Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Reagan

you didn't even make it to the dock...let alone miss the boat.
    peace out.

michael d Guest
    Not a big fan of Nixon. I think to some degree the country needed the whole non apologetic patriotism Reagan brought following Vietnam, Watergate, oil crisis, etc. . . His economic policies were horrendous. I'm not offended by the dumb ass dancing and pissing, I don't get his point. I'm more offended by W's pissing on this country for the last 8 years. Nobody lost their lives from some dumb ass committing misdemeanors.

Ain't politics grand!?

Gives us SO much to talk about!
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

ajlposh Guest

Ronald Reagan

I noticed there wasn't one on this actor/president.

Quote Originally Posted by michael d View Post
    Not a big fan of Nixon. I think to some degree the country needed the whole non apologetic patriotism Reagan brought following Vietnam, Watergate, oil crisis, etc. . . His economic policies were horrendous. I'm not offended by the dumb ass dancing and pissing, I don't get his point. I'm more offended by W's pissing on this country for the last 8 years. Nobody lost their lives from some dumb ass committing misdemeanors.
    I don't get the hype over Reagan myself. The Reagan economy was a failure. Yes, there was a boom in the mid-1980s, as the economy recovered from a severe recession. But while the rich got much richer, there was little economic improvement for most Americans. By the late 1980s, middle-class incomes were barely higher than they had been a decade before and the poverty rate had actually risen. I have yet to a time in history when tax cuts and the myth of trickle down ecomomics has ever worked.

Taggerez Guest
    Why not try pissing on them while they are above ground...now THERE is a challenge!

Of course, they don't likely have the balls for that.
    A+ 'nuff said.

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I don't get the hype over Reagan myself. The Reagan economy was a failure. Yes, there was a boom in the mid-1980s, as the economy recovered from a severe recession. But while the rich got much richer, there was little economic improvement for most Americans. By the late 1980s, middle-class incomes were barely higher than they had been a decade before and the poverty rate had actually risen. I have yet to a time in history when tax cuts and the myth of trickle down ecomomics has ever worked.
    Ain't this the damned truth !!!!!!!!

Robert Vesco Guest
    This is for your benefit, JefeStone. I don't want your ass to get sore from all the "facts" you're pulling out of it...

"A common bit of evidence used by Reagan critics is that the poverty rate rose after the tax cuts. Actually, the poverty rate bottomed out at 11.4 percent in 1978. It hit 13 percent in 1980 and 14 percent in 1981, the year Reagan took office but before his economic program was in place. The poverty rate peaked at 15.2 percent in 1983, by which time the tax cut was still only three-quarters in place. In short, two-thirds of the rise in the poverty rate occurred before Reagan's tax and budget policies could take hold, and all the rise occurred before ERTA [the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981] was fully in place. By 1985 the poverty rate was back down to the level it was at when Reagan took office. It dropped even further during his last three years in office. Thus, though the poverty rate rose in three of [Jimmy] Carter's four years as president, it fell in six of Reagan's eight years."
    -- Source

Taggerez Guest
    Ain't this the damned truth !!!!!!!!
    No, it's not.

Bob sounds educated, Can he read a graph?
    Last edited by JefeStone; 02-07-2009 at 02:16 AM.

11. 02-07-2009, 02:14 AM

John Connor Guest
    Years a go my friend and I walked by the King Edward hotel and he walked out surrounded bt bodyguards. He was very big and the whole thing was very surreal. We were both blown away.

My source. The U.S. gov.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p60-231.pdf

Don't say I'm pulling numbers out of my ass and use a neo con propaganda rag as your source.
    Last edited by JefeStone; 02-07-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Taggerez Guest
    The poverty rate (along with things like the infant mortality rate) is primarily the result of immigration -- both legal and illegal.

To blame Reagan is nutso, unless you go after him on not securing the border.

JFK cut taxes in 1961 which brought the US out of a recession.

GrinReaper Guest
    Reagan was a Hollywood actor. I think he used that as his advantage as a politician.
    That's ALL he had going for him as president. Just good PR and nothing more.
    That's why he's still beloved. It's hard to find hatred when someone seems like a nice guy.

MorbidMolly Guest
    The Republicans see him as God.....great orator, and one that could blow the smoke up your ass with nary a tickle.....the Reagan years almost killed me finanacially, except for the 4 that I was in the Navy.....he took care of the military, I will give him that......so many years later, once again we have a great orator, but now it`s different........What Reagan did, or should I say didn`t do, concerning the AIDs epidemic in this country should go down as one of the most despicable things in history.....but as a cemetery hag, I find it despicable to piss on ANYONES grave.....cemeteries are sacred to me....no ifs, ands, or butts about it

Robert Vesco Guest
    My source. The U.S. gov.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p60-231.pdf

Don't say I'm pulling numbers out of my ass and use a neo con propaganda rag as your source.
    The data you've posted aligns perfectly with the "neo con propaganda rag" I quoted. The poverty rate was 14.0% in 1981 when Reagan was inaugurated, 12.8% when he left in 1989 -- a downward trend. Check out Table B-1 of the report you linked to.

And my apologies for the "pulling numbers out of your ass" comment. I transcended the boundaries of the civilized behavior that is displayed on this forum by you and our fellow Death Hags.
    Last edited by Robert Vesco; 02-08-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added an apology for my un-Hag-like behavior

Pat MaGroin Guest

Ronald Reagan Signed Letter as Governor CA January 29, 1968

I am a Reagan fan - After the gross ineptitude of Jimmy Carter (Iranian hostages, gas lines, sucky economy, Navy helicopters used in the desert for rescue crashing/burning, etc) when Reagan came in, he turned around all of Carter's floundering, flailing policies and bad decisions. Those were really good years, good times (release of the hostages his first days in office, tearing down The Berlin Wall, Glasnost, end of the Soviet Union, etc). Reagan did the United States a lot of good, I miss him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReaganGovernorLetter19680129.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	29589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReaganGovernorInvite19680129.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	29590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReaganGovernorInviteLetter19680129.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	29591  
    Last edited by Pat MaGroin; 01-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    ...the Reagan years almost killed me finanacially, except for the 4 that I was in the Navy.....
    Compared to Canada at that time, the U.S. was a paradise. One young Canadian woman visiting Florida (about 1983) went to the lengths of faking her own death in an attempt to stay in the country, because it was so easy (relatively speaking) to get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    I am a Reagan fan - After the gross ineptitude of Jimmy Carter (Iranian hostages, gas lines, sucky economy, Navy helicopters used in the desert for rescue crashing/burning, etc) when Reagan came in, he turned around all of Carter's floundering, flailing policies and bad decisions. Those were really good years, good times (release of the hostages his first days in office, tearing down The Berlin Wall, Glasnost, end of the Soviet Union, etc). Reagan did the United States a lot of good, I miss him.
    Don't disagree.

The first time (and second time) that I was old enough to vote for President, I voted for Reagan.

Politics is not a "bound by contract" affair - and the politicians promise much; but can only do so much themselves; you just have to choose the ones who best fit your personal beliefs and support them - then wait to see where things go by majority rule in the law making bodies of government.

Politics seems to be largely crooked, even if unintended - money; favors; pork and payoffs - no matter the party; I guess that if maybe some other country was invading here and trying to take us over; we would all be able to agree long enough politically to toss out the invader; then get back to fighting amongst ourselves.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Michael Reagan slams brother Ron's claim that President Reagan had Alzheimer's while in office

Winning/Getty
    Michael Reagan, left, slammed his brother Ron, right, for writing in his new book that their father Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's disease while he was serving as President.

Take our Poll

Ronald Reagan's son Michael Reagan slammed his half-brother Ron's recent claim that the Gipper had Alzheimer's during his second term as President, accusing his liberal sibling of stirring up controversy to line his own pockets.
    "Ron, my brother, was an embarrassment to his father when he was alive and today he became an embarrassment to his mother," Michael Reagan wrote on Twitter on Saturday.
    The elder son, a conservative political commentator whom Reagan adopted during his first marriage, also wrote that his brother "seems to want to sell out his father to sell books."
    Ron Reagan made the claim about his dad's mental fitness in his new book, "My Father at 100," which is being released to coincide with the The Great Communicator's 100th birthday.

President Ronald Reagan in the Oval Office after a speech in 1987. (Thumma/AP)

Reagan's Alzheimer's was announced in 1994, but in excerpts from the book, first released by U.S. News and World Report Friday, the younger son said he first noticed his father struggling with the disease in 1984 during the presidential debates with challenger Walter Mondale.
    "My heart sank as he floundered his way through his responses, fumbling with his notes, uncharacteristically lost for words. He looked tired and bewildered," Ron Reagan wrote.
    President Reagan was often criticized during the end of his presidency for being distant and out of touch, qualities his son chalked up to early onset of the disease.
    "Today we are aware that the physiological and neurological changes associated with Alzheimer's can be in evidence years, even decades, before identifiable symptoms arise," he wrote. "The question, then, of whether my father suffered from the beginning stages of Alzheimer's while in office more or less answers itself."
    Reagan also wrote that he suspected his father would have resigned had he been diagnosed with the disease while in office.
    President Reagan left office in 1989

I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Giada Guest
    How many years are we going to listen to Michael Reagan whine he was the child who was left behind or self-promote using Ronald Reagan's name.

I'm the third of three generations of Californians that knew them. Ronald was distant from his adopted son, Nancy refused to acknowledge Michael.

I've seen and listened to Ron Jr enough times to know he was as close to his dad and mom as anyone can possibly be.

Ronald Reagan suffered from dementia during his presidency, not enough to interfere with his work, but we were all conscious of the problem.

Reagan's 1981 inaugural speech. 30 years today. A great speech - better than Kennedy's in 1961. Certainly better than anything by President Teleprompter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPt7xGx4Xo

2Dogs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    I've seen and listened to Ron Jr enough times to know he was as close to his dad and mom as anyone can possibly be.

Ronald Reagan suffered from dementia during his presidency, not enough to interfere with his work, but we were all conscious of the problem.
    In this interview, Ron Reagan specifically says that he did not see symptoms of dementia in his father during his presidency. I haven't read his book, so I don't know if he is back-tracking now, or simply clearing up some confusion about what he said in the book.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/ron-reagan-admits-facts-wrong-12636892

Had a great head of hair though. Always looks good on the tube.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Giada Guest
    From Ronald Reagan's personal diaries, he was concerned in his 70's on his, "loss of memory."

Loss of hearing, weakened health due to both age and the assassination attempt.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...-with-michael/

Morto Guest
    I was voting for the first time when Jimmy Carter ran for president,I was young and idealistic.His and "screwball" Ford's tenure as our president was a harsh let down and Carter seemed more willing to argue with everyone in DC while the country bottomed out with 20%interest rates.Ford was just a very bad joke on all of us.It was a very bad time for americans in general.I joined the Army to serve out of family tradition as a proud young citizen.The way we were treated in the wake of Vietnam was horrible and sad.Along comes Reagan and despite his being human he had great vision if nothing else and he was persistent in his goals.For my generation seeing the Berlin wall come down and Eastern Europe freed was something we never thought we would see in our life time.So I am sure everyone depending on their age has a different perspective but feeling proud again as an American is something he gave us that I will always remember him for.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    I was voting for the first time when Jimmy Carter ran for president,I was young and idealistic.His and "screwball" Ford's tenure as our president was a harsh let down and Carter seemed more willing to argue with everyone in DC while the country bottomed out with 20%interest rates.Ford was just a very bad joke on all of us.It was a very bad time for americans in general.I joined the Army to serve out of family tradition as a proud young citizen.The way we were treated in the wake of Vietnam was horrible and sad.Along comes Reagan and despite his being human he had great vision if nothing else and he was persistent in his goals.For my generation seeing the Berlin wall come down and Eastern Europe freed was something we never thought we would see in our life time.So I am sure everyone depending on their age has a different perspective but feeling proud again as an American is something he gave us that I will always remember him for.
    Well said!

Reagan was a tough, no nonsense, take no crap kinda guy. Being a teen with no job in the Reagan years, I wasn't concerned about the economy (I was actually in 5th grade, not even a teen), but I was concerned about warfare, the tearing down of the Berlin wall and a myriad of other amazing things Reagan accomplished in his tenure.

Anyone who says - "We don't negociate with terrorists, if the hostages die, they died for their country" and "Put a missile through his front door", has got my vote now and forever.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Reagan was a tough, no nonsense, take no crap kinda guy. Being a teen with no job in the Reagan years, I wasn't concerned about the economy (I was actually in 5th grade, not even a teen), but I was concerned about warfare, the tearing down of the Berlin wall and a myriad of other amazing things Reagan accomplished in his tenure.

Anyone who says - "We don't negociate with terrorists, if the hostages die, they died for their country" and "Put a missile through his front door", has got my vote now and forever.
    Mine too!

Pat MaGroin Guest
    BTW, I am a HUGE Reagan Fan - His is the only presidential autograph I own (though I do have George Washington's handwriting from when he was a surveyor) But I couldn't help but notice that in the picture where they were talking about Reagan's Alzheimer's here:

Anyone notice that the pages on the back look like they are upside down?

Morto Guest
    Pat,I do that all the time no big deal............

Though I think Ronnie did some good things while in office, for the most part I thought he was essentially brain dead. He's the president who converted me from a Republican to a Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Reagan's 1981 inaugural speech. 30 years today. A great speech - better than Kennedy's in 1961. Certainly better than anything by President Teleprompter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPt7xGx4Xo
    Wasn't Reagan the first prez to use a teleprompter?

growl Guest
    I have a brilliant brother in law who is suffering with Alzheimer's disease. We can see much better in hindsight where the disease might have started. He also was a great communicator and was able to hide it well, but after it was too late, there was evidence of financial disasters he left my sister to deal with that had he been healthy, would never have happened. I don't think Ron Jr. is backtracking. When you analyze what went on before diagnosis things become pretty clear. Awfully heartbreaking to see someone like that.
    Last edited by growl; 01-21-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling

The Teleprompter argument against Obama is silly. He didn't need a teleprompter when he schooled the entire GOP leadership for a hour and half at the congressional health care summit. He was able to rufute every talking point used against him. Unscripted. He schooled them so bad that Fox news cut away from its live coverage. Even a GOP stratigist admitted that televising the event was "a mistake"

Here's GOP heart throb Marco Rubio assaling Obama for using teleprompters, while using one.
    Last edited by JefeStone; 01-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Forever-27 Guest
    Every president since Ford has used the teleprompter.

Morto Guest
    And we know why Ford used one............lol

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Here is Super Bowl XLV's Salute To Reagan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xvwQAwPAo

John Hinckley has a new girlfriend - she doesn't look anything like Jodie Foster

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/02/05/020511-news-hinckley-02/

Graveyard Groupie Guest
    This guy is a LOSER. I didn't agree with everything that President Reagan did, but he was my Commander In Chief when I was in the U.S. Navy. I don't care who's grave it is, you just don't do that.

stacebabe Guest
    I wish I could definitively define what party I identified with. :/ Alot of Reagan's politics, I agreed with. I was also alive at the time when AIDS was considered the "Gay Cancer" and he IGNORED IT. I can't believe anyone could've ever thought disease had a sexual preference, but we lived in that time. And Reagan avoided it until his Hollywood buddies were dying from it.

DonnaMc Guest
    Happy 100 Mr. Reagan. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    I wish I could definitively define what party I identified with. :/ Alot of Reagan's politics, I agreed with. I was also alive at the time when AIDS was considered the "Gay Cancer" and he IGNORED IT. I can't believe anyone could've ever thought disease had a sexual preference, but we lived in that time. And Reagan avoided it until his Hollywood buddies were dying from it.
    Johnny Mathis and his boyfriend came to Reagan's funeral.
    I don't think Reagan was that homophobic because Rock Hudson's boyfriend said Nancy and Ronald did call and such when Rock was sick.

Back then their was a lot of phony hyteria regarding to disease. I remember the tabloid reports of Linda Evans catching AIDS from Rock Hudson's kiss.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    How many years are we going to listen to Michael Reagan whine he was the child who was left behind or self-promote using Ronald Reagan's name.

I'm the third of three generations of Californians that knew them. Ronald was distant from his adopted son, Nancy refused to acknowledge Michael.

Reading what you just said....aside from Ronald Reagan being a Celebrity/President of the USA, it sounds like a normal family. Nancy hated her husbands adopted son from first marriage. She also hated her son Ron's wife. I remember the wife calling Nancy a bitch. The daughter, Patti, wrote a tell all book. The only upstanding member seem to be Maureen, the daughter from Ronald Reagans marriage to Jane Wyman.

I too believe Reagan had the beginnings of Alzheimer's during his Administration. People were talking about it back then. You could clearly tell during the ending years of his Presidency when he gave a speech.
    I don't think there is any love loss between Michael and his siblings. He just wants to blow smoke out his ass.

One more thing....I did get to meet Ronald Reagan when he was runnning for Governor here in California during the later 60's. He was giving a speech here in Concord, CA. When he finished I asked if I could have the "Reagan For Governor" poster of the podium and if he would sign it. He was in a hurry to get to the Airport, but he did stop and sign it for me. I was in High School back then....... Many years ago! Still have the Poster.

Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    I too was very disappointed when he didn't create more programs and help for what was clearly a monumental desease. The writing was on the wall. Just could not figure out why he would not Acknowledge it?
    Last edited by Nicki; 02-07-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post

I too was very disappointed when he didn't create more programs and help for what was clearly a monumental desease. The writing was on the wall. Just could not figure out why he would not Acknowledge it?

When we acknowledge something that we have to accept that it can happen to us too. That is a scary thing for some people. I was just a baby in the 80's so I don't remember the culture at the time, but I can just imagine who terrified everyone was once AIDS emerged. This death sentence disease (then it truly was) that no one had a clue about or even how it spread.

People felt safe by blaming it on homosexuals because then they can think "Well I'm not gay so I won't get AIDS."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Elizabeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    When we acknowledge something that we have to accept that it can happen to us too. That is a scary thing for some people. I was just a baby in the 80's so I don't remember the culture at the time, but I can just imagine who terrified everyone was once AIDS emerged. This death sentence disease (then it truly was) that no one had a clue about or even how it spread.

People felt safe by blaming it on homosexuals because then they can think "Well I'm not gay so I won't get AIDS."
    And in Reagan's circles in which he ran, the Good Ole Boys Network, they didn't think they would ever get it.....how many rich, white Republican men got AIDS/HIV?? He didn't seem to care about the disease until it started spreading more and more into the heterosexual population, and by that time it was too late to contain and cure.....

I hated Reagan, and he just benefited the rich....all this looking back at the 80's with rose colored glasses--blech....

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    And in Reagan's circles in which he ran, the Good Ole Boys Network, they didn't think they would ever get it.....how many rich, white Republican men got AIDS/HIV?? He didn't seem to care about the disease until it started spreading more and more into the heterosexual population, and by that time it was too late to contain and cure.....

I hated Reagan, and he just benefited the rich....all this looking back at the 80's with rose colored glasses--blech....

I couldn't agree more. A shameful embarrassing time to be an American.
    I was living in Ireland at the time of the Oliver North BS and god did I want to tell folks I was Canadian. At that time I thought our overseas reputation couldn't possibly get worse.

Then Bush and Buss Jr and now Palin

CRINGE