Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 530

Thread: Which unsolved crime/death would you most like to see solved?

  1. #201
    Oh! Just thought of another crime that I don't think will ever be technically "solved," although there are a lot of people who KNOW "whodunit!"

    Ken Rex McElroy. Town bully of Skidmore, MO. He was known for committing dozens of felonies, including pedophilia, rape, arson, cattle rustling, and burglary; he was generally a horrible person and the last straw was when he shot a local storekeeper with a shotgun (although the man lived). The police would or could do nothing to stop his reign of terror and intimidation, and finally, after he'd threatened to go ahead and kill the man he'd already shot, the town had had enough. On July 10, 1981, Ken Rex McElroy was shot dead in broad daylight, sitting in the cab of his truck with his wife looking on. There were at least two guns used, and perhaps 30 to 40 people who observed the shooting. The entire town has held their silence as to who killed McElroy for almost 30 years now, and there's no indication that they plan to break it now!

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Augusta, Ga
    Posts
    664
    Still hoping to find out something about the Columbia Parkway Murders in Williamsburg, Va.in the 80's. That was not too far from where I used to live and I distinctly remember how desolate that stretch of road always seemed.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    Barefoot, the case of the little girls is so heartbreaking. Just two innocent girls out walking and not bothering anybody, killed for no reason. I hope the case can be solved. They and their families need justice. As for Ken Rex McElroy, I don't think anyone will ever talk unless it is a deathbed confession. I don't have any sympathy for him whatsoever. Wonder how his kids turned out?

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    Barefoot, the case of the little girls is so heartbreaking. Just two innocent girls out walking and not bothering anybody, killed for no reason. I hope the case can be solved. They and their families need justice. As for Ken Rex McElroy, I don't think anyone will ever talk unless it is a deathbed confession. I don't have any sympathy for him whatsoever. Wonder how his kids turned out?
    You know, my parents lived in Skidmore, MO back in the early 1950's, and when this guy was shot down, my parents were in agreement that NO ONE would ever talk - they know the people out in that part of the country and were pretty sure that if things had gotten so bad with someone that he had to be taken out (and the police appear to have been afraid to do anything about him) that the job would have been done and then everyone who arranged it would have "forgotten" all about it...

    And I want them to find whoever killed those little girls!!! I live in Sacramento, which is a good-sized city with plenty of crime, and when I dream of living somewhere safe, I dream of living in a small town in the woods... but terrible things can happen to people so close to home even in these little places... makes you feel no one is safe anymore.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,655
    Thelma Todd. I really don't believe it was suicide.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,102
    Here is one I would like to see solved. I remember all this happening (Just)
    Kirsta Jensen went missing in 1983 from the beach in Awatoto New Zealand

    http://www.crime.co.nz/c-files.aspx?ID=34

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,102
    And another one. Kirsty Bently missing from Ashburton. Both similar cases and still mysteries and making headlines over here

    http://www.crime.co.nz/c-files.aspx?ID=530
    Last edited by KarmaKat; 09-28-2010 at 01:23 AM.

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,102
    One more. I would have liked to have been there for this one just to see what really happened. Always been doubt in my and a lot of other peoples minds

    http://www.crime.co.nz/c-files.aspx?ID=530

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Joisey
    Posts
    1,085
    Definitely JonBenet Ramsey. That case truly haunts me. My daughter was almost exactly her age at the time, and I can't help but think how JonBenet would be in college now.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,655
    I recall a case in Australia about three kids going to the beach, and never being seen again. I'd love to know what happened.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    70
    Jack the Ripper, Jack the stripper and what happened to Lord Lucan

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    223
    Thelma Todd. for sure along with Elizabeth Short

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    517
    This was a really bizarre case, nobody believed it was a murder suicide the amount and degree of the wounds, and the husband ended up running off with some young chickky babe it was all very suss.

    An inquest into the deaths of Vicki Arnold and Julie-Anne Leahy in 1991 will be reopened



    Vicki Arnold and Julie-Anne Leahy were found dead in 1991. Source: The Courier-Mail


    Car in which bodies of Vicki Arnold and Julie-Anne Leahy were found. Source: The Courier-Mail






    AN inquest into a one of Queensland's most notorious murder cases will be reopened by the State Government, Attorney-General Cameron Dick said today.

    Mr Dick told State Parliament today an inquest would be held into the deaths of Vicki Arnold and Julie-Anne Leahy, who were found dead in 1991.
    The best friends were found in a four-wheel-drive on an isolated bush track near Atherton, in the state's north.
    Ms Leahy had been been bashed, shot twice in the head, and her throat cut, while Arnold had gun shot wounds under her chin and to the back of the head.
    Police originally found the case was a murder-suicide, saying Ms Arnold killed her friend and then shot herself.
    But Ms Arnold's family have maintained her innocence, calling for the case to be reopened.

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over a rainbow/U.K
    Posts
    868
    Jon Benet
    2 Pac
    Jam Master Jay
    WM3

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sheattle
    Posts
    375
    I'd like to see all murders solved but seeing as that'll happen about the same time as a white male who was born in this country wins the lottery I'll offer up my short list instead:

    JFK
    George Reeves
    Elizabeth Short AKA The Black Dahlia
    Bob Crane

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Connecticut, You know home of ESPN
    Posts
    9,266
    Colonial Parkway Crime Scene pics

    http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-parkwa...,6599554.story


    "I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    36
    from the Chicago area -

    Judith Mae Anderson - murdered & dismembered in 1957
    the Grimes sisters - murdered in 1957
    Jaclyn Dowaliby - 7 years old, murdered in 1988, stepfather wrongfully convicted then exonerated
    Valerie Percy

    The Anderson & Grimes crimes made a huge impression on me at the time. I was just old enough that I was becoming aware of the greater world around me, and the horror of those murders was my first introduction to evil.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    36
    Just thought of another one, from the annals of history -

    King Edward V and the Duke of York - were they murdered in the Tower of London on the orders of Richard III?

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,655
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryBuff View Post
    Just thought of another one, from the annals of history -

    King Edward V and the Duke of York - were they murdered in the Tower of London on the orders of Richard III?
    I honestly believe that they weren't killed on the orders of Richard. He had nothing to gain from their deaths, while Henry VII had everything to gain.

    After Edward IV's death, no one wanted a child on the throne except his Woodville relatives. All the children of Edward and Elizabeth were declared illegitimate. Henry VII, however, married Edward and Elizabeth's daughter, Elizabeth of York, and Henry had her and her siblings declared legitimate. When he did that, the lawful king became Edward V. Therefore, it was in his own best interest to make sure the princes were dead.

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sheattle
    Posts
    375
    Actually it was Colonel Mustard in the conservatory with the candlestick.

  21. #221
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,905
    Jack the Ripper and The Black Dhalia

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,081
    What I would luv, which probably ain't going to happen, is for certain killers to CONFESS to their murders, and especially for families that never had a body to bury, for them to tell them so they can have some measure of peace and give them a burial.

    Joran vander slut
    Drew Peterson

    anybody think of anymore?

    Miss Chunk
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

  23. #223
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Rain Forest
    Posts
    1,023
    *J * A * M * E * S *

    ~ * ~

    *M * A * R * S * H * A * L * L*

    ~ * ~

    *H * E * N * D * R * I * X*

    Despite the official cause of death, I would like to know what "really" happened.

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    36
    Sabrina Aisenberg, the Florida infant who vanished in 1997. Strange case that seemed to get botched by law enforcement, very much like the Jon Benet Ramsey murder.

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Connecticut, You know home of ESPN
    Posts
    9,266
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryBuff View Post
    Sabrina Aisenberg, the Florida infant who vanished in 1997. Strange case that seemed to get botched by law enforcement, very much like the Jon Benet Ramsey murder.

    I remember the Aisenberg case and it always haunted me. I truly believe that little girl is alive. Someone took her because they wanted a baby. I hope that she was raised with love at least...


    "I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

  26. #226
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    6,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I remember the Aisenberg case and it always haunted me. I truly believe that little girl is alive. Someone took her because they wanted a baby. I hope that she was raised with love at least...
    Unless it is proven otherwise, I still believe she is still alive too. I would like to know the circumstances under which it happened.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

  27. #227
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    I so hope that Sabrina is alive. It would be wonderful to have another miracle like Jaycee Dugard and Shawn Hornbeck!

  28. #228
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    I so hope that Sabrina is alive. It would be wonderful to have another miracle like Jaycee Dugard and Shawn Hornbeck!
    Hopefully, if she is alive, she won't have had to endure what they did while they were living with their abductors.

  29. #229
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    Ivy, I agree with you there. If she really was abducted, I would think it would be by someone who wanted a baby and couldn't have their own. Since she was so young, I doubt she would have been taken by a child molester. I still think her parents harmed her, but I would love to be wrong.

  30. #230
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    36
    Even though the case was officially closed with the death-sentence conviction of Darlie Routier for the murder of her two sons in Texas, I'm still not convinced. The whole case was so strange, and so many facts have been revealed after the conviction that could really throw doubt on the whole prosecution case. Such as the severe bruising of her arms that could support her contention that she was assaulted by a home intruder, but which photos weren't presented at her trial. Such as the palm/finger print (can't remember which) found on the glass table top that couldn't be matched to any of the Routier's. Such as the glove found in the alley behind the house and a neighbor's report of having seen a strange vehicle in that area at about the time of the crime. After hearing about the family's significant financial difficulties, and the husband's less-than-stellar personal reputation, I've always wondered if it originated as a planned home robbery for insurance gain that went bad when the mother & children were unexpectedly encountered sleeping in the living room. I frankly think Darlie was convicted more because of her appallingly tasteless behavior videotaped at her son's grave on what would have been his birthday than on the actual evidence in the case. She's most certainly a tacky, self-absorbed princess, but that doesn't make her a murderer.

  31. #231
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,713
    This crime happened here in Contra Costa County in the little upscale town of Clayton, CA:

    Five siblings murdered in Clayton, killer still on the loose after 42-years

    December 8, 2010 10:30 am 43 comments

    It was just after midnight on Sunday September 8, 1968. Six siblings on Panadero Court in Clayton were tucked into bed. Their parents were on their way home from a function at John Muir Hospital, when all of a sudden, somebody threw an explosive device through the front window of the home, which immediately engulfed the house with smoke and flames. The family would never be the same again.
    42-years-ago, that one explosive device killed five young brothers & sisters, and today, the murderer is still on the loose.
    The blaze happened at 1042 Panadero Court in Clayton, which is near Pine Hollow & Mitchell Canyon.
    After a thorough investigation, arson investigators determined the fire was deliberately set. They found flammable liquid in the living room of the home and several explosions were heard by neighbors. They say other pieces of evidence proved the fire was arson, as did the burn pattern inside the home. Further investigation revealed a device was thrown through the front window, which landed on the couch and immediately sent thick black smoke and flames throughout the large ranch-style home.
    The $45,000 home belonged to building contractor & Clayton City Councilmember Richard Walker, and his wife, Jean. They lost five of their six children in the fire. The one who survived, 6-year-old Carolyn, was saved by two neighbors, 20-year-old James Hanson and 20-year-old Dale Cross.
    Those who died in the fatal blaze were 6-month-old Mary Ann, 3-year-old Theodore, 9-year-old Cariton, 13-year-old Cynthia & 20-year-old Linda.
    42-years-later, a few people have been questioned, but nobody has been arrested and charged with the murder of the five brothers & sisters. A large reward was offered by the family shortly after the death of their five children, but the case remained unsolved.
    Despite the fact that the area’s largest homicide case happened in Clayton, the City of Concord Police Department is the lead investigator on the case, which is still actively being researched.
    Sgt. Michael Finney says he’s been working on the case for several years, and says the family had no known enemies. Sgt. Finney says and only one man has been considered a possible suspect throughout the past few decades, his name is John Sapp.
    John Sapp is a Concord native, and attended Clayton Valley High School in the 60′s, but Sapp has a new home, he’s spent the last 25-years on Death Row at San Quentin State Prison for the murder of three people, two of whom were killed and buried in Lime Ridge Open Space. Sapp is also a possible suspect in several other unsolved murders in Concord and throughout California.
    Sapp has been interviewed many times regarding the arson fire in Clayton, most recently in 2003, but every time, he’s denied any involvement.
    Sgt. Finney says investigators received information from people in the late 90′s who said Sapp told them he was responsible for the 1968 Clayton murders, but those informants have since said they lied about the tip and are unwilling to cooperate. Sgt. Finney says those informants notified the police many years after they claimed Sapp told them about his involvement.
    One possible theory, if John Sapp was involved in the arson, is that he hit the wrong house. Sgt. Finney says just before the fire, Sapp was released from juvenile hall when he was in his mid-teens. Sgt. Finney tells us the Contra Costa Superior Court Judge who sent Sapp to Juvenile Hall lived only a few doors away from the Walker family, whose house was hit with the explosive device. Sgt. Finney says Sapp also lived within walking distance of the crime scene, and was a heavy drug user at the time of the murders, and had been for several years. Finney says it’s possible Sapp was trying to burn down the Judge’s house, but hit the Walker house by accident.
    Currently, the Concord Police only have circumstantial evidence against Sapp, and not enough to convict him of the worst murder case we’ve ever seen in CLAYCORD, which hasn’t made the news since the late 1960′s.
    The father, Richard, died 33-years after the fire, in 2001. His wife, Jean, is still living in Northern California, and Carolyn, the only child who survived the fire, is also still alive. Richard died not knowing who was responsible for the murder of five of his children.
    Despite the fact that it’s been 42-years since the murders, somebody must know something. If you have any information on this tragic blaze, which not only killed five young victims, but changed the lives of dozens of their friends and family members, please let somebody know. You can contact Sgt. Michael Finney at 925-671-3220. This family needs justice, so please, if you know anything at all about this case, no matter how small it is, tell the police.



    http://claycord.com/2010/12/08/five-...fter-42-years/

    comments… read them below or add one

  32. #232
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,655
    I'd like to finally find out what happened to the Sodder children. Did they die in the fire? Were they abducted? I wish I knew.

  33. #233
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Azusa, California
    Posts
    8,204
    Villisca Axe Murders. Plus the case of those two little girls shot in Oklahoma a couple of years ago.

  34. #234
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Laaaaaanark, Scotland
    Posts
    669
    Madeleine McCann, Jack the Ripper and Elizabeth Short

  35. #235
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,768
    Stacy Peterson, Matthew Margolius, Jonbenet, Dalton Mesarchik, Son of Sam Murders, Black Daliah and many more..

  36. #236
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    History Buff, I respect your opinion about Darlie Routier, but I think she is guilty. I have seen several forensic type shows about the case and read all the books that are out. The blood spatter evidence is what convinced me. That silly string video was appalling. It made my skin crawl. A lot of people say that not everyone grieves the same. To me, there was not a trace of sadness in her on the video. I know many people who have lost their children in various ways-SIDS, cancer, car accidents, etc. Even years later, they still choke up when mentioning their child. With Darlie, 8 days after her sons were brutally stabbed to death in their own home, she is spraying silly string on their fresh grave while laughing and chomping on gum. I realize a lot of people think she is innocent and I do respect your opinion, I just disagree. It is hard to imagine a mother committing such a heinous crime.

  37. #237
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Villisca Axe Murders. Plus the case of those two little girls shot in Oklahoma a couple of years ago.
    Yep....I was just wondering about those two little girls in Oklahoma this past week. I would love to see that one solved also.

  38. #238
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    History Buff, I respect your opinion about Darlie Routier, but I think she is guilty. I have seen several forensic type shows about the case and read all the books that are out. The blood spatter evidence is what convinced me. That silly string video was appalling. It made my skin crawl. A lot of people say that not everyone grieves the same. To me, there was not a trace of sadness in her on the video. I know many people who have lost their children in various ways-SIDS, cancer, car accidents, etc. Even years later, they still choke up when mentioning their child. With Darlie, 8 days after her sons were brutally stabbed to death in their own home, she is spraying silly string on their fresh grave while laughing and chomping on gum. I realize a lot of people think she is innocent and I do respect your opinion, I just disagree. It is hard to imagine a mother committing such a heinous crime.
    I agree - I believe Darlie is guilty also. I think she was very vain and she realized too late that having kids means WORK. I think the only reason the baby lived is because he was upstairs sleeping with his father. She should've just left her husband and left the kids instead of murdering them. She is right where she belongs - and the very worst part to me - if she has any kind of conscience - is living with the fact that she murdered her own babies...she will be in that prison all of her life.
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

  39. #239
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    36
    Three cases from the past that have always intrigued me:

    Huey Long, Louisiana governor assassinated in 1935. Supposedly, a relative of a judicial opponent shot Long in the capitol building and was then shot to death by Long's bodyguards. But there is speculation that it was actually the bodyguards themselves who carried out the assassination on orders from one of Long's many other political enemies.

    Glenn Miller, the famous bandleader of the '40s, who was flying to Europe to entertain the troops during WWII when his plane disappeared in 1944. No traces of the plane or any of its occupants were ever found.

    Leslie Howard, famous British film star best known for his role as Ashley Wilkes in "Gone With The Wind", who was flying from England to Portgual in 1943 when his plane also disappeared. After the war, German documents indicated they had shot it down. But there's always been a host of conspiracy theories as to why, including speculation about Howard's role as an anti-Nazi spy.

    All very intriguing stuff for a HistoryBuff like me!

  40. #240
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    Miss Chunk, I don't think Darlie has any conscience at all. I think the only feelings she has are feelings of pity for herself. Everything about her is ME ME ME. In the numerous interviews that I have watched of her over the years, she doesn't even mention the boys at all. She sees herself as the victim, the boys are an afterthought, if they are thought of at all. Poor me, I'm innocent, I didn't get a fair trial, boohoohoo. Even her family seems to focus on the "injustice to Darlie." WTF? What about the injustice to Devon and Damon? Why doesn't it bother Darlie that a child killer is on the loose and is getting away with murdering her sons if she is innocent? If some person broke into their home and murdered her sons and slashed her throat, wouldn't she be scared afterwards? Apparently not, or she wouldn't have been on TV giving an interview at the gravesite and letting the "intruder" know she is still alive. I think she loves all the attention she gets from her supporters. Sure death row sucks, but she's a star (in her mind) and the center of attention. She has already survived on death row much longer than most inmates in Texas. What's the holdup? She makes me ill!

  41. #241
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Piney Woods of East Texas
    Posts
    215
    Geneva Hilliker Ellroy She was the mother of James Ellroy, American Crime Writer. He wrote the crime novel, The Black Dahlia. Learning about Elizabeth Short's murder was my first step into Death Haggy Land. A co-worker of mine told me about Mr. Ellroy's memoir, My Dark Places and it was in that book that he wrote of his mother's murder. I found My Dark Places so raw, disturbing to me. I used to live in El Monte, where her body was found, and for some reason that creeped me out more.

  42. #242
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    Miss Chunk, I don't think Darlie has any conscience at all. I think the only feelings she has are feelings of pity for herself. Everything about her is ME ME ME. In the numerous interviews that I have watched of her over the years, she doesn't even mention the boys at all. She sees herself as the victim, the boys are an afterthought, if they are thought of at all. Poor me, I'm innocent, I didn't get a fair trial, boohoohoo. Even her family seems to focus on the "injustice to Darlie." WTF? What about the injustice to Devon and Damon? Why doesn't it bother Darlie that a child killer is on the loose and is getting away with murdering her sons if she is innocent? If some person broke into their home and murdered her sons and slashed her throat, wouldn't she be scared afterwards? Apparently not, or she wouldn't have been on TV giving an interview at the gravesite and letting the "intruder" know she is still alive. I think she loves all the attention she gets from her supporters. Sure death row sucks, but she's a star (in her mind) and the center of attention. She has already survived on death row much longer than most inmates in Texas. What's the holdup? She makes me ill!
    Hey mammy, for sure, she is an egomaniac! All about her... I wonder what her wimpy-husband - I think he has another 'D' name - tells Darren (I think) the surviving child - what the heck does he tell that boy??? He is a wimp, just kisses her pathetic ass. I wish they would nuke her so we wouldn't have to see her poor-me face anymore!
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

  43. #243
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    I have been interested in this case for years. There are a lot of websites and forums that discuss it. I read on another forum that Darin's parents still have custody of Drake, that Darin and Darlie are still married but he doesn't visit her anymore, that Darin is a wedding photographer, and that Darin has been seen with another woman. I don't know why he doesn't divorce her. A lot of people think that he stays married to her because he is afraid she will reveal his part of the crime if he divorces her. I don't think that would happen because then she would have to admit there was no intruder and that she is guilty and that he knew all along what happened. I don't believe that he participated in the actual murders, but he found out afterwards and helped cover it up. As for Drake, Darlie's mother used to take him to visit Darlie, but I don't know if she still does. He is 15 years old now and probably has other interests like most teenagers. They have told him all his life that someone broke in and killed his brothers and his mom is innocent and wrongly imprisoned. I feel bad for him. What a crappy way to grow up.

  44. #244
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    I recall a case in Australia about three kids going to the beach, and never being seen again. I'd love to know what happened.
    That was the Beaumont children, who went to spend the day at the local beach on January 26, 1966 and were never seen again

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumon..._disappearance

    A year earlier, on January 11 1965, two teenage girls went missing on Wanda Beach in Sydney Australia - Christine Sharrock and Marianne Schmidt were both fifteen and best friends. Their partially buried bodies were found the next day. The case remains unsolved and is second in notoriety only to the disappearance of the Beaumont children.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda_Beach_Murders


    My Sweet George Feb 25 1943 - November 29 2001
    Many thanks to IHTT for my FAB signature!

  45. #245
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by mammyofthree View Post
    I have been interested in this case for years. There are a lot of websites and forums that discuss it. I read on another forum that Darin's parents still have custody of Drake, that Darin and Darlie are still married but he doesn't visit her anymore, that Darin is a wedding photographer, and that Darin has been seen with another woman. I don't know why he doesn't divorce her. A lot of people think that he stays married to her because he is afraid she will reveal his part of the crime if he divorces her. I don't think that would happen because then she would have to admit there was no intruder and that she is guilty and that he knew all along what happened. I don't believe that he participated in the actual murders, but he found out afterwards and helped cover it up. As for Drake, Darlie's mother used to take him to visit Darlie, but I don't know if she still does. He is 15 years old now and probably has other interests like most teenagers. They have told him all his life that someone broke in and killed his brothers and his mom is innocent and wrongly imprisoned. I feel bad for him. What a crappy way to grow up.
    Wow, what a story - I wish she would just come clean - hopefully she is never getting out anyway... I also do not believe hubby had anything to do with it, but helped cover for her.

    Do you like my new Christmas outfit? hehehe

    Miss Chunk xo
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

  46. #246
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    18,938
    Your new Christmas outfit is adorable! I never get tired of looking at Miss Chunk! Darlie will never admit what she did because she is such a drama queen and thrives on the attention she gets from her supporters. I think it is awful how she strings along her family, especially her mom and sisters. I think they are stuck in limbo, not knowing what is going to happen. Darin has distanced himself from her and I doubt Drake is around much either, but I don't know that. I remember when I first heard about this crime. I was horrified that anyone could murder two little boys so brutally. I couldn't imagine a mother doing such a thing and wanted to believe that Darlie was innocent. Stabbing someone is so up close and personal. But the more I read, the more I became convinced of her guilt. It is so hard to imagine how much Devon and Damon suffered and how devastated they must have been knowing their own mom was doing this to them. If Darlie had any conscience at all, just those thoughts would eat her alive! Even if she manages to weasel her way off of death row, she will never be released anyway. She was only tried and convicted of Damon's murder so that if she was found not guilty, she could then be tried for Devon's murder. It is just a sad, horrible crime and it is way past time for her to go. Those little guys deserve justice!

  47. #247
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by HistoryBuff View Post
    Three cases from the past that have always intrigued me:

    Huey Long, Louisiana governor assassinated in 1935. Supposedly, a relative of a judicial opponent shot Long in the capitol building and was then shot to death by Long's bodyguards. But there is speculation that it was actually the bodyguards themselves who carried out the assassination on orders from one of Long's many other political enemies.

    Glenn Miller, the famous bandleader of the '40s, who was flying to Europe to entertain the troops during WWII when his plane disappeared in 1944. No traces of the plane or any of its occupants were ever found.

    Leslie Howard, famous British film star best known for his role as Ashley Wilkes in "Gone With The Wind", who was flying from England to Portgual in 1943 when his plane also disappeared. After the war, German documents indicated they had shot it down. But there's always been a host of conspiracy theories as to why, including speculation about Howard's role as an anti-Nazi spy.

    All very intriguing stuff for a HistoryBuff like me!
    I saw a documentary a year or two ago that it was a friendly fire thing. Some RAF bombers were on their way back from a mission and needed to drop some of their bombs before landing and unfortunately a bomb hit Miller's plane. I can't say it's really what happened bit it would make sense.

  48. #248
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hicktown
    Posts
    696
    I have become really interested in Elizabeth Short. I was watching a show the other night on the ID channel about her. Steve Hodell was being interviewed and he think's his father murdered her as well as other women. He says he recognized the Black Dahlia in one of his father's photo books but it did not look like her at all! I believe he is just out to make a buck and get a little fame. What a way to do that...

  49. #249
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,133
    The Boy in the Box, also known as America's Unknown Child.



    I'm sure many of you have seen this profiled either on the Doe Network or even America's Most Wanted at some point. His naked, battered body was found in a cardboard box in the Fox Chase[/URL] section of Philadelphia February 25, 1957. Authorities estimated his age to be between four and six years old.

    This is both a sad and bizarre case which remains unsolved to this day.

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4umpa.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_in_...hiladelphia%29

    http://www.vidocq.org/northeast/boybox.html

    http://www.americasunknownchild.net
    Ive been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so, it means a lot to me. ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016.

  50. #250
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sheattle
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetlover09 View Post
    I have become really interested in Elizabeth Short. I was watching a show the other night on the ID channel about her. Steve Hodell was being interviewed and he think's his father murdered her as well as other women. He says he recognized the Black Dahlia in one of his father's photo books but it did not look like her at all! I believe he is just out to make a buck and get a little fame. What a way to do that...
    I made it half way through his book and couldn't go any further. I agree, his claims of resemblance are way off the mark unless the photos he has in his hands appear differently than how they ended up printed in the book. He goes into details calling out certain facial features/landmarks which to me don't match at all!! But he does make a extremely interesting mention of the surrealist artist Man Ray...which another book on this murder also refers to. The way her body was "posed" matches various paintings and photos taken before her murder. Google: "Exquisite Corpse: Surrealism and the Black Dahlia Murder"

    My gut feeling is that either Man Ray with or without Hodel's father did it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •