Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tragic dead musicians

PvN73 Guest
    Ian Curtis - Joy Division. New doco on him - Control which looks interesting.

Yes, I remember when Paul Hester died - no one could believe it here in Melbourne. I just saw him perform a couple of weeks before that on Rockwiz. We all just cried.

knothere Guest
    i have the crowded house cd
    i wondered y
    so sad

lil_zino Guest
    Robert Palmer's death is difficult for me to think about now since my dad also died of a heart attack.

For some odd reason, I did not hear about Chris Whitley passing away til I opened this thread. To be fair, I got married not too long before that and didn't keep up on much of anything at that point.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Brian Jones found dead at the bottom of his swimming pool.

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    April fools day 1998 Rozz Williams of Christian Death hung himself. 5 days later (completly unrelated), Wendy O Williams of The Plasmatics shot herself in the head. Rozz was my favorite back then and I got to know him a little in the year or so before he did it. Very talented but yet distrurbed man.

Robin Crosby of Ratt died of AIDS. Well, if the AIDS didn't kill him, the herion OD would have.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Tommy Bolin & Rory Gallagher, 2 awesome guitar players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Bolin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Gallagher

Oh yeah, and Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Lynott
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 10-18-2007 at 03:26 PM.

RoRo Guest
    Aaaahhh so many... Cliff Burton of Metallica; Ronnie Van Zant, Allen Collins, Steve and Cassie Gaines, Leon Wilkeson all of Lynyrd Skynyrd; Keith Whitley( country singer); Janis Joplin; Mama Cass...I could go on and on but I won't

Genevieve Guest
    Sandy Denny, one time vocalist of Fairport Convention, died in 1978 aged 31. She died from a brain haemorrhage a few days after a fall at her parents' house. She was a brilliant vocalist, well respected by the biggest names in 60s - 70s music (Led Zep, Dylan, Phil Lynott, Elton John, Pete Townshend) as well as her folk music peers and has gained many new fans since. She sang with Robert Plant on "The Battle of Evermore" from Led Zeppelin 4. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Denny

Cherry Malotte Guest
    We got to see Robert Palmer live at least a half dozen times...he was fantastic. I was really shocked to hear of his death.

I was a big fan of a Yemenite singer named Ofra Haza who had hits with 'Galbi' and 'Im Nin'al' - gorgeous voice. She died in 2000 or 2001, some sort of AIDS related illness.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Marc Boland of T-Rex who died in a car crash aged 28.

cachluv Guest
    "Minnie Riperton-her daughter is Maya Rudolph on SNL"

---I HAD NO IDEA!!! I love me some Maya Rudolph! and now I can TOTALLY see the resemblance. Thanks for the bit of tid

TNpuck Guest
    Eddie Cochran. Much more talented than Elvis IMO.

Cliff Burton. Had he not died I don't believe they make the "Black" album...and that's a good thing.

Stevie Ray Vaughn. You'd think after a while musicians wouldn't be so eager to fly...

SlippyInvader Guest
    Keith Moon the drummer from the group The Who died of a drug overdose aged 32 in 1978.

Tebssis Guest
    OMG, didn't know about Rory Gallagher until I read this thread, and I'm soooo sad. Just a few months ago I pulled out my 33's and listened to a few of the many of his albums I have. Excellent guitarist. I guess the blues came calling with their Calling Card. RIP Rory, I'm still a big fan.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Tim Kelly

[SIZE=5]Tim Kelly (lead & rhythm guitars, backing vocals) from the group Slaughter. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5]http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=7940343[/SIZE]

wraith Guest
    Drummer, Sandy West, of The Runaways died in 2006 of cancer.

Links to all-female legendary rock band The Runaways http://www.therunaways.com/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Runaways

LeftEyeFan Guest
    Of course I have to mention Lisa Lopes (LeftEye) of TLC

Handrejka Guest
    Sandy Denny, Judee Sill. I agree with whoever mentioned Kirsty Maccoll, her death has so far been the only celeb death to make me cry (apart from Diana Dors when I was a kid)

Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers. Saw them four times, great show.

21. 10-26-2007, 04:05 AM

Lady Macbeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjorgy View Post
    Didn't all or a couple of members of Badfinger commit suicide? I believe they're all dead...I could be wrong.
    Both Pete Ham and Tom Evans committed suicide by hanging themselves (very weird). The drummer, Mike Gibbins, died of natural causes. Badfinger is not well known but was a great band.

Jaxxx Guest
    The Great Hank Williams died at age of 28, on his way to a New Year's Eve show in his caddy.

cherryghost Guest
    Woody Guthries death was sad and premature!

Buddy Holly, he was just gettin' started!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Guest Guest
    Mia Zapata...murdered in Seattle, here's the conclusion to her story....

[SIZE=-1] It's been 10 years in coming, but justice may finally be served. Cuban native, Jesus Mezquia will be tried for the alleged murder of Mia Zapata, lead singer for the grunge band, The Gits. This ends a 10-year hiatus and search into the gruesome, mysterious murder of the lead vocalist for the new to the scene, '90s band, that described themselves as "anti-social, but with an uncompromising vision." There will finally be closure for the remaining members of that band, guitarist, Joe Spleen, bass player, Matthew Dresdner, and drummer, Steve Moriarty, as well as fans who have faithfully continued to send in leads for years. The case of Mezquia, whose DNA was found in the form of saliva samples taken from the victim, will be heard in a Seattle courtroom and jury selection has just begun. Opening statements begin Monday, March 15th, for the 48-year-old fisherman who was charged last January with 27-year-old Zapata's murder. Moriarty shared with dedicated fans, "After 11 years of waiting for this moment it is hard to believe some semblance of justice may be achieved." For years, the member was quoted as being "deeply saddened" by the dead-end police had reached. However, he has also shared that "there is solid evidence to support the prosecution." Moriarty told fans at the opening of jury selection this week that he was "confident that the King County prosecutors are extremely competent and dedicated to winning this case." Mezquia's arrest brought back memories that the family, friends, and fellow musicians would rather forget. "This has brought back quite a lot, but we still miss her and are glad we can finally have some answers," a family friend was quoted as saying.

Mezquia, a convicted felon, had his DNA samples entered into a national database, after his burglary charge. As the case into Mia Zapata's murder was still open, even after all these years, there was a match to DNA samples that were found on her body. Mezquia was consequently arrested in Florida and three months later he was extradited to Washington, where the murder took place, and arraigned in Seattle last April for the slaying. He has pleaded not guilty and insists he never met, knew, or murdered Zapata. However, DNA tells a different story. King County Senior Deputy Prosecutor, Steve Fogg, told reporters, "The DNA evidence is powerful, pivotal and compelling evidence."

In pre-trial motions during the beginning of March, Mezquia's defense team fought to have DNA evidence thrown out, but Judge, Sharon Armstrong, ruled the DNA evidence was collected and legally verified in Florida and Washington. In the same ruling, she found that neither Zapata's diary nor references to her romantic life would be admitted as evidence or used at trial. This is a huge victory for the prosecution, as early in the 10-year-old case, rumors started circulating about the alleged promiscuity of the victim. If admitted, this could be used as evidence of multiple suspects.

The Gits were founded in Ohio, but headed to the Pacific Northwest in 1989. They shared stage time and were linked briefly with acts like Nirvana, but they were not part of the phenomena that put Seattle on the national grunge map. A band famous for not selling out, they toured Europe without the aid of a booking agent or record label and were beloved by fans for staying true to their "punk" roots. Die-hard fans heralded Zapata as an outspoken feminist. Critics of the newly-emerging singer said she had tremendous creative energy, not only in music, but also in art and fiction. Her unique and varied style seemed to meld jazz blue and punk into a mix that was just getting the band real exposure. They were quoted as striving to still maintain that socially-aware climate in their songs and lyrics. The group admits it has never been the same since Zapata's death. "When people twice my age and half my age can relate to us, we must be doing something right," Zapata told reporters shortly before her death, "I try to make my lyrics a universal thing that relate to people. If a show has people talking and if they come back, we know we are on the right track." Her ability to keep a crowd energized, made her murder a shocking and sensational headline.

At the time of Zapata's murder, the band was in conflict within itself and with its career path. Although the group's unwillingness to give in to the mainstream may have delayed their fame or bookings, things were just starting to look promising. They were finishing their second album and preparing to go on another European tour, this time with some backing. Then, on the evening of July 6th, 1993, the band's dreams and a nation's look into a young woman's poetic fancies, were forever taken away.

That evening, Zapata and friends were ironically at the Comet Tavern, raising a glass in memory of a fellow musician's death. She stayed with a friend, at their apartment until about 2 a.m. She left to hail a cab, but just an hour and 20 minutes later, authorities found her raped, beaten and strangled with the chord of her own sweatshirt. Police, at first, suspected the killing might be a religious one because her body was splayed in cross formation, but they also knew it was more than likely that the killer was a total stranger.

Prosecutor Fogg is now saying that there is more than enough evidence to prove that Mezquia was in close proximity to the crime scene. Police can prove he was a resident of Seattle from 1992 to 1994 and lived alone just minutes from where the murder took place. He was also accused of indecent exposure in a complaint filed against him only five weeks after the murder. Prosecutors say, couple that with the information on that same police report, and they have him for the murder. According to that same police report, Mezquia tried to lure a young lady into his car while masturbating. Zapata's body had been found only blocks away from where this incident occurred. The prosecutors say this shows prior pattern and proximity. He also has numerous prior arrests and convictions for kidnapping, battery and assault. There is expected to be testimony by key witnesses, friends of both the alleged murderer and the victim. This paints a deadly picture of a woman who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and paid the ultimate price.

Fogg said this case, unlike others, is unique because of the heart the fans, family, and friends gave to tracking down this murderer. For those affected by her death, most profoundly, this case is still fresh in their minds. "Mia Zapata was such a progressive force in this community that people have bent over backwards to help track down virtually everyone who saw her that night," he said. As her fans posted shortly after her death, "We will not rest until we see the face of the man who did this".

Fellow musicians staged benefit concerts in an effort to remember her. Although, the band broke up shortly after her death, The Gits re-released some of their most popular songs, with familiar rocker Joan Jett singing Zapata's vocals. This, and many other honorariums, was done in an effort to keep people aware of Zapata's vision and life, as well as her tragic death.

The public and media are doing just that. There was so much press within the community that the initial presiding judge at Mezquia's arraignment granted the defense team's motion to ban photographers and television cameras from issuing pictures of the suspect. However, that order has been lifted and it seems everyone knows the face of the man accused of snuffing a young talent's life. [/SIZE]

mgpm Guest
    "If there's a rock and roll heaven, well you know they've got a hell of a band...."

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    Buddy Holly, he was just gettin' started!
    Amen to that! I think Bopper was a novelty act but a decent song writer. Ritchie Valens would have been absolutely HUGE. After the WDP tour, Buddy was going to take Ritchie under his wings.......man, the music we missed out on because of the crash!

wraith Guest

Ty Longley-Great White

I have read this thread a couple of times, and I have not found a reference to the death of Ty Longley, lead guitarist for Great White. He perished along with 100+ audience members in the disastrous and deadly Station Nightclub fire in West Warwick, Rhode Island on February 20, 2003. The Great White stage crew ignited a pyrotechnics display which in turn ignited foam soundproofing materials in the club. It quickly became a smoky inferno. People could not get out. Many who did get out were badly burned and scarred for life. Very tragic.

cherryghost Guest

Do you think Courtney was involved in her death! The rumour is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I was on Capitol Hill the night they found her body...we were all freaked out!

I also lived below Kristen Pfaff of Hole. She od'd in the tub the weekend we went camping. Came back and there cops and tv crews all over the place. I didn't realize it at the time but Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain were in and out of our building all the time. I had no clue who they were.

cherryghost Guest
    I met Tiny Tim a few yrs before he died and celebrated his birthday with him at Paddo RSL club, we ended up in the courthouse hotel after and sitting with him he was casually bombarded by people, he was cool and sweet to everyone as was his disposition. His ukelele was stolen that night from the car parked nearby but returned. Tiny was always lovely and sweet beyond imagination!

RigorMortis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by b57hrle View Post
    Bon Scott, the original singer for AC DC....... not the way I want to go..... suffocating on his own vomit....
    I thought he died of hypothermia. Got drunk, passed out in a car and froze to death.

RigorMortis Guest
    [SIZE=5]What the holy hell? Not one mention of the great Randy Rhodes? Man where he could be now. Classically trained guitarist playing heavy metal. He was fantastic![/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Could you imagine these guys tuning up together in heaven? [/SIZE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	randy-rhodes-img.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	1590  

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Richey Edwards (he is pictured in my avatar) is pretty tragic. I have posted about him in a previous thread. While he has never been found, and is technically "missing" (his family has not declared him legally dead), his life was a mess, for sure. The Manic Street Preachers have never been the same without him.

Nowereman Guest
    George Harrison - [SIZE=-1]25 February 1943 – 29 November 2001[/SIZE]

All Things Must Pass

Last edited by Nowereman; 11-23-2007 at 08:42 PM.

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    I am not sure if he has been mentioned in here but Jeff Buckley was a definite tragedy. Walked into the Mississippi River and was found a week or so later. His music is great (I recommend buying "Grace" [1994] to everyone). He influenced a lot of popular musicians in general, especially another tragic musician, Elliot Smith. His father, Tim, died young as well...

travnut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    One of my favorites....who many had never heard of during her brief life...Eva Cassidy. (Feb. 2, 1963-Nov. 2 1996) www.evacassidy.com Her haunting rendition of "Over the Rainbow" made her a huge hit, posthumously....especially in the U.K.

She was a great singer. She had a big following in the Washington DC music scene. She was raised near where I lived and her funeral was in a park in my home town.

cherryghost Guest
    Nico died tragically after falling from a bike in Ibiza!

suicide_blonde Guest
    My favorite Bee Gee, Maurice Gibb! An excellent all-around musician, he was overshadowed by his brothers, Barry and Robin. However, he was the glue that held them together by keeping the oversized egos of his brothers at bay.

xenaswolf Guest
    Do you think Courtney was involved in her death! The rumour is!!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xenaswolf
    I was on Capitol Hill the night they found her body...we were all freaked out!

I also lived below Kristen Pfaff of Hole. She od'd in the tub the weekend we went camping. Came back and there cops and tv crews all over the place. I didn't realize it at the time but Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain were in and out of our building all the time. I had no clue who they were.

I think its possible she got the drugs from them or from a common source. I don't think they physically had anything to do with it though. But with Courtney being the nutjob she is, who know?

Pete Ham & Tom Evans of Badfinger

They were the first band the Beatles signed to Apple records, they played on George Harrison's album All Things Must Pass and the Concert for Bangladesh as well as sessions with John Lennon in his post-Beatle days.

They wrote and performed some of the top songs during the 70's including the classic "Without You" covered by Harry Nilsson, Mariah Carey, and hundreds of other artists.

After leaving Apple during the upheaval of the Beatles break-up, they signed with Warner Records, but also a bad manager who stole their money and left them penniless while they were still producing hits.

The pressure was too great for the extremely talented Pete Ham and he hung himself in his garage at the age of 27 in 1975. He was a kind, generous and humble Welshman with incredible talent. Eight years later, Tom Evans followed him.

Their story is told in the book "Without You" by Dan Matovina. They still have a loyal fan base and you can see many of their videos on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T29-VNiC3Qg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53QAuOoSgc

Nowereman Guest

Paul Kassoff

[SIZE=2]

Throughout the years, rock music has been littered with talented musicians whose lives were cut short due to drug-related deaths. Free/Back Street Crawler guitarist Paul Kossoff was one such casualty. Kossoff was born in London, England, on September 14, 1950, and early on studied classical guitar (before giving up on the instrument by his teenaged years). But upon discovering the British blues-rock movement of the '60s, Kossoff's interest in guitar perked up once again, especially after catching a John Mayall's Bluesbreakers live show with Eric Clapton. Kossoff soon purchased an electric guitar (a vintage Gibson Les Paul, which eventually become his trademark guitar) and began playing in local bands. Through one such band, Black Cat Bones, Kossoff became good friends with their drummer, Simon Kirke, who would serve a prominent part in Kossoff's musical future. Eventually feeling that the band had reached its zenith, the band broke up after the Black Cat Bones backed bluesman Champion Jack Dupree on a song called "When You Feel the Feeling."
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Kossoff and Kirke set out to form another group, hooking up with vocalist Paul Rodgers and bassist Andy Fraser, the quartet decided to go by the name Free (which was supposedly christened by British blues icon Alexis Korner). Just as the new band signed a deal with Island/A&M Records, Kossoff had fully blossomed into an outstanding guitarist, renowned for his fluid, slow, and melodic leads and bluesy riffs. Free issued a pair of albums in the late '60s that went largely unnoticed - 1968's Tons of Sobs and 1969's self-titled release - as Kossoff grew slightly disillusioned by the group's lack of commercial progress and tried out for guitar openings in such groups as the Rolling Stones and Jethro Tull. But big-time success would prove to be just around the corner for Free as their 1970 release Fire and Water spawned the massive hit single (and eventual classic rock standard) "All Right Now" and helped secure the group a spot at the esteemed 1970 Isle of Wight Festival (which also included performances by the Who and Sly & the Family Stone, as well as one of the final performances ever by both Jimi Hendrix and the Doors).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]While in a London drug rehab in 1975, Kossoff narrowly escaped death when his heart stopped beating and he had to be revived. Undeterred, Kossoff continued on his destructive path and on March 19, 1976, Kossoff died from a drug-induced heart attack while on a plane flight from Los Angeles to New York at the age of 25.

His final resting place:

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1][SIZE=2]Golders Green Crematorium[/SIZE][/SIZE]Hoop Lane
    London
    England
    Plot: Ashes scattered in Section1-L

Paul's name is towards the base of the second column from the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kossoff plac.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	1964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kossoff plac2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	1965  
    Last edited by Nowereman; 12-02-2007 at 10:46 PM.

jadon47 Guest
    marc bolan of t-rex
    keith relf of the yardbirds
    john bonham of led zepplin
    syd barret of pink floyd

Tornillo Guest
    Bobby Fuller!

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Here is an interesting site I just found, regarding musicians who committed suicide...

http://www.bipolarworld.net/bipolar%...edmuscians.htm

attackatdawn Guest

The Dead Musicians Directory

http://elvispelvis.com/causesofdeath.htm

[SIZE=5]Fuller Up[/SIZE][SIZE=5],[/SIZE][SIZE=4]The Dead Musicians Directory[/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Lots of info here on causes of death

[/SIZE]

motherogod Guest
    Thanks! Something to read at work! Haha!

Actually, I like that everything is categorized by cause of death... kinda helps with the suicide searches!

Zonigal Guest
    Nick Drake,,James Honeyman Scott, Pete Farandon

Quote Originally Posted by Nowereman View Post
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Throughout the years, rock music has been littered with talented musicians whose lives were cut short due to drug-related deaths. Free/Back Street Crawler guitarist Paul Kossoff was one such casualty. Kossoff was born in London, England, on September 14, 1950, and early on studied classical guitar (before giving up on the instrument by his teenaged years). But upon discovering the British blues-rock movement of the '60s, Kossoff's interest in guitar perked up once again, especially after catching a John Mayall's Bluesbreakers live show with Eric Clapton. Kossoff soon purchased an electric guitar (a vintage Gibson Les Paul, which eventually become his trademark guitar) and began playing in local bands. Through one such band, Black Cat Bones, Kossoff became good friends with their drummer, Simon Kirke, who would serve a prominent part in Kossoff's musical future. Eventually feeling that the band had reached its zenith, the band broke up after the Black Cat Bones backed bluesman Champion Jack Dupree on a song called "When You Feel the Feeling." [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Kossoff and Kirke set out to form another group, hooking up with vocalist Paul Rodgers and bassist Andy Fraser, the quartet decided to go by the name Free (which was supposedly christened by British blues icon Alexis Korner). Just as the new band signed a deal with Island/A&M Records, Kossoff had fully blossomed into an outstanding guitarist, renowned for his fluid, slow, and melodic leads and bluesy riffs. Free issued a pair of albums in the late '60s that went largely unnoticed - 1968's Tons of Sobs and 1969's self-titled release - as Kossoff grew slightly disillusioned by the group's lack of commercial progress and tried out for guitar openings in such groups as the Rolling Stones and Jethro Tull. But big-time success would prove to be just around the corner for Free as their 1970 release Fire and Water spawned the massive hit single (and eventual classic rock standard) "All Right Now" and helped secure the group a spot at the esteemed 1970 Isle of Wight Festival (which also included performances by the Who and Sly & the Family Stone, as well as one of the final performances ever by both Jimi Hendrix and the Doors).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]While in a London drug rehab in 1975, Kossoff narrowly escaped death when his heart stopped beating and he had to be revived. Undeterred, Kossoff continued on his destructive path and on March 19, 1976, Kossoff died from a drug-induced heart attack while on a plane flight from Los Angeles to New York at the age of 25.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]His final resting place:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=2]Golders Green Crematorium[/SIZE][/SIZE]Hoop Lane
    London
    England
    Plot: Ashes scattered in Section1-L

Paul's name is towards the base of the second column from the right.
    That's got to suck for the rest of the passengers! *shiver*
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

I love the "Poor Maintenance" section!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Albert King, Albert Collins, Johnny Copeland, Jimi Hendrix, T-Bone Walker, Janis Joplin just to name a few of my favs.