Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patsy Cline

Patsy Cline

Next to Janis Joplin, Patsy is my favorite female vocalist. Great voice. Great phrasing. Tragic that she died so young.

She had a voice as smooth as velvet. I met Loretta Lynn at a book signing in 2002 and asked her about Patsy. "What ya want to know, hun'", was her response. She said she was the nicest person you'd ever want to meet and she'd give you the shirt right off of her back. In fact, Loretta said..she did just that many a time because Loretta was so poor.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Patsy's voice was truly incredible, and yeah, she seemed like a genuinely good person as well. I can't believe I never went to visit her home or grave site when I used to live only about an hour away. (Or the crash site when I lived in Tennessee...man, I'd better find out if there's any good death stuff in Glasgow before I move away from here!)

HippieMama Guest
    Love love LOVE Patsy . . . such a tragedy. I still get tears in my eyes when I hear one of her songs. Such a shame that her hometown has so little respect for her.
    I don't know why singers even get on planes.

Red face

When I visted Loretta Lynn's ranch in July, she has a museum there - all country/western music, and it includes a section of Patsy Cline things - some records Patsy signed for her, some clothes she gave her (yes, including that nightie!), and also - some of her make-up from the plane crash - a mangled up lipstick case and dented up compact and a few other things.

It was pretty eerie to see all that - and the rest of the things.

But I too love Patsy Cline - I got everything she ever recorded!

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
    I don't know why singers even get on planes.
    Small planes, that's the kicker.

Most entertainers you hear about who've died in plane crashes have died in small planes and at the hands of relatively inexperienced (if not outright amateur) pilots.

For my money, though, the most horrific aircraft-related death was that of Payne Stewart, the golfer.

Apparently, his aircraft became slowly depressurized while in the air, killing the pilot, crew, everyone. The plane did eventually crash, but the only effect the crash had was that a few stiffs got bounced around: everyone aboard had become a corpsicle long ago.

Yuck.

erin Guest
    I'm not fond of country music, but I ADORE Patsy Cline. She truly had an amzing voice and made you feel all sort of emotion when you listened to her. Her death was so tragic, but at least we still have her recordings to soften the blow.

patsy cline has the most moving voice. it always either moves me to tears or puts a smile on my face.

goldil Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Moron View Post

For my money, though, the most horrific aircraft-related death was that of Payne Stewart, the golfer.

Apparently, his aircraft became slowly depressurized while in the air, killing the pilot, crew, everyone. The plane did eventually crash, but the only effect the crash had was that a few stiffs got bounced around: everyone aboard had become a corpsicle long ago.

Yuck.
    I remember listening to that, kind of in real-time, on the news. Clinton was in office at the time and they had to consider shooting the plane down if there was a chance it would crash in a highly-populated area.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Patsy was the shizz. For sure!! Love her!

Cathy J. Guest
    Since 1994 I have lived in Winchester, Virginia. The hometown of Patsy Cline. Here is some facts about Patsy that many outside of Winchester may not know about.

*In many of the books about Patsy that have been published over the years, it has been said that Patsy Cline made her broadcast debut on Winchester's WINC radio. While that is true what is interesting is that depsite Patsy being a Country Music legend, WINC never was a country music radio station. WINC was during the time of Patsy Cline a Rock and Roll station. Today WINC is known as "WINK-FM" and the rock sounds continue. Winchester does have a country music station though, that being Q102 and they do NOT play Patsy Cline.

*Patsy Cline for a brief time was a morning radio disc jockey. Back in the 50s she and Bill Peer did morning at WEPM-AM, just 20 miles north of Winchester in Martinsburg, West Virginia. For many years WEPM had a pic of the two of them behind the mic in the lobby. WEPM is still there in Martinsburg. Today WEPM is a sports talk station.

*Sweet Dreams ( the Patsy Cline bio flick ) was filmed in Martinsburg because Patsy's mother who was alive at the time ( mid 80s ) refused to allow HBO to make the movie about her famous daughter in Winchester. Martinsburg was screwed as well as there was a promose between HBO and that town to not mention the name "Winchester, Virginia" anywhere in the movie. Of course Winchester was mentioned. In the beginning of Sweet Dreams. That upset Martinsburg so much that the local movie theatre threre refused to show Sweet Dreams.

*In the film "Sweet Dreams", remember that scene in the parking lot of a night club where Patsy ( Jessica Lange ) and Charlie ( Ed Harris ) was dancing to the sounds of a dj playing Sam Cooke's You Send Me? That DJ was Joe Pasquali. From the 1950s until the 80s he was the morning announcer at Winchester's WINC. He was there when Patsy Cline walked in. Well shortly before the movie was made in 1984, he was fired from WINC only to land a job doing mornings at cross town WVAI-AM. As a result, despite its connection to Patsy Cline, WINC refused to allow HBO to use their call letters in the movie.

*A few years back a local bar in Winchester called "Neighbors" held a drag show event. One of the guys on stage dressed up as Patsy and sang "Walking After Midnight". This upset Winchester, well at least the city council there. So much so that Winchester actually pulled that bar's liquor license and soon the bar closed. Not really a surprise since Winchester has been called in the past America's most homophobic city.

*Winchester does have a Patsy Cline Blvd. Kohls & Lowes are located there.

*One of the first bars where Patsy sang is now a motorcylce shop. Hunts Cycle Shack on Route 50 west of Winchester. I heard the stage is still there. However the place where Patsy made her first record G&M Music is defunct as they went out of business back in the mid 90s.

*There is talk about a Patsy Cline themed restaurant coming to Winchester in the soon to open George Washington Hotel and also talk about renaming Winchester's airport to "Patsy Cline Field" so far far those are only rumors.

*Actor David Arquette like Patsy is from Winchester, Virginia.
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 10-07-2007 at 11:13 PM.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Ah, Winchester, Virginia, also home to the World's Largest Rollerskate!

Tugboat25 Guest
    Singularly, the finest female vocalist of all time.
    (one man's opinion).

RoRo Guest
    My hometown is Camden Tn where the plane went down. My daddy was one of the first to get there and used to tell me about it. (I was born in 65) The yearly memorial is Camden's main claim to fame. I met her hubby and sons in a video store where I worked when the movie came out on video...was very surprised the studio didn't give them personal copies of the movie.
    Also the ending of that movie is waaaay wrong ...it was dark and they crashed ito trees in a gully area NOT into the side of a rock facing. No one knew who they were at first because they were so messed up.....

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:46 AM.

RoRo Guest

Patsy's plane crash

Heres a link to a good info site on the plane crash...
    http://www.tennesseeconcerts.com/patsyclinecrash.html

17. 10-20-2007, 12:52 PM

travnut Guest
    I have a cousin buried in the same cemetery as Patsy Cline.

My parents visited the cemetery many years ago and my mother ask the caretaker to show her where Pasty is buried. The caretaker took my parents to a corner of the cemetery and Patsy is buried under her maden/married name Virginia Hensely Dick.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    has anyone heard anything about some rich guy buying up her stuff?? seems like i read it in the paper or online that some guy bough her car, her clothes and someother stuff out of her house.

BamaDeathHag Guest
    My Mom met Pasty when she was 6 years old. She said she remembers that Pasty was very friendly and that she was real pretty. Mom says she had on red lipstick and red nail polish and told my mom what a little doll she was, and that she hugged her. Lucky Mom!! I guess my Mom is the reason why I know the words to all of Pasty's songs!

If any of ya'll visit Loretta Lynn's Ranch in Hurricane Mills, TN, check out her museum. She's got a section of Patsy Cline stuff - including some make-up things (compact, lipstick case) that was recovered from the plane crash. Pretty eerie to look at, especially since they are all dented and bashed up.

As weird as it is, I never was a "FAN" of Patsy, but her spot on this site is what made me a "DEATH HAG". Now I'm hooked!
    And P.S. She's the reason I also got hooked on Neko Case. I just think Neko sounds like Patsy.

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]While she may have been listed in the Country or Country Crossover section, I think her voice was so pure it almost defied classification. She was definitely in a category of her own. [/SIZE]

Last edited by BeeCee; 11-03-2007 at 09:15 AM.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    If any of ya'll visit Loretta Lynn's Ranch in Hurricane Mills, TN, check out her museum. She's got a section of Patsy Cline stuff - including some make-up things (compact, lipstick case) that was recovered from the plane crash. Pretty eerie to look at, especially since they are all dented and bashed up.
    But the best piece of memorabilia is Patsy's alarm clock which is stopped at the precise moment of impact. It's on display at one of the C&W museums in Nashville (the exact one escapes me at the moment).

I must of stared at that clock for 5 minutes before moving to the next exhibit.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone Tourist View Post
    But the best piece of memorabilia is Patsy's alarm clock which is stopped at the precise moment of impact. It's on display at one of the C&W museums in Nashville (the exact one escapes me at the moment).

I must of stared at that clock for 5 minutes before moving to the next exhibit.
    What time was it?

26. 11-03-2007, 12:56 PM

27. 11-03-2007, 01:02 PM

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JayneFan View Post
    Patsy in Las Vegas -- Nov/Dec 1962.
    That woman's voice is the envy of female vocalists Everywhere (or should be).

29. 11-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Tugboat25 Guest
    In my my opinion (and to countless other), it's the greatest female voice of all time. She could do anything with that voice, and she was a great interpreter of songs. She's timeless....transcends all musical genres. She was also a great entertainer....she had charisma and a magnetic personality. There will never be another like her. She died too young when she could have given us much more.
    Well said JayneFan.
    Right on target.

31. 11-03-2007, 01:28 PM

They broke the mold after Patsy. NO ONE can hold a candle to her and her voice.

Ralph Emery wrote some really cool stuff about Patsy in his books. Apparently she didn't take shit from no one, and was "one of the guys" off stage. (meaning she could drink and swear like the rest of them!)

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    They broke the mold after Patsy. NO ONE can hold a candle to her and her voice.

Ralph Emery wrote some really cool stuff about Patsy in his books. Apparently she didn't take shit from no one, and was "one of the guys" off stage. (meaning she could drink and swear like the rest of them!)
    Very often, men are considered for vocal accolades and that's fine.
    Very often it's the men who are mentioned as having great voices and that's ok too but NO ONE, Anywhere, Ever can match the true GREATNESS of Patsy Cline.
    Patsy's sound, her range, her interpretation was second to none.
    The only other person who could control his voice and get every emotion and note was Elvis Presley.
    There's a reason why those two are the finest vocalist the world has ever known.
    Everything must start with Patsy and Elvis.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    I'd put Buddy Holly before Elvis, but obviously Elvis is more recognized historically for some reason.

I'll have to put both Buddy and Roy Orbison before Elvis....Roy's "cryin" gets me every time! sniff!

Tugboat25 Guest
    I understand what you mean but the fact of the matter is, Elvis did what he he did way before Buddy did.
    I LOVE both Elvis and Buddy but Elvis was the big bang of rock and roll and Buddy was not.
    Buddy Holly was GREAT but Elvis was remarkable.

37. 11-04-2007, 12:37 PM

bulldog0728 Guest
    maybe getting a little off topic here but buddy holly is not even near the same league as elvis, had buddy holly have lived his career never would have went on for 20 yeas as elvis career did. Roy Orbison had a swell (<-- 50's term) career but not near as many hits.
    To Aries
    i have been to loretta lynns in hurricane mills many times, however i never stopped in the museum thanks for the recommendation next time i go ill have to check it out not forgetting to pack my death hag sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog0728 View Post
    To Aries:
    i have been to loretta lynns in hurricane mills many times, however i never stopped in the museum thanks for the recommendation next time i go ill have to check it out not forgetting to pack my death hag sticker.
    Just FYI - there is no picture taking allowed in the museum. I guess the flash ruins the colors on the clothing and stuff in there (or so I heard). But if you can sneak a photo of Patsy's stuff - that would be a bonus!

I can't believe you never went in there - it's amazing!

There is ONE singer out there who almost sounds just like Patsy Cline. She portrayed her on stage "Always, Patsy Cline" ....Mandy Barnett. If any of you have never heard of her - buy her "Always, Patsy Cline" one (which was one of the shows they taped), and tell me she doesn't sound like her.

She's only has three albums out and Nashville won't have much to do with her - which is amazes me, since she can outsing a lot of these so-called singers out there right now.

Mandy even worked with Owen Bradley on her second album before he passed away. His brother stepped in to help finish it.
    Last edited by Aries65; 11-04-2007 at 05:16 PM.

TNpuck Guest
    It's because she's considered a Patsy clone. The Nashville music industry is unique in that it really is a click. If you're out, you're out.

Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    It's because she's considered a Patsy clone. The Nashville music industry is unique in that it really is a click. If you're out, you're out.
    Well, Mandy looks nothing like Patsy - altho she is gorgeous!

And she doesn't sound like Patsy with all her songs. But she does have a beautiful voice.

There's been others who have been compared to Patsy. Such as LeAnn Rimes when she first came out with her song "Blue". I never thought LeAnn ever sounded like Patsy back then - more like Brenda Lee.

And then there was k.d. lang who was compared also to Patsy Cline when she first hit the Country music scene back in the mid-80's. I never thought she sounded like Patsy either when she sang covers of her songs. k.d. has a sound all of her own. Altho k.d. has mentioned in the past she feels as if she is the reincarnation of Patsy in some ways and mentioned in the book and movie "Walking After Midnight" that she had dreams about Patsy when she was younger, and also how after she first started singing, she happened to look at one of her Patsy Cline albums and saw that Patsy had written a message for her on it.

Yeah, I thought the whole thing was weird also. But those who know about k.d. and how she was early in her career before she left country to start singing jazz stuff will know all about the Patsy Cline connection with k.d. lang.
    Last edited by Aries65; 11-05-2007 at 07:07 AM.

cherryghost Guest
    Despite everything she was always so glamorous too! Cherryghost watches Ghostwhisper 6 degrees even in Australia! Wow!

Danny62 Guest
    On March 5th, 1963, when Patsy Cline hopped on a plane in terrible weather. "I'm really going to be worried about you," Dottie West told her, "flying in this weather." "Don't worry 'bout me," Cline replied. "When it's my time to go, it's my time..."
    Last edited by Danny62; 11-16-2007 at 05:27 AM.

"Hoss..if that lil ol bug is gonna go down with me in it...that's just the way it's gonna be".-Patsy Cline.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

1karenhb Guest
    What an incredible voice she had. If you ever get a chance to see the play "Always Patsy Cline" do it. I saw it with Sally Struthers and I don't remember who played Patsy, but she was great.

Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    What an incredible voice she had. If you ever get a chance to see the play "Always Patsy Cline" do it. I saw it with Sally Struthers and I don't remember who played Patsy, but she was great.
    Mandy Barnett did it a few years back and they released it out on CD. Her resemblence (vocally) to Patsy is uncanny. Go on Amazon.com and pull it up and listen to the clips of the songs for yourself!
    Last edited by Aries65; 07-30-2008 at 01:19 PM.

CCB72 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Heres a link to a good info site on the plane crash...
    http://www.tennesseeconcerts.com/patsyclinecrash.html

Thanks for that info...I figured the bodies found would have been pieces rather than intact. What a shame Patsy had to go that way....

KristinEileen Guest
    Patsy Cline was my first death hag moment....I love her voice, her poise, and her passion for music..

Quote Originally Posted by CCB72 View Post
    Thanks for that info...I figured the bodies found would have been pieces rather than intact. What a shame Patsy had to go that way....
    In a book I read about Roy Orbison, they mentioned Patsy Cline's death and how all they had found of her was the back of her head and shoulders intact - and that's about it.

51. 11-20-2007, 04:57 PM

CCB72 Guest
    Wow...now I'm glad I didnt go into that line o' work...yuck

RoRo Guest
    from what I understand and have always heard was part of Patsy's head and shoulder with one breast were found resting against a tree trunk, this is how they knew it was a woman...not anywhere near a whole body.They really didn't know when they got on scene who was in the plane or how many. I was born, grew up and still have family in Camden Tn and the funeral home workers who were in charge of the recovery of bodies there have always said there were no large body parts found...most of the remains were picked up and put in buckets. I have always heard the largest part found was a leg which was hanging in tree branches. My dad was among the first on the scene and helped clear away some of the brush.

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    from what I understand and have always heard was part of Patsy's head and shoulder with one breast were found resting against a tree trunk, this is how they knew it was a woman...not anywhere near a whole body.They really didn't know when they got on scene who was in the plane or how many. I was born, grew up and still have family in Camden Tn and the funeral home workers who were in charge of the recovery of bodies there have always said there were no large body parts found...most of the remains were picked up and put in buckets. I have always heard the largest part found was a leg which was hanging in tree branches. My dad was among the first on the scene and helped clear away some of the brush.
    That's just sad to know - being carried away in a BUCKET. I knew there was never much left of Patsy to find, and just sad (and sort of humiliating) to be ID'd by a certain body part - especially as a famous and well-loved person.

55. 11-21-2007, 11:43 AM

....and it was Patsy's body. With the exception of the back of her head, her left shoulder and arm, Patsy's body was pretty much intact. I shouldn't say this, but a lady talked to one of the people from the morgue a few years ago and he described the horror look on Patsy's face....she wished she hadn't heard that.
    Yikes...that's a horrible image to think about of Patsy...

57. 11-21-2007, 12:25 PM

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Patsy's plane Crash was 45 years ago tomorrow.

RIP Patsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patsy5.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	4195  
    Last edited by Queen_Death_Hag; 03-04-2008 at 08:35 PM.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    On March 5th, 1963, when Patsy Cline hopped on a plane in terrible weather. "I'm really going to be worried about you," Dottie West told her, "flying in this weather." "Don't worry 'bout me," Cline replied. "When it's my time to go, it's my time..."
    Patsy wrote her will on the airplane. Leaving her kids to be raised by her mother or sister. I think she was planning to dump Charlie and he wasn;t even mentioned in the will