Thread: Jack Wild

Lifeisafataldisease Guest

Jack Wild

Another "former child star" who bit it hard. Man he looked rough before he checked out of Living Island!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.R._Pufnstuf

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...ild-obit_x.htm

sad story.

Bake Guest
    I remember HR Pufnstuf how sad...

StricklandFOREVER Guest
    While I was looking up Jack Wild I found this photo...does anyone know who the kid in the middle is? I remember him, but can't figure out how.....thanks in advance.

Cataroo Guest
    ^^^Isn't the kid in the middle Lance Kerwin??

StricklandFOREVER Guest
    YES! That' s his name!! Thanks Bunches!! It was killing me.....lol

And by the way...GO REDSKINS!! I'm a huge fan too!

bunkin91 Guest

Jack Wild - H R Pufnstuf

Just in case anyone's interested.....Here's a rare photo of Jack and Puf relaxing on the set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pufnstufunmasked.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	310  

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    I remember seeing him in the original Salem's Lot movie. His name might be Brad Savage.

Cataroo Guest
    Ok ... back on topic. I think Jack Wild was my very first "crush". I remember my mother taking me to go see the movie "Oliver" and thinking how cute the Artful Dodger was. My crush lasted through HR Pufnstuf ... then he just vanished ...

It was so sad to see how the years had taken a toll on him.
    Last edited by Cataroo; 10-26-2007 at 01:46 PM.

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    I remember how cute and famous he was when I was real young. That picture of him is sobering. No pun intended. Poor guy.

scarletfever1971 Guest
    They must not have shown reruns of this because I've never heard of Jack Wild or Pufnstuff....

Reecy Guest
    He did die rough looking. Maybe it was the throat cancer. Poor thing.

Sadly Wild was well into his smoking habit when he did Pufnstuff.

When my aunt passed away she left behind a ton of old movie magazines ( mainly the long defunct TV-Radio Mirror ) but among there were some old vintage 16, Flip and Tiger Beat magazines fromthe early 70s.

In one issue of Flip they ran an editoral about how they would never again show a pic of a "teen fav" smoking a cigarette because of the uproar that happened when they dared showed Wild smoking a cigarette on the set of Pufnstuff. Most of the letters from the kids of the day BEGGED Jack Wild to kick the habit.

Sadly he never did.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    Sadly Wild was well into his smoking habit when he did Pufnstuff.

When my aunt passed away she left behind a ton of old movie magazines ( mainly the long defunct TV-Radio Mirror ) but among there were some old vintage 16, Flip and Tiger Beat magazines fromthe early 70s.

In one issue of Flip they ran an editoral about how they would never again show a pic of a "teen fav" smoking a cigarette because of the uproar that happened when they dared showed Wild smoking a cigarette on the set of Pufnstuff. Most of the letters from the kids of the day BEGGED Jack Wild to kick the habit.

Sadly he never did.
    omg this breaks my heart... i had no idea he had passed, or that his life was so rough... he looked 103 not 53! i had a huge crush on this guy even though he was a little tiny guy.... i probably outweighed him by 50 pounds back then!

soapbox time.... i swear to god, i get so mad when the press prints pix of Britney Spears and other teen idols smoking... it is so irresponsible.... how easy it would be to photoshop a cigarette butt out... not to make the star look better for their sake, but to de-glorify smoking to young kids... yikes!

Sus

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StricklandFOREVER View Post
    While I was looking up Jack Wild I found this photo...does anyone know who the kid in the middle is? I remember him, but can't figure out how.....thanks in advance.
    Oh I loved this kid and his show "James at 16"... he was awesome...

S

He was great in Oliver. I remember watching him in Puff'nstuff. Those Sid and Marty Kroft shows ruled Saturday morning TV back then.

RoRo Guest
    When I saw his name listed in the credits for Robin Hood I watched it again trying to spot him....now I know why I didn't recognize him....lord he looked rough....bless his heart

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    When I saw his name listed in the credits for Robin Hood I watched it again trying to spot him....now I know why I didn't recognize him....lord he looked rough....bless his heart
    yup, the years were not kind to Jack.... Sus

In that photo, he looks like he could be 80. So sad and so needless.

DeadRinger Guest
    Jack was a favourite of mine in Oliver!, although HR Pufnstuf scared me.

OBX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post
    Ok ... back on topic. I think Jack Wild was my very first "crush". I remember my mother taking me to go see the movie "Oliver" and thinking how cute the Artful Dodger was. My crush lasted through HR Pufnstuf ... then he just vanished ...

It was so sad to see how the years had taken a toll on him.
    My first crush was in Oliver too and it was Nancy. And then when Oliver Reed killed her, I hated him for life.

leevancleef Guest
    Oh Lord, was he looking rough....
    He did a magnificent job in Oliver, i love that film.

He was one of the Merry Men in Robin Hood. One of my first crushes, too.

pull the string!

Martini Guest

He was my first crush. I remember my dad taking me to see the Pufnstuf movie every weekend for 4 weeks straight, I would go on both Saturday and Sunday and sit for 3 shows per day (when you were allowed to do that!). So sad when he passed away. I seem to recall that whe was working on his autobiography, but I haven't heard anything more about it.

lisalouver Guest
    WOW.

I had no idea.

What a sad picture and a sad story.

I loved Pufnstuf

Sort of similar, I just read in this weeks people that Roger Ebert (the movie guy) still is unable to talk after many surgeries from his mouth cancer.

He is hopeful that he can regain his speech. I can not imagine one day just not being able to talk.

KarmaKat Guest
    Like many here Jack was my first crush also. I was convinced at for years old that we were going to run away to living island and get married. Of course this was in the 80's and I was watching re runs. PufnStuf the movie was played every school holidays here and I would watch it and fall back in love with him every time. When he passed I cryed more than any celebrity death I think. It was the day before the oscars and I remember being so annoyed because they did not include him (forgot they have a cut off period). At least they included him the following year (but I cried again). lol I am a wuss.

cherryghost Guest
    He was the cutest child a manchild with great wonder and yet knowledge, he was sexy to me even when I was a child, I also had a huge crush on him, he was gorgous.
    Later I went onto Bud Cort in "Harold and Maude" Manchilds with charisma!

Dylgem22 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    He was the cutest child a manchild with great wonder and yet knowledge, he was sexy to me even when I was a child, I also had a huge crush on him, he was gorgous.
    Later I went onto Bud Cort in "Harold and Maude" Manchilds with charisma!
    I am only familiar with Jack Wild from watching "Oliver!" and some reruns of HR Pufnstuff on TV .. when I used to watch Oliver! when I was a kid and teenager, I used to "crush" on him, knowing at the time he was no longer the cute, Artful Dodger!! LOL Still, he was a cutie!!

And Cherryghost, that is funny to me you crushed on Bud Cort .. I guess I was just "ruined" on him because the first movie I ever saw him in was "Hysterical" in the 80s ..and he is hideous in that movie!! LOL but after seeing Harold and Maude as an adult, I can see the "attraction"!!

simon69 Guest

Jack Wild

Date of Birth

30 September 1952, Royton, near Oldham, Lancashire, England, UK

Date of Death

2 March 2006, Tebworth, Bedfordshire, England, UK (tongue and throat cancer)

Height

5' 8" (1.73 m)

Mini Biography

Born September 30, 1952, in Royton, near Oldham, England, Jack Wild was discovered by talent agent June Collins, mother of rock star Phil Collins. His breakthrough came when he landed the role of Oliver in the London stage production of "Oliver!" When it came to casting the film, the role of the Artful Dodger went to Jack, a role that resulted in his getting an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. Fresh from this success, Jack was offered the lead role in the American television series "H.R. Pufnstuf" (1969). This Sid Krofft and Marty Krofft production featured Wild as a boy marooned in an enchanted land with puppets and actors in elaborate costumes. Other characters included Mayor Pufnstuf, a friendly dragon, and the evil Witchipoo (more than a nod to the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz (1939)), who schemes to steal his magic talking flute for herself. The success of this program led to Wild reprising the role for the film version, Pufnstuf (1970). Other roles followed, including Melody (1971) and Flight of the Doves (1971). Around the same time, Wild released three albums ("The Jack Wild Album"; "Everything's Coming up Roses,"featuring along with cover numbers a couple of new songs written by up-and-coming songwriter Lynsey De Paul; and "Beautiful World"). By 1972, however, he was already being demoted to the role of supporting actor for The Pied Piper (1972). He also appeared in "Our Mutual Friend" (1976). More recently, he returned to films in two small roles: the miller's son in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) and a peddler in Basil (1998). Wild underwent surgery for oral cancer in July 2004, and had some vocal cords and part of his tongue removed. Unfortunately, the cancer proved untreatable and he died on 1 March 2006.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: A. Nonymous

Spouse

Claire Harding(September 2005 - 2 March 2006) (his death)Gaynor Jones(February 1976 - 1985) (divorced)

Trivia

The Steven Patrick Morrissey song, "Little Man, What Now," which describes a child star long faded from the spotlight, is widely believed to be about Jack Wild, although some sources claim that it is Malcolm McFee who is referred to in the song.
    Toured the United Kingdom as "Bob Cratchit" in "A Christmas Carol" and also appeared in pantomime.
    Ex-wife Gay was a backup singer for various artists, including David Essex.
    Jack's minor role in his last film Moussaka & Chips (2005) reunited him with his Oliver! (1968) co-star Ron Moody.
    Was working on his autobiography at the time of his death of mouth cancer, which was prompted by years of heavy smoking and excessive drinking.
    Came from a working-class family. His father worked in a tire factory and moved Jack and older brother Arthur from Manchester to London while Jack was still young.
    Knew singer Phil Collins when they were youngsters, and played football with him. Collins's mother, a theatrical agent, entered both Jack and his brother Arthur Wild into the Barbara Speake Stage School, a training facility for kid professionals.
    Brother Arthur Wild played the title role in the West End production of "Oliver!" and Jack played one of "the boys." Auditioning for the role of the Artful Dodger several times, he was always turned down for being too short. It was only after he played the character in the celebrated screen version that he was offered the role on stage.
    Nominated for an Oscar in 1968 for his Oliver! (1968) role, he attended the Academy Awards ceremony on April 14, 1969, and had been assured he was a front- runner in the Supporting Actor category. He initially stood up when the category was announced and he heard the name "Jack." He sat down just as quickly when the full name of the winner was announced--Jack Albertson.
    Won the "8th Annual Gold Star Award" from "16" magazine as the "Best Movie Actor" and "Most Promising TV Star" of 1969.
    Received a special tribute as part of the Annual Memorial tribute at The 79th Annual Academy Awards (2007) (TV).

TallulahDahling Guest
    Wow--I loved Puffnstuf--especially the flute.

simon69 Guest

Cast: Jack WildJimmyBillie HayesWitchiepooRoberto GamonetH. R. PufnstufSharon BairdShirley Pufnstuf/Judy the Frog/Lady BoydJoy CampbellOrson/ClingAngelo RossittoSeymour/ClangLennie WeinribVoice of H.R. Pufnstuf (and others)Joan GerberFreddy the Flute (and other voices)Walker EdmistonVarious voices
    Air Dates:
    On NBC, from 9/6/69 - 9/4/71
    On ABC, from 9/16/72 - 9/1/74

Number of Episodes:

Plot Synopsis:

While out by the sea one day, Jimmy, a teenager, and Freddie, his talking flute, were lured to a boat. The boat was sent by Witchiepoo, an evil witch who wanted Freddie. Once Jimmy and Freddie had taken off in the boat, Witchiepoo changed it into an evil ship. Jimmy and Freddie were rescued by H. R. Pufnstuf, a talking dragon who is the mayor of Living Island. On Living Island, everything on the island is actually living, including trees, flowers, books and candles (hence the name, Living Island).
    Throughout the series, Jimmy tried to return home and Witchiepoo tried to get Freddie - neither of them ever suceeded.

Comments:

Technically, Pufnstuff did not start in the 1970s. It originally aired in 1969 and was into reruns by the time the decade arrived. Since it continued to air on Saturdays until September 73 (and continued on Sunday mornings for an additional year) and was the show that started the whole slew of Krofft shows on Saturday morning and ushered in a whole new era of live action Saturday morning shows in the 70s, I felt it had to be included on this site. Although there was only one season of new episodes, the show spawned a feature length film, Pufnstuf, in 1970.
    Pufnstuf and Witchiepoo, along with various other secondary characters, were brought back from time to time for appearances on other Saturday morning Krofft shows (including the Krofft Superstar Hour/Bay City Rollers Show), live events, and prime time series, like the Krofft produced Brady Bunch Hour and even CHiPs.

News:

(May 2008) Once again, a three hour block of Krofft shows are airing on cable in California. Currently, Pufnstuff is airing as part of the block. More information is available here.
    Paul Lynde Halloween Special was released on DVD on October 2, 2007. The 1976 special features an appearance by Billie Hayes as Witchiepoo, along with Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West. Other guests include Betty White, Tim Conway, Florence Henderson, and the rock group KISS

I loved him as a young one. Was shocked when he died to see how he looked and what he had been through. Sad.

simon69 Guest
    I had a childhood crush on this guy, loved the showback then and bought it on DVD a few years back.
    Last edited by simon69; 03-01-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Oh, I loved him in Oliver and it is only his face that I see for that role.
    H.R. Pufnstuf was after my day but I watched it with my younger sisters
    and never knew the character, Jimmy, was Jack Wild. So sad to see how
    devastated he looks in that upper left photo, Simon. He was such a cute
    little boy.

RIP Jack Wild

Guest Guest
    HR Pufnstuf was great if you enjoy drugs!
    Jack lived fast, spent fast and died from excess. Liked him in 'Oliver'. Have seen that film loads of times and though it is now as annoying as 'The sound of music', it is rightfully a classic.

Elizabeth Guest

Jack

I loved this guy--one of my very first celebrity crushes, and I loved him in "Pufnstuf" and "Oliver!" Very sad, his death....

cherryghost Guest
    I thought he was gorgous as a young one! Very sad to see him end that way!

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    I loved him as a young one. Was shocked when he died to see how he looked and what he had been through. Sad.
    I agree, so sad.

I hadnt seen a pic of him as an adult.
    Loved him in Oliver and HRP (and I was a kid, so NO drugs involved! lol)

Jazbabee Guest
    Always felt he was vastly talented, and sad to see that his career basically stalled and didn't go very far. I wonder if this was due to mismanagement or just bad breaks ??

Very sad.

orionova Guest
    I love the movie Melody, which he was in. Great film, great soundtrack. You can watch it on Google videos here ---> http://tinyurl.com/9ygtay

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I loved this guy--one of my very first celebrity crushes, and I loved him in "Pufnstuf" and "Oliver!" Very sad, his death....
    What a sad story... I love Pufnstuf too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDek65rnHhY

This was a really nice, if sad, article about Jack Wild's last years, by a producer who became his friend, and a tribute to Jack's second wife Claire, which had accompanied the third picture above.

attribution:
    http://www.thestage.co.uk/features/f...1856/jack-wild

Jack Wild

By Charles Vance

Published Wednesday 8 March 2006 at 16:20

Sixties child star and charismatic performer Jack Wild died on March 2, aged 53. He first came to international attention playing the Artful Dodger in Lionel Bart’s Oliver! (1968) and went on to appear in films and TV shows until a lenghty battle with alcohol addiction sent his career into decline.

It is paradoxical that the quintessential Cockney kid was actually born in Royton, Lancashire on September 30, 1952, moving to London in 1960. Four years later he made his theatre debut playing Charlie Bates, one of Fagin’s gang, in the original production of Lionel Bart’s Oliver. Like his contemporary, Andrew Ray of The Mudlark fame, Wild was in constant demand for child roles on TV until the big break came in 1968, when he successfully auditioned for the role of the Artful Dodger in the Hollywood film of the musical. A year later he was nominated for an Oscar for best supporting actor.

By the age of 16 international celebrity was literally thrust on him when he signed a million-dollar contract for his own US TV series HR Pufnstuf, a contract with Columbia Pictures and another million-dollar contract with Capitol Records. He went on to achieve global fame in films like Pufnstuf - The Movie (1970), Flight of the Doves (1971) and Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (1991).

In the seventies he returned to England to repeat his Dodger role in Oliver and to star in The Wizard of Oz. Amongst a host of other starring roles, he won fame in Bill Kenwright’s staging of Big Sin City. He returned to the States to star in the Hollywood Bowl in his Pufnstuf role and made non-stop guest appearances on top TV shows, including the Bing Crosby Xmas Show, the Kraft Musical Hall Show and the Joey Bishop Show. It was the same in England, with guest star appearances on TV with such headliners as Harry Secombe, Liberace, Jimmy Tarbuck and Englebert Humperdinck credits.

But the crash was still to come as his life became a repetition of that slippery slope downtrodden by so many of his child star predecessors and he went through most of the seventies and eighties in a self-confessed drunken haze, which quickly took him out of the A-list. But Wild was tenacious and a fighter and by 1989 he conquered his addiction and for the last 17 years of his life he was a model of sobriety.

I had the great pleasure of bringing him back to the theatre when he starred as Simple Simon in Babes in the Wood at the Connaught Theatre Worthing. That was a momentous time for him, because in the cast was Claire Harding, who was destined to dedicate her life to his return to health and happiness. Their joint professional highlight came in 2002, when I cast them as co-stars to Victor Spinetti and Clive Francis in our Ealing Comedy tour of The Lavender Hill Mob.

But the profligacy of that dreadful decade of alcohol dependence was to take its toll and in the last three or so years he and his beloved Claire hit the headlines as they fought to stem the cancer that was taking over his life. Major magazines like Hello! ran features of their secluded life in Bedfordshire, covering their marriage and the dreadful operation that resulted in his losing his tongue and voice box. But nothing was going to daunt this remarkable couple and last Christmas they both appeared in pantomime, with Claire doing the talking for both of them.

Our love goes out that remarkable lady, to whom Jack owed the last decade of his life, during which he spent most hours researching and writing his autobiography,
    Last edited by Linnie; 03-12-2009 at 10:34 AM.

TheMysterian Guest
    My kids grew up watching Jack and friends in H.R. Puff n Stuff,and the rest of of those Sid and Marty Krofft shows!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250px-Pufnstuf.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	13055  

Sad about Jack. Looking at his features as a child, I'm not so sure this guy really had a chance at aging well, but no doubt the drink and smoke didn't help at all.

What I didn't know is that they only filmed 1 season of HR Puf N Stuff! What a gyp! It seemed like it was on forever when I was a kid, but it was always a rerun, no wonder!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Meow Guest
    Loved HR Puf N Stuff It had such a great theme song and Jack really was perfect for the lead role. There was a time where seeing him grace the cover of any given teen magazine was simply unavoidable. And who'd want to avoid it--- he was super cute!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jackwild.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	44535