Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Reeve

candleinthewind Guest

Christopher Reeve

We all loved him. So sad about his wife dying of cancer not too long after. Does anyone know who the boys are being raised by? I'm not sure how old they would be now.

Snoopy Guest
    I'm not sure either..but I agree with you I don't think I respected any celebrity more than Christopher Reeve!

I think I remember hearing on the news very shortly before Dana passed away that their son they had together would be taken care of by very close friends of the family.
    Very sad indeed; they both seemed like very kind people.
    ??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.? - Michael Jackson

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Chris Reeves was a class act all the way. You never hear any scandal or dirt on him, have you noticed? Pretty incredible that he chose to go public with his disabilities and fight for the cause.

This is very cliche on my part, but he was indeed a Superman!

ginny9577 Guest
    i think his two older children have custody of their younger brother

Layla331 Guest
    I think i heard that the two older kids took custody as well..that whole thing was so dam tragic ..that poor lil boy

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    A Superman indeed. Fine fellow.

But "Somewhere In Time" is the flick for me.

I always liked how he never gave up after his accident. He always remained 'positive' (at least publicly). Truly inspirational.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Bake Guest
    I remember seeing Dana on a show before she died and she flat out stated that her son was going to live with one of his closest friends family.

epicentre Guest
    Slightly off the subject (sorry) but has anyone seen the Donner cut of Superman II? It reinstates Brando's footage back in the film. After vanquishing his powers, Superman has to sacrifice the last remaining crystal in the Fortress of Solitude and absorb (but destroy) the essence of his father to become Superman again (hence a much deeper meaning to the phrase "the son becomes the father, the father becomes the son"). Far better than the original version.

erin Guest
    i have seen it. i love those movies. i can't watch superman returns. brandon routh it so good it makes me cry, especially with those classic lines.

epicentre Guest
    I'm a dad and my young son loves Superman, so the end of Superman Returns really touched a chord.

Quick thought about Christopher Reeve again. Wished he'd have agreed to be in Supergirl as originally planned (which I still think got a bad press). Perhaps that would've led to a better box office success, Supergirl getting its own sequels and the turkey that was Superman IV would not have been made. I think that soured the taste of how great the earlier films were.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I was in Epcot (Disneyworld) a number of years ago and I saw a group of people coming along the walkway surrounding a wheelchair/bed thing that had all sorts of tubes and wires and hoses on it and I realized it was Chris Reeve.
    It was very surprising and a bit disconcerting to see because all there really was in this wheelchair/bed hybrid thing was a head. That's all that really was visible and it just seemed like that's all that was left of him.
    It was disheartening to witness but I have to give him credit for going out and trying to participate in life. He obviously wanted to be a part of a family adventure. He was a very strong man to persevere through that adversity.

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    Question: has anyone ever seen or does there exist a picture of Christopher Reeve's falling over the horse at the show in Virginia? I mean, with all those people there and the fact that it was a celebrity, there must be video or even a still news photo of the fall. Anyone have a link? Can't find it on google.

Reecy Guest

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    We all loved him. So sad about his wife dying of cancer not too long after. Does anyone know who the boys are being raised by? I'm not sure how old they would be now.
    My heart is still aching over the fact that Dana Reeve died of cancer after her beloved husband passed away. This has got to be one of the saddest moments in entertainment history. Dana stood by her beloved husband only to die. Here I thought she would be with her son for a long, long time and she just expired. Sad.

expo67 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentino009 View Post
    This is very cliche on my part, but he was indeed a Superman!

You are right there will never be another superman as he portrayed him

deathybrad Guest
    Am I the only person who was indifferent to the whole ordeal? I have a lot of respect for how hard he worked with the cause and his optimism toward his recovery. Too bad that republicans have basically painted over all of his hard work.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    When both were at Juliard, Robin Williams was Reeve's roommate. Their friendship lasted a lifetime. Robin visited them often and visited Dana often after Chrisopher passed. More than moral support, Robin quietly helped the family too. Robin's not too bad in the Class Act category himself

And yes Brad, I happen to care. I happen to admire that Reeve fought immense odds to continue working, writing, directing -- work for which he won recognition .. and all that is *aside* what he did for being a proponent of research. I hope if you were in such a tragic situation, you'd be blessed with people who care, rather than the sort to make cold statements like the one above.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger View Post
    Question: has anyone ever seen or does there exist a picture of Christopher Reeve's falling over the horse at the show in Virginia? I mean, with all those people there and the fact that it was a celebrity, there must be video or even a still news photo of the fall. Anyone have a link? Can't find it on google.
    I seem to remember seeing the fall on the news at the time it happened. I don't know if it's on the Internet somewhere.

I saw a report on the news last night that his oldest son is putting together a documentary on his Fathers struggle to regain the use of his limbs and his fight for research.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

different kind of girl Guest
    I've seen the fall too, back when it happened it aired a lot. I will look too to see if I can find it.

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    Am I wrong or are there people actually turning the Christopher Reeve thread into a Republican versus Democrat debate? This place is getting out of control.

While I admire what Christopher Reeve did after he was paralyzed, I do sort of find it disingenous when celebrities become acivitists for X disease or injury only after they get it themselves. Although, that being said, there are lots who get involved with stuff they don't actually suffer from. Nonetheless, just something that annoys me.

Cemetry Gates Guest
    He was in The Remains of the Day, one of my favorite movies.

knibo Guest

Red face The Reeves Son

Being a keeper of a great deal of useless knowledge....

The son is being raised by Robin Williams. There was a very brief announcement shortly after the death of Mrs. Reeves. It was handled quietly, and with respect to the surviving parties.

donetodeath Guest
    i get where your coming from UNCLE MILTE'S HUGE WANGER!
    although we don't really know what causes he was associted with during his life,he may not have just become an advocate for the cause after his accident.All my love hugs and kisses go to you and all,i am just trying to put out there a different perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    Am I the only person who was indifferent to the whole ordeal? I have a lot of respect for how hard he worked with the cause and his optimism toward his recovery. Too bad that republicans have basically painted over all of his hard work.
    I think the Republicans are at odds over the whole stem cell thing. Nancy Reagan is very much for it to help come up with treatment for Alzheimer's. It's one of those hot button issues where there are just as many people on each side no matter what stance you take.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

mike Guest
    Christopher Reeve was a fighter,He truly was a Superman.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    It's not easy being a Superman...RIP C.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger View Post

While I admire what Christopher Reeve did after he was paralyzed, I do sort of find it disingenous when celebrities become acivitists for X disease or injury only after they get it themselves. Although, that being said, there are lots who get involved with stuff they don't actually suffer from. Nonetheless, just something that annoys me.
    I don't understand why that annoys you. How else do people become interested in a cause? It is difficult for people to have empathy for a cause that they don't have a personal perspective on, be it a family member, friend, or their self. While I understand how it can seem self-serving when a celebrity becomes an activist for something they personally suffer from, many celebrities don't become activists at all.

I'm sure that Christopher Reeve knew that any research and advances being done wouldn't help him but rather help people in the future. What better example for people to see for spinal cord injuries is there than the man who played Superman? He made it personal for other people to care.

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    I think the Republicans are at odds over the whole stem cell thing. Nancy Reagan is very much for it to help come up with treatment for Alzheimer's. It's one of those hot button issues where there are just as many people on each side no matter what stance you take.
    What happened to Ron Reagan? The best of the Reagan's. He was really out there, all over the news, seemed like a really positive moment for the movement.

Analyst_Rob Guest
    DeathTrap is a great Christopher Reeve movie also…..
    Scared the crap-out of me in the theater…. Just when you thought the plot-line had run out… whoosh….. in the dark stormy night… the wind blows open the door with another story twist..…
    I think Diane Cannon was in it also…

The accident occurred because the 'bill' of a riding helmet is steel too…. His horse hesitated at a rail jump and as Reeve flipped off over the head of the animal (and the jump too, I think) his helmet bill became wedged in the fence rail (or the ground) and his whole body (with the full forward momentum of the previously running horse) pivoted around that point…. As the helmet was strapped on… he damaged his neck and ultimately his spinal cord…. (This is all from recall so some points maybe wrong)

Yes… even more so today… he will always be Superman….
    Last edited by Analyst_Rob; 11-09-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: I like Pink, Lois...

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst_Rob View Post
    DeathTrap is a great Christopher Reeve movie also?..
    Scared the crap-out of me in the theater?. Just when you thought the plot-line had run out? whoosh?.. in the dark stormy night? the wind blows open the door with another story twist..?
    I think Diane Cannon was in it also?

The accident occurred because the 'bill' of a riding helmet is steel too?. His horse hesitated at a rail jump and as Reeve flipped off over the head of the animal (and the jump too, I think) his helmet bill became wedged in the fence rail (or the ground) and his whole body (with the full forward momentum of the previously running horse) pivoted around that point?. As the helmet was strapped on? he damaged his neck and ultimately his spinal cord?. (This is all from recall so some points maybe wrong)

Yes? even more so today? he will always be Superman?.
    Rob, I'm glad that you brought up DeathTrap....one of my favorite movies and plays. I own the DVD, watch it often....Christopher also directed a touching film after his accident, "In the Gloaming"....it's not a feel good movie...none that have a theme with AIDS or any other terminal illness really can uplift the audience. Their son, Will, portrayed the central character as a child. Dana wrote a song for it, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    What happened to Ron Reagan? The best of the Reagan's. He was really out there, all over the news, seemed like a really positive moment for the movement.
    Very good question. it does seem like he fell off the face of the earth.

knibo Guest
    Mostly, correct, the only thing to add is that one of the primary lessons for riding is to let go of the reigns should there be a fall of some kind. When Reeve was on Larry King, he admitted that he didn't let go. That isn't to say that even if he did, things would have been totally different, but it is definitely the road not taken kind of thing.

knibo Guest
    Last I heard from him was on animal planet, MC'ing one of the dog shows.

GrinReaper Guest
    I don't understand how Christopher Reeve could have died. It was from an infection from a bed sore, wasn't it?
    Now how could he have gotten bed sores? Wasn't he getting 24/7/365 care from someone? Can anyone explain this?

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    A Superman indeed. Fine fellow.

OH, I love that movie with Jane Seymour....my favorite of his...

Three weeks ago a friend from work had this sort of accident happen to one of his closest friends. They were working on his snowmobile and drinking, smoking, etc. when this friend (Dan) decided he was going to take a ride on it (on the gravel). He went tearing away and apparently the snowmobile hit some pavement or something and he was thrown off. He went flying off and came to stop about 50 feet away. He was in bad shape, he had severed his spine. My co-worker though he was dead, and his heart did stop twice on the way to the hospital. He is only 30 years old.

Dan has some feeling in his chest and arms, but none in his hands, and obviously below the waist he feels nothing and never will again. The doctors put him in a medically-induced coma two weeks ago because he got an infection which went into his kidneys, which started failing and it also went into his heart. They are giving him one more week and then they are going to ask his family to make the decision about pulling the plug. I might have got some of the story wrong, but my co-worker is having a really hard time with this and doesn't say too much about it, and no-one wants to ask too many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I don't understand how Christopher Reeve could have died. It was from an infection from a bed sore, wasn't it?
    Now how could he have gotten bed sores? Wasn't he getting 24/7/365 care from someone? Can anyone explain this?
    I agree, it seems they could have done something to stop it. But bed sores are very common, especially among invalids. They have to constantly be turned to prevent the bed sores from forming. In Reeve's case, it may have been that he could only be moved into just one or two different positions due to his breathing apparatus and neck injury. Now they have special mattresses that blow air through tiny holes (almost like an airhocky table, but much more soft) in order to prevent bed sores.

Even still many people succumb to complications of bed sores. They eventually become infected and the person becomes septic, causing the organs to shut down. For someone who is immobile and confinded to bed, unfortunately it is almost inevitable that they will die of bed sores if pneumonia and/or other common convalescent hospital ailments don't get them first.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Three weeks ago a friend from work had this sort of accident happen to one of his closest friends. They were working on his snowmobile and drinking, smoking, etc. when this friend (Dan) decided he was going to take a ride on it (on the gravel). He went tearing away and apparently the snowmobile hit some pavement or something and he was thrown off. He went flying off and came to stop about 50 feet away. He was in bad shape, he had severed his spine. My co-worker though he was dead, and his heart did stop twice on the way to the hospital. He is only 30 years old.
    Drinking, driving a snowmobile on gravel!!?
    Someone contact the Darwin awards on this idiot.
    I just can't muster up sympathy for nutjobs like this who are being.. well.. nutjobs!

Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    Drinking, driving a snowmobile on gravel!!?
    Someone contact the Darwin awards on this idiot.
    I just can't muster up sympathy for nutjobs like this who are being.. well.. nutjobs!
    Oh I totally agree. It's the other people who are left alone who I feel sympathy for. His poor mother has still not left his bedside, and my friend is having a really hard time dealing with it.

He is still in his coma, he has not been taken off life support as far as I know.

Catherine of Siena Guest
    Reeve was a well-known - though carefully 'bearded' - homosexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    My heart is still aching over the fact that Dana Reeve died of cancer after her beloved husband passed away. This has got to be one of the saddest moments in entertainment history. Dana stood by her beloved husband only to die. Here I thought she would be with her son for a long, long time and she just expired. Sad.
    I never knew she passed after him from cancer. Everyone says how wonderful Chris was (and he was) but she stuck by him till the end......... now THAT is a class act.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

KristinEileen Guest
    I don't know how many people remember it but he was in the remake of Village of the Damned...

magblax Guest
    http://www.amazon.com/Christopher-Re.../dp/B000VS6LYA
    "Hope in Motion" is a new movie that was released this month about Christopher Reeve. His son Matthew was involved in the production. In the movie it shows footage of the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I never knew she passed after him from cancer. Everyone says how wonderful Chris was (and he was) but she stuck by him till the end......... now THAT is a class act.
    I've recently wondered if she had care-giver's syndrome, ie wrapped up in taking care of him that she didn't take as good of care of herself if the circumstances were different. Specifically, did she get used to feeling run-down and tired so when she contracted lung cancer, she didn't realize she might be sick herself?

My Mom died of Alzheimer's after a 10 year, indescribably horrible decline. By the time she finally passed away, I thought that both me and my Dad would go shortly thereafter. My dad bounced back, but I never have, dealing with Fibromyalgia and a handful of other flukey medical problems.

It's a tough thing to take care of a sick family member -- of course you're not going to stop so you don't get sick yourself. But in an ideal situation (do they ever actually exist???), it would be great if there were a caregiver for the caregiver.

Overtaxed Guest
    After his accident, Christopher Reeve became such a crusader for spinal injury research, that I would have thought that he'd have his body donated to science for research, rather than being cremated (per Find-A-Grave). Am I the only one with this train of thought?

Nowereman Guest
    I'll leave my body to Science Fiction - Steve Wright

Reecy Guest
    They need to make a movie of the Christopher and Dana Reeve story. People need to feel what they went through. Even though we've seen him on TV and heard about his story I would like to see a movie. I want them to put Dana's story as well. They deserve to be remembered. My kids need to see it.

One thing I would tell some of my family members... When they would look all depressed and feeling sorry for themselves I would remind them at least you're walking! Look at Christopher Reeves.... Teddy Pendergrast and others who are wheelchair bound. Or Stevie Wonder who's blind. I would remind them that they could be far worse off.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry in Connecticut View Post
    That's my favorite one too. I remember when I saw that one at the movie theaters when it came out - in 1982 (I'm dating myself here!), I didn't like the ending. I thought he should have been able to stay with her.