Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy Holly

Gary Guest
    Here's what was written on Buddy's Death Certificate:

[SIZE=4]From the Coroner's Report dated Feb. 4, 1959

The body of Charles H. Holley was clothed in an outer jacket of yellow leather-like material in which 4 seams in the back were split almost full length. The skull was split medially in the forehead and this extended into the vertex region. Approximately half the brain tissue was absent. There was bleeding from both ears, and the face showed multiple lacerations. The consistency of the chest was soft due to extensive crushing injury to the bony structure. The left forearm was factured 1/3 the way up from the wrist and the right elbow was fractured. Both thighs and legs showed multiple factures. There was a small laceration of the scrotum.

Personal effects found with the body are listed on a separate sheet in this report.

Fingerprints were taken of the deceased for purposes of identification.

Ralph E. Smiley, MD
    Acting coroner

Personal effects, Charles Holley

Cash $193.00 less $11.65 coroner's fees - $181.35 2
    cuff links, silver 1/2 in. balls having jeweled band Top portion of ball point pen. [/SIZE]

NOVSTORM Guest
    OK I did find where he did NOT have an autopsy. What I read was what the corner said about his injuries. I was wrong about the autopsys. But I was right about him dying without a will and it will cost 20 bucks to get the court hearings and the file his widow built up in court makinbg sure she got it all. Pay day I will buy it,

Gary Guest
    Here's Ritchie's Death Certificate:
    http://www.rockmine.com/Archive/Vaul...t/Ritchie.html

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post

[SIZE=4]From the Coroner's Report dated Feb. 4, 1959 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]The body of Charles H. Holley was clothed in an outer jacket of yellow leather-like material in which 4 seams in the back were split almost full length. The skull was split medially in the forehead and this extended into the vertex region. Approximately half the brain tissue was absent. There was bleeding from both ears, and the face showed multiple lacerations. The consistency of the chest was soft due to extensive crushing injury to the bony structure. The left forearm was factured 1/3 the way up from the wrist and the right elbow was fractured. Both thighs and legs showed multiple factures. There was a small laceration of the scrotum. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Personal effects found with the body are listed on a separate sheet in this report. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Fingerprints were taken of the deceased for purposes of identification.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Ralph E. Smiley, MD [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Acting coroner [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Personal effects, Charles Holley [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Cash $193.00 less $11.65 coroner's fees - $181.35 2[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]cuff links, silver 1/2 in. balls having jeweled band Top portion of ball point pen. [/SIZE]
    I couldn't believe it when I read they took money for coroner's fees LOL

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I couldn't believe it when I read they took money for coroner's fees LOL
    Me either what an asshole. Did he think he wouldn't get paid geez.

Khaos696 Guest
    Wow, thanks for that link, that is the first time I have seen any color photo's of the crash site, I've looked for them before but to no avail..

Thanks again.

The pilot was trapped in the plane. I've seen a photo where you can see his foot sticking out of the wreckage. I can't tell if it's one from the Globe Gazette, though. Also, there was no fire, so no burned wreckage.
    Ok. It just looked burnt to me.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I always wondered about the pilot. Buddy, Ritchie and the Bopper were thrown out of the plane, but the pilot was still inside. I believe they actually performed an autopsy on him. But his was completely enclosed with wreckage. How must that have looked like?
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

phirerednga Guest

[SIZE=4]From the Coroner's Report dated Feb. 4, 1959 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]The body of Charles H. Holley was clothed in an outer jacket of yellow leather-like material in which 4 seams in the back were split almost full length. The skull was split medially in the forehead and this extended into the vertex region. Approximately half the brain tissue was absent. There was bleeding from both ears, and the face showed multiple lacerations. The consistency of the chest was soft due to extensive crushing injury to the bony structure. The left forearm was factured 1/3 the way up from the wrist and the right elbow was fractured. Both thighs and legs showed multiple factures. There was a small laceration of the scrotum. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Personal effects found with the body are listed on a separate sheet in this report. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Fingerprints were taken of the deceased for purposes of identification.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Ralph E. Smiley, MD [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Acting coroner [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Personal effects, Charles Holley [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Cash $193.00 less $11.65 coroner's fees - $181.35 2[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]cuff links, silver 1/2 in. balls having jeweled band Top portion of ball point pen. [/SIZE]
    I couldnt believe his fee was taken out of the pocket of Buddy Holly! I doubt this could or would be done today. It reeks of unprofessionalism.

so i'm going to lubbock on the 23rd of feb. to see peggy sue at barnes and noble! whooo! i guess that means i have to buy the book.
    Last edited by xoxojessicaxoxo; 02-01-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz4Ng...related&search=

Tell me how they got a hearse in there?

They drove the squad cars and the hearse thru the corn fields. It was dead of winter the ground was frozen.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    As a death investigator, the pictures of the bodies lying in the cornfield look pretty intact to me for a plane crash.

Ritchie Valens was a big dude. So was JP Richardson. Buddy Holly and Roger Peterson were thin and smaller men.

Their bodies actually would have been quite easy to identify, even if their face and head had much trauma.

Back in those days, they used actual people to say "yea, that's him" That is no longer done.
    Maybe not in Iowa but it still is done in many states. I know here in Ca I had to identify someone in person. They showed it thru a camera instead of taking me into the room.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Go here for a more recent pic of Peggy Sue and Maria.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wbuddy113.xml
    It's funny........the article states Maria is 62. WRONG! She's 72.
    Well it has to be wrong because Buddy was born in 36. He would have been 72 this yr and if was only 62 what did he do marry her when she was 12? Also wasn't she married before she married Buddy? I thought I had read that some where?
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 02-01-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Gary Guest
    Yes, Maria is 72. SHE probably is telling everybody she's 62 because she thinks we're too stupid or lazy to figure things out.
    She was not married before Buddy, but she got married again (I believe) within a year of Buddy's death. I think she had 4 kids(?) with Mr. Diaz. Soon after the movie came out and tributes started up ($$$$$) she divorced Diaz and took back the Holly name ($$$$$$).

NOVSTORM Guest
    Yes, Maria is 72. SHE probably is telling everybody she's 62 because she thinks we're too stupid or lazy to figure things out.
    She was not married before Buddy, but she got married again (I believe) within a year of Buddy's death. I think she had 4 kids(?) with Mr. Diaz. Soon after the movie came out and tributes started up ($$$$$) she divorced Diaz and took back the Holly name ($$$$$$).

Wow she wasted no time there LOL

Katie Guest
    It's all about the money... It's always about money. If they were fighting, she might not have ever loved him, but she loves the money.

Jazbabee Guest
    I don't feel bad for her. She lied about her pregnancy. Buddy was going to divorce her after the tour and move back to Lubbock and she wanted no part of moving to Lubbock. His family never liked her and even more so now. Because they were married at the time of the crash, she owns the name and images of Buddy and leaves his family out of everything. Everything she has said in interviews is scripted.
    What is the source of her lying about her pregnancy ?? Is this just heresay ??

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    I always wondered about the pilot. Buddy, Ritchie and the Bopper were thrown out of the plane, but the pilot was still inside. I believe they actually performed an autopsy on him. But his was completely enclosed with wreckage. How must that have looked like?
    I have yet to see an actual autopsy report on Roger Peterson. After his death, his widow moved here to Minnesota where she got a job with Northwest airlines as a flight attendant and remarried. Last I heard, she was still living here. His parents were devastated. Roger is often called "the forgotten victim."

Katie Guest
    It sounds like Roger made a huge mistake that cost him his life and those of others. Was he not able to fly in those conditions, and was not trained properly to handle the equipment? I could be getting my plane crashes mixed up.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    It sounds like Roger made a huge mistake that cost him his life and those of others. Was he not able to fly in those conditions, and was not trained properly to handle the equipment? I could be getting my plane crashes mixed up.
    Seems like most of the plane crashes we hear about are like that (the small ones anyway) Roger Peterson, John Denver, JFK Jr....

BTW, if I remember right, one of the books I have on the crash said that Roger did not have proper training in reading the gyroscope and thought he was ascending when he was actually decending and that is why the plane hit so hard because he was going full force?

Gary might correct me....of course, there was a bad snowstorm and they should not have flown at all. Buddy was desperate to get to Fargo to get the laundry done (seriously) and get some sleep. That's what is really sad.

Gary Guest
    Seems like most of the plane crashes we hear about are like that (the small ones anyway) Roger Peterson, John Denver, JFK Jr....

BTW, if I remember right, one of the books I have on the crash said that Roger did not have proper training in reading the gyroscope and thought he was ascending when he was actually decending and that is why the plane hit so hard because he was going full force?

Gary might correct me....of course, there was a bad snowstorm and they should not have flown at all. Buddy was desperate to get to Fargo to get the laundry done (seriously) and get some sleep. That's what is really sad.
    You are correct with the pilot info. They hit the ground doing 160 MPH. They had no idea they were going down.
    As for the storm, that's not true. There was a LIGHT snowfall that night but of course everybody says it was a snowstorm...probably because that's the only way snow ever falls here. HA HA HA....but no, there was no storm. And ice was not on the wings. It was entirely pilot error. And yes, the plane is still here in Clear Lake in storage by the owner, Jerry Dwyer. VERY few people have seen it since the crash, and Bopper Jr. was allowed to see it a few years back. Mr. Dwyer still gets choked up talking about that night.

undertaker Guest

Holly crash pics

The local paper in Iowa is selling Holly crash photos. Check it out.
    http://globe1.fotki.com/archives/win...h_site_photos/

undertaker Guest
    By the way today 2/3/2008 is the 49th anniversery of the crash.

i hope tom petty makes note of the anniversary at half time.

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by undertaker View Post
    How prophetic that today is the anniversary. Just this morning I was driving out when "Maybe Baby" by Holly came over the radio. I know that VH1 has a reality show with that Brady bufoon Christpher Knight and his wife he met on Surreal life, whatever her name is. The name of their reality show is called "My Fair Brady: Maybe Baby". Makes me wonder of widow to Holly, Maria whatserface, has gone after VH1 for copyright infringement for using the title "Maybe Baby". Not too much of a stretch, if Spike Lee can do it with a tv station .

Quote Originally Posted by undertaker View Post
    I just heard that on the radio show I'm listening to right now. Rest in peace, gents.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I wrote an email to Larry Holley and his Daughter answered it.
    In a message dated 2/11/2008 6:21:55 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, larry@tcsproductions.com writes:
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Hello Judy, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Thanks for writing. I am answering this letter for my Dad, Larry. I am Sherry, Larry’s daughter. I just got back from singing at The Surf Ballroom in Mason City, Iowa. It was quite a strange experience but a good experience. I had been up there when I was sixteen with my Grandmother and Granddaddy Holley and it was in the summer time when nothing was going on. This time I actually sang there. My Dad went in the hospital with bronchitis while I was up in Iowa. I was on pins and needles the whole time, but the show went well and when I got back, he got out of the hospital. My Dad has written a book about his own life that is fantastic. It tells about what it was like growing up in the Holley family in The Depression Years. My Dad was very important to Buddy. My Dad bought Buddy his first guitar. It has a whole chapter about Buddy and has pictures that my Dad released only in September. Everyone seems to love the book and it is all true, to which a lot of books are not. Thanks for writing, please check out my website. http:sherryholley.com. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]From Texas, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Sherry Holley[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]From:[/SIZE][SIZE=2] NovStorm@aol.com [mailto:NovStorm@aol.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:13 AM
    To: larry@tcsproductions.com
    Subject: Your poem
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]That is so beautiful. I loved Buddys music and felt bad when it stopped. Please keep the site going !!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I hope that on your site that you will put an end to rumors that are out there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Please tell us who Sherry is?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Thank you[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Judy[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year. [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

lisalouver Guest
    Great email Nov!

I expect that when Gary has settled in, he would be letting us know how the Surf went this year.

Next year will sure be the biggie, looking forward to it!

Gary Guest
    Great email Nov!

I expect that when Gary has settled in, he would be letting us know how the Surf went this year.

Next year will sure be the biggie, looking forward to it!
    Oh I'm back and somewhat settled, but now I have a good size cold, but I'll report on this great show.
    The first night featured rockabilly legend Sleepy La Beef and Speedo & The Cadillacs. Sleepy was good but the Cadillacs...man, those guys are OLD but can still put on the moves! They did all of their hits (Gloria, Peek A Boo/Speedo/Sympathy and others) plus some other great doowop hits of the 50s. They sounded great! They came out in bright orange suits (like you see on the PBS shows) but in the pix I took, they look pink. HA HA
    Also on stage were Jay & The Americans. This is Jay Number 3. The ORIGINAL Jay was Jay Traynor who only was with the Americans for one or two records before he left. Number two was the infamous Jay Black who pretty much sang on ALL the hit records, but he's pretty much lost it now and the Americans hired the new guy. MAN CAN THIS GUY SING! He hits the notes better than the previous Jay's! ALL the hits and then some. They came to town on Tuesday and stayed till Sunday. They performed all over the place for free (except the Surf) and mingled and danced at the Surf every night. You can't meet a nicer bunch of guys.
    They already said that even if they don't perform next year, they will be back to join in on the festivities.
    Friday was Buddy's guitarist from the last tour, Tommy Allsup, and a young Buddy Holly impersonator that Tommy (I think) manages. His name is Johnny Rogers. Great set, great look, GREAT SOUND. Sherry Holley joined them on stage for a few numbers as well. After them was Flash Cadillac. Nice oldies set from this well-known legendary group. You name it, they did it.
    Saturday was a memorabilia show in the afternoon with all of the acts signing and meeting the fans. Performing that night were local favorites Jack Knife & The Killer Vees (Bobby Vee's kids) doing more rockabilly flavored tunes. Good opening act. Next was Dave Somerville, lead singer of The Diamonds. He did all that they were known for except my favorite, SHE SAY. The Stroll went over very big but of course, the biggie was Little Darlin'. About a 40 min. set and a very polished act.
    The Chiffons followed (one original, the lead singer) and they were okay. Again, about a 40 min. set with their 4 biggest hits and a lot of other girl group numbers. They were a crowd pleaser.
    More rockabilly followed with Sonny Burgess & The Pacers. Man, I thought the Cadillacs were old. THESE GEEZERS ARE OLD BUT CAN THEY ROCK THE JOINT! Screaming guitars, pounding drums, wailing sax, thumping bass, rockin' piano.......50's ROCK & ROLL!!
    Next were The Belmonts visiting the Surf for the first time since that night in 1959. They were great! FANTASTIC doo wop. Every hit by the group that you can think of and more. No Dion, but the singer was actually quite good. Since MC Big Bopper Jr was in the hospital with pneumonia, the MC from Feb. 2, 1959 (Bob Hale) stepped in and he was a favorite among many. When he went on stage and reminisced with the Belmonts about "that night", there was hardly a dry eye in the house. They continued with a little tribute to Bopper, Ritchie and Buddy and then finished with a bang with more big hits by Dion & The Belmonts. FAN-tastic!
    The finale was by The Crickets: Joe B. Mauldin, Sonny Curtis, and Jerry Allison. Since it was already about 12:15 by the time they made it on, they were only allowed about 45 min. to play but of course, they went past the time some. All the hits (natch) and a few tributes to Buddy and of course Sonny's big one Love Is All Around (The Mary Tyler Moore theme). A great weekend and a great time had by all.
    Yes, Peggy Sue was there selling her book from Wednesday thru Friday. Saturday she had to leave because she was selling in Waterloo Iowa, plus I don't think she and ex-hubby Jerry Allison have anything to do with each other, so she made sure she was gone.
    Also there was Jerry Naylor selling some books, CD's and DVDs of his ROCKABILLY LEGENDS documentary. Jerry joined the Crickets after Buddy died and left in early 65. He also got up on stage and sang with Tommy Allsup and the gang on Friday night. He was hoping the Crickets would invite him up for a couple numbers on Saturday, but I think because of time (and other things) it just didn't happen.
    I never saw one empty booth, not one empty table, and not one empty floor space for any of the nights. If anybody plans on going next year, the dates are (I think) Jan. 28-31 and a special tribute show on Monday Feb. 2. Acts and tickets will be announced in May or June. RESERVE HOTELS NOW!

NOVSTORM Guest
    Gary what a great recap. I wish I could have been there. All my favorite groups ( I am one of the rocking old ladies ) LOL Maybe next yr I can go and raise hell with all of them !!!

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Gary what a great recap. I wish I could have been there. All my favorite groups ( I am one of the rocking old ladies ) LOL Maybe next yr I can go and raise hell with all of them !!!
    You're never too old to Rock & Roll!!

lisalouver Guest
    Gary sounds like a great time. Reminds me of my days there in the 90's!

Litlte Darlin! My Dad would just go nuts.

I was going to ask you about Bob Hale and if he is still around. I know he always used to be there when I went in the mid to late 90's and he would always get the crowd misty eyed (he too would) I also remember him on the VH1 special and he started crying on there when he talked about that last night with the boys. I got my pic taken with him at one of the shows and he really is a genuine guy. He's gotta be getting up there in age. Do you know Gary, does he still live in Iowa?

Man, Sonny Curtis singing Love is All Around? What a time!!! How do the old boys look these days? I saw them one year at the Surf and I could not get over how small Joe B is!

Gotta hand it to all of them for still going!

Cathy J. Guest
    You are correct with the pilot info. They hit the ground doing 160 MPH. They had no idea they were going down.
    As for the storm, that's not true. There was a LIGHT snowfall that night but of course everybody says it was a snowstorm...probably because that's the only way snow ever falls here. HA HA HA....but no, there was no storm. And ice was not on the wings. It was entirely pilot error.
    That sounds a lot like Patsy Cline's plane crash...minus the snow.

Gary Guest
    Gary sounds like a great time. Reminds me of my days there in the 90's!

Litlte Darlin! My Dad would just go nuts.

I was going to ask you about Bob Hale and if he is still around. I know he always used to be there when I went in the mid to late 90's and he would always get the crowd misty eyed (he too would) I also remember him on the VH1 special and he started crying on there when he talked about that last night with the boys. I got my pic taken with him at one of the shows and he really is a genuine guy. He's gotta be getting up there in age. Do you know Gary, does he still live in Iowa?

Man, Sonny Curtis singing Love is All Around? What a time!!! How do the old boys look these days? I saw them one year at the Surf and I could not get over how small Joe B is!

Gotta hand it to all of them for still going!
    I THINK Bob Hale still lives near Clear Lake. I know he's in Iowa for sure. Bob even mentioned that even after all these years, he has NEVER been to the crash site. Says he just can't do it.
    As for pix, PM me with your email address and I'll send some on to whomever is interested. I have about 170 taken between a friend and me but I can narrow them down to say..........160. HA HA HA

madmravyn Guest
    I wonder if he had a tizzy when Weezer came out with the Buddy Holly song. Or when his songs are used in movies. I wonder how much control she had over that. to think I always thought she miscarried and I felt so bad for her.

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    Wow! Great thread! IMHO.....I seriously think that Buddy was/is the real King of Rock 'n' Roll!! Gary...thanks so much for all of the info about the Surf Ballroom...I would love to be able to go (and take my mom who started me out listening to Buddy's great music!!) It's fab that these people can still get up & let'er rock...!!!

Gary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage_Vixen View Post
    Wow! Great thread! IMHO.....I seriously think that Buddy was/is the real King of Rock 'n' Roll!! Gary...thanks so much for all of the info about the Surf Ballroom...I would love to be able to go (and take my mom who started me out listening to Buddy's great music!!) It's fab that these people can still get up & let'er rock...!!!
    When I first started going to Clear Lake, it was an absolute blast, then things started changing when Maria decided she wanted her cut and of course the people running the show in CL couldn't afford that, so they started leaning towards the 60s. People like Gary Lewis, Johnny Rivers, Freddy Cannon, Dixie Cups and others were being booked.....which is fine to me, but people just stopped coming and it wasn't fun anymore and I stopped going, too. I've been back now the last two years and it's just like the first couple of years. 50s music with a dash of 60s and people are LOVING it and coming back. Last year they had about 1700 tickets sold and this year was a near sell-out (2200). Sure seemed like a sell-out to me because it was standing room only! Next year will surely be 2200+. I've been reading posts on other boards and a LOT of people are planning already and many who've never been there before are planning on going. I can't stress enough that if anybody is interested in going that you better book your rooms now. Even if you change your mind later, you can cancel your room and you're out nothing.
    By the way, I was wrong about Bob Hale. He lives in Illinois near Chicago.

Mrs. Watson Guest

Buddy Holly Story On TVLAND 2/26

The Buddy Holly Story, starring Gary Busey before proving that you should wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

Busey did his own singing in the movie, and won an Oscar for the movie.

On tonight on TVLAND at 8 p.m. EST.

Just a heads up.

Buddy's Widow

Hi all...I am new on the forums, but have been a die hard FAD junkie for a very long time!
    I am also a huge Holly fan, been to Lubbock and took the whole Holly tour.
    Everything that has been said about Maria Elena Diaz aka MED (I hate to call her a Holly) is true... and more! Gary is 100% correct.
    The woman is an evil fame hag, trying to cash in on Buddy's name. IMO (and other experts) she was never PG, that BS sympathy story never saw the light of day till the movie came out.

And about the watch Buddy was wearing when he died, she sent it to his Father, L.O. Holley, as she did with every thing else that belonged to Buddy. She ran back to NY after Buddy's funeral (which she did not attend), packed up all his stuff and sent it to his family in Lubbock. Later, after the movie, she saw the $$ signs and wanted everything back to sell it. She threatened to sue to get the watch back. The Holley's being peaceful people sent it to her. It sold at auction for over $80,000 and as far as I know the Holley's never saw a dime.

Same with Buddy's glasses he was wearing when he died, she got them and sold them to the museum in Lubbock for $thousands$. All Buddy is to her is what he always was $$$ signs.

I see her in an interview and when she gets all teary eyed I want to gag!

Peggy Sue's book is a good read but not as much dirt in it about MED as I had hoped! It is obvious though that the honeymoon they all shared was a nightmare.

Sorry this is so long...but that witch makes my blood boil!

As far as Buddy's talent, if there had never been a Buddy, there would have never been a Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones...the list goes on & on. He was THE rock & roll pioneer!

Quote Originally Posted by morticia53 View Post
    Hi all...I am new on the forums, but have been a die hard FAD junkie for a very long time!
    Everything that has been said about Maria Elena Diaz aka MED (I hate to call her a Holly) is true... and more! Gary is 100% correct.
    The woman is an evil fame hag, trying to cash in on Buddy's name. IMO (and other experts) she was never PG, that BS sympathy story never saw the light of day till the movie came out.

And about the watch Buddy was wearing when he died, she sent it to his Father, L.O. Holley, as she did with every thing else that belonged to Buddy. She ran back to NY after Buddy's funeral (which she did not attend), packed up all his stuff and sent it to his family in Lubbock. Later, after the movie, she saw the $$ signs and wanted everything back to sell it. She threatened to sue to get the watch back. The Holley's being peaceful people sent it to her. It sold at auction for over $80,000 and as far as I know the Holley's never saw a dime.

Same with Buddy's glasses he was wearing when he died, she got them and sold them to the museum in Lubbock for $thousands$. All Buddy is to her is what he always was $$$ signs.

Peggy Sue's book is a good read but not as much dirt in it about MED as I had hoped! It is obvious though that the honeymoon they all shared was a nightmare.

As far as Buddy's talent, if there had never been a Buddy, there would have never been a Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones...the list goes on & on. He was THE rock & roll pioneer!

welcome morticia! i am from lubbock and the next time i'm there i want to get some updated photos. lubbock high school has their own private memorial dedicated to buddy and i hope to get some pics of that as well!

the book wasn't as juicy as i had hoped, it was kind of boring.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Tebssis Guest

Glad you liked your visit to Texas. My family lived in Lubbock about the time Buddy was in high school, but alas my dad was in college there at Tech and my siblings were too young, so they never met him.
    Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Lots of great, interesting people here. We have a lot of fun and hope you will too.

Thank you Tebbssis for the welcome!
    The only problem with this forum is I spend way too much time on it!! I love it!
    I also love Texas, my brother is in Ft. Worth & Mom was a Texan, so have lots of family there.
    Went to Lubbock twice and really liked it!
    ~The only difference between a rut and a grave is depth~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~~I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.~~ Humphrey Bogart's last words

I feel your pain. I hated it when she tried to stop the selling of Peggy Sue's book. I also hated it when she tried to remove some memorabilia of Buddy from all over Texas. Does she have nothing better to do in life?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Gary Guest
    Welcome "Tish"! We Holly fans must stick together and rid MED from our lives somehow........by not actually typing her name is a great start! If you've never been to Clear Lake, '09 would be the perfect time to go. LOTS of great surprises are in store and I can't see how anybody would be disappointed. Book your travel arrangements and hotel now! Tickets for the show will be in sale soon and as soon as I get confirmation about the entertainment I will post. I know ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY that Bobby Vee and the Crickets will be there for Monday Feb. 2, '09. I know there will be others that night and the previous 4 nights, but can't say yet until confirmed.

Gary~
    Yes when she finally bites the dust we can sing *ding dong the witch is dead*lol. Unfortunately her daughter is being groomed to take over for her, so nothing will change I don't think.

I would love to go to Clearlake but my husband has cancer and there is no way I would drag him there, especially in Feb. His BD is the 5th too bad he is not a Buddyophile like I am...it would be a great BD party!

I do hope to get there someday though! When in Lubbock I met the "resident expert" and got a VIP Buddy tour and it was great, I loved every minute of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~~I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis.~~ Humphrey Bogart's last words

Gary Guest
    The "resident expert"? Are you talking about Bill G? I was in Lubbock in 1980 for the unveiling of Buddy's statue and met Buddy's family. GREAT people. His dad was a real hoot! I never knew what video was at the time so I shot some silent super 8 movie film. I should transfer that to DVD sometime........

jimmy's One Guest
    I saw the movie also and really felt for her she was suppossed to be 4-5 month pre at the time ...

Yes Gary it was THAT expert, him & his wife were so nice, they even got me a private tour of the museum when it was closed.
    You should get that film onto a DVD! I love the videos I took there, and I took a video of everything!

Since you are a Buddyholic like I am, what about the witch making them change the name of the Walk of Fame?

Don't feel sorry for MED Jimmy's One, she wouldn't know the truth if it hit her upside the head!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gary Guest
    I met Maria, a couple of times, in Clear Lake. She wasn't at the first tribute show in 1979 but she was definitely there after that. She was a very funny and nice person until..............she realized how much money was being made and she wanted her cut. The event can't use Buddy's name or image for advertising now so it is now called FIFTIES IN FEBRUARY. I don't have a problem with her making a few dollars for the use of Buddy's name or image, but it's the way she goes about it. She has turned into a money hungry whore who doesn't care about Buddy or his fans. It's all about her now. It's just too bad Buddy didn't get that divorce he wanted because his name wouldn't be as tarnished as it is now and the fans would probably have the long-awaited box set, too.

I hear she loves her champagne and table dancing, lol. Yes once she was consulted for the movie (which is why it is so full of BS) she saw the $$ signs I think. She is too dumb to see if she did things as they should be done for his legacy, she would make way more $$ than she does now.

From what I heard there were 2 things on Buddy's attorney's desk when he died, a will and divorce papers.
    This is I think why she didn't go to his funeral or ever to his grave...guilt and anger.

I mean how whacked do you have to be to not go to your spouses funeral??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]