Thread: I have ask: Why be afraid to fly?

onehunglow Guest

I have ask: Why be afraid to fly?

Out of at least 300 flights I've only had one bad in air experience. The chance of being killed in a real Jet are far less than you have of dying from staph. You have a 1,000,000 times better chance of skin cancer killing you from the sun. When I get on a plane it is no different than getting in my truck. I know I have better chance driving to the airport of being killed in my truck. I love being 39,000 feet up. Yeah I know I failed my flying lessons, but I had a piss pore instructor.

atlantis Guest
    I have to agree. Flying is getting easier for me, though I have flown nowhere near 300 flights (and I have never taken lessons...just been on commercial flights). When I do fly, I tell myself there are thousands of flights that take-off and land every day...why should mine be any different? And the xanax doesn't hurt, either...

But if I am unfortunate enough to be on a big ole puddle jumper (turbo prop), my confidence diminishes minute by minute til we get there. Luckily, I almost never take those. I was on one the first weekend in October traveling to and from Ithaca, NY...it was hideous. Why even bother with the props? They are bad news...ask JFK, Jr and John Denver and countless other celebs...although I don't even think Denver's plane was even a prop...wasn't it one of those "kit" planes?? WTF???????? I would NEVER......

RoRo Guest
    But I'm not afraid of flying..I'm afraid of crashing !!! Bwa ha ha ha ha
    Seriously, I don't want to be plummeting to earth and know I'm gonna go to pieces on impact..I'd rather have a less messy death.
    I am also extremely claustrophobic....no way I want to be closed in a metal tube and stuck in the air, nope not for me.

tensecondstolove Guest
    Meh, I'm not really afraid of flying...although I do get nervous during strong turbulence. But I more just hate the whole process of airports, flying, crowds, etc. blah

SlippyInvader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    But I'm not afraid of flying..I'm afraid of crashing !!! Bwa ha ha ha ha
    Seriously, I don't want to be plummeting to earth and know I'm gonna go to pieces on impact..I'd rather have a less messy death.
    I am also extremely claustrophobic....no way I want to be closed in a metal tube and stuck in the air, nope not for me.
    Same here! It's the thought of putting your life in someone else's hands and not being to get out whenever you want.

My mother was a pilot and used to put planes together, too. i would here all the horror stories she would bring home from the airport. Now when I fly I always think that the flight I'm on will be a "Movie of the Week", you know...like "The Story of Survival".
    All in all, I'm not afraid but I HATE turbulance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Onehung for me it's simple... if I crash in a car I have a good chance of walking away... if a plane I am in goes down... well, I may float away (as a spirit). I do fly but I can understand the fear... it's just unnatural to be that high and not holding a joint.

I personally don't care what the statistics are... when I am that high up and the plane fails, I won't feel any safer knowing I have more chance dying in a car.
    Last edited by Jason; 11-01-2007 at 05:49 AM.

ComputerGuy Guest
    I have flown quite a bit and even flown myself in a Cessna 172 when I was going for my license in Single Engine Land. Flown in C130's 141's C-5's.

Worst experience was in a Multi engine 8 passenger Army Aircraft flying over Turkey when we were struck by lighning. Lights flashing and alarms going off, very skilled pilots.

Ms. K Guest
    I don't like not being in control.

When I'm on a plane, I'm not flying it, I'm not in charge of getting to our destination, so I'm not in control. Which means, to me, that I have a better chance of crashing.

I know, statistically, I'm safer in the air than on the freeway. But, that's LOGIC. The phobia is not logical in the slightest.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    when I was a kid I lived in a town called River Grove, in Illinois here. back in '79, I believe, my grandma was gonna take my older brother and I to Disney world. a few weeks before we were supposed to leave there was a major plane crash at O'Hare Airport, not far from where we were living. the plane crashed on take off killing all on board as well as some people on the ground. it's still considered the worst aviation crash in Illinois history. when I got home from school that day you could SEE the smoke and hear the sirens blairing. that was enough for me. my mom said no way in HELL are my kids flying. then 9/11 happened and that was the clincher for me. I REFUSE to fly.

onehunglow Guest

Well every landing is a crash under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    when I was a kid I lived in a town called River Grove, in Illinois here. back in '79, I believe, my grandma was gonna take my older brother and I to Disney world. a few weeks before we were supposed to leave there was a major plane crash at O'Hare Airport, not far from where we were living. the plane crashed on take off killing all on board as well as some people on the ground. it's still considered the worst aviation crash in Illinois history. when I got home from school that day you could SEE the smoke and hear the sirens blairing. that was enough for me. my mom said no way in HELL are my kids flying. then 9/11 happened and that was the clincher for me. I REFUSE to fly.
    I've removed smoking bodies from a crash that killed 68 people. The next time I flew to LAX I though about it, but well, I just figured death is a part of life and I want to live while I am here.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I've removed smoking bodies from a crash that killed 68 people. The next time I flew to LAX I though about it, but well, I just figured death is a part of life and I want to live while I am here.
    you're a much braver man than myself.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    Onehung for me it's simple... if I crash in a car I have a good chance of walking away... if a plane I am in goes down... well, I may float away (as a spirit). I do fly but I can understand the fear... it's just unnatural to be that high and not holding a joint.

I personally don't care what the statistics are... when I am that high up and the plane fails, I won't feel any safer knowing I have more chance dying in a car.
    I was going go to into detail but that was a good point.

If the engine stalls in a car you have a good chance of not getting killed. If an engine stall in a plane...Well you are pretty much Fucked.

I feel helpless in a plane. if something goes wrong you really have no control over anything!

onehunglow Guest

How you do in the Military?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I was going go to into detail but that was a good point.

If the engine stalls in a car you have a good chance of not getting killed. If an engine stall in a plane...Well you are pretty much Fucked.

I feel helpless in a plane. if something goes wrong you really have no control over anything!
    Being in a helo and seeing sun come in was no fun. Took me a few seconds to understand they were bullet holes. Just another day at work.

attackatdawn Guest
    Not really afraid to fly, it is true there are fewer plane crashes than car accidents everyday. The news just make a big deal about it if alot of people are killed in a plane crash or if it is a famous person. I just wonder what the people in a plane are thinking as their plane is going down & 9/11 was just horrible, bad turbulance also freaks me out!

TNpuck Guest
    I'm not afraid of flying, I'm afraid of the matter in which I might land. Sure crashes are rare, but the thing is, if something goes wrong it's out of your hands, all you can do is sit and watch.

Danny's right. My car stalls, I can coast to the shoulder. A plane stalls and they're scooping me up in eight counties.

onehunglow Guest

Enjoy the flight before 2012

Buckle up
    Last edited by onehunglow; 11-20-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Twobeatlesleft Guest
    I realize that flying is safe, but not without accidents. If there was a zero percent chance of an accident, then people would feel safe up in the sky. Until then, people will be afraid. It's natural to feel uneasy at 30,000 feet above the ground.

I only fly every 5 years or so, so it really is not an issue. I just deal with it.

ComputerGuy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    Being in a helo and seeing sun come in was no fun. Took me a few seconds to understand they were bullet holes. Just another day at work.

Those UH-1s are a workhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Twobeatlesleft View Post
    I realize that flying is safe, but not without accidents. If there was a zero percent chance of an accident, then people would feel safe up in the sky. Until then, people will be afraid. It's natural to feel uneasy at 30,000 feet above the ground.

I only fly every 5 years or so, so it really is not an issue. I just deal with it.
    Yeah same here... I like to tell myself everything will be fine but I will always have that mini panic attack during take off - turbulence - and landing. The only time I probably never felt that was when I was too small to realize PLANES CAN CRASH!!!

onehunglow Guest

I'm off in a couple of weeks to Phoenix

Yeah same here... I like to tell myself everything will be fine but I will always have that mini panic attack during take off - turbulence - and landing. The only time I probably never felt that was when I was too small to realize PLANES CAN CRASH!!!
    Hell geting there is easy. Getting away from Sky Harbor alive! Priceless!

Gangland and hookers. Getting out of Iowa in NOV. Great. The best part is this trip is free. Going as a consultant so it is all their dime.

TNpuck Guest
    I'm going to Iowa in December...I'm driving.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    I'm going to Iowa in December...I'm driving.
    Yeah when we went to California in Sept the wife wanted to Fly!

We ended up driving!! Plus I wanted to stop in Las Vegas!!!

MorbidMolly Guest
    I don`t have a problem with the flying, it the frigging flight attendants that chap my ass.....what the hell happened to customer service....I fly at least 4 times a year to see my daughter in Jersey, and the crews are horrible......got one crew based out of St. Louis, and they were sweet as hell.....ahhh Miami, the land of milk and honey.....

Gardner32 Guest
    I love to fly! Prop planes, jets, bi planes! A little air turbulance always makes it fun! I hate the bathrooms though, and having to climb over people to use them. I prefer to sit on the aisle.

poppie Guest
    Molly - Miami is the worst airport in the world, especially if you are flying in from a foreign country. I hate to fly, but sometimes it is the only mode of transportation to your destination. So - that calls for a couple Crown/Coke before boarding to settle the nerves. A pilot once told me that when a plane goes down, the speed is such that passengers pass out before the plane hits the ground. I have no idea if that is true - I just know it sounds good.

RoRo Guest
    This reminds me of a joke Ron White tells of being on a small plane that's having trouble and may have to land before the destination, a guy asks him how far he thinks the plane will go and Ron White says oh as far as the crash site

bluebear71 Guest
    No one has ever fallen 40,000 feet out of a Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    there was that couple that drove off the grand canyon...

Death Hag Chris Guest

Thumbs up

RIGHT ON!!!! can I use that line when asked why I don't fly next?

Death Hag Chris Guest
    DAMN!!!! yuo have one for every occasion Jason.

bluebear71 Guest
    True. I don't think it was quite 40,000 feet, but I get your point.

bluebear71 Guest
    RIGHT ON!!!! can I use that line when asked why I don't fly next?
    Why not, I stole it from someone myself.

DAMN!!!! yuo have one for every occasion Jason.
    I hang around here too much, whatta ya want from me

True. I don't think it was quite 40,000 feet, but I get your point.
    Yeah I know... probably wasn't a ford either, but probably the closest thing you can get to flying in a car!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I hang around here too much, whatta ya want from me
    you and I both my good man.

Guest Guest
    I don't fly but maybe once every 5 yrs. If a vacation is coming up I hit map quest not expedia.com for tickets. I'm terrified of heights. My knees get shaky and I feel like like a virgin getting anal reamed it puckers up so much. If there ever was a DEATH HAG get together I would be the last one there. I'm always fashionably late.

Jersey Girl Guest
    I'm not afraid to fly... never was.

onehunglow Guest

nahh

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    I don't fly but maybe once every 5 yrs. If a vacation is coming up I hit map quest not expedia.com for tickets. I'm terrified of heights. My knees get shaky and I feel like like a virgin getting anal reamed it puckers up so much. If there ever was a DEATH HAG get together I would be the last one there. I'm always fashionably late.
    I still haven't filled out my taxes for 1977