Thread: Blacklisted TV Writer Oliver Kaufman Crawford

Blacklisted TV Writer Oliver Kaufman Crawford

Just so we know...

Oliver Kaufman Crawford
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Oliver Kaufman Crawford, who overcame the
    "Red Scare" blacklist of the 1950s to become one of television's
    most successful writers, has died. He was 91.
    Crawford wrote for such shows as "Star Trek," "Bonanza,"
    "Perry Mason" and "Kraft Television Theatre." His daughter
    Vicki Crawford confirmed his Wednesday death.
    Crawford was just starting a writing career in Hollywood when he
    was contacted in 1953 by the House UnAmerican Activities Committee,
    then looking into allegations of communist influence in the
    entertainment industry. He was blacklisted after refusing to reveal
    names of suspected Communists, his daughter said.
    After being blacklisted, Crawford moved to New York, where he
    took a variety of jobs, his daughter said.
    He got back into the business in 1957 after a friend, actor Sam
    Levene, helped him land a job as a writer for "Playhouse 90."
    His career flourished in the 1960s as he wrote for such popular
    shows as "Rawhide," "Lawman," "The Rifleman," "Ben Casey"
    "The Outer Limits" and "I Spy." Still other credits were for
    "Gilligan's Island," "The Big Valley," "The Wild Wild West"
    and "The Fugitive."
    He remained busy throughout the 1970s, writing for "Mannix,"
    "Kojak," "Ironside," "Love, American Style," "The Bionic
    Woman" and other shows.

Armcast Guest
    Thanks for the post, Duster...I have a special admiration for people who refused to give in to the Red Scare of the 50's and maintain their freedoms. I'm glad he was able to get work afterwards and live a good long life. RIP.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Can you imagine if they did that today? There'd be no Hollywood!

Armcast Guest
    I see your point, but I think that the folks today would gladly volunteer any information if it helped their careers...I don't think they're made of the same stock as those in the 50's.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    I see your point, but I think that the folks today would gladly volunteer any information if it helped their careers...I don't think they're made of the same stock as those in the 50's.
    I think they are all proud to be commies & it does help their careers. Sadly no one has any freaking shame anymore. I miss the days of glamorous mysterious celebrities.

Remember that Heidi Fleiss thing where Charlie Sheen was called to the stand? He didnt spill the beans on anyone and they threatened him with everything.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Armcast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Remember that Heidi Fleiss thing where Charlie Sheen was called to the stand? He didnt spill the beans on anyone and they threatened him with everything.
    I forgot about that...WIN for Neil!!!!!

I forgot about that...WIN for Neil!!!!!
    Win for Charlie mate.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Charlie did show some stones there. I wonder sometimes though if there isn't quieter black listing going on today - but in reverse: Instead of left-leaning people being leaned on, it's conservatives that are pounced on, called 'backward' and laughed at when they speak out. I'm thinking specifically of Rosie O'Donell ambushing Tom Selleck. Still, I'm not sure there's any evidence that conservative Hollywood stars have actually lost work because of their views.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Charlie did show some stones there. I wonder sometimes though if there isn't quieter black listing going on today - but in reverse: Instead of left-leaning people being leaned on, it's conservatives that are pounced on, called 'backward' and laughed at when they speak out. I'm thinking specifically of Rosie O'Donell ambushing Tom Selleck. Still, I'm not sure there's any evidence that conservative Hollywood stars have actually lost work because of their views.
    That's true. Also it seems that to get ahead they must be very liberal. Several well knowns were conservative but became libs when they started becoming know. Weird. Listen to any of them talk - celebrities, I mean. They think conservs are idiots & feeble minded. Fluff heads like Matt Damon for example. They obviously don't care a twit about alienating their fans.

Taggerez Guest
    I don't shed any tears for the blacklisted Reds of the 1940s and 50s. They were Stalinist toadies who had their own informal blacklist that they imposed on their enemies, the names of most will never be known much less celebrated. Don't forget that the Communist Party also supported the Nazis in the period after the Hitler-Stalin pact and before the invasion of Russia.

The "Red Scare" was an fight between the liberals and their old allies the commies.

NOVSTORM Guest
    That whole thing was a joke. all they wanted was someone to say they saw such and such at a party meeting or this person or that person SAID they were commies. I remember those hearings. They ruined peoples lives for no reason and took great glee in doing so. There was no law against being a communist.

Taggerez Guest
    There was no law against being a communist.
    Then why did they always take the fifth when asked the question? Most of them were outright Reds, some of the others were sympathizers and a handful were mushy lefties who got caught in the sudden shift of party lines.