View Poll Results: Are you for against assisted suicide?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 59.49%
  • No

9 11.39%
  • In certain cases (explain)

21 26.58%
  • Don't care one way or the other

2 2.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assisted Suicide

I assisted in my Mom's. It wasn't medical. She chose to starve herself to death because of her illness (ALS). I didn't force her to eat, altho I'd offer her food everyday.

But, yes, I don't think Kervokian should have gotten any jail time. The patient he assisted had ALS. If anyone knows about this disease, you'd understand...

frosty Guest
    I've looked after many terminally ill people over the years, and so yes i think it should be an option to those who who no chance of recovery, cancer patients etc, but not if a family just wants rid of an elderly relative

Sphr798 Guest
    My answer was yes. I have never understood why we are compassionate enough to end an animal's suffering by putting them to sleep yet we won't offer the same compassion to a human being? By saying I am for it I believe that it should be used in cases of terminal illness and only be allowed when a MD has approved of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphr798 View Post
    My answer was yes. I have never understood why we are compassionate enough to end an animal's suffering by putting them to sleep yet we won't offer the same compassion to a human being? By saying I am for it I believe that it should be used in cases of terminal illness and only be allowed when a MD has approved of it.

I totally agree!

AmyWinelake Guest
    I went for 'In Certain Cases'. I watched my Dad die of cancer and while I think its a personal choice, he spoke several times on the subject and how he would be for it. It would need to be heavily legislated but can see why, for some people, its a merciful option

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphr798 View Post

Good answer.

Seagorath Guest
    What about this poor woman from France?...she pretty much euthanized herself...

http://allnurses.com/forums/f195/fre...es-290302.html

There are photos of her on the web...pretty graphic.

I think that if someone is dying of an incurable diease then they have the right to end their life early. What right do we have to say that someone has to suffer through intense pain when they are going to die anyway. What is the difference between six months of intense pain and suffering or an easy passing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

The reason why we don't put people down like we do pets is because the hospitals and doctors want to squeeze as much money as they can from the dying patients. If they die early (by suicide), they don't make much money...

RubySlippers Guest
    Montana has made it legal...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28085809/

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    Montana has made it legal...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28085809/

Good for them......it`s my life and my pain.....and if I want to live it with a decorum of dignity and grace, without any ass-shat doctor telling me I HAVE to have this or that treatment, then I should be able to.....if I`m terminal, hand me my grandbaby, let me be at home, and let me experience the life I have left....not lay there hooked up to crap that makes the medical profession richer and my life a living hell

djdeath-hag Guest
    Yay for Montana...of course the real keystone state of this debate would be Florida, as we are "God's Waiting Room".

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Yay for Montana...of course the real keystone state of this debate would be Florida, as we are "God's Waiting Room".

* snort *

deathybrad Guest
    You need to re-word the poll question. That doesn't make any sense.

bump

Poison? Why not give them a large dode of opiates so they driftoff to sleep and die painlessly dont let the vomit and convulsions fool you thats involuntary response. You must be a sadistic fuck to want to poison someone.
    Flip it up, smack it. Rub it down.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I am on the fence with this one, I think it depends on the situation, but I don't think poison is the answer

sweetie103 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

I agree.

sweetie103 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    No question, I would do it as long as it was painless....seen too many people die a slow and horrible death.....we do it for animals....we should let that be a dying persons choice....

Didn't quote what i was agreeing with.

....did anybody else read the thread title and think it was about something else entirely???

John Connor Guest
    It would depend on my To Do list for that day.

Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    It would depend on my To Do list for that day.
    Your av is on my to do list for everyday Keeanu!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

John Connor Guest

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Your av is on my to do list for everyday Keeanu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr2hv0X8d8A

No
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pogobean View Post
    If it was someone I know very well I don't think I could do it.....I think I would feel very guilty about doing the deed.

I have done it and when I saw how different they looked after they passed I felt guilty for not helping them before I did. Sometimes when they BEG for morphine before it is due, you just give it to them and let them finally go to the big sleep.
    I have a DNR and a friend that will "help" me if I am brain damaged (worse then I am now ) or a vegie and I will do the same for her and we have it in writing and noterized to save a jail sentance.

Yup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by weight loss View Post
    I couldn't. My mom has a do not resuscitate order and I'm not even sure I can deal with that.

You do not have to deal with it as her doctor and the hopsital have to honor her wishes it is against the law here for them to keep a person alive if they have this DNR. It is tough for us because we dont want to have our loved ones leave us, but as I have found out personally,we need to have a dnr because then we dont have to leave it up to the family to pull that plug.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    [SIZE=4]Someone very close to you is in pain, paralyzed, and will die in a month. They beg you to give them poison so they that they can die. Would you?
    [/SIZE]
    No. I have no desire to play God and the one thing I am certain of this is not my decision to make I would give it back to this person let them know I am okay with whatever they decide.

Gorey Guest
    Most of you say you could or would with out having the situation in front of you. It is a heavy, weighty decision to make and the burden of it can destroy you.
    I've had to turn off ventilators on people I thought could recover and those who were brain dead. I've had this decision presented to me by families and patients. I've kept alive people I thought would be better if they had died.
    I've helped bring people back from the dead, kept dead people alive, let live people die, when I was younger the adrenalin was enough but as you get older the burden of doing these things can kill you instead.
    This is a decision I hope none of you have to make. The guilt and weight of what you have done would be overwhelming.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Yes.....But..Im..wondering..about..the..type..of..poison..youre..considering....Isnt. .the
    person..on..morphine?.....Poison..painful..and..not..a..pretty..sight....

Ridgecrest, CA-Middle of the Mojave Desert
    I would most definatly I would. I can only pray that if I were in a situation where I was suffering someone would do it for me. Just juice me with enough Morphine that I start talking to Elvis on my way out. I have an advanced directive to say no even to hook me up if I'm way bad, don't bother. I don't want to be on any type of life support for any amount of time.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I did it for my Dad. I took off all of the stuff they had him connected to because the hospital wouldnt. I am the youngest of 12 and I have watched more then 6 of my siblings die painfully from cancer and I have been able to give them the drug they wanted and I had no guilt at all. I had relief that they were no longer screaming with their pain. If I have to go to jail I will because I will never stand there and let my loved ones who are dying suffer. I wont do it. I do not see any reason when a person is in pain and is dying and begging you to help them that they should not be relieved of their pain. I am not playing GOD. I have been there and watched this happen so many times. Cancer takes about 98 percent of my family. There is no need to poison them. People at hospice have told me point blank that a heavy dose of morphine will take them peacefully. If you are able to do this and your loved one can lift up that bottle of liquid morphine you just leave the cap off the bottle where they can reach it and walk away. You have believe there is a GOD to play him,/her. I cannot understand why God would let His people suffer like this.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I would feel no guilt what so ever.......none, zilch, nada......I am not playing God when I am asked to do the humane thing.....I hope to God that someone will do it for me......I`ve known real pain, as others on this board have.....if it ever comes back, and I KNOW there is no hope I refuse to suffer anymore than I have to......it is my life, and my choice....I am a capable human being, and I know my limits....and I`ve reached those limits on more than one occasion.......I have the right to die with dignity....my family has the right, no matter what a doctor or politician says.......and that`s how I feel about that.....constant overwhelming pain can change your mind about a lot of things

RubySlippers Guest
    Group accused of aiding death defends work - Final Exit Network calls its mission to help people die 'self-deliverance'

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29411514/

vintagesole Guest
    I don't know if I could. I'm not against it by any means, but not sure if I could actually help someone die. Guess I would have to be in the position.

Chevyheaven Guest
    I would very much like to assist in a suicide. I am trying to talk my MIL into it. So far shes not biting.

burgtwngrl Guest
    I think If I had no friends or family and I was in chronic pain I would but I could never do it now that I have a family

mandee1005 Guest
    Depends on the situation. My brother committed suicide and I have a different view on things. If someone was terminal and suffering (like that lady in florida??) then maybe I could. It would have to strong circumstances behind it.

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    yep. I've done it for pets. Humans should have that choice too, imo.
    Me to, I completely agree.

Guest Guest
    My father died of colon cancer...I wish we had that option...lord knows he was begging for something to end his misery...a gun...poison...too much morphine...SOMETHING!

During my father's healthy years he weighed 190lbs...but the time he slipped through the veil..he weighed about 81lbs...he looked like a holocaust victim...he suffered as one too...imagine vomiting your own fecal matter...imagine you rotting from the inside out...If I had had the means to end it myself without the legal ramifications I would have 100 times over...and never regretted it.

I hope to God now that the death with dignity law has passed in my state that in the event I am terminal that I will have someone in my circle who would not interfere with my decision...comfort and peace is how people should pass...not pain and misery.

Meli Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    My father died of colon cancer...I wish we had that option...lord knows he was begging for something to end his misery...a gun...poison...too much morphine...SOMETHING!

During my father's healthy years he weighed 190lbs...but the time he slipped through the veil..he weighed about 81lbs...he looked like a holocaust victim...he suffered as one too...imagine vomiting your own fecal matter...imagine you rotting from the inside out...If I had had the means to end it myself without the legal ramifications I would have 100 times over...and never regretted it.

I hope to God now that the death with dignity law has passed in my state that in the event I am terminal that I will have someone in my circle who would not interfere with my decision...comfort and peace is how people should pass...not pain and misery.

I am so sorry your dad had to suffer so badly I agree with you. People should be allowed to pass peacefully!

Shano Guest

Oh Dearheart! I am so sorry. My Mother died two years ago from brain cancer. Cancer is the most horrible way to die sometimes. A person loses all of their dignity.

Towards the end my Mom was in a lot of pain. Her head hurt so bad. She was freezing cold, she couldn't eat or keep anything down. Then she started hallucinating. She called me one morning telling me that she couldn't wake my brother up (he lived with her at the time) and that she couldn't move her body, or open her eyes. I couldn't get there fast enough so I called 911. When they got to her she was sitting at her kitchen table throwing up in a bucket. By the time they got her to the hospital she was in a semi coma. When they admitted her we got this WONDERFUL hospice doctor. He told us that this was it. He gave her only weeks. He said that when she woke up, if she wanted anything that we could give it to her. Including a drink (booze) or a cigarette (He told us to open the window and close the door! lol).

Well, she was in a ton of pain. When she was awake she didn't want to be. I talked with the doctor and we decided to give her morphine in a stronger dose. She never woke up again. Truthfully, I think that the doctor gave her more than he was supposed to the last few days of her life. Am I mad. Hell no. Am I sorry? Hell no. I hope if I am suffering that some doctor/nurse/loved one does the same for me.

sunshine74137 Guest
    My hubs and his BF have an agreement, somehow they have figured it out so it won't be a murder or a suicide. They have worked out the stipulations as to when it's time too.

Chevyheaven Guest
    your husband has a boyfriend? Sunshine what is going on in your life these days? Scandal is aloof here I see.

ShatteredMirror Guest
    In a word: Yes.

I am very much in favor of this law. My problem is that my husband has stated in no uncertain terms he would do everything to stop me. If it really comes to pass I will have to figure out what to do to carry out my wishes.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I did it for my Dad. I took off all of the stuff they had him connected to because the hospital wouldnt. I am the youngest of 12 and I have watched more then 6 of my siblings die painfully from cancer and I have been able to give them the drug they wanted and I had no guilt at all. I had relief that they were no longer screaming with their pain. If I have to go to jail I will because I will never stand there and let my loved ones who are dying suffer. I wont do it. I do not see any reason when a person is in pain and is dying and begging you to help them that they should not be relieved of their pain. I am not playing GOD. I have been there and watched this happen so many times. Cancer takes about 98 percent of my family. There is no need to poison them. People at hospice have told me point blank that a heavy dose of morphine will take them peacefully. If you are able to do this and your loved one can lift up that bottle of liquid morphine you just leave the cap off the bottle where they can reach it and walk away. You have believe there is a GOD to play him,/her. I cannot understand why God would let His people suffer like this.
    Just had a good cry, Cancer SUCKS.
    A very good friend of mine lost her son to cancer at the age of 8, and his final hours where unbearable so different to what she expected and was told to expect. Looking back I think a pillow would have been a less painful way on both parts, his death haunts her because she couldn't do anything for him.

pvezz Guest

I am so sorry about your Dad and his pain.

I know my Dad would have wanted to end his life, as well.

I am 100% behind assisted suicide, if the person is mentally able to make that decision for themself.

John Connor Guest
    I think Euthanasia is going to become commonplace very soon anyway, that is it being legal everywhere. There's going to be too many old people, it's going to be too crowded and taking care of them will cost too much money. Also we won't have the food or resources. Hollywood always has a way of predicting the future and two movies always stick in my mind. Soylent Green where over population is out of control and euthanasia is encouraged. Remember when Edward G. Robinson chooses assisted suicide? It is called "going home". He is given a poisoned drink and shown a panoramic view of what the Earth had once been. That's the near future. Logan's Run takes it even further. Humanity has been driven to live in a domed city. At this point the choice has been taken away and all people must end their life at thirty. In the book and upcoming remake it's twenty one. Basically for every newborn someone must die to make room. People are fed the idea they are being reincarnated but of course, it is untrue. That's the distant future. At the same time nobody has to work, life is about sex and drugs, plastic surgery and the pursuit of pleasure, it just ends very abruptly.
    Scary but it's seems ineviatable.

I could also help someone else if they had no quality of life and they asked me to do it.
    Wanna see my grandkids?