Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Melendez

Armcast Guest

Bill Melendez

Bill Melendez, 'Peanuts' animator - and voice of Snoopy - dies at 91

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituari...0,148485.story

Animator, director and producer Jose Cuautemoc "Bill" Melendez, whose television programs and theatrical films featuring Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" characters earned four Emmy Awards, an Oscar nomination and two Peabody Awards, died Tuesday at St. John's hospital in Santa Monica, according to publicist Amy Goldsmith. He was 91.

Melendez's career extended over nearly seven decades, including stints at the Walt Disney Studio, Leon Schlesinger Cartoons, UPA and Playhouse Pictures. In 1964, he established Bill Melendez Productions, where he created his best-known works, including the holiday classic "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (1965). Over the years, his films were honored with two additional prime-time Emmys, three National Cartoonist Society Awards, a Clio and 150 awards for commercials.

"A Charlie Brown Christmas," which Melendez and his partner Lee Mendelson produced for CBS, established the format of the half-hour animated special--and began one of the most popular franchises in animation history.

Animating Schulz's simple drawings posed problems. "Charlie Brown has a big head, a little body, and little feet," Melendez said in an interview in 2000. "Normally, a human takes a step every 16 frames--about two-thirds of a second. But Sparky's [Schulz's] characters would look like they were floating at that pace. After several experiments, I had them take a step every six frames--1/4 of a second: click-click-click. It was the only way that worked."

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" won both an Emmy and a Peabody Award; CBS has rebroadcast it every holiday season since. Breaking with tradition, the filmmakers used an upbeat jazz score by Grammy-winning composer Vince Guaraldi and real children for the characters' voices, rather than adult actors imitating children.

Melendez supplied Snoopy's laughs, sobs and howls. Schulz insisted that as a dog, Snoopy couldn't talk. Melendez experimented with making sounds that suggested a voice and speeding them up on tape -- assuming a professional actor would do a final recording. But time ran short, and Melendez served as Snoopy's voice in 63 half-hour specials, five one-hour specials, the Saturday morning TV show and four feature films. In his later years, Melendez chuckled over the fact that he received residuals for his vocal performances.

Working with Mendelson and Schulz, Melendez brought the "Peanuts" characters to the big screen in 1969 with "A Boy Named Charlie Brown." Time Magazine said, "...when 'A Boy Named Charlie Brown' sticks to a boy named Charlie Brown, it becomes a good deed in a naughty world, bright, nonviolent and equipped with an animated moral, the way Snoopy is equipped with a tail." Three sequels followed: "Snoopy, Come Home" (1972), "Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown" (1977) and "Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (And Don't Come Back)" (1980).

"Bill Melendez brought his special warmth, charm and directness to the Charles Schulz characters and brought them to life," animation historian and Oscar-winning filmmaker John Canemaker said today. .

Melendez also oversaw the first specials based on the comic strips "Garfield" (1982) and "Cathy" (1987), two adaptations of the "Babar" books, and an animated version of C.S. Lewis' "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" (1979). Through the London branch of his studio, he directed "Dick Deadeye, or Duty Done" (1975), rewritten fragments of Gilbert and Sullivan operettas with designs by illustrator Ronald Searle.

Born in Sonora, Mexico, in 1916, Melendez moved with his family to Arizona in 1928, then to Los Angeles, where he attended the Chouinard Art Institute. He was one of the few Latinos working in animation when he began his career at the Walt Disney Studio in 1939, contributing to the features "Pinocchio," "Fantasia," "Bambi" and "Dumbo," as well as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck shorts.

Melendez was an active participant in the bitterly fought strike that led to the unionization of the Disney artists in 1941, after which he moved to Schlesinger Cartoons, animating Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig and other classic characters for Warner Bros.

In 1948, Melendez joined UPA, whose innovative approach to animation delighted him. "The animation we were doing was not limited, but stylized," he recalled in an interview in 1986. "When you analyze Chaplin's shorts, you realize people don't move that way--he stylized his movements. We were going to do the same thing for animation. We were going to animate the work of Cobean, Steinberg--all the great cartoonists of the moment--and move them as the designs dictated."

After animating numerous UPA shorts, including the Oscar-winning "Gerald McBoing-Boing" (1951), Melendez served as a director and producer on more than 1,000 commercials for UPA, Playhouse Pictures and John Sutherland Productions. In 1959, he directed the first animation of the "Peanuts" characters for a series of commercials advertising the Ford Falcon.

"What made working in commercials fun then was the quick turnover of ideas," Melendez said. "After working on shorts and animated features, that speed was refreshing."

Melendez is survived by his wife of 68 years, Helen; two sons, Steven Melendez and (Ret.) Navy Rear Admiral Rodrigo Melendez; six grandchildren, and 11 great grandchildren. The memorial service will be private. Donations can be made in Melendez's name to Children's Hospital Los Angeles.

Thanks for smiles Bill....RIP

Voice of Snoopy. Nice.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

What a great-looking old guy.

Martini M. Guest
    Wow, married 68 years...you don't hear that very often.

As a Peanuts fanatic from early childhood, this is sad for me. When Charles M. Schulz died, I literally put my head on the kitchen table and cried like a baby. Peanuts was such a big part of my life, and I still can't look at a picture of Schulz without getting teary.

End of an era. RIP Mr. Melendez.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Layla331 Guest
    Huge peanuts fan...great thread

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Sad news.
    Melendez, Schulz, and Vince Guaraldi together were my whole world growing up.

No more Snoopy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

in memory of my dear uncle..Bill Melendez

i know that there is a thread with bill's passing, but i thot it only fitting that i, his niece, should say a few words here. when i got home today i immediately logged onto my computer, and found his name on the front of the threads, and my heart sank. i have called los angeles, and have spoken with my cousin rod, his eldest son, and all is fine. he said his dad was 'just running out of gas'. my uncle temo (bill) was the dearest, most honourable, classy, elegant, and generous man that ever was. he was my father's youngest brother. i lost my dad in 2001. it is an end of an era. forever will my uncles' voice be heard in snoopy! his yearly charlie brown christmas was a staple in my childhood, a pride i felt in having such a talented uncle, my dad took great pride in his brother's accomplishments. my grandfather, their dad, was a mexican general, a bit eccentric, and named his children after the aztec gods : xochitl, cuitlahuac, xicotencatl, and cuahtemoc, who later shortened it to Bill. i will miss him greatly, i feel i've have a final end to an era of my childhood in the loss of this lovely man.
    pull the string!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    As I said in the other thread Rosemary, your uncle was (vicariously) a very large part of my childhood. His passing makes me very, very sad.
    He made a profound difference in this world, spreading laughter and making children EVERYWHERE very happy.
    I am so sorry for your loss, and the world's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    As I said in the other thread Rosemary, your uncle was (vicariously) a very large part of my childhood. His passing makes me very, very sad.
    He made a profound difference in this world, spreading laughter and making children EVERYWHERE very happy.
    I am so sorry for your loss, and the world's.
    thank you for your kindness, as always jack..i appreciate your words, as i feel so disconnected from it all here in new zealand....
    pull the string!

endsleigh03 Guest
    HellOkitty, sorry for your loss.

I loved Charlie Brown and Snoopy.

Armcast Guest
    (((hugs))) kitty, your Uncle Bill was not only a great talent but an esteemed role model for a lot of us poor Mexican kids that saw his Melendez name on the screen when they rolled credits on Peanuts. He was an inspiration. If Charles Schultz gave Charlie Brown life, Bill Melendez gave him his soul.

My deepest condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    HellOkitty, sorry for your loss.

I loved Charlie Brown and Snoopy.
    thank you so much ends, it means so much to me and to my family... xoxo snoopy and the gang shall live on...
    pull the string!

RaRaRamona Guest
    First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. ;(

Charlie Brown Christmas is still part of my life too! I make a big deal of the holiday Charlie Brown's & make my son a special meal & he sits & watches. My mom always did that for us when were growing up. I don't even record them or have them on cd; it's better when you only get to catch them on tv once a year. They are very special to lots of people. It's awesome that he will live on this way.

RIP uncle kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    (((hugs))) kitty, your Uncle Bill was not only a great talent but an esteemed role model for a lot of us poor Mexican kids that saw his Melendez name on the screen when they rolled credits on Peanuts. He was an inspiration. If Charles Schultz gave Charlie Brown life, Bill Melendez gave him his soul.

My deepest condolences.
    your words make me very proud arm. that was amongst the nicest things ever said to me... god bless you..
    pull the string!

Armcast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. ;(

Charlie Brown Christmas is still part of my life too! I make a big deal of the holiday Charlie Brown's & make my son a special meal & he sits & watches. My mom always did that for us when were growing up. I don't even record them or have them on cd; it's better when you only get to catch them on tv once a year. They are very special to lots of people. It's awesome that he will live on this way.

RIP uncle kitty
    I know what you mean Ramona, I've never missed a showing of Charlie Brown Christmas ever...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbSa-y-z3Vc

Last edited by Armcast; 09-03-2008 at 08:55 PM.

SilverAndCold Guest
    Snoopy has gone to that great doghouse in the sky..RIP and thanks for the memories.

Reecy Guest
    This is the 1st time I see a picture of Mr. Melendez.

Rest in peace sir.

Reecy Guest
    He will always be loved by his fans.

(((((HUGS))))) to you.........

My condolences HK. I will watch C.B Christmas with my Grandson and tell him your story.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

So sorry for your loss. Im one of those "kids" that always watches Charlie and the gang at Christmas..and I have no kids!
    I also know (being married to a guy that is now retired from the US Air Force) how hard it is to be away when a family member is lost.
    Be happy knowing that your uncle left you ( and all of us) a present that will be around forever!

TheMysterian Guest
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss Kitty,my children along with millions of others grew up with that very special "A Charlie Brown Christmas", a classic by any standard. May Uncle Temo "Bill" rest in peace

Sharmika Guest
    Kitty, please accept my heartfelt condolences. Your uncle made a many snow-less Christmas day worth celebrating in my house simply because Charlie Brown's Christmas special would be coming on. It is still a staple in my house every year.

In the meantime, I'm gonna tell my 6 yr-old Snoopy fanatic that I "know" Snoopy's voice's niece. Thank you for making me the coolest Mama EVAH!!!

We're here if you need us, dear. ((((Hugs))))

Giada Guest
    I'm so sorry for your loss, and I know how that feels to see a generation leaving us. He looks like a man who is composed of heart and soul.

Nicki Guest
    I'm am so sorry Hello Kitty at the loss of Your Uncle. Wow, he did bring alot of smiles to children and adults everywhere with Charlie Browns Christmas. A wonderful legacy to leave behind. Just the adoration and love in your thread above says volumnes as to what a great character and human being he was. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

BAGOBONES Guest
    your uncle was coooool!
    Bringing Charlie Brown to life like he did and Garfield.
    I had all the books as a kid and it was great to see them on t.v.
    I'm sorry for yours and your familys' loss.

bloodrocuted Guest
    hell0kitty, I think it's important that I give my regards to your Uncle because I, too, have dreams of becoming an animator. I was never aware that you were related to a person of such creative success and talent relevant to my own aspirations especially, so I feel I owe you and him a tip of my hat.

Desertrose Guest
    I am very sorry to hear of his passing as I am a huge Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty fan. But, with all due respect - no offense, but how do we know you are his neice? Just wondering. I mean, I could say anything on the internet and expect people to believe it. Anyone could be my uncle. If he truly was your uncle I am sorry for your loss, but....kinda, sorta a little difficult to believe. But, then again, I have been corrected before.....

30. 09-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrose View Post
    I am very sorry to hear of his passing as I am a huge Snoopy, Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty fan. But, with all due respect - no offense, but how do we know you are his neice? Just wondering. I mean, I could say anything on the internet and expect people to believe it. Anyone could be my uncle. If he truly was your uncle I am sorry for your loss, but....kinda, sorta a little difficult to believe. But, then again, I have been corrected before.....

desertrose, i understand your skepticism, as anyone can say anything on the net. my name is rosemary melendez, i can give u my address, and i can give you the address of my uncle's house also his number, and his son will answer. i have nothing to lose in saying this. this was the wonderment of knowing this man, and for me it was humbling to know he was an uncle. i have nothing to gain, i just wanted to share. i could aso tell you i am sophia loren in disguise, but i respect your intelligence, i would not mock anyone's intelligence here or make a fool of scott's forum. its your choice to believe me or not, we're just folks, who sometimes know, or are related to important people. to be honest however, whether u believe me or not, is immaterial.
    pull the string!

Roaming Tigress Guest
    You're family has my most sincerest condolences. Christmas just isn't Christmas without a yearly viewing of Charlie Brown's Christmas. When I watch it this year, it will be in his memory.

thank you all for your wonderful expressions of sympathy. i am very appreciative of my online friends/family. xoxoxo
    pull the string!

Rosemary, I'm so sorry for your loss. You Uncle will live on, though, and entertain generations of children for a long time to come. He's a part of so many lives through his voice. We are all blessed to have been able to enjoy his work.

Nothing on this forum has ever made me cry, until now. Huge hag hugs!
    Last edited by Nessa; 09-04-2008 at 12:36 AM.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Condolences

I grieve with you. Please accept my condolences. He was an extraordinary, talented man and will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    i know that there is a thread with bill's passing, but i thot it only fitting that i, his niece, should say a few words here. when i got home today i immediately logged onto my computer, and found his name on the front of the threads, and my heart sank. i have called los angeles, and have spoken with my cousin rod, his eldest son, and all is fine. he said his dad was 'just running out of gas'. my uncle temo (bill) was the dearest, most honourable, classy, elegant, and generous man that ever was. he was my father's youngest brother. i lost my dad in 2001. it is an end of an era. forever will my uncles' voice be heard in snoopy! his yearly charlie brown christmas was a staple in my childhood, a pride i felt in having such a talented uncle, my dad took great pride in his brother's accomplishments. my grandfather, their dad, was a mexican general, a bit eccentric, and named his children after the aztec gods : xochitl, cuitlahuac, xicotencatl, and cuahtemoc, who later shortened it to Bill. i will miss him greatly, i feel i've have a final end to an era of my childhood in the loss of this lovely man.
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Parting is such sweet sorrow....
    pull the string!

parting is such sweet sorrow....
    pull the string!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Uncle, he truly brought joy to many. Prayers for your family.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    O.K...First of all you get cooler by the minute...I used to be a charlie brown and snoopy FREAK!!! When I was a leetle girl I would doodle them in every notebook I had and even sent one of my drawings in to a Chatanooga News station and the weatherman put MINE on T.V...I am sooo honored that I have you as a friend and It must have been super amazing to have him for an uncle...MAJOR braggin rights! I am sooooo sorry that you have lost this special man...If there is anything that I can do for you, don't hesitate to ask! LOVES

awww kitty, how coooool! that's something to be proud of right there. Wow! Thank you for sharing your uncle with so many of us. He made countless children happy, and will continue to do so for many more years.

I'm with RaRa on the special viewing--it's not quite the same if you can watch it whenever--though I understand that folks would want to do that--I like the anticipation, the running home, squeaking with excitement, the rush to sit down in front of the telly, the "swish-swish-yeah-I-brushed" half-assed toothbrushing you rushed through so as not to miss a moment...

So thanks again for a great uncle!

the other kitty

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I don't know if I can handle much more this week...Jerry Reed and now this...My childhood is dissapearing as quickly as my hair...DANG!!!

pull the string!

GAdeathhag Guest
    shit-- i love me some snoopy

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gadeathhag View Post
    shit-- i love me some snoopy
    waaaaaaaa!!!

GAdeathhag Guest
    so sorry-- he will be missed--- I loved his characters

Snoopy Guest
    Awww..I'm so sorry for your loss..as you can tell by my screen name I just love Snoopy..my all time fave. How cool for you to have such a wonderful Uncle..May he Rest in Peace.

Cherry Malotte Guest
    Please accept my condolences. A man that can make so many children happy is one of the good guys.

I am very sorry for your loss. He was an incredibly talented man.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

malaki Guest
    Sorry for your loss and how cool & honored to have this man as an uncle!!!...I still, to this day, watch those Peanuts specials on the holidays, I try and get my 8 yr old to watch w/me there not as cool to her but I LOVE them!!!!......

a final goodbye

pull the string!

ceege Guest
    Hugs to you kitty and thank you for sharing the story about your uncle. CB Christmas has always been a favourite and I do the same as RaRa. Not on tape, watch it once a year and make a big deal on that evening. It's part of our Christmas traditions. How wonderful it must have been to have had him in your family life.