Thread: The party line!

onehunglow Guest

The party line!

Nope kids of the cell phone age. For us geezers we know too well the old party line. Very simple. Until the late 60's only the very rich had a private phone line to their home. The rest of us shared a line with as many at 12 famlies. In my case with 10 kids we didn't just use the phone. We had to ask permission. Rule of thumb was when the line was free you could use it for 3 minutes. If Dad broke down in the dead of winter he walked to a phone. with as many as 120 people using the line, he may get a busy tone until they got lucky. When you was talking anyone could lift the phone and listen in on your conversation. There were no secrets on the phone. If you said someone was ill the doorbell rang and someone brought soup. Ahhhh the Doctor. You called the Doctor and he came to you. A house call. Now if you had a rude little bastard that took the phone off the hook you was screwed no one got a call. You don't see many pay phones today. It was also a felony to not hangup if someone yelled fire. If you did you better have a fire. So still want to live in the 50's?

Danny62 Guest
    Well this is a bit off topic but it sure was nice in the day when the goddamn TV actually signed off!! I mean it gave people a chance to do something else. I loved reading the news type that would scroll across the screens after it signed off!!!

And can you imagine in the 1930's the radio was off at around 9pm.

No radio, No TV no Internet...what the fuck did these people do??

And we had to get up to change the channel and adjust the rabbit ears because the TV always had static!!!

I am sure familys were alot closer back then!!

In some ways I would love for life to be a bit simpler in that area...I mean how much sex have I missed cause the wife had to watch the late, late show!!!

And yes I do remember party lines...sounds like an orgy type thing. LOL

Yeah if you remember the 50's and 60's compared to now things have changed!!!!!!!!!

onehunglow Guest

Talking Well

No radio, No TV no Internet...what the fuck did these people do??

My Dad had 13 kids in his family. My Mother had 9 and I have 10 in my family. Yeah they were close. I live 20 minutes from Amish Country and they haven't changed much. They do use cordless power tools but have to charge them at the job site.

RoRo Guest
    I remember the party lines from when I was little...I used to like to go to my grandma's and listen in on people

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    My grandma had a party line, and would unscrew the mouthpiece so the other people on the line couldn't hear her smoking her cigarettes and coughing while she listened to them talk. What a nut case! She always heard lots of good gossip. Yeah, I still would live in the 60's and 50's.

onehunglow Guest

Were use to it

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanDeathHag View Post
    My grandma had a party line, and would unscrew the mouthpiece so the other people on the line couldn't hear her smoking her cigarettes and coughing while she listened to them talk. What a nut case! She always heard lots of good gossip. Yeah, I still would live in the 60's and 50's.
    Todays kid's would not last a week.

attackatdawn Guest
    I remember the party line my mother would yell at me when she would catch me listening to other people. And it was really annoying when you called a friend and could hear someone else breathing so you knew they were listening. I guess turnabout is fair play!