Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Drake

Nick Drake

Are there any Nick Drake fans in the house? I've just recently discovered him. He was brilliant!

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:52 AM.

keef Guest

Thumbs up

Well I've registered on the forum just so I can reply in the affirmative, joplinfrk

I only discovered Nick Drake's music about five years ago but I can't recall or even imagine a time when I didn't have those three albums to listen to. By coincidence I live about fifteen minutes from Tanworth-In-Arden where he lived & is buried.

I regularly spend an hour or so in the graveyard listening to Pink Moon & admiring the beautiful view of the Warwickshire countryside. Good to see him mentioned here.

K.

P.S. Great move setting up the forum, Scott - I've loved your site for years & have lost entire nights poring over the articles

LOVE Nick Drake!

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post

P.S. Great move setting up the forum, Scott - I've loved your site for years & have lost entire nights poring over the articles

i too have had many a sleepless night because i want to stay up and dig through FAD articles!!

Great to hear that I'm not alone!

BobbyJrsy Guest
    I'm a huge N. Drake fan. I hope to make the voyage to visit his grave at some point. There is an excellent book about his life and death...if I can find it in my books, I will email you the title.

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:50 AM.

atlantis Guest
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who has lost many a night to FAD!! It's 3:37 a.m. here and I am totally glassy-eyed now that I've found this forum!. I'll try and drag myself out of this room into my bed soon. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

Morrissey Guest
    I'm a big Drake fan.

I actually listened to him for a while, NOT knowing he was dead.

I felt pretty stupid when my dad told me.

orionova Guest
    I've been a big fan of Nick's for years now. It's good to see that he hasn't been forgotten.

MaryAnne29 Guest
    I just saw a documentary on Starz a few weeks about Nick Drake which was fascinating. I had always thought he was just another 70's drug casualty but he was much more complex than that. And to know what he went through made his music all the more amazing.

I heard Heath Ledger mention he was fascinated by his life. Interesting since Drake was an insomniac as well.

Ted Challinor Guest

Wink Drake doc

Was it this one [in several parts]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPM9uRZ3tN0

im quite interested in him. he was stunningly beautiful
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

cachluv Guest

Jazbabee Guest
    Never heard of him, but now everybody has me interested......anybody have any good sites or info on him ??

cachluv Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ke&search_type=

there is a two part documentary there as well
    you can really hear his soul.

janel Guest
    Every time I hear him sing or look into his eyes in photos I feel so sad. It seemed like he felt he was truely alone in this world. In documentaries you hear people say how they never really knew him.

onekindsistah Guest
    Definately love Nick Drake!

cherryghost Guest
    Love his music and he is on my ipod when I paint! Very sad life and his melancholic music is beautiful!

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

23. 06-15-2008, 05:51 PM

LOVE Phil Ochs!

Yes, Nick just oozes sadness but, in a "don't feel sorry for me" kind of way. I guess it was just his lot in this life and it gave us some pretty intense music.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Seagorath Guest
    Five Leaves Left is a fantastic album...I also dig Bryter Layter.

Sphr798 Guest
    Northern Sky is a beautiful song. I can listen to that one over and over.

Seagorath Guest

Morrissey Guest
    River Man is hauntingly beautiful -- the video for it is so creepy.

Someone put him in it, and he just seems like...well, a ghost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEAsZa4Qz2Y

Seagorath Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JestersKiss View Post
    Love Nick Drake. 5 Leaves Left is My Favorite album...Day is Done is my favorite song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2jxjv0HkwM

jeca Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Love Nick Drake. 5 Leaves Left is My Favorite album...Day is Done is my favorite song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2jxjv0HkwM

That is such a beautiful song.

RIPWELLSTONE Guest

Nick Drake

Nick Drake was a WONDERFUL musician!!!! A friend turned me on to him in the late 80's and I still listen to his music pretty regularly.. Haunting.. Sad.. Beautiful..

John Connor Guest
    I love Nick. So tragic man. Rippin'.

Seagorath Guest
    Awesome photo!

Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I love Nick. So tragic man. Rippin'.

fultondyke Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese View Post
    re Heath Ledger, that's very interesting.

Any Phil Ochs fans?
    Love both Nick and Phil....I've got a good biography of Phil Ochs...its worth a read if you ever come across it...

letty1970 Guest
    OMG i CANT BELIEVE I MISSED THIS THREAD i LOVE nICK dRAKE. rEALLY GOT INTO HIM ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO (couldnt be arsed to change bloody capitals)and have got allot of friends and family into him to. Sorry about the messy post.

RIPWELLSTONE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fultondyke View Post
    Love both Nick and Phil....I've got a good biography of Phil Ochs...its worth a read if you ever come across it...
    "I dreamed I saw Phil Oaks last night" (Billy Bragg) Phil Oaks was a folk singer/song writer who actually had a really nice singing voice.. 50 Phil Ochs can't be wrong!!!

Ms. Black Guest
    I love listening to Nick Drake singing "Fly."

RIPWELLSTONE Guest
    My favorite Nick Drake songs..
    Black-Eyed Dog
    Man in a Shed

orionova Guest
    Has anyone here listened to 'Family Album'? Listen to his mother singing, and it's easy to see where Nick got his talent.

Only three albums in his lifetime, but every one is a gem.

rockalittle Guest

Is there a thread on here for Nick Drake..?

My mom loves the song in the AT&T commercial and I finally googled the singer and WOW!!!! I never knew about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2JjJPDz3EE

any info on him...?
    def one that was gone way too soon and the info I found on wiki on him is terribly terribly TERRIBLY sad.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Drake

Yes, I started one back in october of 2007. Go ahead and utilize the search function way at the top of the screen : ).
    Last edited by joplinfrk; 07-18-2010 at 02:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

rockalittle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Yes, I started one back in october of 2007. Go ahead and utilize the search function way at the top of the screen : ).
    TY for bumping the thread...I did do a search but the search thing now asks for a user name too if I search for a topic/name/ word...?

orionova Guest
    Thanks for bumping the thread! Nick was a talent in a million.

I am so glad I found this thread!
    I love his music. He was so photogenic.

fultondyke Guest
    It is a shame that fame eluded him in his life, yet--36 years after his death--companies like Volkswagen and AT&T are co-oping his music for commercials. It's bitterly ironic, in a way, but I guess the ads are exposing more people to Nicks work.

Paige B Guest
    Nick Drake was an incredibly talented musician. He wrote such beautiful music..his song "Fly" almost makes me cry everytime I hear it. Its a shame that he took his own life. I heard an interview with his sister, and she said he thought nobody liked him or his own music. Little did he know people would still be talking about him some 40 odd years later. I also heard that Brad Pitt counts Nick Drake as one of his favorite singers as well.

orionova Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paige B View Post
    I also heard that Brad Pitt counts Nick Drake as one of his favorite singers as well.
    Brad Pitt narrated a biography of Nick for BBC Radio2 back in the late 90s (I think it was the late 90s, could have been the early Naughties). It was the first time I'd heard of Nick, and it served as a great introduction to his work.

I first got into Nick back when his song "Pink Moon" was in a VW ad. So i guess i can't complain too much about his music being used for ads again. After all, that is how i discovered him!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

fultondyke Guest
    I recently saw a biopic on Nick "A Skin Too Few" on the Sundance channel. It made me cry...The film is well worth a look (and a listen).

fultondyke Guest
    The film is on youtube in 3 parts...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w28p3fVq4AU

Bobby_Garfield Guest