Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ramones

Tugboat25 Guest

The Ramones

Any thoughts about possibly the Greatest American band of all time?
    (yeah, subjective, I know).
    Joey, Johnny and Dee Dee crossed over to the other side in rather quick succession.
    I never met any of them although I got to see them play live and they were amazing (of course).
    They say Joey was a GREAT guy. He was always around CBGB and various other locales in NYC and was apparently Very approachable and super nice without an ego.
    Johnny was apparently a bit more ummm, abrasive? Not that he was a bad guy! Supposedly, he was just very serious and didn't suffer fools too well.
    Dee Dee, I heard he was cool too but a bit looney (for lack of a better word).
    I just thought those three Icons deserved mentioning on here.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Joey, Johnny and Dee Dee crossed over to the other side in rather quick succession.
    I never met any of them although I got to see them play live and they were amazing (of course).
    They say Joey was a GREAT guy. He was always around CBGB and various other locales in NYC and was apparently Very approachable and super nice without an ego.
    Johnny was apparently a bit more ummm, abrasive? Not that he was a bad guy! Supposedly, he was just very serious and didn't suffer fools too well.
    I had to laugh when I saw the Dee Dee comment. Did you read his "Chelsea Horror Hotel"? In the book he has himself hangin' out with the ghost of Sid Vicious. Wacky book, but I liked it.
    It was sad that they all went like that. Altho, I am suprised Dee Dee made it that many years with a junk problem like he had.
    RIP Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I had to laugh when I saw the Dee Dee comment. Did you read his "Chelsea Horror Hotel"? In the book he has himself hangin' out with the ghost of Sid Vicious. Wacky book, but I liked it.
    It was sad that they all went like that. Altho, I am suprised Dee Dee made it that many years with a junk problem like he had.
    RIP Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee.
    Ironically, Dee Dee always used to say that he would never be a member of the "stupid club" (people who OD).
    I guess he was a bit off the mark.

Barco Rebar Guest

dee dee's OD

I got this from Arturo Vega, the 5th Ramone. Dee Dee had been Clean close to 7 years (how ever much clean is). But being a Musician myself and touring and playing shows with them, and seeing at least 10 of my fellow musicians fall to Heroin. I do Believe in Arturo's statement to me that Dee Dee (Not a Mensa member by far) took 3-4 times the amount he should of. Reason being. (#1, Black tar Heroin in CA is stronger) #2, dee did a hit of equal amount's when he was a Junkie for 20 years. In the police report, he fell over, needle still in his arm. Explaining, why the amount he took was "OVERKILL". I still wonder whether a wandering Ramones fan gave him that heroin, since he had a solid relationship (wife) and was clean, and not smart enough to know that the amount he took (his old amount he use to inject) would kill him instantly. Funny but sad. all the drug use Dee Dee did, his body was in great shape, when compared to prostate Cancer for Johnny (who was always nice to me) (but Joey was pissed at Johnny and it escalated into such animosity, any other band would of disbanded). Johnny was a health nut to a degree, Joey dabbled in everything. Cancer on the 2 who had theirlife together at the end, and a mysterious accidental OD. What a shame for a abnd that had more success ($$ made) in the last 2 years before they died then the 20 years of touring the USA/World on the road over 200 days a year. They played more shows then the Grateful Dead, rolling stones...etc. Though I have seen these typed up. I would love to know which bands played the most shows. (not cover has been bands....like the Monkees), but band who never stopped, lik AC/DC or The Who (who should of stopped)

Richard

Bellfire Guest
    I loved thier movie. I thought it was funny when I read that two of the Ramones were in love with the same girl. They were shall we say of different political views and one actually wrote a song calling the other a KKK man lol.

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest

Dee Dee's last show?

Around that time I was at a club in LA one night and the MC said, we have got a special guest tonight. Dee Dee came out and jammed a few songs out with the band that was already playing that night. It was very cool although I don't recall what songs and I don't remember them being Ramones songs per-say. After the mini set was done we went outside to smoke and saw him leave the venue and walk down the street by himself with a guitar over his shoulder. It was seemed like a matter of days before he died after that.
    Last edited by D3LIVIĆ?N; 09-18-2009 at 09:54 AM.

I was fortunate enough to have seen them in 1991 during the Escape From New York Tour with Debbie Harry and The Tom Tom Club!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    with all the good and bad that came with this amazing band (internal fighting, drug abuse, OCD), I can't say enough GOOD about this band. they made me believe that a regular guy like me can be a somebody. they were not handsome guy's, sharp dressers or the best musicians/songwriters. but that's what was so GREAT about them. they were regular guys doing what they believed in. and they gave me hope as a teenager...and still as an adult. I cried when Joey died (Easter Sunday 2001). wasn't shocked to hear Dee Dee passed. and was rather sad when Johnny died. 3/4 (original line-up) of one of the greatest bands....gone forever. but DAMN was that some good fun music.

SistaSara Guest

Johnny Ramone Grave

Thats a grave that rocks.

Tugboat25 Guest
    It still amazes me that Johnny ended up in LA (as well as Dee Dee).
    I just mean, he (and The Ramones) were so New York.
    Johnny did say that he retired and so he packed up, gave his guitars away and moved to someplace warm. He took retirement seriously.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    It still amazes me that Johnny ended up in LA (as well as Dee Dee).
    I just mean, he (and The Ramones) were so New York.
    Johnny did say that he retired and so he packed up, gave his guitars away and moved to someplace warm. He took retirement seriously.
    Johnny took EVERYTHING seriously. his art, band, lifestyle and beliefs. he was one of a kind.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    Johnny took EVERYTHING seriously. his art, band, lifestyle and beliefs. he was one of a kind.
    You're right Chris. Johnny almost had the mentality of a 65 year old man quitting his accounting job and moving to Florida. To Johnny, ending The Ramones was the same thing.
    You gotta love Johnny Ramone, even with all his surliness!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    You're right Chris. Johnny almost had the mentality of a 65 year old man quitting his accounting job and moving to Florida. To Johnny, ending The Ramones was the same thing.
    You gotta love Johnny Ramone, even with all his surliness!
    I agree. I am a HUGE Ramones fanatic, like Scott. and even though it hurt to think that Joey and Johnny hated each other over something as stupid as a fucking girl...but to his credit Johnny kept that band going all those years. he managed the money, and took care of the business end of the band after they split. he was a hard head, but he kept his head on STRAIGHT! and for that I salute Johnny.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I agree. I am a HUGE Ramones fanatic, like Scott. and even though it hurt to think that Joey and Johnny hated each other over something as stupid as a fucking girl...but to his credit Johnny kept that band going all those years. he managed the money, and took care of the business end of the band after they split. he was a hard head, but he kept his head on STRAIGHT! and for that I salute Johnny.
    I positively Love The Ramones as well.
    They are perhaps (I say definitely) the greatest American rock band of all time.
    The mix of personalities in the band was also perfection (even with all the infighting between Joey and Johnny).
    The words "legendary" or "iconic" aren't strong enough for The Ramones.

Cataroo Guest
    When I die, I want something like that!! Maybe me ... holding a martini shaker! Now THAT would be perfect!!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I positively Love The Ramones as well.
    They are perhaps (I say definitely) the greatest American rock band of all time.
    The mix of personalities in the band was also perfection (even with all the infighting between Joey and Johnny).
    The words "legendary" or "iconic" aren't strong enough for The Ramones.
    I agree 110%. as silly and comic book-like as they were in the beginning, they WERE an influence that spanned generations. Johnny said right after the band split that when he see's "bands that are influenced by bands that are influenced by the Ramones, it's time to call it a day." and the music lives on. I love that MY kid's are getting into them. it's a true testament to their legacy. people 40 years from now will find something about themselves in the Ramones music.

Cataroo Guest
    I love that MY kid's are getting into them. it's a true testament to their legacy.

I turned my daughter on to them, too! She's almost 18 now and still loves them!

Tugboat25 Guest
    I agree 110%. as silly and comic book-like as they were in the beginning, they WERE an influence that spanned generations. Johnny said right after the band split that when he see's "bands that are influenced by bands that are influenced by the Ramones, it's time to call it a day." and the music lives on. I love that MY kid's are getting into them. it's a true testament to their legacy. people 40 years from now will find something about themselves in the Ramones music.
    It has been said a number of times by a number of different people that the Ramones were More influential than the Beatles (even though the Beatles get all the accolades).
    The thought is that modern bands that came after the Ramones and Beatles reflect more in line with what the Ramones did first.
    There are more musical similarities with the Ramones in modern music than what the Beatles had developed. I have to say I agree with this thought very much.
    There would have not been a punk movement without the Ramones, then in turn, no new wave then no alternative.
    It all comes from The Ramones.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post
    I turned my daughter on to them, too! She's almost 18 now and still loves them!
    my oldest son is 11. and he LOVES Rock N Roll High School and I Wanna Live.

It has been said a number of times by a number of different people that the Ramones were More influential than the Beatles (even though the Beatles get all the accolades).
    The thought is that modern bands that came after the Ramones and Beatles reflect more in line with what the Ramones did first.
    There are more musical similarities with the Ramones in modern music than what the Beatles had developed. I have to say I agree with this thought very much.
    There would have not been a punk movement without the Ramones, then in turn, no new wave then no alternative.
    It all comes from The Ramones.
    I agree. it all goes back to the Ramones. it's too bad Joey wasn't around long enough to have seen the big Ramones explosion.

I see dead people Guest
    Can't forget Dee Dees as well!

Their former manager Linda Stein was murdered apparently.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/11/0...bit/index.html
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

leevancleef Guest
    i just love how despite all the problems between them, after Joeys death, Johnny said that they were definetly over and that it was impossible to even think of replacing Joey. Johny was an interesting guy, i love to read about him.

Hey SistaSara i think that that is not exactly Johnnys grave , it is actually a memorial, its a bronze statue that was unveiled the 14th of January in 2005.
    Its indeed located near Dee Dees grave. Johnny was cremated but i dont know what happened to the ashes, maybe his wife Linda keeps them.

cherryghost Guest
    I saw the Ramones in Sydney at a Club called Chequers in 1980, Sydney had its garbage bag punks still then and they threw beer cans and boo'd the support band, Melbourne's The Models. Thankfully the Ramones came on and I at 17yrs old but very into great music, laughed and found them the most clever, fast and funny (In a brillant sense) band I have ever seen, still! I thought the stories of heroin before and after the show must have been legend or lies! The energy was just too ON!

leeny994 Guest

The Ramones

I had to start this thread since I am... well a huge Ramones fan

Poor Ramones, only the drummers left

any thoughts on the boys? i just wish Joey had lived to be there at his induction in to the Rock and Roll hall of Fame

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    I've been a huge Ramones fan since Jr. High. I remember hearing "I Wanna be Sedated" for the first time and realizing there was so much great music I just hadn't heard yet. The Ramones began my love of punk music. They are, in a way, responsible for my becoming a DJ. I heard "Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio" and that was what I wanted to do. When I got my chance, I took it. Since I also worked in the sales department of the station, I needed a new name. In honor of The Ramones, I "borrowed" a name that came from two of their songs. For three years, I was Suzie Ramone. At the end of each shift, I used the quote in your sig "Okay...I gotta go now." I still credit Joey for what turned out to be the best time I've had in my life.

I wish Joey had lived to see the induction too. At least Dee Dee and Johnny got to see it. Now, all three original members are gone. The drummers were added on later. Joey was playing drums and singing when the band started. Damn shame, they're all gone now.

Forever-27 Guest
    I miss this band terribly

RaRaRamona Guest
    When I was in Jr High I saw "Rock n Roll High School" on late night tv. I loved the campiness & just...awfulness of it. When I told me mom about the band in the movie she laughed & said they were a real band. So I started my hunt for their music. This was the late 80's early 90's & it was hard to find anything. Everywhere I went I searched for albums & tapes. I was out of high school before I found them all. Now of course you can get any music you want, through teh internetz. Not so back then.

I also yearned for a Ramones t shirt. For YEARS I lokked in vain. I am serious - I still remember digging through bins in every town we visited. I read the Goldmine paper religiously. No luck. I got my first one when I was in college & Hot Topic started selling them. Whee my son was born I got him a onsie. The irony!!

I made everyone call me my first name Ramone in school. haha

Yes, I was devastated when they started dropping off. I still think it's hilarious that Johnny was a Republican. He always said that was the most punk rock thing.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Being a Ramone is/was bad for your health....apparently....24 hours a day....

Forever-27 Guest
    I saw them live on the Brain Drain tour .... awsome show. Punk or Pop .... how do you classify The Ramones? Ask Miss Togar Principal of Vince Lombardi High School or Riff Randle

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    I saw them live on the Brain Drain tour .... awsome show. Punk or Pop .... how do you classify The Ramones? Ask Miss Togar Principal of Vince Lombardi High School or Riff Randle

Dee Dee Ramone....great voice for those who love the gritty side o'life...53rd & 3rd...just awesome

Tugboat25 Guest
    This thread was started already, months ago. There's a lot more good posts in the original.
    With utmost respect and politeness I would just like to add that it is important to search for subjects before starting a thread in order to see if one has already begun. It removes confusion and keeps thing a bit more in order.
    Thank you for your understanding.

leeny994 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I also yearned for a Ramones t shirt. For YEARS I lokked in vain. I am serious - I still remember digging through bins in every town we visited. I read the Goldmine paper religiously. No luck. I got my first one when I was in college & Hot Topic started selling them. Whee my son was born I got him a onsie. The irony!!.

i think the final blow was closing cbgb's last year... at least they have kept joey's street sign up

Jack Raines Guest
    There was an article recently in either Spin or Blender magazine discussing a possibly Ramones "curse", it was pretty interesting.

leeny994 Guest
    i saw that i can't remember which mag it was in though... i pondered the curse theory too--especially with the whole Linda Stein thing...

lisalouver Guest
    Anone remember the song "Joey" by Concrete Blonde? It was popular when I was in the Navy, I think around 1990 or 1991?

Great song, always has been a rumor that it was written for Joey Ramone.

One of the lines in it "and if you're out there drunk and passed out on the floor, on Joey I'm not angry anymore"

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    There was an article recently in either Spin or Blender magazine discussing a possibly Ramones "curse", it was pretty interesting.
    They were older than dirt & cancer is prevalent in our society, as are drugs. That about covers it.

Kareika Guest
    I have awesome memories of having my toe broken "dancing" at a Ramones concert at Porter hall in Ottawa, Ontario in...hummmm...1987-ish. Happy pain.

My brother has always looked like Johnny Ramone.

Mrs F Guest
    I am SO glad someone started this post. I am a Ramones freak! I ran into (literally ran into) Joey in New York in 1998. He was very sweet and TALL! I apologized, he apologized then we did that awkward "I'll go this way, no you go this way" dance for a second. It was great.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs F View Post
    I am SO glad someone started this post. I am a Ramones freak! I ran into (literally ran into) Joey in New York in 1998. He was very sweet and TALL! I apologized, he apologized then we did that awkward "I'll go this way, no you go this way" dance for a second. It was great.
    Aaaw you danced with Joey! Did you sing" Do ya do ya do ya do ya wanna dance?"

leeny994 Guest
    they say Joey was a sweet and dear man... ahhh so sad...

Mrs F Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Aaaw you danced with Joey! Did you sing" Do ya do ya do ya do ya wanna dance?"

Only in my head! Didn't wanna creep the guy out. People always told me how ugly he was under the hair and sunglasses. I have to disgaree. Having been up that close to him he was actually kind of lovely and soft featured. Just my opinion

cherryghost Guest
    Oh the other Ramones thread mentioned, I told the story of seeing them at Chequers nightclub in Goulbourn st Sydney in 1979, they were really funny, very fast and had written a song about a Banana which I liked, still dont know what that song is called? Anyone? I was told that some of them has shot up heroin before going on but didnt really see evidence of that in the great show!

cherryghost Guest
    Oh and of course Sydney has always had a reputation for great Heroin! Deborah Harry made the comment "the best thing about Sydney was the smack" would you believe!

cherryghost Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by I see dead people View Post
    Can't forget Dee Dees as well!

Is that you in the reflection I see dead people?

They have an interesting tie-in to Phil Spector. He produced their album "End of the Century" Apparently it was a very tense and unfriendly collaberation:
    "Spector's collaboration with the Ramones was ill-starred. Johnny Ramone complained that Phil spent 12 hours contemplating the opening chord of "Rock and Roll High School." And Dee Dee Ramone said, "He wasn't the most friendly guy I've ever met. He tried to be friends, but then he had guns on him, and he wouldn't let me out of his house for a couple of days. I never met anybody [else] like him and I hope I never do."
    I love that album. Chinese Rock ranks up there with "Satisfaction" as one of the best tracks ever laid on vinyl. End of the Century is one of their best albums, though not as good as Too Tough to Die or Rocket to Russia.
    Just an interesting tidbit of info.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Oh the other Ramones thread mentioned, I told the story of seeing them at Chequers nightclub in Goulbourn st Sydney in 1979, they were really funny, very fast and had written a song about a Banana which I liked, still dont know what that song is called? Anyone? I was told that some of them has shot up heroin before going on but didnt really see evidence of that in the great show!

LMBO I did a search & this is what I found...

Maybe it's late but I am laughing so hard at this guy.

Okay, two 14 year olds have had their 13.04 nanoseconds of fame>
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Unfortunately I've spent too many nights with my own bleeding banana!

Unfortunately I've spent too many nights with my own bleeding banana!
    Okay, two 14 year olds have had their 13.04 nanoseconds of fame>
    Okay. I don't understand this and I posted it. I am fucked up!. Internet + coke+ alchohol+ weed + lack of sleep+ social anxiety disorder= bizarre stream of conscienciousness rapport. Not really, the cocaine overrides the social anxiety disorder. I can put a cigarrettte out in a fags face at a bar and attribute it to "Reflexive Katrina and the Waves Refluxive nostril disorder and the mincing cunt will apologize for the inconveneience.!