Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Ritter

fanable Guest

John Ritter

For some reason, John's death hit me hard, and I still feel saddened when I think about how he died so suddenly, so young, and on his daughter's(?) birthday to boot. I remember him best from Three's Company.

I found the episode of 8 simple rules on YouTube where they address John dying (Goodbye). I cried the first time I watched it because it was apparent (to me, anyway) how upset the cast was; I half expected any one of them to burst into tears at any particular time.

Part 1 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=oC-1ZgM_0Pg
    Part 2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=3urOyoDwVrE
    Part 3 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=hPwgOk7fOMI
    Part 4 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=FRL9dqBRWhg
    Part 5 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=P50Je9jg1h4
    Part 6 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=4o7aBRoZHVE

b57hrle Guest
    His death was really unexpected for me... really liked him

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Snoopy Guest
    They really did handle it beautifully..and just watching the first part now I cried remembering my dad's death I did what Carrie's character did just curled up in my dad's chair..it was comforting to me and touched me when I saw her do it. Thank you fanable for posting this.
    Last edited by Snoopy; 10-07-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Guest Guest
    I remember they did a tribute for him on the Wayne Brady show that had me balling like a baby. 8 simple rules was one of my favorite shows, when David Spade stepped in I quit watching it, it wasn't the same.

Snoopy Guest
    I agree Sweetsumthin..they tried but it just wasn't the same. John Ritter was a fantastic comedic as well as dramatic actor..did anyone see him in SwingBlade?

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:51 AM.

He was great in Slingblade, too.

Guest Guest
    John played every role imaginable. Good guy, bad guy, happy, sad, funny, serious. He was a great actor, and put his heart into his roles unlike some.

Daphne Guest
    I agree with Sweet, John Ritter was extremely versatile, and I realized how gifted he was in 'Blade', such a tragic ending.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    I remember they did a tribute for him on the Wayne Brady show that had me balling like a baby. 8 simple rules was one of my favorite shows, when David Spade stepped in I quit watching it, it wasn't the same.
    I hate David spade. John Ritter carried the show!

candleinthewind Guest
    Billy Bob Thornton was really hit hard by John Ritter's death. He reportedly asked a plastic surgeon to make him look more like John.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    Billy Bob Thornton was really hit hard by John Ritter's death. He reportedly asked a plastic surgeon to make him look more like John.
    Really? wow ...that's kinda sweet..um.. I guess..but strange..but I can't say I never thought Billy Bob wasn't talented a bit odd but talented!

insanejeff Guest
    John was the most upsetting celebrity death to me so far. I was honestly crying off and on for about 3 days.

As for the show, yeah.. I actually didn't care much for it to begin with, though I loved John since I was a kid. I watched regularly for a few weeks when they came back but I can't stand David Spade and I had this weird feeling that James Garner was gonna end up dying any minute too.

Am I the only one who saw the potential for more heartbreak by adding an elderly man to the cast with a history of heart problems?

The show was too dark too. Literally. I had to turn the brightness up to view it comfortably. Maybe they were making a statement with the lighting or trying to hide how deathly Garner looked.

John Ritter was one of my favorites as well. I grew up watching Three's Company. Though his role in Problem Child was pretty funny too. It hit me hard too, I just couldn't believe it, I kept watching the news, and flipping channels as well to make sure that it was indeed real. I miss the man!

Tugboat25 Guest
    I love the fact that when Billy Bob Thornton wrote Slingblade, he asked John Ritter to not only be in it as a gay man but he also allowed John to pick his character's name. John decided on Vaughn Cunningham because he always imagined the Cunningham family on Happy Days having an older, homosexual brother.

John was very funny in bad santa,him trying to deal with billy bob thortons character was hilarious.I bet she didn't poop right for a week.

keef Guest
    Ah, you beat me to it! I was about to say, Bad Santa is the funniest movie I've seen in the last few years (along with Team America) & John Ritter's scenes with Bernie Mac are just great

John's death was horrible & real shocking, my heart sank when I heard.

K.

relander Guest
    Yes it was really unexpected and sad.
    For some reason it hit me too kinda hard...

He just seemed to be a relly nice guy and all.
    Last edited by relander; 10-07-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Update

1karenhb Guest

Unhappy

I was working at Disneyland and was a media hostess the weekend before he died. California Adventure was having an ABC Fall Preview weekend where the stars from ABC shows had press conferences and signed autographs for fans. The cast of 8 Simple Rules attended Sunday. John was clowning around all day and was very gracious to all the fans. I was totally shocked when just 4 days later he was dead. A week later I went to the Disney Studio where the show was filmed and there was a large black banner accross the large poster of the show hanging down one of the buildings. I cried. The hospital were he was taken and died is right accross the street from the studio. It was easily seen. The show was never the same without him
    Last edited by 1karenhb; 10-09-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Additional info

Darrianne Guest
    I first remember noticing him as the young minister on "The Waltons". My whole family used to watch that together when I was a kid. I had a lil crush on him.

He had a great role in Sling Blade. I loved him in Threes Company. He was great at physical comedy.

Rainwolf Guest
    Anyone else remember "Hearts Afire". John, Markie Post and a rather non-slender Billy Bob. I loved that show.

I cried when he died too, he was awesome.

SecretSquirrel Guest
    What the heck was that movie he was in......he was kind of a "cad" womanizer type.....I think I remember something like a house burnt down or trashed.....something like that - but him being kind of a dramatic Jack Tripper????? Ah, I grew up on the "Three's Company" stuff as well, and loved him DEARLY. Had such a crush on him (even though he wore the tiniest shorts I've ever seen :P) One of the saddest things that he's gone, really

Suzanne30 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
    What the heck was that movie he was in......he was kind of a "cad" womanizer type.....I think I remember something like a house burnt down or trashed.....something like that - but him being kind of a dramatic Jack Tripper????? Ah, I grew up on the "Three's Company" stuff as well, and loved him DEARLY. Had such a crush on him (even though he wore the tiniest shorts I've ever seen :P) One of the saddest things that he's gone, really
    Skin Deep?

SecretSquirrel Guest
    YES!!!!!! Yes yes yes that was it!!!! God lawd why did I even love that movie....well, him of course........you are the shaznazzle for knowing that pronto Thanks! (Gonna watch that again........)

JBCA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I hate David spade. John Ritter carried the show!
    Adding David Spade to "replace" John Ritter just added insult to injury! It truly was a sad thing to see

HETFIELD Guest
    Whenever you add David Spade to a show, it sucks. I mean, wasnt he added to Spin City after Michael J Fox quit?

The day he died I was on my way to band practice when I heard and then I heard that Johnny Cash died as well (same day). Anyway, at band practice we wrote a song about the two of them. Sad, Sad day... not only was it September 11th, but hearing it was his daughters birthday, his wedding anniversary was like the next day or something... just crazy!
    Last edited by Jason; 10-10-2007 at 08:56 AM.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    My lil Jack Tripper. Loved him. What a loss. I recently watched the episodes of 8 simple rules that followed his death. Was soo sad. U could tell the cast was devastated.
    ~SinKitty

blair Guest
    Someone who worked on 'Bad Santa' told me that John Ritter was one of the nicest guys ever. He said that John would come onto the set and try to figure out how to make a person's day better. The guy who told me that was a real cynical fucker too.

I'm always impressed when I hear about a celeb actually being a good person.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Ya, everything Ive heard of him is that he was genuinly nice. That makes his death suck even worse.
    ~SinKitty

McFeely Guest
    I missed that episode when it first aired, unfortunately I had to work. Here it is over four years later and I'm almost in tears over John Ritter. Thanks for posting. RIP John.

McFeely Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blair View Post
    Someone who worked on 'Bad Santa' told me that John Ritter was one of the nicest guys ever. He said that John would come onto the set and try to figure out how to make a person's day better. The guy who told me that was a real cynical fucker too.

I'm always impressed when I hear about a celeb actually being a good person.
    For some reason this doesn't surprise me with John Ritter. But I believe that most other celebrities can be such jerks.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Kathyf Guest
    I know he was always so happy it seemed. I had just seen him 3 months before in california at a movie premiere with his son Jason. It was such a shock.

Snoopy Guest
    Here's John's grave :

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    i really liked him in IT, he played that role perfect. his talents and smile will be missed for sure. JOHN RITTER R.I.P

I was in labor with my first child watching cnn when we heard about John. When I was younger I couldn't sleep without the tv on so my dad made me a audio of Three's A Company for my walkman. That on episode put me to sleep at my dads for 2 years. Watching CNN, for the updates actually got me through the the 12 hours of labor.

Ruffian Guest
    I don't know what's wrong with me. I never liked him...and I SHOULD! He's the kind of man, in real life, that I would normally think the world of......like Jimmy Stewart or David Niven, who are supposed to be the salt of the earth. I think it's because I hated 3's Company. I was a kid and thought it was the stupidest show on earth. I'm almost ashamed to say that I never cared for him.

StricklandFOREVER Guest
    I remember the day he died I was still living in Los Angeles. There was a huge poster of the cast of 8 Simple Rules at the entrance of Warner Brother's Studio..... the studio had placed a very large black ribbon over John's picture. I just remember sitting at the stop light staring at it....tears and memories...until the car behind me blew it's horn for me to drive through the green light......I HATE CAR HORNS!

DelightfulDeathHag Guest
    He was such a talented man and seemed bigger than life. I grew up watching him and was always kinda surprised he was Tex Ritter's son, country music and Jack Tripper didn't seem to match lol. Loved him in Slingblade and I alos remember him from the Waltons

Rudy's Girl Guest
    I remember some gossip that came out after John's death that actually ended up being a compliment to him. An unknown actress said that she and John hooked up in the early days. She claimed not only was he a very nice person, but that he was absolutely incredible in bed and had the stamina of a "jack rabbit".

I miss John.....

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Interestingly enough his father Tex Ritter died in a Nashville police station while he was bailing out one of his band members.

Seems everyone in that family had a terrible case of the "nice."

My clock radio wakes me up and on that morning the station was playing the theme song to Three's company during the news and I groggily thought, there goes Don Knotts. When they said it was John Ritter that died it shocked the hell out of me. You could tell by watching him that he had to be that cool in real life. I'm still sad about it. RIP John.

ghoulgurl Guest
    He was funny and cute. I remember watching the first ep of "3's Company"

AmyLea Guest
    I remember just after he died Henry Winkler granted an interview with Mary Hart. The guy could barely get through the interview. Evidently they were good friends.

Do any of you remember a "Buffy, The Vampire Slayer" episode in which John played a love interest of Buffy's mother? He turned out to be this sicko robot that tried to kill Buffy. He could even pull that one off!!!

Great actor and apparently a good person. So sad...

lisalouver Guest
    John's widow is suing, suing, suing.

http://www6.comcast.net/entertainmen...-2a2e5fb26cd6/

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I'm sorry for his family, but I felt the same way about Payne Stewart, don't they have enough money already?

knothere Guest
    GLENDALE, California (AP) -- Jurors in the trial of a wrongful-death lawsuit against two of John Ritter's doctors heard the actor's voice as he reported to his wife in a phone message that he wasn't feeling well and thought he had food poisoning.
    Amy Yasbeck, widow of actor John Ritter, walks in to court to testify in her lawsuit over his death. Ritter's widow, Amy Yasbeck, testified Thursday that the message was left just before he was taken to a hospital from the set of his hit TV show "8 Simple Rules ... for Dating My Teenage Daughter."
    In the message, Ritter said, "Hi honey, this is John. I'm in my dressing room and not feeling very well. I think I have food poisoning. ... They're going to call a doctor to look at me."
    Yasbeck said she spoke to Ritter when he called back a few minutes later to say he was going to probably miss an event at his daughter Stella's school that evening.
    "He called back and said, 'Now I'm having chest pains and the nurse is coming and they're going to take me across the street,"' Yasbeck testified through tears.
    She did not finish the story of his last day before the court session ended. She was to resume Monday.
    Ritter's widow and children are suing a cardiologist who treated him at a Burbank hospital on the day he died in September 2003 and a radiologist who performed a body scan on Ritter two years earlier. They are seeking $67 million.
    Ritter, 54, died of torn aorta but was treated for a heart attack. The plaintiffs claim the cardiologist, Dr. Joseph Lee, should have recognized the aortic dissection and that the radiologist, Dr. Matthew Lotysch, should have detected an enlargement of the aorta in the body scan. Both doctors dispute the claims.
    Yasbeck told the jury how she and Ritter met when they appeared together in the movie "Problem Child" in 1989.
    She said they then appeared in a sequel and by 1997 had moved in together. They were married in 1999.
    Yasbeck said Ritter knew there were potential health problems in his family since his father, Western star Tex Ritter, died of a heart attack and his mother had suffered a major stroke. She said he was concerned about his health for those reasons.
    "It came up all the time," she said. "He always wanted to lose weight. He worked out a lot."
    She said he had undergone physicals when he applied for insurance in connection with his acting jobs.
    In 2001, she said, he told her he was going to get a body scan. She said she had urged the procedure because she heard about it on Oprah Winfrey's TV show and knew that his ex-wife had undergone a similar scan.
    When he returned from the procedure he showed her the results and "he said, 'This is good. This is not bad for a man of my age.' He said, 'You'd better be good to me because I'm going to be around for a long time,"' Yasbeck recalled.
    "I just remember he was very positive about it like this was a good thing," she said.
    Under questioning by her lawyer, Moses Lebovits, Yasbeck said she was sure that if Ritter had been told he had a vascular problem he would have told her.
    The radiologist testified Wednesday he met with Ritter for about a half hour after the test and told him he had triple vessel coronary disease and should follow up with an internist or cardiologist.
    Yasbeck indicated there was no mention of that.
    In other testimony, forensic economist Tamara Hunt said that if Ritter had lived and his show had continued for seven years he could have earned nearly $41.9 million.
    In an odd twist, Superior Court Judge Laura Matz said a woman juror's husband was going into a hospital Monday for a heart procedure but the juror was willing to come to court anyway. The juror planned to keep her cell phone on vibrate in case anything went wrong.