Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Patsy Cline

burgtwngrl Guest
    Love her... she had the voice of an angel grew up on her music from my mom.

BruiserBrody Guest

The Sad thing is: THEY WOULDN"T LISTEN....

The last stop Patsy Cline, Randy Hughes, Hackshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Copas every made was HERE IN MY HOMETOWN...Dyersburg, Tennessee...They stopped to re-fuel...and the airport manager told them: THERE IS A BAD STORM BREWING BACK TOWARDS NASHVILLE....Randy Hughes DIDN"T know how to fly by instruments...He flew by sight...and the manager warned him...YOU GET CAUGHT IN THAT STORM...YOU COULD BE FLYING UPSIDE DOWN AND NOT KNOW IT...They booked rooms for them here at the Old Holiday Inn and had a Car waiting to take them there....Hughes told them..."WE ARE TIRED AND WANT TO GET HOME"...We can be there in about 45 minutes to an hour...The airport manager begged them to no avail...Camden, Tennessee is as far as they made it before running into that storm...Shame, it could have been avoided...

Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post
    Small planes, that's the kicker.

Most entertainers you hear about who've died in plane crashes have died in small planes and at the hands of relatively inexperienced (if not outright amateur) pilots.

For my money, though, the most horrific aircraft-related death was that of Payne Stewart, the golfer.

Apparently, his aircraft became slowly depressurized while in the air, killing the pilot, crew, everyone. The plane did eventually crash, but the only effect the crash had was that a few stiffs got bounced around: everyone aboard had become a corpsicle long ago.

Yuck.
    Close. It was likely a rapid depressurization. If it had been slow the crew would have only needed to descend to keep everybody healthy and would have had plenty of time for the pilots to get their oxygen masks on.
    In a rapid depressurization the cabin loses pressure so quickly that at high altitude the pilots only have a few seconds of response time. Coupled with the initial disorientation (the air is literally sucked from your lungs) and the reduced visibility (The water vapor condenses and forms a thick mist), its likely the pilots were unable to locate their masks in time.
    Also Hypoxia is possibly a good way to go. Being a pilot I have experienced lower levels of hypoxia, it was very pleasant. Almost like a good alcohol buzz.
    At the very least it is likely that Stewart and the rest of the occupants were unconscious within seconds of the depressurization and never felt any pain.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgiaguy1 View Post
    here is some footage of her mama's home and some great pictures of her i have never seen before as well as whats left of the plane crash in color http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx4vn5pQcXI
    That is not the Patsy Cline plane crash in that link. According to the Ellis Nassour biography of Patsy, the plane that crashed was a green and white Piper Commanche, with the identification number of N7000P. The plane in that link is a blue and white one, with an entirely different identification number.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

I got ahead of myself in February and totally forgot yesterday.....We lost Patsy 46 years ago yesterday. Love you, Pats'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BruiserBrody View Post
    The last stop Patsy Cline, Randy Hughes, Hackshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Copas every made was HERE IN MY HOMETOWN...Dyersburg, Tennessee...They stopped to re-fuel...and the airport manager told them: THERE IS A BAD STORM BREWING BACK TOWARDS NASHVILLE....Randy Hughes DIDN"T know how to fly by instruments...He flew by sight...and the manager warned him...YOU GET CAUGHT IN THAT STORM...YOU COULD BE FLYING UPSIDE DOWN AND NOT KNOW IT...They booked rooms for them here at the Old Holiday Inn and had a Car waiting to take them there....Hughes told them..."WE ARE TIRED AND WANT TO GET HOME"...We can be there in about 45 minutes to an hour...The airport manager begged them to no avail...Camden, Tennessee is as far as they made it before running into that storm...Shame, it could have been avoided...
    Interesting story!
    Damn that they didn't listen! I can only imagine what hits Patsy would
    have had all these years.
    I still love her today.

BruiserBrody Guest

They did a documentary about it....

There is even an old PAYPHONE which is the last one Patsy ever used...They have it still at the airport...The Old man who managed the airport already had a car waiting to take them to the Holiday Inn to spend the night...He said..( Pointing towards Nashville) There is a storm brewing..You get caught in it without knowing how to fly BY YOUR INSTRUMENTS you could be flying upside down...They were in a hurry and figured they could be home ( Nashville in 30 to 45 minutes tops) Camden, Tennessee is as far as they made it...They left Dyersburg at 6:07 p.m. when they found the crash site..her watch had 6:20 p.m. ....http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1470...ne_patsy.jhtml

simon69 Guest

Patsy Cline- Just a Closer Walk With Thee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_YLMT86Os8 Remembering her, she will never be forgotten!

the corpse bride Guest
    My grandfather worked in certain circles in Nashville in the 50' and 60's. He told us two things about Patsy that I've never been able to verify. One was that her manager, Randy Hughes was the actual father of Patsy's son Randy, the other was that Patsy was going to dump not only Charlie, but also her mother Hilda because she had grown tired of supporting both of them. I don't know if either was true, and my grandfather passed away in the 80's.

deathhagcutie Guest
    whatever happend to charlie?..dead?..the kids??

BruiserBrody Guest

Her husband and children still live in Nashville...

her mother died in 1998..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patsy_Cline

BruiserBrody Guest
    Here is a pretty good link with plenty of PICS....http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/c/Patsy%20Cline/patsy_cline.htm

WDPfan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog0728 View Post
    maybe getting a little off topic here but buddy holly is not even near the same league as elvis, had buddy holly have lived his career never would have went on for 20 yeas as elvis career did. Roy Orbison had a swell (<-- 50's term) career but not near as many hits.
    To Aries
    i have been to loretta lynns in hurricane mills many times, however i never stopped in the museum thanks for the recommendation next time i go ill have to check it out not forgetting to pack my death hag sticker.

You're wrong there! Holly was huge. He was very smart, too. He would have had his own record label eventually.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    If only Patsy didnt get on that plane. I think her career wouldve soared..! I never heard about them just finding the back of her head/shoulder.. how horrible.

It's been 47 years since she passed, but we still love you, Patsy!

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    It's been 47 years since she passed, but we still love you, Patsy!
    For some reason I thought Patsy recorded "Sweet Dreams" March 5th, and was killed March 10th?

Nope, she passed on the 5th.

Thinking of Patsy today, 47 years is a long time. Her music is still popular, she was such a phenomenal talent. RIP Patsy!

Last edited by Demgirl; 03-05-2010 at 08:55 PM.

No-one in Country or popular music today is even close to the talent Patsy had. What a powerful voice and a dynamic woman! If I could go back in time, I'd love to have a conversation with her. Hell, I'd like to own and live in her dream house that's supposedly haunted by her ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Thinking of Patsy today, 47 years is a long time. Her music is still popular, she was such a phenomenal talent. RIP Patsy!

"What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

As far as I know, Charlie is still alive. Her daughter Julie had two children. One was a girl who was a talented vocalist but she was killed in a car accident when she was in her teens.

Quote Originally Posted by deathhagcutie View Post
    whatever happend to charlie?..dead?..the kids??

I downloaded a Box set of hers last week... I had no idea she did some of the more Rockabilly stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    As far as I know, Charlie is still alive. Her daughter Julie had two children. One was a girl who was a talented vocalist but she was killed in a car accident when she was in her teens.
    Here's some info. from yahoo.answers

In December 1998, Clineâ??s mother, Hilda Hensley, died at her home in Winchester, Virginia of natural causes (Cline's father had died years earlier in the 1950's). Hensley, a devout Christian, rarely granted live interviews regarding Cline because (according to Cline's daughter, Julie,)
    Cline's mother, Hilda Hensley, remembering her beloved daughter (1985)it was hard for her to speak of the daughter that she was so incredibly proud of and loved so dearly. Because Cline and her mother were so close in age, Cline often commented that her mother was also her best friend and the one person in life she could truly count on. Cline's brother died in 2004 and her sister still lives in Virginia. Patsy's husband, Charlie Dick, resides in Nashville where he has continued to be a well known member of the Country Music community, producing documentaries on Cline and other artists through his video production company. Dick is very involved with Cline's fan base and considers them an extension of family, attending many fan functions. Daughter Julie joins him representing Clineâ??s estate at public functions and has four children of her own (one, Virginia, named for Cline, was killed ironically in an automobile accident in 1994) and one grandchild, making Patsy Cline a great grandmother. Son Randy was the drummer of a Nashville band and still resides in Nashville, although he chooses not to live in the lime light of his mother's legacy. Dick's brother, Mel, is President of the "Always...Patsy Cline Fan Club". After Clineâ??s Death, Charlie Dick married singer Jamie Ryan in 1965, but the two divorced a short time later due to Dick's dedicated love for Cline. The two share a son, Chip, who is married and has two sons. Ironically, Jamie Ryan provided the vocals needed for two songs in the film Sweet Dreams, "Bill Bailey (Won't You Please Come Home)"(A Cline concert favorite for many years, she finally recorded the song in 1963 during what would turn out to be her final series of recording sessions for Decca) and "Blue Christmas" (a tune that Cline never recorded). Ryan's sound is so close to Cline's that many fans search Cline's discography trying to find these two songs, but soon discover that these tracks were remakes for the purposes of the film and weren't included on the soundtrack.
    Charlie's second marriage didn't last long.

Charlie is still alive and kickin...I met him and their daughter Julie....I lived 60 miles from Winchester a few years back........If u go to Bill's forum I posted the pics of her "museum" opening I tell ya it was no museum...I put pic of my tat of Patsy on their but I don't think they were impressed but the folks at the reclinerclub were really nice
    http://www.reclinerclub.com/

http://patsycline.proboards.com/index.cgi
    Last edited by dstrattenfan; 03-09-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Does anyone know if Patsy ever met Elvis? Just curious since I read the thing about her Elvis scrapbook....
    My Posse's On Broadway

doyleloyal Guest
    re watched Coal Miner's Daughter again for the thousandth time. Someone could've played a much better Patsy beside Beverly D'Angelo. That's just my opinion. Were her and Loretta Lynn really friends? Or was that a hollywood story?

candleinthewind Guest
    You all might understand this. A few years ago I had a miscarriage and listening to Patsy Cline was one thing that got me through it. I am always listening to music of all kinds, but at the time, Patsy felt right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Does anyone know if Patsy ever met Elvis? Just curious since I read the thing about her Elvis scrapbook....
    No she never met Elvis, she called him "The Big Hoss" she called everyone hoss....But he did send a large set of flowers for her funeral...He felt that if he showed up that it would turnout badly, with all the media and whatnot

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by doyleloyal View Post
    re watched Coal Miner's Daughter again for the thousandth time. Someone could've played a much better Patsy beside Beverly D'Angelo. That's just my opinion. Were her and Loretta Lynn really friends? Or was that a hollywood story?

Really? I thought Beverly D'Angelo did a great job portraying Patsy.

Loretta Lynn named one of her twin daughters (born about a year and a half after Cline's death) Patsy.

Town Without Pity Guest
    I find myself saying "oh they are my favorite", but in this case Patsy Cline is my all time favorite singer. I discovered her during the Disco age....I hated Disco so I had to have something else to listen to. I play her so much my husband the Head Banger find himself singing along as I've played her so much. She was like no other and I liked that she was a tough woman. I loved the movie with Jessica Lange, although I know it not to be all true. Makes me cry every time I wath it, which is alot as I own the DVD. I think Jessica did a great job. Although I love each song she recorded, I have to stick with the first Patsy Song I heard..."Walking after Midnight"....oops...time to get the CD, I feel a Patsy fix in needed. RIP Patsy, you shall never be forgotten.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Loretta Lynn named one of her twin daughters (born about a year and a half after Cline's death) Patsy.
    I wonder why the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter" portrayed Loretta as being pregnant the last time she and Patsy saw one another?

Just to help with the flow of the movie. Loretta said in her book that they took liberties with the film.

sablegsd Guest
    Love Patsy Cline.

I like to listen to her every time I fly.

i just saw Loretta Lynn in concert last week (for the second time), and she played "her favorite Patsy Cline song", She's Got You. She did such a beautiful cover of it.

I also bought a copy of Loretta's cook book "You're Cookin' It Country", which has some really great stories. A favorite is about how Patsy loved rabbit meat, and if she ever found out that Loretta had made her famous fried rabbit without inviting Patsy over for dinner, she'd get furious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Rip 48 years

48 years ago today
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Haunting_Immortal Guest
    I was around ten when my Grandmother introduced me to Patsy, she said if I really wanted to be a singer then I had to be able to sing Patsy Cline, so everytime I hear her I think of my Grandmother. RIP Patsy.

Sam Guest
    Sweet Dreams Patsy.

DonnaMc Guest
    Beautiful voice!!! RIP Patsy.

I use to watch the movie Sweet Dreams a lot as a child. I was mesmerized with her voice and the story of her life. Rest in Peace, Patsy. Heaven is truly blessed with a beautiful voice.

I watched Sweet Dreams today. I still love that movie. Anyways, got me to search for info on her and found this

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/ju...opening-in-va/

Its about dam time

stfunie Guest

Yes, she met Elvis...

Patsy Cline was actually in the audience during Elvis' very first show and was the only person who liked him. They met on a couple of occasions, and Patsy even got his # when they did a benefit for St. Judes. Her friend reported that she called the number but Elvis was not at Graceland (not a surprise).

There is a lot of misinformation going around on this thread, but that's common when it comes to Patsy, lol. At least no one here is perpetuating the myth that she was a drunk or claiming to be her cousin!

Anyway, Patsy's son told me that he believes that Hughes is his real father (as does the rest of Patsy's family), however he looks so much like Patsy that he really doesn't look like either of them. He said that Charlie has always refused a DNA test. They have definitely never been close.
    Last edited by stfunie; 09-10-2011 at 02:11 PM.

43. 08-03-2011, 06:39 PM

While I was re-reading the booklet that came with the Patsy Cline boxed set, I noticed the final sentence in her biography/fact sheet that she typed:
    "I don't want to be rich. I just want to live good."

45. 08-03-2011, 10:39 PM

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Did the museum for Patsy that they were building in Winchester, Virginia ever open? I know there was so much controversy about the person that was to manage the museum and the way she handled some of Patsy's clothes that were supposed to be displayed. Last I heard they were still trying to get enough donations to open up the museum.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

I read last week that Patsy's childhood home was restored and is now open as a museum of sorts.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleRain View Post
    I watched Sweet Dreams today. I still love that movie. Anyways, got me to search for info on her and found this

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/ju...opening-in-va/

Its about dam time
    I love sweet dreams. I saw it first when I was 7-8 and one night my mom made chicken.And I casually said..screw your baked chicken and screw you! (a line from the movie) My parents almost died laughing, then told me thats not a nice thing to say..lmao
    Love Patsy. She rocks.

I first watched when I was 10 around there..thats how I fell in love with her. My mom came in while I was watching it, and made the comment that she was best singer ever or something, then gave me a record she had, I still have that record. Im with someone else here, I think "Walking after Midnite" is my favorite.

Beefbag Guest
    Saw Loretta a couple nights ago. Her Daughter Patsy opened it up... awesome... Loretta did 4 Patsy songs and you could still see on her face the connection..

Quote Originally Posted by stfunie View Post
    I also have something to add about the crash... It is possible that the bodies passed through the propeller, but the area that they crashed in had some very dense trees, and the plane nose-dived into the earth with such impact that it created a 6" deep crater. Since it had been raining until people found the crash scene, the water had to be pumped out. To say that the bodies were "ID'd" by means of wallets can't be possible. The bodys had been turned into pulp. Yes, there was a chunk of Patsy's head/shoulder but that was pretty much it. (Well, there was a foot in a cowboy boot that a scavenger actually TOOK. Folks came and took damn near everything, even a woman with a baby was on the scene picking! The dress that Patsy wore at her final concert and Randy's money bag were never found..) It was reported to me by Patsy's son that it was impossible to "sort" the bodies.. So they just threw a little of each into a coffin. They are all intermingled with each other.
    Tell me more! I'm intrigued...

Patsy's house is now open to the public !!

From Winchester, Virginia's ABC channel 3

http://www.tv3winchester.com/home/he...126618408.html