Thread: Cleveland Torso Murders

JGrier Guest

Cleveland Torso Murders

MorbidMolly Guest
    Great link for Halloween....

ScottyMonger Guest
    A fascinating case that ultimately ruined the career of Eliot Ness.

http://www.deadohio.com/Kinsbury.htm

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...y/index_1.html

TNpuck Guest
    Someone was murdering torsos? That's just sick.

kelbons Guest
    Interesting! With that many victims, I'm surprised that I'd never heard of that before!

Very fascinating stuff...
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    Someone was murdering torsos? That's just sick.

lol...Must not have seen the 'arm it it all. Whoever did it, didn't have a leg to stand on.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Darrianne Guest
    I had never heard of this until I moved to Ohio.

There is something interesting about that case if anybody did not know. There was a link with the black dahlia murder.

Lout_Rampage Guest

Cleveland Torso Murders

Currently reading an excellent book on the subject. I searched and couldn't find any threads. There are some very gory pics floating around, so that should keep you all interested!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Torso_Murderer

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Wow...Now that's a story...Never heard of it til now...Thank bunches...That outta keep me occupied for a while...You guys never let me down!

Guest Guest
    yup I will be busy with this too!!!

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Yeah, I was in Cleveland this week and visited the Cleveland Police Historical Society and Museum. They have the actual death masks of the victims, along with other items of historical interest relating to the murders.

The book "In the Wake of the Butcher" by James Badal is the most comprehensive book to date (and is packed with page after page of gory pics).

After reading the book I'm dying to discuss this with someone, but it's not very well known for some reason. It's driving me crazy, lol.

Morto Guest
    Eliot Ness was involved in the investigation I believe as the director of Public Safety in Cleveland

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    Eliot Ness was involved in the investigation I believe as the director of Public Safety in Cleveland
    Yes, he was.

gemini33 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lout_Rampage View Post
    Yeah, I was in Cleveland this week and visited the Cleveland Police Historical Society and Museum. They have the actual death masks of the victims, along with other items of historical interest relating to the murders.

The book "In the Wake of the Butcher" by James Badal is the most comprehensive book to date (and is packed with page after page of gory pics).

After reading the book I'm dying to discuss this with someone, but it's not very well known for some reason. It's driving me crazy, lol.

I had no clue that they had a Museum on stuff like this! I have a friend in Cleveland, who I will be visiting in the next few months. Thank you for pointing this out!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    This is also an excellent resource on these murders, focusing on Eliot Ness's involvement....

http://www.amazon.com/Torso-Story-Se...0089460&sr=1-2

Similar to Black Dahlia murder

I read a book on the Torso murders several years ago, a very interesting local case. Eliot Ness and the detectives with Cleveland Police were never able to solve the case, but had several strong suspects.

The killer preyed on people (men and women) who were vagrants, drifters, petty criminals, etc. Their remains were often found long after their deaths with most evidence destroyed. They were usually left in an industrial areas bordering the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland known as the Flats and Kingsbury Run.

Because of the near-surgical butchering, torture and sexual sadism used in most of the killings, some who have studied the case think the same perp may have been responsible for the Black Dahlia murder. At first it seemed a stretch, but according to information at the link below, Cleveland Det. Peter Merylo thought the same thing.

Interesting reading

http://www.williamtrasmussen.com/

Cleveland Police Museum link (beware, pics of some victims)

http://www.clevelandpolicemuseum.org/torso1.htm

bluebird14 Guest
    I dont think he had anything to do with the Black Dahlia murder. This man had anger towards men, but the Black Dahlia Killer was obviously angry with women (the way he tortured and then mutilated her body). I dont know, it just doesnt sit well with me.

but thanks for the sites!

Gorey Guest
    They did try to link these murders to the Black Dahlia, but there was never any real solid proof. In reading on the subject- books- "Torso" by Steven nickels and "In The Wake of the Butcher " by umm,,,,, I forget at the moment. The details of the cases were too dissimilar to be related. There were railroad murders very close to the Torso killings in New Castle, PA. These are believed connected and remain unsolved.

The murders, themselves were very gruesome as it is believed that the killer made the victims kneel on the ground while he chopped their heads off. Solving the case is made all the more difficult by the fact that most of the men remained unidentified and were secretly believed to by homosexual, although this isn't mentioned by the authorities if my memory serves me.

It is a fascinating story. Get the books. Read. Learn. I love to discuss this case as you can probably tell. I might have to get the books out for Christmas and reread them. It would make for interesting Christmas dinner conversation.....

bluebird14 Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gorey View Post
    They did try to link these murders to the Black Dahlia, but there was never any real solid proof. In reading on the subject- books- "Torso" by Steven nickels and "In The Wake of the Butcher " by umm,,,,, I forget at the moment. The details of the cases were too dissimilar to be related. There were railroad murders very close to the Torso killings in New Castle, PA. These are believed connected and remain unsolved.

The murders, themselves were very gruesome as it is believed that the killer made the victims kneel on the ground while he chopped their heads off. Solving the case is made all the more difficult by the fact that most of the men remained unidentified and were secretly believed to by homosexual, although this isn't mentioned by the authorities if my memory serves me.

It is a fascinating story. Get the books. Read. Learn. I love to discuss this case as you can probably tell. I might have to get the books out for Christmas and reread them. It would make for interesting Christmas dinner conversation.....

You bring your books, and I'll bring mine (black dahlia avenger, severed, manray's art book, etc) and its a date

Gorey Guest
    Bluebird, honey, Dinner at my house. You won't need your books though. I already have them and read them. I have about 1000+ books on murders, serial killers and a few Royal Bio's for flavor. If you want to read about it, I probably have it.

Wendy A. Guest
    I thought I'd give this thread a bump. I'm watching a show on the History Channel about it right now. Interesting stuff!