View Poll Results: Is this Halloween costume over the top?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup, you are nuts, change costumes.

35 61.40%
  • No it is OK, it's Halloween but don't let kids see you.

10 17.54%
  • Good costume, OK to wear in public.

5 8.77%
  • Great costume, juvenile Death Hags have to start SOMEPLACE!

7 12.28%
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Halloween!

Lisamarie Guest
    me and my dog went as gangster molls last year I had a little hat starpped on her head..and a little pin striped outfit....and a tiny machine gun around her...it was sooo cute!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I dress up as a witch (not too far of a stretch haha) and my dog is my little sidekick dressed as a devil with devil wings, cape and horns. I will try to post a pic. He is soooo cute. I just bought it yesterday.
    My house is all done up for fall right now. Pumpkins, cornstalks, orange lights, scarecrows etc inside and outside. When Halloween gets closer I will put up all the monsters, skeletons, ghosts, etc around outside and put all my indoor scary dishes and candles around. I also put scary music in the bushes to scare the kiddies as they come to the door. Then when I open the door, I'm dresses as a good witch and I have my devil dog beside me. I pass candy out in a big witches basket. They love it

Rosa Moline Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    who can help me with a great cotume idea?? I do have this cute little black nightie I got for a weddiing gift its real hot and Im trying to decide what I could possibly do with it??? Any ideas???
    How about a Jayne Mansfield Hollywood sex-bomb type? I'm guessing that it's a shorty baby-doll type nightie? you've already got the beautiful platinum locks, so I would set them on rollers for big, bouncy hair, styled high & full on the crown with a big pink bow, accessorize with big diamante ear-rings and some high heeled pink fluffy maribou feather mules and maybe a feather boa? your little doggie could wear a pink bow and diamante collar? I'm trying to visualise a sexy sixties starlet if that helps!

As for us, we'll be spending Halloween in the USA this year! it is celebrated here in the UK, only more low-key, so we're really going to go for it this year...my son is going as a pirate boy complete with parrot, my daughter who's obsessed with Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight is going to copy his make-up and hair...I'm not sure if I will do dress up but if I did I'd love to go as Joan Crawford/Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest, wearing a blue robe, hair pulled back off face with a white towelling hairband, and of course face smeared in the obligatory cold cream and brandishing a wire hanger looking like a demented geisha girl or I'd love to go as Baby Jane Hudson

4. 09-30-2008, 08:57 AM

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    me and my dog went as gangster molls last year I had a little hat starpped on her head..and a little pin striped outfit....and a tiny machine gun around her...it was sooo cute!
    Lisamarie, I just bought this for Sasha Fawn I think I'm gonna go as hot sauce.

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    Lisamarie, I just bought this for Sasha Fawn I think I'm gonna go as hot sauce.
    That rules, you totally should be a bottle of hot sauce.

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    I was a villain last year, and walked around saying things like "exxxcellent" a lot. I have no idea what I'm doing this year yet.

Thatâ??s my official evil eye by the wayâ?¦.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corporate Villain.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	8377

Lisamarie Guest
    Lol!!! Loves it!!! Ooohhhh!! Im gonna have to stuff the hell outta my bra for Jayne!!! Lol!! But I think it will work!!!! Great idea!!! Love the evil eye by the way!!

redkatrampant Guest

Find Haunted Houses, Attractions & Halloween Displays

I thought this needed it's own thread..
    If the powers that be decide not, well ok then.

Find Haunted Houses, Attractions & Halloween Displays
    http://www.hauntedhouse.com/

I think we should post local links to.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    cool. neat website

go as Fred A. Scare!
    pull the string!

So what have you decieded to go as?

newsocks Guest

post SCARY/HALLOWEEN/CREEPY facts please!

so every morning i post fun facts/dumb laws etc on the kitchen white board at work.. . my coworkers LOVE it.
    for the month of ocotber i wanted to post scary or weird or halloween or creepy facts because i LOVE halloween and duh i am a death hag.
    the only thing is that i cant seem to find any good ones that are semi appropriate for work. the people are pretty liberal here but not TOO liberal so i cant just post DEATH facts without creeping people out.

you guys have any to suggest?

my fact for today was: "over 2500 left handed people are killed each year using a right handed product/instrument"
    now, they can be a bit darker then that but that was just today.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I'm not sure there are facts, but I was surfing channels about a year ago Sunday afternoon and ran across BD Hyman's show on one of the religious channels. So you know I stopped and listened to the whole thing. She's slightly more articulate that Sara Palin, but that's a whole other thread, but she has a commanding voice even if she stumbles over words and verse.

Anyway, BD was talking about how evil Halloween is and that "national statistics" reflect a significant rise in child abductions during October that are never solved. BD comments that it is witches and other Satan-controlled people kidnapping children for human sacrifice on Halloween, which is Satan's holiday and it makes her sick how children dress up for the day that is really a day that Satan worshippers sacrifice children. BD also adds that she has battled and sent demons from hell out of people they have possessed back to hell, and that demons in hell know her by name and fear her. For a fee, she can de-demonize you as well. Then she read a couple of letter from viewers that BD's prayers have helped them.

It's a cheesy set with her at an Early American desk with a hutch and fake plant behind her with baby blue carpet. She's quite heavy, but as she gets older, her face looks very much like her mother's. Her resolve on the evilness of Halloween is quite evident.

2Dogs Guest
    Here are a few I found, can't vouch whether or not they are true though.

Pumpkings were once believed to help eliminate freckles.
    Tootsie Rolls were the first wrapped penny candy in America.
    It's illegal to sell a haunted house in New York without informing the buyer.
    In France, more than 30,000 werewolf cases were tried between 1520 and 1630.
    Pennslyvania was the first colony to legalize witchcraft.
    At one time, there were public trials and convictions of animals for witchcraft.

RoRo Guest
    Why are the colors of black and orange typically associated with the holiday of Halloween? It is thought that orange represents the harvests, which Halloween actually marks the endpoint of the harvest. As for black, it is the color that is most associated with death.

It seems that the Irish played a role in the tradition of trick or treating. While preparing for the All Hallow's Eve celebration, Irish residents would pay a visit to their neighbors and ask for contributions of food so that they could hold a feast in town.

As far as celebrations go, Halloween is known as one of the oldest.

While Halloween and All Hallows Eve are popular names for the holiday, the celebration is also known as Samhain, All Hallowtide, The Day of the Dead, and the Feast of the Dead. As for the correct spelling of the holiday, it is actually Hallowe’en.

Starting on the evening of October 31st for some and November 1st and 2nd for others, Mexico and those connected to the culture have their own celebration that they call El Dia de los Muertos (or the Day of the Dead). On this day, family and friends gather to pray for the souls of friends and relatives, as well as to share stories of their loved ones.
    An assortment of traditions are associated with this holiday, which includes constructing private alters to honor the dead, creating skulls made out of sugar, decorating households with marigolds, and visiting the graves of loved ones bearing gifts (usually with the favorite foods and drinks of the deceased). For additional facts concerning this holiday, read " Day of the Dead Facts – the Holiday."

It is believed that if you ring a bell, you can scare evil spirits away.

Some believe that if you catch sight of a spider on the night of Halloween, it could possible be the spirit of a deceased loved one that is watching over you.
    Last edited by RoRo; 10-07-2008 at 03:59 PM.

newsocks Guest
    LOVE THEM!!!
    keep em coming.

Layla331 Guest
    According to legend, you can kill a vampire by running a stake through his heart.
    Candy corn is the most popular candy at Halloween. Stores sell thousands of bags of this delicious treat each year.
    If you see a bat on Halloween, it is a bad omen.
    Monster Mash is the most popular Halloween song of all time. It was released in 1962.
    Some people turn into werewolves on the full moon closest to Halloween.
    Black cats are known to be witches companions, but witches really use them for protection.
    A fear of Halloween is called Samhainphobia.
    The name Dracula means “Devil’s Son.”
    Spiders were once rolled into bread and fed to people who suffered from the plague or leprosy. It was believed that spiders could cure these diseases.
    Halloween is always celebrated on the 31st of October

kimba Guest
    When I was a kid, I thought candy corn was rotten witches teeth.

and that's a fact, Jack!

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    Those are great facts guys...I didn't know most any of that.

secretsquirrel13 Guest

Halloween Help Needed!

OK, fellow hags, I need some ideas. The apartment complex here is having a halloween decorating contest, judging will be on Oct. 28. We are decorating our decks, and the best one wins 150.00 cash!! That would be enough to make sure Monster Baby has an awesome first christmas and first birthday (Oh why did they have to be so close together, lol??).

Now, I am on a serious budget, But, I am wanting to make sure this deck is AWESOME so I am seeing any money I put into it as an investment. So far, all the decorations I have been seeing are your generic halloweem decorations from Walmart or Dollar Tree, but little originality. I want something much different!!

Here is a pic of what I am working with:

So far, I will be going to the woods behind my brother's house this weekend and will be cutting down some dead limbs. About 12 feet tall. I will stand them up and wire them to each end of the railing, hanging in towards the middle. I will be draping siderwebs in the branches and add a black crow to each one. I considered painting them black, but then any black decorations I put in them will get lost.
    I have some old sheer fabric that I am considering ripping and draping tho I cannot decide if I want to drape it along the back wall or from the deck above closer to the front. The light bulb will be changed to a black light, and I was considering a strobe on the floor in the center with something in front of it so its not shining outwards....

Then I just lose my creativity...please help!!!

Get a tape recorder or whatever and put some scary sounds on it to play over and over. SOFTLY. Dont want to piss off the neighbors. If you have a black light like you say, wont white paint show really well? How bout some disembodied cardboard eyes in the branches? Or a big grinning mouth with some white fangy teeth below the eyes? Will consider and add suggestions later. I want kai to have that prize!!

Sounds like a great project - I love Halloween. Dry ice is always a good affect and relatively inexpensive; any old dresses you could rip up and have flying around? or other old clothes you could stuff with newspaper and may be bloody up? If you were going to use one of the little black light bulbs, it doesn't do much. A green light can give a spooky effect, too. If you can get lots of pumpkins, all sizes, all shapes whether real or not and have them around randomly that could be fun. If there is a Goodwill store close, you can probably find crazy stuff in there. Wig heads are always good for things. Will it be breezy where you are? If not, an oscillating fan set low can move things around. Sound effects tapes/cds add a lot.

Good luck. Send pix when you're done!

I saw a pumpkin the other day with a huge mouth carved and they had put the seeds and innards on the ground spilling out of the mouth...like it had puked or something...toooo hysterical!!

I'd cover the windows on the back with black or foil so "normal" light and stuff inside wont spoil the effect. I am getting excited!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Just a quick thing here...the neon colored webbing is awesome. Comes in orange and green for example, it is AWESOME under a black light. It's a couple dollars per bag, but it stretches so far. 3 packs covered my entire living room.

Also, you could kinda go Blair witch and use those things from the woods like they did. Those are free, just cutting involved.

That sounds like a blast SS.

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Thank you!! I am writing all this down, lol!!

I have always loved this pic...but I don't think the apartment complex would like pumpkin innards all over the ground...could attract animals and such....

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Dear gawd...Doncha just love halloween?!?!?!? If I wuz close we would ROCK that deck...

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    Thank you!! I am writing all this down, lol!!

I have always loved this pic...but I don't think the apartment complex would like pumpkin innards all over the ground...could attract animals and such....

That's great! But someone would complain. I just saved that photo for future use next time I have a Halloween party

endsleigh03 Guest
    Here is that puking pumpkin, ughhh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pumpkin-vomit-jack-lantern-halloween-puke.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	8648  

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Just a quick thing here...the neon colored webbing is awesome. Comes in orange and green for example, it is AWESOME under a black light. It's a couple dollars per bag, but it stretches so far. 3 packs covered my entire living room....
    l have a hilarious mental image of your living room right now
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    O.K...I have no advice...I am makin my 4,000th post...I wanted to do it on Secret's thread...

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    O.K...I have no advice...I am makin my 4,000th post...I wanted to do it on Secret's thread...
    Congrats

You could make a scarecrow or creepy looking man or scary clown. Also, I saw some cute fake ravens at Walmart. Would be cute to set on the railing.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    l have a hilarious mental image of your living room right now

It looked great, and we ran everything into the back patio.
    The bad thing was, after the first party, I was broke because I went so over board. And I did the same thing the next year, cause with Halloween, it is never enough.
    For the third party I spent still more than sold it all at a yard sale.

BTW, that neon webbing is reusable.

katspjs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    OK, fellow hags, I need some ideas. The apartment complex here is having a halloween decorating contest, judging will be on Oct. 28. We are decorating our decks, and the best one wins 150.00 cash!! That would be enough to make sure Monster Baby has an awesome first christmas and first birthday (Oh why did they have to be so close together, lol??).

Now, I am on a serious budget, But, I am wanting to make sure this deck is AWESOME so I am seeing any money I put into it as an investment. So far, all the decorations I have been seeing are your generic halloweem decorations from Walmart or Dollar Tree, but little originality. I want something much different!!

Here is a pic of what I am working with:

So far, I will be going to the woods behind my brother's house this weekend and will be cutting down some dead limbs. About 12 feet tall. I will stand them up and wire them to each end of the railing, hanging in towards the middle. I will be draping siderwebs in the branches and add a black crow to each one. I considered painting them black, but then any black decorations I put in them will get lost.
    I have some old sheer fabric that I am considering ripping and draping tho I cannot decide if I want to drape it along the back wall or from the deck above closer to the front. The light bulb will be changed to a black light, and I was considering a strobe on the floor in the center with something in front of it so its not shining outwards....

Then I just lose my creativity...please help!!!
    Love Halloween and may I suggest something off the track you are on? How about hanging up a white shower curtain (cheap vinyl) with an outline of Mrs. Bate's on it? You could put a Bate's Motel sign up and play some sound bites from the movie (Oh God No Mother...the blood the blood, etc). My bathroom at home dons this look for Halloween and people just love it.....

You RAWK!

ksol Guest
    Dont forget to post pix when is all done

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Maybe not too creative, but I found some lights at the Spirit store shaped and colored exactly like candy corn. They're AWESOME, and only $1.00 a string....I have them EVERYWHERE!!! I think lights add immeasurably to any decorating scheme....

Quote Originally Posted by katspjs View Post
    Love Halloween and may I suggest something off the track you are on? How about hanging up a white shower curtain (cheap vinyl) with an outline of Mrs. Bate's on it? You could put a Bate's Motel sign up and play some sound bites from the movie (Oh God No Mother...the blood the blood, etc). My bathroom at home dons this look for Halloween and people just love it.....

I LOVE the shower curtain idea!!!

xenaswolf Guest
    LOL I hear a song...."Too much time on my hands" Grats!

I suck at decorating anything. Good luck and I hope you win!

frosty Guest
    there are a few sites out there with how to's etc
    heres one
    http://www.halloweenpropshop.com/
    check the diy section, and the links and forum for more

sunshine74137 Guest
    Oriental Trading Company has a lot of cool stuff to decorate with Back drops and stuff

Fujicakes Guest
    One thing you could do is have someone (or even you!) dress up as a body in tattered clothes and just sit motionless in a chair so that people will think you're a dummy. Someone comes close...BAM! Scream your head off and freak people out.

Another thing you could do that would be cheap would be to collect a bunch of leaves (just fallen, dried, doesn't matter) and just spread it all over the floor to give it that foresty woodsy feel.

Guest Guest
    love it!

Halloween is my favorite! Okay take your branches and place them like you said, do the spider webs etc, I would rip strips of the cloth and hang it from the tree etc, if you get a black light get a GOOD one not one from the dollar store they suck! Go to Spencers etc and get a good bulb, you know if you take liquid fabric softner and spread it around and do some sort of outline on your glass doors and window it will glow under the blacklight, just use a paint brush to apply it, I love the shower curtain idea but if I remember stage lighting from HS correctly with the use of a black light you would have to get a BLACK curtain and a white cut out of the person or all that will show is a white curtain if you use one the outline wont show...does that make sense?

I'm confused..I'll have a theatre friend straighten that out for me and get back to you

maybe some bats hanging from the limbs? I love the music idea and yes of course the strobe light, I'll keep my mind working on this I just love this kind of stuff

I decorated my porch and yard but it's the generic stuff, inherited a bunch of my mom's old stuff this past year, it's pretty bright over at my house this year LOT'S OF LIGHTS! I'll get back to you about some ideas

katspjs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    I LOVE the shower curtain idea!!!
    Thanks.....we are a sick lot at my house. The kitchen looks like a crime scene....LOL

RoRo Guest
    don't forget the old stand-by...styrofoam tombstones painted gray with witty epitaphs on them and yes please take pics!!!

I came back here looking for pics. When will you be done and judged? Pics! Pics!

Okay, I have no decorating skills to speak of so I can't offer any advice on this at all.... but.... You'll use your demented little imagination and kick some butt Miss Squirrely!! GO GIRL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    ok, well, I am going to write down what I am working with thus far....I will be doing it all today (hopefully).

I have the limbs picked out and will wire them up...I got some "torn curtains" from the dollar store and will hang those as a backdrop. once the limbs are up I will strip some of those white plastic shopping bags and tie them to some of the branches to blow in the breeze, then will play with some of the spiderwebs in the branches. I tried for the life of me to find the colored spiderwebs, but could not...
    I have a few of the styrofoam tombstones, just trying to figure out how to display them, probably will wire them to the railings so they face out, and I saw some bones at the dollar store I am thinking of getting and sticking one or two up fron the ground in front (Really wish I could find a hand, LOL). I am also going to make some of those Blair Witch decorations, have to put those together later, and hang them low from the branches, and pot a raven in each "tree". I am still looking for a strobe light...darn things are pricey, and I have the black light to replace the bulb on the deck...I also got some dry ice as well, but I will only use that one the 28th (judging night). I downloaded some creepy music and screams and will have those playing as well...As you see I decided to go with creepy, lol..as everyone else I have seen as I walk around here just has regular decor (Tho I would love to do it "fun"...I am going for effect and originality and want this prize, lol). I also am using the fabric softener idea....the sucky thing is the stupid railing...it gets in the way of anything cool I would like to do, so all my decor has to be railing or above...but I found a cheap rubber bloody hand that I am going to attach to a sleeve and have it coming thru the rails as well....like its trying to get out...
    Hopefully I can get all this done in the next 2 days...its hard since Monster Baby is attached to me 24/7 and cries if I am out of her sight for a minute...
    I will post pics soon..and a hearfelt thank you for the wonderful ideas!!

Mark Guest

Haunted Houses

I'm going to a few this weekend. There is one here in Denver called 13th Floor. Its $30.00 to get in. There are 13 floors, each floor being scarier than the other. If you make it through the 13 floors, you get your money back. Have never gone there before.

Anyone else into that stuff?