Thread: Bruce Blackman

bunny Guest

Bruce Blackman

Remember awhile ago I was telling you about a young guy who shot his family, close to where I lived years ago...

Well I was chatting with a co worker and he had gone to school with this guy...I cant find anything on him...damn it! My co worker said this nut said that ACDC and Ozzy told him to kill his family, and Pink Floyd was going to save his soul...only his sister got away..she ran from the house when the shooting started
    I am still looking to fill you all in..

I'm looking.
    All I know so far is that he applied to ban the media from his parole hearing in 1993. Fail.

He's been a free man for some years. Two articles are on the way.

bunny Guest
    Really for some reason this co worker said he was still in the mental hosptial...

He was released in June, 1995.

Here's an article:

Vancouver Sun
    Saturday, June 10, 1995
    Page: A2
    Section: News
    Byline: KAREN GRAM
    Source: VANSUN

It was early morning on Jan. 18, 1983, when gunfire shattered the stillness on Spuraway Drive in Coquitlam.
    When Ed Field looked out his window, the neighboring Blackman house was ablaze with lights from basement to bedrooms.
    Field saw a man pleading for help as he was chased around the front lawn of the Ranch Park home. After falling injured to the ground, the man was pushed back into the house -- and killed.
    Inside, the scene was macabre.
    Six members of the Blackman family lay shot dead in various rooms. One was so badly bludgeoned, he was barely recognizable. Blood and hair were spattered on the walls.
    New Westminster coroner Diane Messier described the murder scene as one of the most shocking spectacles she had witnessed in 14 years.
    About 50 shocked neighbors gathered outside the home in the morning rain as police brought out stretchers covered with blue blankets.
    Dead were:
    * Richard (Blackie) Blackman, 50, an engineer who worked on Vancouver's fireboat. A Canadian navy veteran, he was a former chief engineer with the B.C. highways department and a former employee of Pacific Towing Services. The kind of man you depended on to get the job done, said his co-workers.
    * Irene Blackman, 49, who worked as a patterns clerk with the Province newspaper. She played tennis and badminton, went hiking, loved to garden and acted as the den mother for her son, Rick's, hockey team.
    * Rick Jr., 16, a student at Sir Fredrick Banting junior secondary. He was the only one of the children who still lived at home.
    * Roberta Lynn Davies, 28, the eldest Blackman daughter, who the previous summer had married John Davies, 39, a Vancouver record-company employee who had a young child from a previous marriage.
    * John Davies, North Vancouver resident married to Roberta.
    * Karen Dale Rhodes, 25, another daughter, who had recently separated from her husband, Curtis Rhodes.
    The night before the killings, the family met at home to discuss an urgent family matter. By 4 a.m. things had gone terribly wrong. Vancouver psychiatrist Dr. Harvey Breen answered a distraught phone call from Roberta Davies at 4:49 a.m. begging him to commit her brother, Bruce, to an institution. She told him Blackman was armed with a knife.
    Breen told her to call the police.
    But it was Ed Field who called them after witnessing the front yard chase. They arrived as Blackman casually walked down the suburban drive after slaughtering his family.
    Breen had prepared the documents to commit Blackman in December, but because the young man had not been considered an immediate danger to himself and others, Breen had not got a second doctor's signature necessary for the committal.
    Bruce Blackman had always been a friendly out-going person who played soccer and Frisbee with his friends, hunted and worked on cars in his spare time. But in the months before the killings, Breen said Blackman changed from a carefree young man to a ``paranoid schizophrenic.''
    According to court testimony Blackman was on an intense stone from eating and smoking marijuana.
    Curtis Rhodes testified Blackman had become obsessed with religion and wore a headband he called his crown of thorns. Blackman was found not guilty by reason of insanity of six counts of first-degree murder in B.C. Supreme Court Nov. 4, 1983.

death hag dee Guest
    Way to go Duster interesting read!

PJo Guest
    So...that kind of psychopathic-family butchering-music blaming mental illness just goes away??

Seems like even if he was released from the mental institution, he would be in a group home of sorts...or some other kind of consistant monitoring program.

What if he goes off his meds? Can this sort of disorder have a relapse? If this guy could do this to his own family during the height of his disorder...what would he do to the general public?

Quote Originally Posted by PJo View Post
    So...that kind of psychopathic-family butchering-music blaming mental illness just goes away??

Seems like even if he was released from the mental institution, he would be in a group home of sorts...or some other kind of consistant monitoring program.

What if he goes off his meds? Can this sort of disorder have a relapse? If this guy could do this to his own family during the height of his disorder...what would he do to the general public?
    That's BC for ya . Crazy fucker's walking free today. Screw it, I'm 3,000 miles away.

bunny Guest
    HEY HEY Duster hahaha can I come and stay with you...I know what you mean BC is so laid back it is sick...

When I was looking this up I saw some letters-to-the editor that said things like "he's paid his debt...he's had treatment...we should leave him alone," blah, blah, blah...WTF is going on out there on the Left Coast? LOL If it had happened in Alberta this loony fuck would've disappeared long ago

Nerak Guest
    I grew up in Coquitlam, and went to the same junior high school as the one son, Sir Frederick Banting, mind you about 5 years before him...I have never even heard of this story...my god it is horrible. Does anybody now where the psycho is residing now??

Unfortunately we're not allowed to know.

(And you went to school with Sir Frederick Banting? Wow!...okay i know - bad joke )

bunny Guest
    I just asked my co worker and he said that he is in 'care' meaning the nut house (oh do they still call it that) hahah

Nerak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Unfortunately we're not allowed to know.

(And you went to school with Sir Frederick Banting? Wow!...okay i know - bad joke )
    hahahaha ya I'm not THAT old! lol

Nerak Guest
    Oh man did I ever miss read that! hahaha I got 1995 from somewhere lol, so this happened when I was only 11, no wonder I never heard of it, didn't watch much news back then lol

bunny Guest
    you know B.C. Canada sure has kept this hush hush...really pisses me off...

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    you know B.C. Canada sure has kept this hush hush...really pisses me off...
    And this isn't the only one...Here's a list of BC's zaniest killers (And remember: Life in prison does not mean life. Some of these dickheads are I'm sure out and about) :

Tyrone Borglund
    One of two boys who murdered a family of four with axes in Mission in January 1988.
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1989.
    - - -
    Eric Peever
    One of two boys who murdered a family of four with axes in Mission in January 1988.
    - - -
    Kelly Toop
    Raped and murdered realtor Suzanne Seto in a Duncan motel in June 1980
    Sentenced to life in prison in September 1983.
    - - -
    Dale Merle Nelson
    Murdered five children and three adults in Creston in 1970.
    Sentenced to life in prison in April 1971.
    - - -
    Dean Roberts
    Murdered his wife and two sons in Cranbrook in July 1994.
    Sentenced to life in prison in November 1995.
    - - -
    Darren Huenemann
    Hired two friends to kill his mother and grandmother in an inheritance scheme in 1990.
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1992
    - - -
    David Muir
    Helped kill the mother and grandmother of his friend, Darren Huenemann, in Tsawwassen in 1990.
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1992; given full parole in April 2003.
    - - -
    Derik Lord
    Helped kill the mother and grandmother of his friend, Darren Huenemann, in Tsawwassen in 1990.
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1992.
    - - -
    Mark Chahal
    Killed nine members of his estranged wife's family in Vernon in April 1996.
    Committed suicide immediately after the murders.
    - - -
    Doug Holtam
    Murdered his wife and daughter with a hammer in their Mission home in October 1997, and tried to kill his son.
    Sentenced to life in prison in December 1999.
    - - -
    David Trott
    Murdered nine-year-old Jessica Russell in May 2000.
    Pleaded guilty; sentenced to life in prison in May 2002.
    - - -
    Terry Driver
    Murdered 16-year-old Tanya Smith in Abbotsford in October 1995. Also convicted of attempted murder, sexual assault, aggravated assault and robbery.
    Sentenced to life in prison in October 1997.
    - - -
    Shane Ertmoed
    Convicted in August 2002 of killing 10-year-old Heather Thomas of Surrey in October, 2000.
    His conviction is being appealed.
    - - -
    Clifford Olson
    Killed at least 11 children in Greater Vancouver between November 1980 and August 1981.
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1982.
    - - -
    Ron Pryce
    Killed his four children in North Vancouver in 1986, upset over the breakup of his marriage.
    Committed suicide at the scene.
    - - -
    Richard Glenn Anderson
    Provincial bureaucrat shot two co-workers in Kamloops in October 2002.
    - - -
    Brock Graham
    Former Vancouver police officer strangled his girlfriend, Patricia Grace Ducharme, in March 1996.
    Sentenced to life in prison in April 1997.
    - - -
    Bruce Blackman
    Killed six members of his family at his parents' Coquitlam home in January 1983.
    Found not guilty because of drug-induced insanity and committed to the Forensic Psychiatric Institute. Released in June 1995.
    - - -
    David Shearing
    Killed a family of six, including two young girls, in Wells Gray Provincial Park in 1982. Sentenced to six concurrent life terms in April 1984.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PJo View Post

Same old shit they pulll in CA. they put you on meds and turn ya lose and if you do not take them and kill someone tough shit (for the dead).. They cannot force anyone to take meds here.it is agains their rights lol..I wonder if it is against our rights to be murdered?? by a physco that doesn;t have to take his meds?

I always vote for the death penalty in these kind of cases..everyone knows that as soon as theyn get out of that nut ward they will stop taking their meds, and do this kind of shit again...so why bother wasting the meds..just fry this person and get it done with.

bunny Guest
    Oh my god Duster...I have to get out of this Province...Nerak are you with me...we are headed for Dusters house...

Oh my god Duster...I have to get out of this Province...Nerak are you with me...we are headed for Dusters house...
    Lots of room. Don't forget Kimba.

bunny Guest
    ok we are on our way...have to get out of this province damn it hahahah...When I was in Edmonton none of this shit would have gone on...but Vancouver my god!

Nelliebean Guest
    Why is he out? He should be locked up in solitary confiinement and be made to listen to Alvin and the chipmuncks.

I wonder what he'd glean from that cd?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Why is he out? He should be locked up in solitary confiinement and be made to listen to Alvin and the chipmuncks.

I wonder what he'd glean from that cd?

They locked him on the macademia ranch (thanks again, Sunny) but he had to be given periodic "reviews". At some point the shrinks decided he was cured. As if.

Haha...I'm liking the alvin cd idea though. A fate worse than death.

bunny Guest
    Oh come on Alvin is so cute...

Nerak Guest
    And this isn't the only one...Here's a list of BC's zaniest killers (And remember: Life in prison does not mean life. Some of these dickheads are I'm sure out and about) :

Tyrone Borglund
    - - -
    Eric Peever
    - - -
    Kelly Toop
    Raped and murdered realtor Suzanne Seto in a Duncan motel in June 1980
    Sentenced to life in prison in September 1983.
    - - -
    Dale Merle Nelson
    Murdered five children and three adults in Creston in 1970.
    Sentenced to life in prison in April 1971.
    - - -
    Dean Roberts
    Murdered his wife and two sons in Cranbrook in July 1994.
    Sentenced to life in prison in November 1995.
    - - -
    Darren Huenemann
    Hired two friends to kill his mother and grandmother in an inheritance scheme in 1990.
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1992
    - - -
    David Muir
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1992; given full parole in April 2003.
    - - -
    Derik Lord
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1992.
    - - -
    Mark Chahal
    Killed nine members of his estranged wife's family in Vernon in April 1996.
    Committed suicide immediately after the murders.
    - - -
    Doug Holtam
    Murdered his wife and daughter with a hammer in their Mission home in October 1997, and tried to kill his son.
    Sentenced to life in prison in December 1999.
    - - -
    David Trott
    Murdered nine-year-old Jessica Russell in May 2000.
    Pleaded guilty; sentenced to life in prison in May 2002.
    - - -
    Terry Driver
    Murdered 16-year-old Tanya Smith in Abbotsford in October 1995. Also convicted of attempted murder, sexual assault, aggravated assault and robbery.
    Sentenced to life in prison in October 1997.
    - - -
    Shane Ertmoed
    Convicted in August 2002 of killing 10-year-old Heather Thomas of Surrey in October, 2000.
    His conviction is being appealed.
    - - -
    Clifford Olson
    Killed at least 11 children in Greater Vancouver between November 1980 and August 1981.
    Sentenced to life in prison in 1982.
    - - -
    Ron Pryce
    Killed his four children in North Vancouver in 1986, upset over the breakup of his marriage.
    - - -
    Richard Glenn Anderson
    Provincial bureaucrat shot two co-workers in Kamloops in October 2002.
    - - -
    Brock Graham
    Former Vancouver police officer strangled his girlfriend, Patricia Grace Ducharme, in March 1996.
    Sentenced to life in prison in April 1997.
    - - -
    Bruce Blackman
    Killed six members of his family at his parents' Coquitlam home in January 1983.
    Found not guilty because of drug-induced insanity and committed to the Forensic Psychiatric Institute. Released in June 1995.
    - - -
    David Shearing
    Killed a family of six, including two young girls, in Wells Gray Provincial Park in 1982. Sentenced to six concurrent life terms in April 1984.
    Holy mother of God!!! where do you come up with this Duster? I'm with Bunny!! We gotta get out of this god forsaken province!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Duster, you I bet you can find some info about this. There was a woman in Canada who disappeared on her way to work. I want to say her name was Laurie and she worked in the health care field, a nurse, or aid, something. She had a Blazer, or an Explorer, some sort of small Sport Ute. There was a big media blackout. I think this was another husband/wife murder, but I can't remember ever hearing the outcome. It was probably within the last five years.

Rhonda Guest

Talking Being from Seattle

it totally disturbs me to know that there are crazy Canadians living just hours from my home town! Thank goodness I decided to move to Portland and put a few more miles between myself and those wackos. Thank goodness! I prefer to bask in the safety of Washingtonians Ted Bundy and the Green River Killer.

kimba Guest
    Lots of room. Don't forget Kimba.
    Hah..It's safer to live in BC!
    C'mon Duster, give us the Ontario list.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Duster, you I bet you can find some info about this. There was a woman in Canada who disappeared on her way to work. I want to say her name was Laurie and she worked in the health care field, a nurse, or aid, something. She had a Blazer, or an Explorer, some sort of small Sport Ute. There was a big media blackout. I think this was another husband/wife murder, but I can't remember ever hearing the outcome. It was probably within the last five years.
    I'm looking into it. Do you remember what province or city?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    it totally disturbs me to know that there are crazy Canadians living just hours from my home town! Thank goodness I decided to move to Portland and put a few more miles between myself and those wackos. Thank goodness! I prefer to bask in the safety of Washingtonians Ted Bundy and the Green River Killer.
    LMAO! Nicely done. (BTW, I forgot in that BC list the most gruesome serial killer of all: Pig farmer Pickton. Right Kimba?)

Quote Originally Posted by kimba View Post
    Hah..It's safer to live in BC!
    C'mon Duster, give us the Ontario list.....
    Oh Kimba. Nothing bad ever happens here in the big O. ** cough(BERNARDO)cough cough **.

bunny Guest
    Hey Duster I think the only Province that would have no murderdilyers (Ned Flanders) wouldd be PEI hahah

Hey Duster I think the only Province that would have no murderdilyers (Ned Flanders) wouldd be PEI hahah
    Yeah LOL Has anyone ever been murdered there?

elizabethgamlin Guest

blackman

He's been a free man for some years. Two articles are on the way.
    hi...in 1996 Bruce Blackman was out he lived in Victoria on Latoria Rd with cousin Wayne Bryce i lived in the same house as at that time i was Mrs. Bryce .he is a freak and the reason they let him out is his mental heath worker gave him H I V that doc killed him self because of that, he shot him self loser. ...Bruce changed his name to Bruce Moore that was his grand fathers name he move from Victoria BC to Comox BC to live with brother Barry Blackman....that was his identical twin ...he has one sister that he never killed because she was in the hospital having a baby at that time they call her kat..i hated living with him

33. 11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
    Reason
    that's what profile messages are for.

MBoudet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elizabethgamlin View Post
    hi...in 1996 Bruce Blackman was out he lived in Victoria on Latoria Rd with cousin Wayne Bryce i lived in the same house as at that time i was Mrs. Bryce .he is a freak and the reason they let him out is his mental heath worker gave him H I V that doc killed him self because of that, he shot him self loser. ...Bruce changed his name to Bruce Moore that was his grand fathers name he move from Victoria BC to Comox BC to live with brother Barry Blackman....that was his identical twin ...he has one sister that he never killed because she was in the hospital having a baby at that time they call her kat..i hated living with him
    Elizabeth, I'd love to chat with you about this if you have a minute. I PM'd you

MBoudet Guest

Sword and Scale Episode about Bruce Blackman

If anyone's interested, check out this new episode about the Bruce Blackman murders:

Sword and Scale Episode 1

Quote Originally Posted by MBoudet View Post
    If anyone's interested, check out this new episode about the Bruce Blackman murders:

Sword and Scale Episode 1
    I just listened to this podcast at the gym today (by chance, I just downloaded a bunch of true crime stuff, I'm pretty new to podcasts) and looked up the thread because Findadeath is actually mentioned in the podcast! It's a really interesting show, I only downloaded the first 2 shows but I am going to subscribe, it's really good.

As stated in this thread, they say he is out now, he has changed his name and moved several times, but it seemed that as of the time of the podcast he was living with his twin brother. Also they didn't mention anything about the type of music he was listening to, but did talk about the mental illness and drug use. He had some crazy ideas, like his family had to consume their own bodily fluids (semen or menstrual blood) to become closer to God, which he did himself.

It goes more into depth than this thread does, the only real note is that the podcast states that the sister who survived did so because she had been in the hospital giving birth (her pregnancy had been talked about earlier relating to Bruce and his ideas of numbers in his head), not because she ran away. (I just re-read the post from the cousin-in-law, which was the one mentioned in the podcast and see she posted about that.) It also talks about twin stuff, that he had been told he was a "mirror twin" so he would be the complete opposite of his brother, and his schizophrenic brain translated that into if the other was good he was bad or vice versa. His mother told a story about when they were born that one weighed 9 lb 6 oz and the other 6 lb 9 oz which probably just fed into this stuff and how it was related by his mental illness.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 09-17-2015 at 03:29 PM.

I just started the sword and scale podcast today and heard the forum get a shout out. what a disturbing case!
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Just listened to S&S and couldn't believe I hadnt heard of this. Do we know where crazy Bruce is loose?