Thread: Richard Loo

Guest Guest

Smile Richard Loo

Richard Loo (October 1, 1903 - November 20, 1983) was a Chinese American film actor who was one of the most familiar Asian character actors in American films of the 1930s and 1940s. A prolific actor, he appeared in over 120 films between 1931 and 1983.

Richard Loo was most often stereotyped as the Japanese enemy flier, spy or interrogator during the Second World War. Chinese by ancestry and Hawaiian by birth, Loo spent his youth in Hawaii, then moved to California as a teenager. He attended the University of California and attempted a career in business. However, the stock market crash of 1929 and the subsequent economic depression forced him to start over. He became involved with amateur, then professional, theater companies and in 1931 made his first film. Like most Asian actors in non-Asian countries, he played primarily small, stereotypical roles, though he rose quickly to familiarity, if not fame, in a number of films.

His stern features led him to be a favorite movie villain, and the coming of World War II gave him greater prominence in roles as vicious Japanese soldiers in successful pictures such as The Purple Heart (1944) and God Is My Co-Pilot (1945). In 1944, he appeared as a Chinese lieutenant opposite Gregory Peck in The Keys of the Kingdom. He had a rare heroic role as a weary Japanese-American soldier in the Korean War drama The Steel Helmet (1951), but spent much of his career in later years performing stock roles and with minor television roles.

In 1974 he appeared as the Thai billionaire tycoon Hai Fat in the James Bond film, The Man With The Golden Gun, opposite Roger Moore and Christopher Lee.

Loo was also a teacher of Shaolin Monks in 7 episodes of the 1972-1974 popular TV show, Kung Fu.

His last acting appearance was in The Incredible Hulk television series in 1981 but he continued to perform for Toyota commercials into 1982. He died of a cerebral hemorrhage on November 20, 1983.

Personal life

His wife, Bessie Loo, was a well-known Hollywood agent.

I absolutely remember him as the evil / nasty / villian in most War Movies I have seen.. Such a memorable face and mannerism in film ... also remember him somewhat from the T.V. show Kung Fu ...
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

Guest Guest
    I am familiar with the title Kung Fu but have never seen it! I believe it starred David Carradine and Philip Ahn - another character actor who played his share of villains in war films.

Kung Fu (1972 - 1975 ) American Television series .. Correct starred David Carradine ((Grasshopper )) and also another great Actor from that series ..Keye Luke ( as the blind Master Po ) was a regular on that series .. It was very entertaining !!
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

Guest Guest
    Ah Keye Luke! Son of Charlie Chan! I loved one of his last roles as the old shopkeeper in 'Gremlins'. Very memorable!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Ah Keye Luke! Son of Charlie Chan! I loved one of his last roles as the old shopkeeper in 'Gremlins'. Very memorable!
    One of my most favorite holiday movies-as strang as it sounds.