage.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

radiojane Guest
    A great clip I found of Phil Harris' roast of Jack Benny. Phil touched on a lot of what made the Benny show so good.

Bidmor Guest
    Thanks for the clip, Jane. Funny Phil Harris...forgot all about him and the art of taking a drag on a cigarette and continue to talk without pausing to blow out the smoke.

radiojane Guest
    I love Phil Harris. He's my favorite.

nice photo of Jack and his daughter Joan.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Hey Scott, just a heads up: there was a young woman on The Today Show, who has the guest book from Jack Benny's funeral: signed by Ronald Reagan, Groucho Marx, and it is owned by someone named Sherry. She is looking to sell it! The people from Hardcore Pawn gave a price of $10,000 said it was definitely "old Hollywood."

SPAM
    Last edited by cindyt; 03-20-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Fiddlesticks! I hadn't seen this old gem in a while and it's spam. Boo.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Fiddlesticks! I hadn't seen this old gem in a while and it's spam. Boo.
    I know, right.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    He has one daughter Joan. She wrote "Sunday Nights at Seven" about her dad. Actually, the book was a memoir that her dad wrote (and never finished?) and she incorporated it with her own stories.
    True, I remember reading that book back in like 1992.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.