Doodles Weaver on The Andy Griffith Show
    Born Winstead Sheffield Weaver
    May 11, 1911
    Los Angeles, California, United States
    Died January 17, 1983 (aged 71)
    Los Angeles, California, United States
    Other name(s) Doodles Win Weaver
    Winstead Weaver

Winstead Sheffield "Doodles" Weaver (May 11, 1911 – January 17, 1983) was an American comedian on radio and television. He was the brother of NBC-TV executive Sylvester "Pat" Weaver and the uncle of actress Sigourney Weaver.C

Biography

Born in Los Angeles, Weaver attended Stanford University, where he was a contributor to the Stanford Chaparral humor magazine. After he signed on as a member of Spike Jones's band, the City Slickers, in 1946, he was heard on Jones's 1946-49 radio shows. He toured the country with the Spike Jones Music Depreciation Revue until 1951. The radio programs were often broadcast from cities where the Revue was staged.

His satire of horse race announcers (William Tell Overture) received continual airplay ("It's Girdle in the stretch! Locomotive is on the rail! Apartment House is second with plenty of room! It's Cabbage by a head!"), segueing into an impression of the gravelly-voiced Clem McCarthy, who forgets whether he's covering a horse race or a boxing match. The race features an apparent nag called "Feetlebaum", who begins at long odds, runs almost the entire race a distant last--and yet suddenly emerges as the winner. Weaver also portrayed a character in the Jones troupe called Professor Feetlebaum. Part of the Professor's schtick was mixing up words and sentences in various songs and recitations, as if he were suffering from myopia and/or dyslexia.

Suicide

He took his own life on January 17, 1983 with a gun. Rudy Vallee delivered the eulogy.

Madness

Weaver was a contributor to the early Mad, as described by Time's Richard Corliss:
    Among the funny stuff: Doodles Weaver's strict copyediting of the Gettysburg Address, advising Lincoln to change "fourscore and seven" to eighty-seven ("Be specific"), noting that there are six "dedicates" ("Study your Roget"), wondering if "proposition" isn't misspelled and, finally exasperated, urging the writer to omit "of the people, by the people, and for the people" as "superfluous."

Films and TV

Appearing on The Colgate Comedy Hour, Weaver did an Ajax cleanser commercial with a pig, and the audience reaction prompted the network to give him his own series. In 1951, The Doodles Weaver Show was NBC's summer replacement for Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shows, telecast from June to September with Weaver, his wife Lois, vocalist Marion Colby and the comedy team of Dick Dana and Peanuts Mann. The show's premise involved Doodles dealing with an assignment to stage a no-budget television series using only the discarded costumes, sets and props left behind by more popular network TV shows off for the summer.

He also hosted several children's television shows. In 1965, he starred in A Day with Doodles, a series of six-minute shorts sold as alternative fare to cartoons for locally hosted kiddie television programs. Each episode featured Weaver in a first-person plural adventure (e.g., "Today we are a movie actor"), portraying himself and, behind false mustaches and costume hats, all the other characters in slapstick comedy situations with a voiceover narration and minimal sets. The ending credits would invariably list "Doodles .... Doodles Weaver" and "Everybody Else .... Doodles Weaver".

He portrayed eccentric characters in guest appearances on such TV shows as Batman, Land of the Giants, Dragnet 1967 and The Monkees. He appeared in more than 90 films, including The Great Imposter (1961), Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (1963) and Jerry Lewis' The Nutty Professor (1963). His last movie was Under the Rainbow (1981).

In 1966, Weaver recorded a novelty version of "Eleanor Rigby" -- singing, mixing up the words, insulting and interrupting, while playing the piano, injuring his hand and getting booed.

Weaver's book, Golden Spike, remains unpublished.

The four DVD collector's boxed set, Spike Jones: The Legend, was released October 30, 2007. It features Weaver's appearances on 1951-52 Spike Jones TV specials.

Quotations
    "On the radio this year I hope to score / With some funny jokes you've never heard before / I resolve not to tell a corny joke / [phone rings] Hello, what's that? The church burned down? Holy smoke!" (From "Happy New Year," available on various Christmas novelty CDs)
    "A man came up to me today and said, 'Doodles, your hair is getting thin," and I said, "Well, who wants fat hair"?" (From "The Man on the Flying Trapeze" on the CD The Best of Spike Jones, RCA, 1967. The antics of Doodles and "Feitlebaum" are also to be found on this Best of... album.)
    "(A man said) 'Doodles... did you put the cat out?' I said, 'I didn't know he was on fire.'" (op cit).
    (In a motor race at Indianapolis): "Every eye is glued onto that car. It looks very funny with all those eyes glued on it." (From "Dance of the Hours," ibid).

Wow.. I just can't seem to place Doodles Weaver at all...? And he was in some pretty memorable movies... Loved "The Birds "... Niece: Sigourney Weaver .. Love her!!
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post

His satire of horse race announcers (William Tell Overture) received continual airplay ("It's Girdle in the stretch! Locomotive is on the rail! Apartment House is second with plenty of room! It's Cabbage by a head!"), segueing into an impression of the gravelly-voiced Clem McCarthy, who forgets whether he's covering a horse race or a boxing match. The race features an apparent nag called "Feetlebaum", who begins at long odds, runs almost the entire race a distant last--and yet suddenly emerges as the winner.

satire of horse race announcers

I think the horse's name is Beetlebaum, not Feetlebaum...

Guest Guest
    Thanks Ophelia

Jaxxx Guest
    well, I remember him, I think I must be older then dirt lately because I know most of Vlad's people

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    well, I remember him, I think I must be older then dirt lately because I know most of Vlad's people
    Not necessarily, I am youngish but a movie star buff!

lobosco107 Guest
    I remember him too. It is sad he died via suicide. He was a great musical comedian!

lobosco107 Guest
    some more on him...

Date of Birth

11 May 1911, Los Angeles, California, USA

Date of Death

17 January 1983, Los Angeles, California, USA (suicide)

Birth Name

Winstead Sheffield Weaver

Mini Biography

Well remembered at Stanford for his many pranks and practical jokes. Was occasional guest on Rudy Vallee radio program and Kraft Music Hall in the late 1930s and early 40s. Performed in clubs nationwide. He specialized in manic comic sports narrations, often using his friends' names as characters. Narrated Disney cartoon "Hocky Homicide" and others. Joined Spike Jones' troup in 1946, recording his horse and auto race routines ("William Tell Overture" and "Dance of the Hours." Developed a spoonerizing character for the Spike Jones Radio Show ("Professor Feitlebaum"), 1947-1949 borrowing heavily from 1930s comic "Joe Twerp". Toured with Jones' stage revue until 1951. Returned to Jones for various record and television projects thru 1964. Was early TV guest in 1940s. Also made many "Day with Doodles" silent comedy shorts for color TV in the early 1960s. Was very dogmatic that his famous horse character was Feitlebaum (not Beetlebaum). Was very approachable in later years, and loved to chat with his fans, even listing his home phone number in the Los Angeles directory.

Spouse

Reita Green(? - ?) (divorced) 2 children

Trivia

Brother of NBC-TV executive Sylvester L. Weaver Jr. ("Pat" Weaver).

Uncle of Sigourney Weaver

Mr.Weaver hosted his own daily kids TV show in The Los Angeles, California viewing area in the early 1950s. He also performed on a series of color silent film comedies for nationally syndicated TV, entitled "A Day With Doodles Weaver".

He (Doodles) told about being an undergraduate student at Stanford. He and some friends painted footprints up the side of the campanile and into a window at the top. The University was aghast, and immediately dispatched the cleanup crew, who had to rent a giant cherry-picker to do the paint removal job. Next morning, there were footprints leading down from the window to the ground.

Father was a well-to-do industrialist who founded the tourist-promoting All-Year Club in Los Angeles.

Because of his freckles and large ears, Doodles' mother nicknamed him "Doodlebug."
    Once had designs on being a school athletic director.

His biggest break as a comedian did not occur until his "Professor Feedelbaum" character caught on with the Spike Jones band on radio in 1948.

Was given his own summer series by NBC after he was seen in an Ajax commercial on the Colgate Comedy Hour sharing the screen with a live pig.

His local Los Angeles children's show "Doodles Club House" ran a couple of years in the late 1950s. He also hosted a kiddie show in San Francisco for one season.

His four marriages ended in three divorces and an annulment. Two of his brides were 21; the other two were 19.

Later life was marred by chronic alcoholism.

Suffered from major illnesses in his later years (from 1977 on), including a triple-bypass heart operation.

Son of Sylvester Laflin Weaver and wife Annabel Dixon.

Personal Quotes

"Nothing means anything when you're in pain. I have a nice house and an income but not a thing to live for." DW, in a 1981 interview
    "I don't miss being a star. I don't miss anything because I live in the now." DW, in a 1972 interview

Yes I remember his brother Pat was a past President
    of NBC who helped start The Today show and The
    Tonight show back in the early 1950s.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    thanks for posting this, vlad. this stuff is the reason why i come here.

oh, and the brownies are great.