Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Landon

Danny62 Guest

Michael Landon

I liked the guy...from Bonanza to Highway to Heaven. I think Touched by an Angel was such a rip off from Highway to Heaven.

What a way for the poor guy to go. I think he was skiing here in salt lake when he got sick and saw a doctor here before he was told it was more serious and to follow up in LA!
    Last edited by Danny62; 10-30-2007 at 04:08 PM.

Doug81506 Guest
    his last wife was from price, ut.

BamaDeathHag Guest
    I loved Michael Landon and I still watch Little House On The Prarie everyday....the movie that was made about him with John Schneider playing him was pretty interesting.

MorbidMolly Guest
    No doubt the man was a genuis when it came to tugging on the heart strings....some of the things I`ve read though, make him seem less than "perfect "....such is human nature.....I did dig him in Highway to Heaven, and yes, I agree, Touched by an Angel was a huge rip-off

Suzanne30 Guest
    I liked him best as Little Joe in Bonanza.

Cathy J. Guest
    Back in the late 70's I remember some TV special that Michael Landon appeared on. I think it was Marlo Thomas ( could have been some other female ) who asked what what his thoughts were on the then-current TV scene where Landon replied that the only show his kids were allowed to watch was Little House and if they were caught watching anything else he would beat them.

I SWEAR I remember this !!

Interesting that the biggest foes of TV/Radio and music are those who actually work in the business. I heard once that Madonna won't allow her kids to even listen to her old music, nor are they allowed to be near a TV or a radio. Odd !!!!

poppie Guest
    My roomie owned a small cafe in Los Angeles and Michael's Mother, "Peggy" O'Neill, was a frequest customer and subsequently, a friend. Peggy was very sad about Michael as he forbade her any access to his family. Peggy worked as a dispatcher for Yellow Cab in Los Angeles and was not given any financial assistance from Landon. His sister was given small parts in some of his projects.

epicentre Guest
    I remember watching this on TV about a year or so after he died, put together by his family and friends. Somebody uploaded it on YouTube last month. A nice summary of his life and work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI6osFbTVVk

Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    My roomie owned a small cafe in Los Angeles and Michael's Mother, "Peggy" O'Neill, was a frequest customer and subsequently, a friend. Peggy was very sad about Michael as he forbade her any access to his family. Peggy worked as a dispatcher for Yellow Cab in Los Angeles and was not given any financial assistance from Landon. His sister was given small parts in some of his projects.
    From what I read, his parents were pretty cruel to him growing up. So I guess that is why he didn't have much to do with his Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    He had some animus toward his mother. Recall that show he did (that was semi autobiographical) about a track and field athlete. It was a story about a young boy that whizzed in his bed which was something that Landon suffered from. Both in the story -and in real life- his mother would hang the sheets out on the balcony every day for all the school friends to see so he would race home every freakin day from school to beat his friends home and not be ashamed. Heartbreaking.

Ah IMDB, what a good friend you are....
    Show is called The Lonliest Runner and starred Landon as the adult character reliving his childhood before a track meet.

"A fourteen year old bed wetter runs home from school every day to retrieve the wet sheet his mother has hung from his bedroom window to punish him. He races to get there before any of his friends pass the house. This enforced training prepares him to become a competitive runner. The script, by Michael Landon, is autobiographical."

Reecy Guest

Unhappy

How sad. It's parents like that who shouldn't have kids. For me what pains me the most of Michael is seeing his last days on the Johnny Carson show. I still can't get him out of my mind. How he was able to go on the show knowing he was about to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    How sad. It's parents like that who shouldn't have kids. For me what pains me the most of Michael is seeing his last days on the Johnny Carson show. I still can't get him out of my mind. How he was able to go on the show knowing he was about to die.
    He had a great quote. He said not to feel sorry for him as he had 'a pretty good lick at life.'
    He really put it in perspective.

SlippyInvader Guest
    I loved Michael in the Little House On The Prairie..That was my favourite show when I was kid. I wish they'd show the re-runs again on UK Gold.

Captain Kundalini Guest
    I have heard that Mr. Landon was not a nice guy in Real life.

Irishlass Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kundalini View Post
    I had heard the same thing..my dad meet him while he was hospitilized
    with Pnememia back in the day. While my dad was trying to pray with him he said the phone rang off the hook with girls calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
    I had heard the same thing..my dad meet him while he was hospitilized
    with Pnememia back in the day. While my dad was trying to pray with him he said the phone rang off the hook with girls calling.
    Well, he did trade in his older wife for a younger model.

And let's not forget a kid him and his wife adopted, was given back.
    Last edited by Aries65; 10-28-2007 at 11:29 AM.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

I forgot about the adoption thing.....seriously not cool...

b57hrle Guest
    I really liked his acting, from Bonanza to Highway to Heaven....

epicentre Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Ah IMDB, what a good friend you are....
    Show is called The Lonliest Runner and starred Landon as the adult character reliving his childhood before a track meet.

"A fourteen year old bed wetter runs home from school every day to retrieve the wet sheet his mother has hung from his bedroom window to punish him. He races to get there before any of his friends pass the house. This enforced training prepares him to become a competitive runner. The script, by Michael Landon, is autobiographical."
    If you watch the YouTube documentary on his life which I mentioned earlier in this thread he talks at length about 'The Lonliest Runner' and the bed wetting thing. There was also a similar TV movie called 'Sam's Son', which had autobiographical elements to it as well.

There are also some classic clips of his legendary guest slots with Johnny Carson amongst all the Bonanza, Little House and Highway pieces.

RoRo Guest
    I liked him on all his shows, especially Little House. His youngest daughter, Jennifer I think is her name, stars on the soap As The World Turns and is a very good actress and singer

different kind of girl Guest

seriously? not nice at all.

Carrie Guest
    I like him too, but her drove my mother crazy. She would say, "why does he have to cry all the time?" (say that in a grumpy voice) lol

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    From what I read, his parents were pretty cruel to him growing up. So I guess that is why he didn't have much to do with his Mom.
    My ex-step dad used to manage the production at a TV station in the 70s and did annual telethons, it was an NBC affiliate (then, Little House on the Prairie was on, and on NBC). Most of the cast would come every year to the telethon. He told me repeatedly that Michael Landon was, bar none, the nastiest, most stuck-up, a-hole celebrity he had every run across, ever. Just vile and horrible to everyone. No Michael Landon on our TV!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    My ex-step dad used to manage the production at a TV station in the 70s and did annual telethons, it was an NBC affiliate (then, Little House on the Prairie was on, and on NBC). Most of the cast would come every year to the telethon. He told me repeatedly that Michael Landon was, bar none, the nastiest, most stuck-up, a-hole celebrity he had every run across, ever. Just vile and horrible to everyone. No Michael Landon on our TV!!
    Sounds as as if success, money and having women all over him went to his head. What an actor - putting on his "Pa" face for Little House, and his "do-goody-good" "Jonathon" face for that Angel show...

scarletfever1971 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    Oh no! That totally shatters my whole image of him. I never missed an episode of "Little House.." and (I realize this is solely based on his character on TV) he didn't seem to ever have an arrogant or mean bone in his body. So naturally, I think of him as TOTAL GOODNESS. LOL....

MoJo67 Guest
    I saw where he fired Victor French (Mr. Edwards) from LHOTP because he was offered to star in a sitcom called Carter Country (eventually cancelled). Michael was pissed and up and let him go, and they didn't speak for a time. Of course, the rift was forgotten eventually, and "Mr. Edwards" came back to Walnut Grove. Lest we forget the Highway to Heaven thing.
    I don't know if he was as much of a family man as he would have had us believe. He was a families man, I'm sure at least one of his ex wives would agree.
    Apparently, though, he must have been somewhat kind because most of his castmates just loved him. Who knows.

miamore73 Guest
    We still watch him on Bonanza on TV Land. Bonanza and LHOTP are classics. Not really because of him but just the content of the show itself.

Man now when I see Little Joe I'm going to wonder if he was really a nice guy or a big A Hole.

I think Adam Cartwright was the cutest though.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    On a different note, Melissa Sue Anderson was nice and so was Half-Pint, but Half-Pint had a controlling bitch of a mother who made everyone's life miserable. One had a hang-up about wearing white gloves, but I can't remember which one. Ma was pleasant but real dumb.

MoJo67 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miamore73 View Post
    We still watch him on Bonanza on TV Land. Bonanza and LHOTP are classics. Not really because of him but just the content of the show itself.

Man now when I see Little Joe I'm going to wonder if he was really a nice guy or a big A Hole.

I think Adam Cartwright was the cutest though.
    If my family called me "Little Joe" I would be an A**hole too. (j/k)

I wanted to agree with you.... Adam was definitely the cutest.

Kareika Guest

I do not know this story! Details?????

Quote Originally Posted by Kareika View Post
    He hooked with his young make-up artist on the set of Little House, dumped his wife and married her and they had a bunch of kids. She was his last wife when he died.

Doc Baker

I remember reading that he didn't like Michael Landon, at all. It was something to do with his salary, I believe.

Can anyone elaborate?

-K.

mike Guest
    His daugther Jennifer Landon plays on As the World Turns.

miamore73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kareika View Post

If anyone has any details on how he could/would give back an adopted kid. I'd be very interested in reading this too.

Was the child adopted just before he got sick?

Quote Originally Posted by miamore73 View Post
    If anyone has any details on how he could/would give back an adopted kid. I'd be very interested in reading this too.

Was the child adopted just before he got sick?
    Him and his first wife adopted the kid. When they split up, they decided to send the kid back, since they didn't want to put the newly adopted kid thru a divorce!

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I liked the guy...from Gunsmoke to Highway to Heaven. I think Touched by an Angel was such a rip off from Highway to Heaven.

What a way for the poor guy to go. I think he was skiing here in salt lake when he got sick and saw a doctor here before he was told it was more serious and to follow up in LA!

he wasn't on gunsmoke lol. (Bonanza)

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    he wasn't on gunsmoke lol. (Bonanza)

DUH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just fixed it.

Thanks for keeping me honest!!!

Kathyf Guest
    I always liked him in Highway to heaven. I think I did read he was kind of mean. I thought he was in a movie about someone where like sampson his hair was his weakness does anyone know?

1karenhb Guest
    Back in 1984 I worked at the Rancho Los Amigos Medical Center in Downey, CA. For several days an episode of Highway to Heaven was filmed on the grounds. Several employees I knew went on their lunch time to watch the filming and reported back that Landon was rude to everyone between scenes.

leevancleef Guest
    Him and his first wife adopted the kid. When they split up, they decided to send the kid back, since they didn't want to put the newly adopted kid thru a divorce!
    Now, thats awful.

I heard or read SOMEWHERE that he kept his LHOTP staff on salary through the hiatus so they would have money year round.

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJo67 View Post
    If my family called me "Little Joe" I would be an A**hole too. (j/k)

I wanted to agree with you.... Adam was definitely the cutest.
    Adam was the coolest of all of the Ponderosa dudes. Hoss was a good guy, too.

cherryghost Guest
    I used to watch Bonanza and then little house (which I was cynical about) with my dear polish dad, who liked him and died many yrs before Michael landon of hidious pancreatic cancer! Thats why I even add to this post! These men died before their time and maybe michael landon could have addressed his behaviour if he had time! They dont get anytime its a swift killer and we need to find a detection method and early cure! Not condoneing Landons behaviour tho, I didnt like him after "little jo" his ego came out badly in those TV shows I thought!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 11-16-2007 at 03:19 AM.

lisalouver Guest
    I knew he traded in his wife for a younger Lynn (his last wife) ahd she was actually rather homely.

I had no idea about the adoption thing. That is shitty.

I thought I read that Lynn, the last wife would not let his older kids see him before he died, or was giving them trouble about the will? I will have to read up on that.

I heard he was not a nice person in real lilfe, dunno if it is true or not, I know he and Melissa Gilbert (laura) had a close relationship. She is a shitty person though too. She gave up one of her kids to the Dad so she could marry someone else (Bruce Boxleighter, I believe) She looks like shit run over twice nowadays.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scarletfever1971 View Post
    Oh no! That totally shatters my whole image of him. I never missed an episode of "Little House.." and (I realize this is solely based on his character on TV) he didn't seem to ever have an arrogant or mean bone in his body. So naturally, I think of him as TOTAL GOODNESS. LOL....
    Same here! And in all the interviews I have ever seen of him, he comes across as a really nice person. And if you ever hear Melissa Gilbert talk about him, she has nothing but good things to say. I felt really sorry for him in the press conference where he announced his cancer.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kundalini View Post
    I heard he was a control freak. He and his first wife adopted a boy and then gave him back after he met this 2nd wife and left his first for her.
    This boy was old enough to remember that they had given him back and contacted Ml and he would have nothing to do with him,

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I knew he traded in his wife for a younger Lynn (his last wife) ahd she was actually rather homely.

I had no idea about the adoption thing. That is shitty.

I thought I read that Lynn, the last wife would not let his older kids see him before he died, or was giving them trouble about the will? I will have to read up on that.

I heard he was not a nice person in real lilfe, dunno if it is true or not, I know he and Melissa Gilbert (laura) had a close relationship. She is a shitty person though too. She gave up one of her kids to the Dad so she could marry someone else (Bruce Boxleighter, I believe) She looks like shit run over twice nowadays.
    They treated his kids from the firstmarriage like shit andI think they got zilch from his estate too

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    They treated his kids from the firstmarriage like shit andI think they got zilch from his estate too
    Thanks Nov. I thought I remembered it that way.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    i just hope thats not true....shit, to have idols as a kid and then learning things like this crap...