Thread: Bernard "Toots" Shor

jay Guest

Bernard "Toots" Shor

Bernard "Toots" Shor (May 6 1903 ?? January 23 1977) was the proprietor of a legendary Toots Shor's Restaurant in Manhattan.

Shor was born in Philadelphia to Jewish parents who owned a candy store. When Shor was 15 years old, his mother was killed by an automobile while sitting on the stoop outside their home. His father committed suicide five years later. Shor attended the Drexel Institute of Technology and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania before working as a traveling shirt and underwear salesman.

Shor went to New York City in 1930 and found employment as a bouncer at the Five O'Clock Club, which served as his introduction to celebrities. He later worked at several other nightspots: The Napoleon Club, Lahiff's Tavern, the Ball & Chain, the Madison Royale, and Leon & Eddie's.

He became a great man about town in Manhattan after opening his own restaurant at 51 West 51st Street. While the food at Toots Shor's Restaurant was known to be ??nuttin?? fancy? ?? standard American, sports-bar fare such as shrimp cocktail, steak, baked potato ?? the establishment became well-known for who frequented there and how Shor interacted with them.

Frank Sinatra, Jackie Gleason, Joe Dimaggio were among many celebrites who were regulars each evening at Toots restaurant

Shor was known for treating his celebrity clients like anyone else and was quick with a comeback. Charlie Chaplin, one night made to wait in line with everyone else to enter the restaurant. When Chaplin complained, Shor told him to entertain the others who were waiting in line. One day, Hollywood boss Louis B. Mayer complained about waiting twenty minutes for a table and said, ??I trust the food will be worth all that waiting.? Shor replied: ??It??ll be better??n some of your crummy pictures I stood in line for.?

In 1959, Shor sold the lease for his 51st Street restaurant for $1.5 million. The following year, he opened at a new location at 33 West 52nd Street and tried to emulate the decor and atmosphere of the original.

In 1971, authorities padlocked the doors of the 52nd Street restaurant for nonpayment of federal, state, and local taxes totaling $269,516. He vowed to open again in three weeks, but 18 months passed before his restaurant reopened. For a variety of reasons, however, his famous clientele never returned with their former regularity.

Shor died January 23 1977 of cancer at the age of 73.

In 2006, the biographical documentary Toots in which his granddaughter Kristi Jacobson profiled his life premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival. It took "Best Film" at the Baseball Hall of Fame's first annual film festival in November 2006. Toots will be released on dvd in the fall of 2008.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toots shor.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	8716

sweetie103 Guest
    interesting..i would see the documentary.

Armcast Guest
    That would be a pretty interesting documentary...I'd love to see it. Going to Amazon.com now...

jay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    That would be a pretty interesting documentary...I'd love to see it. Going to Amazon.com now...
    I think it comes out the 25th of this month

Here's the link for the website

http://www.tootsthemovie.com/

Interesting nick name. Hope it ain't for flatulence.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

RaRaRamona Guest
    LOL Clean

How sad that his place never took off again. It's never the same though, is it?

Same as it never was. Hard to get lightning to strike over and over.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

poppie Guest
    Today is Sunday, July 18, 2010. The documentary on Toots was just on Sundance cable channel. Very interesting and he was quite a guy. Totally fascinating and I would love to know the "good stuff" that was left out because of possible legal matters.

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

LemonPopsicle Guest
    Unfortunately for legal reasons a lot of cool/fun stuff couldn't be used. Great photos of people but they weren't with their wives in them, certain stories that a few (Now deceased) ball players' families don't want out there because they don't want that legacy/image out there because licensing is their only income.