Thread: Death Really Stinks - Jonathan Capewell

Danny62 Guest

Death Really Stinks - Jonathan Capewell

Death Really Stinks

Jonathan Capewell, 16, was so obsessed with smelling fresh that he would cover his entire body with deodorant at least twice a day. When his parents told him he was using too much and they could taste the stuff downstairs in the kitchen, he laughed it off.

He was found dead after spraying himself with anti-perspirant in his bedroom in Oldham, Greater Manchester.

Three empty deodorant canisters were found. A post mortem showed that his body contained 0.37mg of butane per litre of blood and a similar amount of propane. Only 0.1mg of either gas can kill.

It is believed the gases built up in his body after six months of intensive spraying. The death was thought to be the first from accidental inhalation in the country and there was no evidence to suggest that he was a solvent abuser.

Armcast Guest
    I swear I'd never heard of this happening before...great find and thanks for the post!

newsocks Guest
    whoa! weird!

Jane_Doe Guest
    Wish I had this story back in the days when my brother was a teen.

Jeez.

jeca Guest
    I've never heard of anything like that before. How weird!

PvN73 Guest
    That is soooooo odd! I wonder if this happens to someone who uses lynx and then the family sues for the lynx effect causing them to spray themselves conintually?

I used to work with a greek guy who would spray himself stupid with some Adidas spray - we called it his greek shower! I should warn him of this, might make him stop!

RoRo Guest
    why didn't the family get the guy into therapy for this obsession? strange

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Um...The hole in the ozone layer just breathed a sigh of relief that this guy finally bought the farm...

Lisamarie Guest
    God if only my coworker had this poblem....

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    yet another warning to add to the can

excessive use may cause death

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    HE may be dead but he smells PURDY!!!

Poor kid sounded OCD.

John Connor Guest
    One of my major pet peeves is at the gym when some dude sprays himself with some perfumey crap in a small space. Yuch. I let them know too. But I'm kind of a prick.

The signs were there with his obsession .. his parents must feel completely terrible and devastated .. I am sure there will be some label changes made now !!!
    There's more to the truth than just the facts. ~Author Unknown

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    The smell of aerosol deodorant these days makes we want to yack, it reminds me of locker room and dirty sock smell. That's crazy that something like this could even happen, who knew?

Jack'sGirl Guest
    I didn't know anyone really used aerosol deodorant nowadays. Couldn't he have gotten the same effect with a solid?

Of course, if he had OCD, things that seem to make sense to us might not to them. How sad.

We have a patient with severe OCD, and he's the nicest man. He's really compulsive about washing his hands, yet the rest of him, including his clothes, are filthy.

When he's done with his appointment, he literally fills up our sink with bubbles from all the soap he uses. Then he stands outside his car, and it takes him a good 10 minutes to work up the courage to open the car door and get in. It's so sad, we've offered to help get him in the car, but he refuses.

Death by deodorant. I have now heard it all.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

**Jenna** Guest
    Wow,that's too bad. Poor kid.

guardmom2008 Guest
    That is so sad. I wonder if some kids teased him about smelling bad and that is what caused his obsession, I would hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Poor kid sounded OCD.
    Yeah, I agree.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    One of my major pet peeves is at the gym when some dude sprays himself with some perfumey crap in a small space. Yuch. I let them know too. But I'm kind of a prick.
    Oh God I hate that also...or someone who doesn't have any deodorant on doing cardio next to you. I actually had to switch machines once the guy who got next to me stunk so bad....

To die, to be truly dead. That must be glorious. There are far worst things awaiting man than death.” --Dracula’s views on death. ...

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    To die, to be truly dead. That must be glorious. There are far worst things awaiting man than death.ā? --Draculaā??s views on death. ...
    And soooooo true!!!!

Chevyheaven Guest
    Did he not think about maybe taking a shower?? That might have helped his odor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    Did he not think about maybe taking a shower?? That might have helped his odor.
    Wierd that this was Britain not France.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Wierd that this was Britain not France.
    Don't they stink more in Britain? I remember my Ex Mother in Law was from Britain and deodorant was something she rarely wore!!! Fucking gross!!!

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    The kid OD'd on stank b gone? Who would have thunk it possible!

Desertrose Guest
    I guess there are worse ways to go. But, I have never heard of anyone dying from deordarant, I wish more people at least tried it.

kimba Guest
    I've heard of something like this before...
    only it was Lysol cleaner...no Dettol disinfectant! It happened in Britain and the guy was also OCD..
    he washed everything in dettol, even washed his hands constantly in it..
    and eventually the same thing happened. He died, of acute poisoning, because the chemical built up in his body..
    they say that the smell of the disinfectant in the house, overpowered the cops..and probably even masked the death smell..but I don't think he was dead very long before they found him.They found many empty bottles of the stuff in his flat..or house or whatever...
    My memory of this is sketchy, but I think these are pretty well the facts...
    yep- pretty well..cause of death was acute lack of oxygen to his vital organs..I'll post a thread
    Last edited by kimba; 10-30-2008 at 01:52 AM.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Don't they stink more in Britain? I remember my Ex Mother in Law was from Britain and deodorant was something she rarely wore!!! Fucking gross!!!

I've never worn deodorant in my life. I think it's gross.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I've never worn deodorant in my life. I think it's gross.
    *Sniff, sniff*...I was wonderin where that aromatic aroma was comin from...*sniff* Not bad Keeun...Kinda like lillies in the valley dude...

My boyfriend doesn't use it. I think it may come from his Army days. He just uses baby powder. Can't say he always smells super fresh when it is 106 outside, but to each his own I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

MorbidMolly Guest
    For shit`s sake, I didn`t even know that obnoxious crap was still around......roll-on for me baby....and Chevy`s right....kid should have tried and shower every now and then.....

Deodorant abuse?

Jeeze; I've heard of alcohol abuse; and drug abuse (same thing); well hell; I guess we shouldn't be too surprised; a woman died from drinking "too much" water a while back.

As for the English\French hygiene award; I read once that the English were concerned about the opening of "The Chunnel" between their respective shores because of the "smell" emanating from France.

I've met a number of French women; they smelled perfectly lovely; and they were perfectly lovely; though they did not shave their underarms; which I found strangely attractive.

I know too many filthy Americans; to say that the people of any given nation; have better hygiene than any other.

I once dated a girl; who I probably should have married...a "cow girl"; loved her horses; rode 'em hard; worked up a sweat...always smelled like a woman to me.

halogirl5 Guest
    Piss right off

halogirl5 Guest

Talking

As for the English\French hygiene award; I read once that the English were concerned about the opening of "The Chunnel" between their respective shores because of the "smell" emanating from France.

We were more worried about the rabies.

37. 10-31-2008, 05:56 PM
    Reason
    duplicate

halogirl5 Guest
    Also, could he not have been huffing? Seems far more likely. Especially if he was from Oldham (Sorry, sorry, Im going to hell)

tydtm Guest
    how ironic of a way to go.

stranger_than_strange Guest
    I've heard the BO basher super wash refered to as the pommy shower before but dying from it I think the reason the parents were smelling it is because the kid was snorting it not spraying it on his body in vast amounts.

kimba Guest
    My hubby never used deoderant or antiperspirant
    didn't have to
    and never stank either...
    ever.

it was weird and strange, but kinda cool.
    Maybe he had defective armpit sweat glands..I don't know

mcconk2 Guest
    to use an old chestnut - where does an englishman keep his coal? in the bath

Jack Raines Guest
    Shit, thats a fucked up way to die. Feel bad for the kid and his family.

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    Um...The hole in the ozone layer just breathed a sigh of relief that this guy finally bought the farm...
    kkkkkkhhhh!!! Kkkkppppfff!!! Kkkkkpppffffffftttttttttttt!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by halogirl5 View Post
    Also, could he not have been huffing? Seems far more likely. Especially if he was from Oldham (Sorry, sorry, Im going to hell)

that was my first thought when i read this story

STORMIE Guest
    How could anyone else tolerate being in the same room with him. If he was using that much spray on deodorant, he must have been obnoxious! Why not a shower, a little deodorant and maybe a touch of cologne. Surely that would have covered whatever smell he was worried about!

Heres another case of death by deodorant

Coroner said ample warning was given on the side of the can

Daniel Hurley, from Sandiacre, Derbyshire, was found collapsed in his bathroom by his father Robert Hurley after using Lynx Vice deodorant.
    Derby Coroner's Court heard that use of the spray in a confined space led to Daniel suffering a cardiac arrhythmia.
    Mr Hurley tried to revive his son but he died at the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham on January 12, five days after he was found.
    Mr Hurley told the inquest: "He was always putting gel on his hair and spraying deodorant and it was quite common for him to spray his clothing as well.
    "The bathroom is adjacent to the kitchen and I made some tea and shouted into the bathroom to see if he was OK.
    "I heard nothing so I shouted again but did not get a reply. I forced the door open and found Daniel in the bath."

I do not know how many people read the warnings about exposure awareness. But people need to know about the risks that these products have on the cardio-vascular system.
    Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner Dr Robert Hunter

Consultant pathologist Dr Andrew Hitchcock, who carried out the post mortem examination on Daniel, told the inquest there was no evidence he had abused alcohol or drugs.
    Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner Dr Robert Hunter said manufacturer Unilever provided adequate warnings on cans of the deodorant that large amounts should not be used in a confined space.
    He said: "It seems the presence of a volatile agent caused the cardiac arrhythmia. Daniel copiously used deodorant in the bathroom.
    "I do not know how many people read the warnings about exposure awareness.
    "But people need to know about the risks that these products have on the cardio-vascular system."
    He recorded a verdict of accidental death

Tracyb24 Guest
    Wow Strange.