Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aileen Wuornos

Aileen Wuornos

I know she's not an actress, but Charlize did a great job portraying her in Monster. Any thoughts on Lee? I think she just needed someone to really love her.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Have you watched the documentary on her? Absolutely fascinating.

And yes, Charlize did an amazing job portraying her in the film, I saw the documentary first and was kind of creeped out by the way Charlize locked down her mannerisms and the sound of her voice.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I've watched both movies. I rarely can muster compassion for serial killers, but I think Lee had a lot of mental problems and was just a very sad, neglected person who had no resources to get help. I don't think you become a truck stop hooker if you have a lot of options in life.

If you want a very complete and detailed look at her life, read the book out about her called "Lethal Intent". I could barely put it down. It's almost a step-by-step of her entire life, and even goes into detail about her relationship with that (sorry!) butt-ugly girlfriend of hers that was with her on the run. It's a thick paperback with A LOT to read in it!

I have a slight fascination with Aileen and pity for her because of the messed up life she led - mostly based on her childhood experiences.

I two have both the documentaries out on her - both real sad, since you see all the people who used her to get money out of her "fame".

And I feel Charlize EARNED that Oscar for her portrayal!

star82 Guest
    Wuornos once robbed a liquor store in her bikini. Classy broad.

I read that book, too Aries. I agree, she was really messed up as a kid. Poor thing.

Laura1020 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    And I feel Charlize EARNED that Oscar for her portrayal!
    Not a big fan of Charlize, but you are damn right!

magblax Guest

Eileen Wuornos

Fairly controversial. Did she deserve the death penalty? Serial Killer...or victim?

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post

Fairly controversial. Did she deserve the death penalty? Serial Killer...or victim?
    I'm thinking it was a deserved sentence.
    Men who go to prostitutes are naturally kind of creepy but not all of them are horrible women abusers.
    From what I understand she murdered some fairly "decent" (for lack of a better term) men (as well as horrible individuals).

Serial Killer.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Maybe one led to the other, I don't know. But she took lives and you have to pay for that.

did she die?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Missa310 View Post
    did she die?
    Yeah, you could say that. 2002?
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 11-03-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post

HOLY CRAP!! I knew that too. DUH...blonde moment! LOL sorry

Her last meal was a cup of coffee, and her last words were about something about Aliens and outer space.

I think she should have had life in a mental institute - she was sick in the head crazy and they just didn't see that. She sure didn't have to wait a long time to get her death sentence either!

There's a couple of good Documentaries out on her done by Nick Broomfield (the guy who did "Kurt & Courtney").

It was pretty sad about what happened to her and all those people who used her. While I don't agree with what she did, I've always been fascinated with her.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post

see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eileen_Wuornos

knothere Guest
    victum turned serial killer

Mamma Guest
    I've seen the Aileen: Life and Death of a Seriel Killker documentary. I'm not convinced Aileen was in her right mind at all. I'm sure she was born normal enough, but go through the nightmares she did by the time she was a teen? If anyone can turn out normal after going through what Aileen did, they are a better person than I could ever hope to be.

I would've liked to have seen her serve out a life sentence in an institution. But if the death penalty is what she wanted, she got it. But I also would have liked to have seen all the people who hurt Aileen go down right along with her.

That documentary is very disturbing. Check it out of you have the chance. The interviews are done by the same Englishman who interviewed Princess Diana, and Michael Jackson at the height of their controversy. Ailenns story is probably the one and only time I wish a sentence could have been commuted.

~Mamma

tensecondstolove Guest
    I've read and seen nearly everything on the case. It's very sad. She had an awful, awful life. Not that that's an excuse...but seriously anyone who picks up a hitchhiking prostitute on the highways in Central Florida is not the brightest bulb in the bunch. Those guys were idiots....(please don't yell at me for saying that lol)

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tensecondstolove View Post
    I've read and seen nearly everything on the case. It's very sad. She had an awful, awful life. Not that that's an excuse...but seriously anyone who picks up a hitchhiking prostitute on the highways in Central Florida is not the brightest bulb in the bunch. Those guys were idiots....(please don't yell at me for saying that lol)
    Took the words right out of my mouth.....

poppie Guest
    Boy, this is such a hard thing to decide. Her life, from a small child on, was bad. No one to truely even care for her personel needs, plus no one who gave her any genuine affection. She was a cold blooded killer and I think she had plenty of mental problems. Her g/f turned on her and got off scott free. Like Andrea Yates husband, I think the g/f should have been punished for her part in the murders.

stacebabe Guest
    I really enjoyed Nick's documentaries on her. He, in no way, justified what she did, but it did give me some empathy for her because people took advantage left and right.

Watching Tyra Moore on the stand totally gave me the creeps. Not because she's creepy in general, what with the 1 tooth and all, but because of how cold she was.

If I had to testify against my husband to save my own ass, so be it, but if I really loved him, I'd be bawling my eyes out. It would hurt to know I was hurting someone I loved, regardless of what the've done.

I think she was a mentally disturbed woman, who, due to her neglect as a child at the abandonment of her mother, the young death of her brother, and the lack of love from her grandparents (not to mention the birth of a child and the forced adoption of said child when she was 14) led to an extreme sociopathic personality.

Her last meal was a cup of coffee, and her last words were about something about Aliens and outer space.

I think she should have had life in a mental institute - she was sick in the head crazy and they just didn't see that. She sure didn't have to wait a long time to get her death sentence either!

There's a couple of good Documentaries out on her done by Nick Broomfield (the guy who did "Kurt & Courtney").

It was pretty sad about what happened to her and all those people who used her. While I don't agree with what she did, I've always been fascinated with her.

Kathyf Guest
    I think her life and things that happened to her turned her into a killer. I don't really think she planned out killing I think it just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    Watching Tyra Moore on the stand totally gave me the creeps. Not because she's creepy in general, what with the 1 tooth and all, but because of how cold she was
    Yeah, Tyra is one butt-ugly hag. I had to laugh when they used Christine Ricci in "Monster" for her role. "Prettied" her up!

I saw Tyra's footage on the witness stand. I have the feeling she was a part of a few of those slayings in some way, and saved her own ass by turning on Lee like that.

stacebabe Guest
    I actually don't mind so much that she turned on her to save her own ass (hell, I love my husband, but if he murdered a bunch of people, I'd do what I could to save my own ass if I was not at involved), but to do it with such coldness? How can you love someone and not feel some sort of emotion while you're on the stand facing them, regardless of what they've done?

Christina Ricci was a totally poor choice for Tyra Moore. I liked how she played the part, but even when she was dressed gross, Ricci was way too pretty to play Tyra!

Yeah, Tyra is one butt-ugly hag. I had to laugh when they used Christine Ricci in "Monster" for her role. "Prettied" her up!

I saw Tyra's footage on the witness stand. I have the feeling she was a part of a few of those slayings in some way, and saved her own ass by turning on Lee like that.

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post

Both.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Both.

both

djdeath-hag Guest
    My .02 for what it's worth. She was indeed a serial killer. I personally don't support the death penalty for anyone....in my way of thinking, life in prison is a fate worse than death.

On a side note, many serial killers are never convicted of, or admit to ALL of their crimes. I have a friend whose lover was one of her "unclaimed" victims. His murder was never officially charged to Wournos....but he was shot to death in his office, in Land O' Lakes (just north of Tampa) his car was stolen....and "ironically" discovered outside the bar in Daytona where she was arrested. His biological family didn't wish to pursue the case....as they were embarrassed enough by the fact that he was gay. All these years later, the surviving partner has never truly gotten over his loss.

Mamma Guest
    Yeah, Tyra is one butt-ugly hag.
    This needed to be said. BAHAHAHAHAHA! Even with the whole chain on the wallet tomboy look Ricci had going on, she could easily tap dance around Tyra (whatever her name is). That woman is UGLY through and through.

His biological family didn't wish to pursue the case....as they were embarrassed enough by the fact that he was gay.
    That's a damn shame .

I think she was a serial killer and deserved to be punished. I also can't help but to feel so sorry for this woman. What a life she had. If anyone ever needed a hug, it was her. Sad, sad situation all around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

tensecondstolove Guest
    While I think it was totally effed up the way Tyria was so cold on the stand, I honestly don't think she had anything to do with the murders. From everything I've read, I think that at that point she was so pissed at Aileen for dragging her into that mess that she was more concerned with clearing her own name and was less emotional for Aileen because she was ready and relieved to put the whole thing behind her.

magblax Guest

I agree with you. I also thought it was interesting that she chose Natalie Merchant's song Carnival as her funeral song.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I live right around where she worked and where they filmed a lot of the movie. My favorite is, you can see from a window where I work the parking garage in the movie where the cop takes her to force her to do oral sex. I always point that out to people!
    It looks real and authentic to me because I know these locations. The Last Resort bar is not too far, but it looks a little rough to me to go in.

There is a guy I know in Deland (just South of Daytona) whose friend is a local celebrity--he gave Aileen a ride and lived to tell the tale. When he walks into a public place, all is silent and everyone stares. He's like 80, maybe she just needed a ride that day or took pity on him.

Sock Puppet Guest
    I think she was both. It would be foolish to say that Aileen Wuornos was never a victim in her life.

However, there's reason to believe that some of the men who picked her up and were murdered by her were merely trying to give her a ride, not hire her services. One was a child abuse investigator for the State of Florida. I can't prove he didn't try to rape Aileen, but he sure makes an unlikely suspect. I'd take a DHS worker's word over a truck-stop hooker's word pretty much any day. I don't believe that all seven men tried to rape her. I believe that Mallory (the first victim) raped her, and she snapped.

After that she killed them for their valuables, which she pawned, and their cars, which she drove, in order to keep her lover Tyra happy. She also killed them out of sheer meanness and spite. She could have just robbed them.

I think Tyra did love her, at first, but over time she couldn't keep pretending that Aileen wasn't killing people and she became afraid. I agree that by the time Tyra reached the witness stand, she just wanted it to be over and wished she'd never met Aileen Wuornos. Tyra always struck me as a reluctant participant, but I think she helped Aileen cover up more than either of them ever admitted. Part of the reason that Tyra is free is that, in spite of her betrayal, Aileen wanted Tyra to remain free and refused to implicate her.

QueenB Guest
    Weird isnt it that if she was in the UK she would have been put in a mental institution like Broodmoor for the rest of her days but in the US shes killed?

Scary though there was a documentary on tv the other night here in the UK about the Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe who was convicted of killing 13 women though there is speculation he killed more. Anyhew on this documentary it said that Sutcliffe could be released by the parole board if its show hes not a danger to the public anymore. Now is it me or is that kinda crazy??

tensecondstolove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    I live right around where she worked and where they filmed a lot of the movie. My favorite is, you can see from a window where I work the parking garage in the movie where the cop takes her to force her to do oral sex. I always point that out to people!
    It looks real and authentic to me because I know these locations. The Last Resort bar is not too far, but it looks a little rough to me to go in.

There is a guy I know in Deland (just South of Daytona) whose friend is a local celebrity--he gave Aileen a ride and lived to tell the tale. When he walks into a public place, all is silent and everyone stares. He's like 80, maybe she just needed a ride that day or took pity on him.
    I thought you lived at OJ's house? LOL jk

Anyways, I grew up spending lots of time in that area because my grandparents lived around there. All I can say is---sorry you live there. LOL I mean if you like it-that's cool. But Central Florida------eek.

Sock Puppet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenB View Post
    Weird isnt it that if she was in the UK she would have been put in a mental institution like Broodmoor for the rest of her days but in the US shes killed?

Scary though there was a documentary on tv the other night here in the UK about the Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe who was convicted of killing 13 women though there is speculation he killed more. Anyhew on this documentary it said that Sutcliffe could be released by the parole board if its show hes not a danger to the public anymore. Now is it me or is that kinda crazy??
    To be fair, Aileen had a lot to do with getting her own death penalty enforced. If she had been willing to give up Tyra's part in the killings, not given the confession, and appealed her verdicts it's likely she'd still be alive and in prison.

Establishing insanity is a separate legal proceeding, and one Aileen wasn't interested in pursuing. It's unlikely that she would have won if she had. Legally, to use insanity for a defense, one must prove that they are so profoundly insane that they were unable to tell the difference between right and wrong. For example, Andrea Yates thought that she was actually saving her children from demonic possession, so she was too insane to realize that drowning them was wrong. Another example might be if a severely retarded person smothered someone. They might not have known that putting a pillow over someone's face will lead to their death due to their profound retardation.

In short, almost no one is legally insane in the US.

Sock Puppet Guest
    To further highlight this point, Jeffrey Dahmer was not considered insane by the law. He was deemed sane, tried, and convicted, because he knew what he was doing was wrong. The state where he committed his crimes, Wisconsin, doesn't have the death penalty, so that's why he got life in prison instead. Had he been insane, he would have been sent to a hospital for the criminally insane rather than a prison for essentially the same amount of time.

xenaswolf Guest
    Just watched the documentary on her on AE on demand. One thing the jury foreman said kinda sums it up....She made it impossible to feel sorry for her.

I do think her lover had more to do with it than was claimed. She will get hers eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I do think her lover had more to do with it than was claimed. She will get hers eventually.
    I feel the same way. Karma is a bitch!

sock, you're always so well-informed. it's great.

l'd like to see the documentary. l saw 'monster' and l found the rape scene so horrific. l can't say that l wouldn't snap.

donetodeath Guest
    i saw the movie MONSTER and there was a doco straight after it by the same name all about her.She eventually pleaded with the judge to waver all her rights to appeals and execute her,so they did!I do think she was a victim early in life,i don't think she knew her father and her mother sent her to live with her parents,then she abused by her grandfather for years.she learnt early on to have sex with local boys to get smokes and a few dollars.she fell pregnant at 14 and was made to give it up for adoption.then she ran away and lived on the streets.A very sad start to life indeed!

SuckMyKiss Guest
    The woman was clearly mentally disturbed. How you can justify killing a mentally disturbed person is beyond me. She even asked for herself to be killed!!! Erm, hello? No need to buy a clue that she's crazy, she's just thrown one in your face.

bloody depressing.

donetodeath Guest
    may i ask who you are talking to suck my kiss?

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Erm, people on the forum in general? It wasn't directed at anyone inparticular.

donetodeath Guest
    being mentally ill does'nt mean she is not responsible for her actions,only when someone is found to be legally insane they end up in the psyco ward.There is little doubt she was not the full quid,but she always new exactly what she was doing.She new she would die in jail and wanted it over and done with.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by donetodeath View Post
    being mentally ill does'nt mean she is not responsible for her actions,only when someone is found to be legally insane they end up in the psyco ward.There is little doubt she was not the full quid,but she always new exactly what she was doing.She new she would die in jail and wanted it over and done with.

I never said it makes her any less responsible. I don't agree with the death penalty altogether. Why kill people who kill people to tell them that killing people is wrong?? She SHOULD have died in jail. But not in the way she did. Punishment through life is a greater punishment that through death.

donetodeath Guest
    luckily majority of people that go around killing people are not smart enough to do what they do in a state that does not carry the death penalty.Not having that sort of punishment basically says (it's ok for you to go around killing people,but not for the state to do the same to you)I do believe in an eye for an eye!It has served well in history,they only started to change the law when innocent people were wrongly put to death.

RoRo Guest
    I believe in the death penalty and I do think this woman was mentally disturbed.
    However I grew up being abused physically, mentally, verbally and yes sexually as well. I have never felt the need to hurt or kill anyone, I think the people who use this as an excuse are full of shit. There comes an age when you know right from wrong and you chose to act on it. I am 42 and still suffer after-effects from the abuse, but I chose to lead a good life and not break the law. We all have free will and yes menatlly disturbed people are not normal but I think in her case she knew what she was doing was wrong
    Last edited by RoRo; 05-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.