Thread: Police: Hunter's bullet kills toddler

jay Guest

Police: Hunter's bullet kills toddler

SWAN LAKE (WABC) -- State police say a 16-month old girl died after a hunter's stray bullets traveled 400 feet into her mobile home in Swan Lake.

According to authorities, the bullets were fired by 45-year-old Edward Taibi, of the Howard Beach section of Queens, as he hunted Sunday afternoon in Sullivan county.

Taibi first shot a deer, wounding it. Police say he then fired a second time, about 400 feet away from the girl's mobile home.

The bullet went into the home and struck the girl in the upper torso.

She was rushed to Catskill Regional Medical Center, then flown to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, where she died.

Taibi was charged with second degree felony manslaughter.

The investigation is being conducted by State Police with the assistance of the State Environmental Conservation Police and the Sullivan County District Attorney's Office.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=6509543

TheMysterian Guest
    Unreal!

rickenbacker Guest
    That sickens me. I did a lot of hunting growing up, and my family still does. My dad hammered into my head to know at all times where you were, and don't shoot anywhere NEAR a house. But...with shotgun season opening, I don't let my kid go out to play over the weekend. Not everybody was taught the way I was, obviously.

Jazbabee Guest
    OMG ....how incredibly horrible. I don't know about hunting laws, but this sounds way too close to a home. Does the distance/law vary by state ? Does anyone know about this ?? Sounds to me like this was an imbecile with a loaded gun running around the woods ! Fucktard !

rickenbacker Guest
    It varies from state to state. I think in Illinois it's 300 yards (unless you have permission of the house dweller). That's not much.

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    It varies from state to state. I think in Illinois it's 300 yards (unless you have permission of the house dweller). That's not much.
    No, that's not much.....but this assclown was only 400 ft. I just can't get over that !

guardmom2008 Guest
    I don't know much about hunting, but wouldn't it make sense to amend the law of 300 yards to however far a rifle can shoot?
    Then they wouldn't be within house range.

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    I don't know much about hunting, but wouldn't it make sense to amend the law of 300 yards to however far a rifle can shoot?
    Then they wouldn't be within house range.
    Depending on the rifle, that can be miles. The point is, I can hunt right outside my house if I want to. There are three directions I can't shoot. Toward my house, toward the house across the road, and toward the house behind me. This guy just didn't use common sense. Don't fire towards a house!

RubySlippers Guest

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    Depending on the rifle, that can be miles. The point is, I can hunt right outside my house if I want to. There are three directions I can't shoot. Toward my house, toward the house across the road, and toward the house behind me. This guy just didn't use common sense. Don't fire towards a house!
    I agree with him having common sense, unfortunately it isn't so common.