Thread: Evelyn Ankers

Danny62 Guest

Evelyn Ankers

Appeared in the films "The Wolfman" (1941), "The Ghost of Frankenstein" (1942), "Son of Dracula" (1943) and "Bells of St. Mary's" (1937). She was married to actor Richard Denning.

Aug 17, 1918-Aug 29, 1985

Jaynrand Guest
    Evelyn played a couple of bad girl roles in the Inner Sanctum mysteries that are now on DVD. I like her especially in "Weird Woman."

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynrand View Post
    Evelyn played a couple of bad girl roles in the Inner Sanctum mysteries that are now on DVD. I like her especially in "Weird Woman."
    Was inner Sanctum on TV as well? I have a bunch of the radio shows.

I know her and Lon Cheney never got along during the filming of "the wolfman".

He always complained she was to heavy and had the studio design a special harness to attach her to when he had to pick her up!!

Jaynrand Guest
    LOL....Inner Sanctum started on radio, I think. Not sure if it went to TV.

Lots of people didn't get along with Junior it seems. Looking at that pic you posted, it seems Miss Evelyn was....well....solid, so it might have been a chore lugging her around all day. Nice work, if you can get it!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynrand View Post
    LOL....Inner Sanctum started on radio, I think. Not sure if it went to TV.

Lots of people didn't get along with Junior it seems. Looking at that pic you posted, it seems Miss Evelyn was....well....solid, so it might have been a chore lugging her around all day. Nice work, if you can get it!
    Do you know if he was drinking at time of the early Universal movies? That could explain his behavior!

Its to bad he had to resort to alcohol! I heard him and Lugosi didn't get along on the movie "The black Sleep". I guess Lon picked up Lugosi and held him in air at one point...why he did it I don't know!!

Jaynrand Guest
    I think Junior was a heavy drinker from a young age.

Alcohol will change your personality and so I am not surprised he
    didn't get along with alot of his fellow actors. He should have
    gotten help with his problems instead of taking them out on others.

Lovely lady... have never seen any of her films I think, but interesting story nevertheless

Alot more infor here;
    http://irishgothichorrorjournal.home...tml#anchor_192
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankers1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	12694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankers2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	12695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankers3.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	12696  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Guest Guest
    Ah Evelyn, one of my favourite old scream queens, could watch her all day! I love her films

Valerie Guest
    Loved her in Wolfman...plus she was born on my birthday!

More Cheese Please Guest
    Miss Ankers was beautiful and I loved her in the old horror flicks. She hardly looks like a burden to tote around... I'm sure Jr.'s love of the bottle made for unsteady jaunts whilst carrying anything let alone Evelyn.

Guest Guest
    Seems it happened a few times with his leading ladies. In a biography I once read, the author received a letter from the lovely Elyse Knox, who recounted that during 'The Mummy's Tomb', Chaney was carrying her and he stumbled, causing her to bang her head.

Guest Guest
    Here they are:

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Here they are:

Nothing showed up...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

More Cheese Please Guest
    Much Better Vlad! Thanks for the pics!

SweetWickedHellKatEvil Guest
    She played Vivian Leigh's younger's and rival in Gone with the Wind. Then Vivian Leigh took Mr. Kennedy away from Sue Ellen and married him to make money after the civil war.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Much Better Vlad! Thanks for the pics!
    You're welcome I love the 'Mummy' series. The old chillers had that amazing atmosphere.

I know her and Lon Cheney never got along during the filming of "the wolfman"
    He always complained she was to heavy and had the studio design a special harness to attach her to when he had to pick her up!!
    Lon and his drinking-buddy Broderick Crawford used to get shit-faced drunk in his dressing-room on Friday nights, then proceed to smash the place to pieces. The studio tolerated this only for a very short time, then warned Lon if he continued this he'd lose the room. Sure enough, the studio cleaned-up the room one final time and assigned it Evelyn. Lon accused her of stealing the room from him, saying it was a rotten thing for her to do. He was a talented but self-denying drunk. I'd love to see his drunken performance as the Frankenstein monster on a live 50's TV dramatization, which he thought was a dress-rehearsal. Saw a very brief clip of it on a TV documentary about Lon Jr.