Thread: Bob Denver

Danny62 Guest

Bob Denver

Gilligan!

Does anyone have much info on him?

I know he liked to smoke pot...and had goldfish in his backyard!!!

leevancleef Guest
    i remember reading that he was a very smart guy and that he had a science degree from universite or something similar.

blair Guest
    Dunno about him being smart...it says here he snitched out Mary Ann:

http://www.friendsofcannabis.com/friends/bob_denver.htm

GILLIGAN'S DAWN WELLS CAUGHT UP IN INTERSTATE DRUG STING

Gilligan's Island star Dawn Wells has gone into hiding since being caught up in the scandal surrounding co-star Bob Denver's pot bust. STAR has learned that Wells, who played coconut pie-baking Mary Ann in the legendary '60s sitcom, disappeared from her Los Angeles home and hired a criminal lawyer after her name was dragged into an investigation of a drug ring spanning three states.

"She's totally stressed out," said her attorney, Donald J. Calabria. "She's a nice lady being punished right now."

Narcotics cops say they found 16 canceled checks made out to Wells for amounts ranging from $340 to $700 when they raided Denver's Princeton, W. Va.,home on June 4. The raid came after the officers were tipped of that a package containing marijuana had been mailed to Denver.

"When Denver's house was being searched, the checkbook was found and the amounts were written in, in the amount that the marijuana had cost," Detective Kevin Compton told STAR.

"If Wells was charged and convicted in West Virginia," he added, "she would receive 16 felony counts of conspiracy to delivery marijuana, earning one to five years in prison for each count."

Denver told cops that Wells has been his supplier since 1995, according to one well placed police source.

Goodby, little buddy.

crazedfemale Guest
    His son (a spitting image of the late sailor, btw) recently attended the Hollywood star ceremony of Sherwood Schwartz.

6. 04-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Cathy J. Guest
    When Bob Denver and his wife lived in West Virginia ( I believe he lived in WV all the way until his death ), he and his wife tried to do an oldies radio show with a Gilligan twist ( surprised? LOL ). They were hoping to have their show syndicated through the West Virginia Metronews radio network to air on various stations around West Virginia. Metronews was NOT interested. I heard the main reason was that Metronews felt that Denver was a complete ass, demanded this huge salary. I heard the money he wanted was more than the rights to those popular WVU football games.

They did end up doing their show though ( online that is ) and I believe Dawn Wells and Russell Johnson made an apperance there, but the show didn't last long.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Money is what makes the world go round.

At that age you gotta do what you gotta do to get it.

tommyjox Guest
    Not Mary Ann...Gilligan
    Nothing is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjox View Post
    Not Mary Ann...Gilligan
    Nothing is sacred.
    As a kid, I had a passing contact with him, if you can call it that. He was living in or around Thousand Oaks, CA and one of his kids went to the elementary/middle school I went to. He came to this little bitty school carnival we had in TO, and was very nice and joked around with the kids, very normal and not pretentious. Out there, it was actually no big deal because a lot of movie/t.v. stars lived in that particular area (and still do), but as a kid, I was surprised that he would bother coming to such a little thing. It seemed to me that he was supportive of the school and his kid's activities. Or maybe he was just an ego freak who wanted to be noticed as much as possible. This was late 60's, so I guess Gilligan's Island was still in active production, not sure. It may have been the very beginnings of his fall from the well-known star scene. He had on very very ordinary clothes, not sloppy, but the usual Bob Denverish type look. I wonder if he was smoking pot then too or if that started later. Anyway, he seemed friendly and approachable and as a naive kid, I was impressed that he came to that little event when MANY (in fact MOST) of the other parents didn't bother at all.........that's my memory of him, and it was a nice one.

bluebear71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Gilligan!

That pretty much sums it up.

corncountychoppr Guest
    So many kids grew up loving Gilligan..it was sad he could never escape that role.
    still wearing the Gilligan hat with gray hair ..that was kinda weird to see
    They should have paid those Sherwood Schwartz sitcom actors more in residuals
    Most of them were so type cast after those sitcoms ..
    They could never support themselves to the level they deserved after making
    those shows so lovable and the producers so rich.
    Poor Maryann has to sell overpriced pot to make ends meet...those cancelled checks of Gilligans were kinda pricey ..dont ya thank ... ?..........lol
    She should have took money from playboy and shown her yummy tatas
    and then invested it
    Ya suppose the Professor gave her tips on growing hemp ?

Steve Guest
    Wouldn't it be nice if all your memories were that pleasant? I don't know what Bob Denver was like as a person, so my imagination provides fond memories. I think of him as a nice, good natured, funny person. Like his most famous role.

He may not have been that way in real life, but it's my fantasy!

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by corncountychoppr View Post
    So many kids grew up loving Gilligan..it was sad he could never escape that role.
    still wearing the Gilligan hat with gray hair ..that was kinda weird to see
    They should have paid those Sherwood Schwartz sitcom actors more in residuals
    Most of them were so type cast after those sitcoms ..
    They could never support themselves to the level they deserved after making
    those shows so lovable and the producers so rich.
    Poor Maryann has to sell overpriced pot to make ends meet...those cancelled checks of Gilligans were kinda pricey ..dont ya thank ... ?..........lol
    She should have took money from playboy and shown her yummy tatas
    and then invested it
    Ya suppose the Professor gave her tips on growing hemp ?
    The stars of Gilligan's Island should have received more in terms of money than they did, but in another way if one looks at it, Bob did very well.

There was those Gilligan cartoons ( Gilligan's Planet ) plus those three Gilligan's Island movies that came out in the late 70s and one can't forget those sitcoms he did in the 70s like Dusty's Trail and of course, The Far Out Space Nuts even though in his bio didn't seem to enjoy doing that show.

Typecasted yes he was but there were so many Gilligan projects after the original run of Gilligan's Island that Denver was busy playing Gilligan for years afterward. Unlike so many others once the show ended that was pretty much it.

Bob Denver sold the rights to his residuals to G.I. as did many of the other co-stars around 1969 because they had no idea at that time that G.I. would become a syndication blockbuster in a year or two. IIRC Denver said he sold his rights for $5,000.

And don't forget FAR OUT SPACE NUTS and Maynard G. Krebs, the first TV beatnik.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Gilligan!

Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:17 AM.

thanks for posting his death certificate....it appears that one cause of death was cancer of the larynx - I presume that would be throat cancer. Perhaps smoking pot isn't as harmless as some of its supporters like to claim....many say it's less harmful than smoking cigarettes. Obviously something caused his throat cancer and I'd bet it was the pot. Frankly, I think any smoke inhaled into your lungs has got to be bad for you long term, no matter what it is....I suspect he had a lot more in common with the beatnik Maynard G. Krebs character than anything else he ever played....marched to his own drummer....

Duke Six Guest
    Bob also did a post GI called the Good Guys with Herb Edelman sometime in the late sixties early seventies about a cab driver and I think a diner owner? alzheimers setting in these days so I cant be sure but I know there was a short run series...........

lisalouver Guest
    For some reason, I keep forgetting that Bob is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Six View Post
    Bob also did a post GI called the Good Guys with Herb Edelman sometime in the late sixties early seventies about a cab driver and I think a diner owner? alzheimers setting in these days so I cant be sure but I know there was a short run series...........
    That's funny you mention that - this forum certainly brings back a lot of memories. I actually saw a live taping of The Good Guys (they'd hand out free tickets if you were in the area), and it was very funny. God, I'd forgotten that. Only problem is, I only remember Edelman and not Bob. Maybe Edelman upstaged him....

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    For some reason, I keep forgetting that Bob is dead.

Probably because of "Gilligan's Island" which is timeless?

I still watch TAGS all the time and for me Don Knott's still seems alive and I always am forgetting he died.

ratkin638 Guest
    A long overdue bump for Bob Denver (Gilligan, Maynard G. Krebs), who would have been 74 years old today!

orionova Guest
    RIP, Bob.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin638 View Post
    A long overdue bump for Bob Denver (Gilligan, Maynard G. Krebs), who would have been 74 years old today!
    Nicely done Rat.....and Happy B-Day Bob

Have a good one, little buddy.

Rhiannon Guest
    Everybody else goes on about Gilligan, but I am stickin' with Maynard G. Krebs! I am undoubtedly dating myself, but Maynard was just the coolest, Daddio! I hope Mr. Denver has moved on to a place where he can play on with Gilligan's childlike innocence and Maynard's goofiness.

Taggerez Guest
    Everybody else goes on about Gilligan, but I am stickin' with Maynard G. Krebs!
    I'm with you on that.

WORK!?

Rest In Peace little buddy

Pat MaGroin Guest

Gilligans Island Scripts

Here are a couple of original Gilligans Island Scripts I own - "Topsy Turvy" dated May 31, 1966 and "The Hunter' dated August 26, 1966. There are notes on both of them, the most prominent on the cover of "Topsy Turvy" here.

Here is what I think it says on the "Topsy Turvy" Script:

Sc-7-p3-scenic crop landscape 2x
    Gilligan runs into tree -sees everything upside dn -
    takes cure sees dble -
    Head hunters capture girls - Howell - Skipper & Prof.
    Gilligan - cured by Prof be-fore capture - takes drink to natives -
    Natives fall for scheme - drink - think there is mob of angry people -
    after them and run from Island
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GilligansIslandScriptsTheHunter19660826.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	29432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GilligansIslandScriptsTopsyTurvy19660531.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	29433  

Pat MaGroin Guest

Gilligan's Island Cast Autographs

Here are autographs of the cast...

And a picture of Gilligan's Island drawn/signed by Sherwood Schwartz.

Name:	GilligansIslandCast.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	29435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SherwoodSchwartzIslandPicture.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	29436  

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    Here are autographs of the cast...

And a picture of Gilligan's Island drawn/signed by Sherwood Schwartz.
    Seriously wanting to rummage around Pat's collection!
    Regards,
    Mary

Pat MaGroin Guest
    lol, Thanks! I'm rummaging around it right now...

Pat MaGroin Guest

Bob Denver Didn't Send My Picture Back

Back in 1993, Bob Denver/Gilligan was making the rounds, hawking his book 'Gilligan, Maynard and Me'. He came to a local Waldenbooks (McLean, VA) so I went there and bought around 20 books to have autographed and then gifted to friends and family. While I was meeting him, I asked if I could have a picture taken with him - he obliged. I made an 8x10 of the picture and mailed it to him, with a SASE, a sharpie and a newspaper article about his visit (that I was quoted in, lol) for his archives. Much to my dismay, I never received a response.
    He also appeared to be a little out of it at the time - I had written down something that I wanted him to write in my brother's book (whose wife was expecting their first child) and he got it wrong. I wanted him to write "Why don't you name the baby 'Gilligan'" but he wrote "Hi to baby Gilligan" Whatever...
    Anyway, here's his autograph on a post card...

Name:	BobDenver.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	29489  
    Last edited by Pat MaGroin; 01-04-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Pat MaGroin Guest

Meeting Bob Denver - Waldenbooks November 24, 1993

Here is a book I had signed by Bob Denver at Waldenbooks in Tysons Corner Mall in McLean, Virginia on November 24, 1993.

Name:	BobDenverWaldenBooks19931124.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	29657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GilliganMaynardAndMeCover19931124.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	29658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BobDenverWaldenBooks19931124Autographed.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	29659  

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Seriously wanting to rummage around Pat's collection!
    Regards,
    Mary
    Me too! I would be happy as a kid in a toy store going through Pat's stuff! Love your collection.
    Cindy

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Me too! I would be happy as a kid in a toy store going through Pat's stuff! Love your collection.
    Thanks! I've almost got all the autographs up here. I'll do some props soon...