Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Benny

Love Jack Benny! I have a few of his radio shows, and I am thinking about getting the rest from a website that sells old radio shows in MP3 format. I don't have the address right now, because I'm at work, but I can post it from home.

I think the racist stuff has been done to death.. Lets move on please or my clown will wank off on you.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger View Post
    Death Hag Chris, I can assure you that I am a separate person from ScottyMonger, but thanks for dragging me into this argument for no apparent reason. Let me ask you this, do you have a job? 420 posts?? And the vast majority of them not even related to the forum? You are one of the top 5 complete wastes of time on this board. You load it up with posts that you obviously think are witty but which are, in reality, uneducated and poorly worded. Did you notice that only a small group of 8 to 10 people respond to you, out of thousands and thousands? Am I hostile to you right now? Yes, because you brought me into this thing that I had nothing to do with. And for the record, I agree with ScottyMonger, you are a douche for bringing a PC racism discussion into the Jack Benny board.
    actually i'm a stay at home father. does that bother you? would you like to name the other 4 "wastes of time"? spit it out, Milte. i'm dying to know.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    actually i'm a stay at home father. does that bother you? would you like to name the other 4 "wastes of time"? spit it out, Milte. i'm dying to know.

Sorry this just reminded me of you and Uncle Miltie...Trying to lighten the tension!!

blair Guest
    DHC--psst....

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    Hey, DHC, YOU dragged me into this argument. You do acknowledge that right?

6. 11-02-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    btw, who else get's the feeling Scottster and Milte are either the same person. or were seperated at birth?
    Hey Milte!!!

Just wanted to say Hi... I have no Jack Benny comments to add, guess I'm OFF TOPIC once again

take care.

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    Jason, do a quick review of this thread if you will. Look closely and notice that I wasn't even involved in it in anyway. Then look closer at your great internet-buddy Chris' posts. Notice anything unique about one of them? Yes, the one where for some reason he started talking about me, although I had not even posted on Jack Benny and was in no way involved with this discussion? And by the way, the reason you have had no success with music is because yours sucks.

I honestly don't care. I just wanted to say HI! jeeez, can't a guy be nice in here

Have a good weekend, gotta go work on my shitty music

Everyone stop shitting all over this thread. And while you're at it, considering taking Internet insults a little less seriously. It's okay to not escalate things, you know. It doesn't lessen your manhood to have some anonymous person disagree with you.

From this point on, anyone that says anything antagonistic in this thread toward or about any non-famous person gets a seven-day ban. Stick to to topic and you'll be fine; say anything even as slight as, "Well, I guess that told you," and you get a vacation from the boards for a week.

The time for smart-ass comments is not now, in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by opheliahardin View Post
    Oh, that's delightful. Someday, someone's going to get the wise idea to create a cable channel replaying all those old shows...

in the early eighties,some network played i am fairly sure,jack benny,ernie kovacs,and the steve allen show in a block. i am all for showing them again,

TobbeJ Guest
    For me who lives in Sweden I will always remember him from what I've seen mostly from documentaries with Groucho Marx and from the classic 'To be or not to be' (One of my favorite films, even a little better than Chaplin's The great dictator' in my opinion). Sadly I've never seen that much else with him but from what I see he is very funny and I take comedy very seriously.

Thats it.. get the umbrella. One more shit comment about Jack Benny, Rochester, racism, crap about other posters.. the clown WILL wank. I'm not kidding.

Knock it the hell off and take your discussion to the proper board.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TobbeJ View Post
    For me who lives in Sweden I will always remember him from what I've seen mostly from documentaries with Groucho Marx and from the classic 'To be or not to be' (One of my favorite films, even a little better than Chaplin's The great dictator' in my opinion). Sadly I've never seen that much else with him but from what I see he is very funny and I take comedy very seriously.
    Well, here are some more classic clips from his show for your viewing pleasure.

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_r1Ynl4Ls[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miAlz1lCgZ4[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RML1dSdXpZ0[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTi8W0rcTBc[/SIZE]

Bidmor Guest
    I think it was Mel Brooks who told a story about Jack...Mel was a writer on the Benny show at the time as memory serves.

Mel was talking about how much of an optimist Benny was and that he found great joy in the simplest of things. One day, Jack was very late to a writer's meeting. When he finally arrived, someone asked where he was. Benny answered by going into minute detail about a ham sandwich he'd just eaten at a restaraunt. It seems that Benny went on and on about how good the sandwich was...the best ham sandwich he'd ever had. Finally someone said "OK Jack, enough about the sandwich....it was just a ham sandwich. Now let's get to work." Benny replied "Alright...but it was good!"

TobbeJ Guest

Thanks alot. Much appreciated (sorry for my spelling)

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TobbeJ View Post
    Thanks alot. Much appreciated (sorry for my spelling)
    Your spelling is fine. Trust me, your English spelling is much better than my Swedish spelling. Hell, it's probably better than my English spelling!

Guest Guest
    There's a story Jack told once about his trip overseas. I am paraphrasing.

Jack was on a USO tour and he was in the mess hall having lunch when this big drawling Southern boy sat down next to him and started talking. "Mistah Benny, your show today just weren't funny without Rochester. I sure love that boy."

Jack replied, "Well, Rochester couldn't make it this time, I'm sorry about that."

The guy wouldn't let up. "Well I'm just saying your show would have been a lot funnier with Rochester, he cracks me up. Yep. I'd walk a mile to see Rochester."

Jack reples "Well, if I had brought him, I'd bet you would have liked to meet him, maybe even have lunch with him."

"Mistah Benny, where I come from, we don't eat with no negros."

Jack got up. "That's exactly why I didn't bring him, so he wouldn't have to listen to ignorant jerks like you. You love Rochester. You'd walk a mile to see him. But you wouldn't eat with him. You people make me sick." And he left.

TobbeJ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post

Jack was on a USO tour and he was in the mess hall having lunch when this big drawling Southern boy sat down next to him and started talking. "Mistah Benny, your show today just weren't funny without Rochester. I sure love that boy."

Jack replied, "Well, Rochester couldn't make it this time, I'm sorry about that."

The guy wouldn't let up. "Well I'm just saying your show would have been a lot funnier with Rochester, he cracks me up. Yep. I'd walk a mile to see Rochester."

Jack reples "Well, if I had brought him, I'd bet you would have liked to meet him, maybe even have lunch with him."

Jack got up. "That's exactly why I didn't bring him, so he wouldn't have to listen to ignorant jerks like you. You love Rochester. You'd walk a mile to see him. But you wouldn't eat with him. You people make me sick." And he left.
    That's the type of Idiotic racist people we are glad are from a completly different generation and thank god they are dying out, but race has always been a very big issue in America and sadly nowadays the slightest remark to anyones race there marks you as a racist which shows that America still has a long way to go before people of all colors can be made fun of without anyone thinking about it as racist.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post

Awesome! That speaks volumes about Benny.

Danny62 Guest
    I don't know if this is off topic but I would rather spend an evening listening to Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Suspense, The shadow and all those old time radios show then I would watched Network TV!!

Old time radio leaves Network TV in the dust creativity and just all around entertaning pleasure!!

Radio was truly "theater of the mind!"

Yeah Danny... that's not fair. Where's the beefcake pic?

one of my favorites
    In 1962, Jack appeared on the game show "The $64,000 Question" when after answering the first question (worth $64), he quit and took home the money, rather than risk losing it on a second question (his category was violins).

dbrian Guest
    Johnny that's a great story! One of the great things about Jack Benny was that he was not too big to let the other guy get a laugh--because he usually found a way to grab a laugh anyway. Mel Blanc was a gem on that show. Apparently he did a recording of the Bach Double Violin Concerto with Isaac Stern. He wasn't as awful as he pretended to be.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Yeah Danny... that's not fair. Where's the beefcake pic?
    The clown was scaring me. Also I am in a dark mood this weekend!!

*grumble*

Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    Johnny that's a great story! One of the great things about Jack Benny was that he was not too big to let the other guy get a laugh--because he usually found a way to grab a laugh anyway. Mel Blanc was a gem on that show. Apparently he did a recording of the Bach Double Violin Concerto with Isaac Stern. He wasn't as awful as he pretended to be.
    Benny did a number of concerts on behalf of Israel. He could play of course people came for the laughs.

Danny62 Guest
    *grumble*
    Monday, I promise!!

ScottyMonger Guest
    Found a couple of clips regarding his violin playing, which was reportedly his first love.

[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnenuopN7zo[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oYqNwjqCCs[/SIZE]

Jaynrand Guest
    There used to be a theatre called Starlight Musicals in Indy - each year they brought "stars" in to do Broadway type shows. Other stars like Liberace and Mitzi Gaynor would bring in their own revue shows. One of the most popular was Jack Benny - sold out year after year.

One summer, a lady who was a fan, wrote Jack and letter and invited him to dinner at her house the next time he was in town. And the next summer, he showed up on her doorstep - in fact he had dinner at her house every night that week.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    He may or may not have been a cheapskate in real life, but in death he spent the big bucks.

Buried at Hillside Memorial Park in Los Angeles in the mausoleum Hall of Graciousness. If you have ever flow into LAX and took the freeway into down, you've seen the mausoleum on your right - he's buried behind the giant Al Jolson waterfall gravesite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bennyjack.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81_1009216297.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	546  

Katie Guest
    Wow that was some thread to go through. I loved Jack Benny. You really had to appreciate his humor.

Does anyone know if his wife is gone now too? I saw his beautiful grave stone, but could not read it.

Thanks,

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Wow that was some thread to go through. I loved Jack Benny. You really had to appreciate his humor.

Does anyone know if his wife is gone now too? I saw his beautiful grave stone, but could not read it.

Thanks,
    she passed in '83

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Livingstone

Katie Guest
    Thanks Scotty

Jaynrand Guest
    Loving these clips. Gisele MacKenzie and Jack Benny with their violins were hilarious!

ScottyMonger Guest
    I think the inscription is readable in this photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JackBenny.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	556  

Katie Guest
    Scotty I am PMing you if I can figure out how. Watch for it.

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    Apparently he did a recording of the Bach Double Violin Concerto with Isaac Stern. He wasn't as awful as he pretended to be.
    When I saw your comment, it brought to mind something I'd read years ago about Benny.

From what I understood, the fact that he could play the violin only adequately (not spectacularly) was something that bothered him for years, even though he was so widely acclaimed as a comedian and unquestionably considered a huge success in every way.

From his bio page (jackbenny.org):

Around 1952, Jack began to rediscover his love of the violin. He took his practicing seriously this time, working for hours in the bathroom adjoining his bedroom. He began giving benefit concerts with a combination of monologue and serious concert work, starting with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Jack had long made comedy of his mediocre violin playing, but he was now playing Mendelssohn and Rimsky-Korsakov as opposed to "The Glow Worm" and "Love in Bloom". Isaac Stern became his informal manager, connecting symphony orchestras with him. When Jack once wondered aloud at why a symphony orchestra would want to hire him over Isaac Stern, Stern replied, "We real important violinists can only get $5.50 a ticket--but somebody as rotten as you--for you, they can charge a hundred dollars a ticket!" Jack also had a running joke that at most concerts, the expensive seats are down front. In his, the cheap seats were down front, and got more expensive the further away you sat. "For $200, you don't have to come at all!"
    I thought it was cool that he was able to get back to something that he liked doing so relatively late in life. It sounds like he made a real success of it!

A couple of years ago I read a bio on George Burns. In it he wrote a great deal about Jack Benny. I remember him writing about how generous Jack was, and how they shared the same doctor. George showed up one day for his appointment, and there was Jack sitting in the front office with the staff, just joking around with girls and having some cake that Jack had brought. He didn't have an appointment, he just wanted to say "hi" to the girls.

Danny62 Guest
    On the morning after Jack Benny's death, his widow, Mary, received a single long-stemmed rose from the local florist. When another rose was delivered the next day, Mary called the florist and was told her of an order her husband had placed before he died: He had made provision in his will for the florist to supply "one perfect red rose daily for the rest of Mary's life."

Talking Jack on The Honeymooners!

He was in one of the lost episodes, as Ralph's landlord. I won't go into details, but he was HILARIOUS!

A must see if you are a Jack Benny fan!

Happy New Year, everyone!

-K.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    He was in one of the lost episodes, as Ralph's landlord. I won't go into details, but he was HILARIOUS!

A must see if you are a Jack Benny fan!

Happy New Year, everyone!

-K.

I have never heard that but would have loved to see it. Jack Benny's timing for comedy was great!!!

I think I saw him last on an episode of "The Flip Wilson Show" on TVLAND last year!!

He looked really sick, kind of sad!!!

Oh Happy New Year also!!

NOVSTORM Guest
    OKOK I read that someone said that JB show was racist.You said this: "[SIZE=2]that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid. poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy...ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny."[/SIZE][/
    Now that bneing said he didn't zactly say JB was A racist. Let us all calm down and get back to JACK.
    I don't agree that the show was racist , I thought it was wonderful and Rochester got his licks in left and right.

SueWahoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    OKOK I read that someone said that JB show was racist.You said this: "[SIZE=2]that show was the most racist thing I remember seeing as a kid. poor Rochester talking like a total whipping boy...ugh. i'm sorry, I don't see how THAT was funny."[/SIZE][/
    Now that bneing said he didn't zactly say JB was A racist. Let us all calm down and get back to JACK. I don't agree that the show was racist , I thought it was wonderful and Rochester got his licks in left and right.
    Be careful that you don't become the one restarting a long dead disagreement. You're referencing a post that's almost 2 months old and any flamage has long since died down.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post
    When I saw your comment, it brought to mind something I'd read years ago about Benny.

From what I understood, the fact that he could play the violin only adequately (not spectacularly) was something that bothered him for years, even though he was so widely acclaimed as a comedian and unquestionably considered a huge success in every way.

From his bio page (jackbenny.org):

I thought it was cool that he was able to get back to something that he liked doing so relatively late in life. It sounds like he made a real success of it!

Harpo Marx used to practice his harp in the bathroom. He said in his autobiography that the first two things he did in the morning was practice the harp and go to the john. This way he could do both at the same time and save a lot of steps.

Has anyone ever read Jack Benny's biography? I'm curious about it.

They now have the Jack Benny program available on ITunes as a free podcast- and they released two series of his Christmas programs- they're $4.95 per series. Whats really funny is that the reviews of the Christmas programs have more people bitching about the cigarrette commercials and how terrible they are. I think they're hilarious.

Danny62 Guest
    Harpo Marx used to practice his harp in the bathroom. He said in his autobiography that the first two things he did in the morning was practice the harp and go to the john. This way he could do both at the same time and save a lot of steps.

Has anyone ever read Jack Benny's biography? I'm curious about it.

They now have the Jack Benny program available on ITunes as a free podcast- and they released two series of his Christmas programs- they're $4.95 per series. Whats really funny is that the reviews of the Christmas programs have more people bitching about the cigarrette commercials and how terrible they are. I think they're hilarious.
    Oh I love the old Cigarrette commercials!! I have a slew of OTR and I hate shows that have the commercials edited out!!

I remember ole Arthur Godfey saying "Smoke em, two, three packs a day!"

And and he died from doing that!!!

Groucho and Jack Benny

damn, old shit but funny shit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wNK1Jt4JLg

Thanks for that, very funny.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

imogene schlogenwockle Guest
    I have never read an unkind word about Jack Benny. I read a touching book about him written by George Burns. This must be why his epitaph reads, He was a Gentle Man.

Cathy J. Guest
    This is so stupid !! People bitching about old cigarette ads !! Are they concerned kids will listen and take up smoking? Kids today
    smoke Marlboro Lights & Smooth and Camel Lights ( or those flavored Camels ) neither of which were around when such ads could advertise on TV.

Plus most of those old brands like Chesterfield and Phillip Morris and even Camel non-filters, they are hard to find nowadays.

nodano Guest

Ah Mr. Benny!!!

I love Jack Benny. I got my XM Radio just so I could get the old time radio classics channel (and to listen to CNN in my car....I'm a news junkie).

You had to use your imagination on those old radio shows. A lost art, to be sure. Jack Benny and the "vault" gags are a perfect example. Imagine a moat and all that other stuff he had to go through to get to the vault. The more stuff there was, the funnier it got.

I loved the show called (I think) "On the golf course". Danny Kaye, George Burns, Groucho Marx and Jack Benny altogether on one show. I was laughing so hard I had to pull off the road.

Amy

P.S. An unfinished autobiography that wound up being finished by his daughter Joan was originally to be entitled "I Always Had Shoes". Your guess is as good as mine as to why.
    Last edited by nodano; 04-08-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something