Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Famous people who died young or too soon

SuckMyKiss Guest

Famous people who died young or too soon

Or do any of you feel that stars like James Dean e.t.c. that died wayyy before most of us were born, and died young just don't same real?? When I say real I mean, in the way that they are such icons it's almost like they never really existed, they are just some magical fictional character that someone made up? Because most of us never experienced them being...well, alive. I think it's because they never grow old, for me. How they are forever young, but never forgotten. They almost become a charicature of themselves. Maybe I'm weird. I just often wondered if anyone ever felt the same?

Hi. Btw. I'm new Lol.

HeatherB Guest
    Hi, I'm new too, and I think what you are saying is interesting. I think I get what you are trying to say, but I think that it's easy to still enjoy them, as if they were alive...Watch their movies.
    I was born in 1980. A lot of the stars on FAD died before I was born, or were famous before I was born, but that (for me) doesn't change anything.
    I agree that certain stars just become "charicatures" of themselves but I think that the "ever lasting fame" and the "never growing old" is the idea behind why a lot of people want to be famous to begin with. I mean, who wouldn't LOVE to be remembered as this totally glamorous, gorgeous, talented person 100 years after they die?! I'd be ok with it, that's for sure!
    I dunno...Just my 2 cents.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Oh totally. I don't mean that I enjoy them any less. If anything when I watch films with James Dean/Marylin Monroe in for example, it makes it even more...magical in a way.

And I agree, I could think of nothing better than to be remembered in that way. To be forever young would be amazing.

HeatherB Guest
    Forever young....*Sigh*....LOL!
    I think that fame back before the 80's fame was way more glam! I mean, there was more of a mystery to the lives of the "beautiful people" and I think that is what made some of them interesting...These days you know (or you can know) everything about pretty much any celeb you want...While that makes them seem more real, it's also a problem...When they seem more real, there is less fantasy to be had, so it's not as much fun...Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's just me...
    But forever young...Yes please!

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I don't think any ''stars'' these days will be remembered like the old school stars are. I mean nowadays you can get famous for absolutely nothing. I mean take Paris Hilton for example. (barf)

HeatherB Guest
    I don't know...I think there are some I mean take Julia Roberts, for example...Or Nicole Kidman, Gwenyth Paltrow, Hellen Mirren, Anne Hathaway and many more! I think that they will be remembered just as the greats from the "old days"...
    The real truth is though (in my opinion anyways) that a person who is famous, will often become more or less famous later on, depending on how they died.

I don't know that Marylin Monroe would have garnered the following she has now, if she had lived a normal life and died at 90.
    Same with Natalie Wood. They were great at what they did and beatiful and would have of course, been remembered as greats, but I think the manner of their deaths made them more famous and more revered than they would have normally been...Again, that's just my opinion...I could be totally wrong...We'll never know.

PS-You're right...Paris Hilton and those "famous for being famous" idiots all make me want to puke as well. Whatever happened to needing TALENT to be famous? Or at least a skill beyond the ability to have sex with a lot of diseased people and the fantastic skill of being able to snort more lines of coke than anyone else!?! These people need to be protested! They are destroying TV, movies, music and my sanity! LOL!

hoxharding Guest
    James Dean was a human being with human emotions. Yet, the image of him now is very unreal. His picture is pasted on a local car lot! They have this whole 'fun 1950's
    theme'

alexmack Guest
    I think so much of the way we feel about these people is because of the way they passed. Tragically.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    James Dean was a human being with human emotions. Yet, the image of him now is very unreal. His picture is pasted on a local car lot! They have this whole 'fun 1950's
    theme'
    That is one thing that really pisses me off. How the images of them are used for cheap advertising. Just because it's such an iconic image. People feel like they OWN it. Because to a lot of people they are just a picture and not a real person.

different kind of girl Guest
    I know what you're saying, I think. They are all huge stars, yet I have zero connection to them really. I'm not as fascinated by them as I am celebs who die that I feel "connected" to, yet I appreciate them for being the mega legends they are.

I feel your pain all the time. I think, if I could have been born 20-30 years before I was (in 1970) that would have been sweet! To have seen Elvis or Judy, Patsy, ect. They are such icons they don't seem real.
    Welcome to the board guys! Join us old timers in the chat room!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

orionova Guest
    I would love to have my own time machine. I'd go back in time and attend the premier of Gone With The Wind and Rebel Without A Cause, meet Carole Lombard and Kate Hepburn, then come home again to my modern conveniences.

RubySlippers Guest
    For me, I wish I could have met James Dean. I have read almost everything there is on him. All I would want to do is *save* him. I mean, he needed a Mommy, but I kinda feel like I coulda loved him and kept him from destroying himself. He was a very lost man... constantly changing, retreating, lashing out. He never was able to find himself. He was never given that chance. Perhaps he wanted that way. These stupid people painting pictures of him, using him for marketing and advertisement. They don't even know, they don't even care who he was. *SIGH*

mommafreak Guest
    I would of loved to have met the classic stars. Gable, Lombard, Rita Hayward, Mansfield, Monroe, just seems like real hollywood, before it got all contaminated.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafreak View Post
    I would of loved to have met the classic stars. Gable, Lombard, Rita Hayward, Mansfield, Monroe, just seems like real hollywood, before it got all contaminated.
    Hollywood has always been contaminated. But the media and our desire to find out the gossip has brought it all out in the open. Now there is no air of mystery...garbage is not shielded by glamour.
    Lingerie serves the same purpose.

Lobsters Guest
    I agree. I'd give anything to just be a fly on the wall back in the real glamour Hollywood days.

Just to be there.!!! Plus, when they did a scandal...they did it RIGHT. LOL

Not like today! Who cares if Paris made a sex tape for god's sake!

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    i feel the same way as u suckmykiss, sometimes it seems like there is awhole lot more magic to the ones who are "icons" rather than regular folks. i guess that what gives them their distinction. james dean, elvis presley, marilyn monroe, they were all dead before i was born, but growing up, seeing them on tv, reading baout them, and hearing about them, i think i spent the better part of my childhood believing that they were still around. its funny how that works. here in the south, u can travel way back in the mountains and find backwoods, hillbillys who have everything elvis or james dean. some of the "immortal" stars, have that ability to stretch beyond one genre to the next. i am 28 yrs old, but i still like stars who died way before i was born.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafreak View Post
    Agreed!!

akcheckrtr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by different kind of girl View Post
    I know what you're saying, I think. They are all huge stars, yet I have zero connection to them really. I'm not as fascinated by them as I am celebs who die that I feel "connected" to, yet I appreciate them for being the mega legends they are.
    He was so damn hottt! I would have loved to have done naughty things to him and with him!!

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]The way I've come to look at it is - the whole icon thing revolves around fame, youth and (real or imagined) talent. A premature death occurs and everyone feels the loss of what they are certain was huge potential. So instead of letting it go they (fans, media, writers, friends, etc.) collectively start to build them up in their minds - kind of filling in the blanks. In a few years, the world has basically lost track of the person and a whole new creation has emerged...forever beautiful, young and in his/her prime but with only a resemblance to the original.[/SIZE]

StricklandFOREVER Guest
    I have love to read or learn more about "forever young" actors. I agree to what ya'll are saying about "do not seem real." Actors like David Strickland, Jonathan Brandis seem to peak my interest and hold some kind of forever value to me. I worked with David Strickland months before he killed himself on a movie called "Forces of Nature." He was real and I can still remember his laugh.........young people who kill themselves makes me want to learn more..try to understand what would make them do such a awful thing. Try and Understand, but sometimes I wonder if they really want us to! Life cut so short for no reason. Strickland was 29 when he killed himself and I was 22...I am 31 now. Time goes by and they will forever look the same.

Hi Everyone I am knew too!

viridescence Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Hollywood has always been contaminated. But the media and our desire to find out the gossip has brought it all out in the open. Now there is no air of mystery...garbage is not shielded by glamour.
    Sure has. Just read Hollywood Babylon (great book, btw). All kinds of depraved, freaky things were going on even in the earliest days of the film industry -- but a lot of stuff was just whispered about & sanitized by the media instead of being plastered all over the tabloids and TV like it is now.

Snoopy Guest
    I agree it's the way they died and how young and beautiful they were and that's the image that will remain that fascinates..I have always been fascinated by James Dean and he only made 3 (I think that's it) movies and he's a legend. There is this picture that I would kill to get a copy of..it's of Marilyn Monroe..James Dean..I believe Humphrey Bogart and I can't remember who else..all sitting together drinking coffee at the counter in a fifties Dlike diner..perfect image of how we all remember them!

BeeCee Guest

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

That's Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Gottfried Helnwein....a parody of an earlier painting - Night Hawks by Edward Hopper. I like it too and once had a small print of it. You can find it on Art.com.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Simply put today's Hollywood...sucks!

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeCee View Post
    That's Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Gottfried Helnwein....a parody of an earlier painting - Night Hawks by Edward Hopper. I like it too and once had a small print of it. You can find it on Art.com.
    Thanks so much BeeCee..that's exactly the one!

attackatdawn Guest

Famous people who have died young

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...who_died_young

This is a list of famous people who have died before the age of 40, who were historical figures or celebrities known for other reasons than their death

monhol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...who_died_young

This is a list of famous people who have died before the age of 40, who were historical figures or celebrities known for other reasons than their death
    wow that was deep. i even saw DJ scott La rock on the list. i remember when he was killed. i had just had my daughter and she is now 20. time goes by so fast. for those who do not know, he was with boogie down productions. they did rap. KRS ONE was the front man.

Danse Macabre Guest
    Very interesting list. Thanks!

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    Or do any of you feel that stars like James Dean e.t.c. that died wayyy before most of us were born, and died young just don't same real?? When I say real I mean, in the way that they are such icons it's almost like they never really existed, they are just some magical fictional character that someone made up? Because most of us never experienced them being...well, alive. I think it's because they never grow old, for me. How they are forever young, but never forgotten. They almost become a charicature of themselves. Maybe I'm weird. I just often wondered if anyone ever felt the same?

Hi. Btw. I'm new Lol.
    I feel that way about historical figures like Abraham Lincoln and the Christ.
    I wish I had known both of these people!
    But it's like they aren't real even though I know they did exist.
    Because they existed so long ago!
    The same with Christoper Columbus.
    What is really strange is will we ever meet them alive?
    Wouldn't that be cool?

RubySlippers Guest
    "What is really strange is will we ever meet them alive?
    Wouldn't that be cool?"
    Moon Rabbit

I always think that...but for example, James Dean (I only choose him because he is the one I know most about) was a very, very moody and volatile man. I can totally see myself walking up to him and introducing myself and he blow me off, Or say something rude. I would be HEARTBROKEN! Sometimes immortality is better left immortal.

I guess that can be said for movie stars today...I LOOVE Justin Timberlake but heard he is a real ASS when people approach him. It would really piss me off to learn the people I really admire are jerks in real life...

ratkin638 Guest
    Well, here's my chance to play Devil's Advocate. What makes everyone assume that James Dean would have continued to be a star if he had lived? He had three impressive movies right in a row, and then flamed out. Who's to say that he would have continued to be a star? Maybe we saw everything he had in those movies.

Before you all jump on me, look at Marlon Brando. He had a bunch of big movies that established a huge reputation. But look at what happened after that - a string of not-so-hot movies for over 15 years, until he hit the top again with The Godfather. Anyone want to argue that "A Countess From Hong Kong" or "Candy" or even the infamous "Last Tango in Paris" were wonderful movies?

Maybe James Dean died right on cue.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin638 View Post
    Well, here's my chance to play Devil's Advocate. What makes everyone assume that James Dean would have continued to be a star if he had lived? He had three impressive movies right in a row, and then flamed out. Who's to say that he would have continued to be a star? Maybe we saw everything he had in those movies.

Before you all jump on me, look at Marlon Brando. He had a bunch of big movies that established a huge reputation. But look at what happened after that - a string of not-so-hot movies for over 15 years, until he hit the top again with The Godfather. Anyone want to argue that "A Countess From Hong Kong" or "Candy" or even the infamous "Last Tango in Paris" were wonderful movies?

Maybe James Dean died right on cue.
    Being in love with all that is James Dean - I couldn't agree with you more.

ratkin638 Guest
    Damn. How am I supposed to make trouble if you go and agree with me? ? ?

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin638 View Post
    Damn. How am I supposed to make trouble if you go and agree with me? ? ?

i don't rile easily...i'm a so cal girl.

Noelle Page Guest
    It really is a curious phenomenon.....to be pure magic onscreen, as James Dean truly was....and then pfffft......but captured forever, at your peak, for people to experience forever.

Neat-o!

Overtaxed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckMyKiss View Post
    I don't think any ''stars'' these days will be remembered like the old school stars are. I mean nowadays you can get famous for absolutely nothing. I mean take Paris Hilton for example. (barf)
    All Paris Hilton is a hard-partying, empty-headed whore, who's famous only because of her last name and lives for the spotlight, and gets it because of well-paid publicists who make sure her face stays in the press.

Being a "star" connotes having some sort of acting talent.

38. 10-26-2008, 11:04 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate post

RogerV Guest
    <<Getting up from rocker, tottering across the room with my cane, easing myslef into the computer chair, adjusting glasses>>

Hard to believe I've come to being an "elder statesman" of sorts, but time moves on, no matter what you do to try to stop it. I was born nine months after James Dean's untimely demise, and while I was alive when Marilyn Monroe died, I certainly don't remember her. I DO remember when Elvis died (he seemed "old" to me at the time - 42), but I couldn't stand him, and shed no tears.

One thing to keep in mind about the "Golden Age of Hollywood" (the 1930's & 1940's) is that it was MUCH easier for the studios to control the images and public personnas of their stars. While the mass media did exist, radio and newswire circuits were far too expensive to tie up with gossip about movie stars. Newsreel cameras and their accompanying equipment (mostly batteries) weighed a ton, and used 35mm movie film which had to be developed, edited, printed, and then distributed to theaters.

Hollywood did still get a lot of coverage, but it was definitely "second tier" news for the most part, and consisted largely of informaton fed to the media by studio publicity departments. Also, ordinary people didn't have the opportunity to travel the way they do now, and when they did visit California, they weren't carrying digitial cameras and camera phones. All this meant that the public saw and heard the things about movie stars that the studios WANTED them to hear. As a result, I'm not sure even today we know what some of the stars were like in real life.

Beginning with television in the 1950's, development of the electronic media (already present to an extent in the form of radio) began to snowball. The introduction of satellies in the 1960's made possible worldwide broadcasting, and small format videotape in the 1970's meant it was no longer necessary to wait for film to be developed. By about 1990, the steady stream of advances in electronic media turned into a raging flood. I made the realization that the newsmedia was forever changed when, for the first time ever, I relied primarily on my computer for news when Princess Diana was killed in 1997. There have been plenty of further developments in the 11 years since then.

I guess the point of this ramble is that the stars of today can go almost NOWHERE in the world and not be in the public eye. Their human failings are photographed and recorded, then flashed around the world in a matter of minutes or even seconds. Largely for this reason stars simply aren't going to have the glamor of the "good old days."

Also for the same reason I don't think we're going to see many more stars who are more significant in death than they were in life, like James Dean and Marilyn Monroe.

I hope SOMEBODY is still awake after reading this ramble!

I feel that everyone who died before I was born seems unreal at times. Not saying that they never existed, but I know that weird feeling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Noelle Page Guest
    Nice post, Roger, yeah I miss all that mystery and glamour, too. I don't want the warts.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Interesting conversation, I'm glad this thread was resurrected.

My husband and I were just discussing this kind of thing with those actors that died young: have you ever noticed that a lot of times they were either really, really big, as in Elvis and Marilyn's case, or they were touted as the next big thing, like James Dean? My Jon-Erik Hexum was the same way. They were all impressed by him and thought he would be the next biggest action hero, or great actor. Then his life was cut short.

It's almost as if the world simply handle that much greatness, and they must have to die young. I know in reality that isn't true, but it seems like it.

Even Lincoln became pretty much everyone's favorite president, and he was cut down, too.

Isn't it strange?

Yeah, today's Hollywood is all about fame, not so much about being a good actor. *cough*Paris Hilton*cough* Back in the glamorous days of old Hollywood, the actors/actresses were under contract to behave/look a certain way when they went out. They never would've considered going out of the house without makeup, or looking like some of those dirtbags that look as if they never bathe. I read an article a few months ago about the run of male actors that leave the house with greasy hair, and clothes that make them look like a bum. With all the money they have, you'd think they'd take more pride in their appearance.

If I sat down and tried to make a list of current stars that were superb actors as well, I doubt I could count to ten.

At the moment I'm reminded of Gregory Peck's performance in To Kill A Mockingbird, or Spencer Tracy's performance in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, especially when he makes that speech at the end. Seriously, when have we seen a peformance of that level of greatness in the last 20 years? We really haven't.

Hollywood has gone to hell in a handbasket.

BooMom Guest
    Spencer Tracy's performance in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, especially when he makes that speech at the end.

That particular scene is in my top 3 of all time faves - I choke up evey.damn.time. I see it !

letty1970 Guest
    Dont you think people like River Pheonix and say Heath Ledger will be talked about in years to come like we still talk about James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. We will always be fasinated by popular artists that die young. That is why it is a talking point. The sad thing is, their work is usually overshadowed by their deaths. If im honest that is partly what drew me to this site, Im a nosey bitch who wants to know the ins and outs. Ver good thread by the way.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BooMom View Post
    Spencer Tracy's performance in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, especially when he makes that speech at the end.

That particular scene is in my top 3 of all time faves - I choke up evey.damn.time. I see it !
    Oh I agree. Great acting!

Slideshow: Celebrities who died too young.

Enjoy, there were a few I hadn't heard of...

http://cbs2.com/slideshows/20.509895.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Guest Guest
    Fantastic! Thanks

Armcast Guest
    Nice slideshow. Thanks for the post.

Good link. It says Brandon Lee was 32 when he died, though. Oops.

Thanks for that!

Tracyb24 Guest
    Cool slideshow!