Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poltergeist, the Movie

gemini33 Guest

Angry Poltergeist, the Movie

I just read on Google News they are doing a Poltergeist remake! When is Hollywood going to stop remaking everything and come up with an original thought! I've gotten to the point I refuse to watch remakes.

Seagorath Guest
    This is bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    I just read on Google News they are doing a Poltergeist remake! When is Hollywood going to stop remaking everything and come up with an original thought! I've gotten to the point I refuse to watch remakes.

Twobeatlesleft Guest
    Yes, it seems as though the movie writers have absolutely no original creative ideas in their heads. It's so much easier to recycle old ideas than to come up with new ones.

I feel the same way as you--I avoid movie remakes. The last one I saw was the updated Planet of the Apes which was a pale comparison to the campy, great original.

As for Poltergeist, I loved the original. I can't see how they can possibly improve on that one.

Hopefully the whole thing gets shot down by the whole Poltergeist curse. I just saw today that they are remaking the Beverly Hills 90210 series, I mean, c'mon!!! When will they realize that nothing compares to the original.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    It's all off to the fact that Hollywood is no longer full of the risk-takers it once was...nowadays, they've gotta make sure they don't lose all their money, gotta go with the franchise/idea/star that's proven a moneymaker before...don't dare try something new, original, innovative...you might lose everything because you won't capture the largest part of your target demographic...

Glamrock Princess Guest
    They are having a laugh......!

Whats wrong with the original ?!

WendyK Guest
    Who's gonna play CAROL ANN???

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Hopefully the whole thing gets shot down by the whole Poltergeist curse. I just saw today that they are remaking the Beverly Hills 90210 series, I mean, c'mon!!! When will they realize that nothing compares to the original.
    I saw the commercial for that a few days ago and thought they were making fun of it...seriously looked god awful.

What's weird about remaking stuff is it only seems to occur with the really good/popular movies/shows/music, etc.
    You'd think that's logic enough to stop and remember what makes it a classic and leave it be.
    ??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.? - Michael Jackson

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    To me, the original 'Poltergeist' is sort of sacred to the memory of Dominique Dunne (no matter how small her role as the older sister), and the whole franchise is sacred to the memory of little Heather O'Rourke. I'm not saying they shouldn't remake films after the stars have died, but jeez...they both died so tragically young, and they'll both always be associated with the film, and the whole 'Poltergeist Curse'...don't the filmmakers realize what they're getting themselves into? They're almost programming it for failure...as it is, the two screenwriters for this also worked on the unproduced remake of 'The Birds' that Universal was trying to get off the ground forever...more remake CRAP...

Snudgie Guest
    *sigh*......if it isn't broken...don't try and fix it!!!

halogirl5 Guest
    They're HEEEERE....again. Bet you anything that's the tagline. Fucking parasites what they are.

Guest Guest
    Oh God.................. Hollywood makes me sick.....

D3LIVI?N Guest
    Hey kids, It’s time for another round of “FAD members start an online petition to protest remaking classic movies” time again!

halogirl5 Guest
    I generally am with you apart from I think Rocky Horror would be cool again. Depp as Frankenfurter. Doesnt that change anyone's opinion just a teensy bit?

insanejeff Guest
    It's simple. They know the title alone will sell enough tickets to make a profit. It's totally pointless though. Especially because of the sequels which were already inferior. It should be left alone.

I have such fond memories of the original. Went to see it with my family when I was 11. I'm suddenly reminded how much I miss Craig T. Nelson. What a cool guy... *off to imdb to see if he's still working*

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by insanejeff View Post
    It's simple. They know the title alone will sell enough tickets to make a profit. It's totally pointless though. Especially because of the sequels which were already inferior. It should be left alone.

I have such fond memories of the original. Went to see it with my family when I was 11. I'm suddenly reminded how much I miss Craig T. Nelson. What a cool guy... *off to imdb to see if he's still working*
    I like part 2 the best! God is in his holy temple, earthly thoughts be silent now....

Dylgem22 Guest
    How? Why? Ugh ...

Carrie Guest
    That is just so wrong.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    What the hell? Do those robot cyborgs in Hollywood not have any fresh greymatter to feed on? Get a frickin pen and some paper and write a new story aholes...What is wrong with this world...

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Why do they do this???? I hate when the ruin good movies with remakes. Poltergiest is one of my favs. Actually anything Steven Spielberg does I love. He's my fav Director/Producer. I know Tobe Hopper directed this but Steve produced.

GAdeathhag Guest
    boooooooo-- bad move

**Jenna** Guest
    wtf is wrong with hollywood? i'm not watching any remakes either.

Ah, now they get to do the latest special effects on it and really screw it up.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Chevyheaven Guest
    Yay!! I cant wait. I love Poltergiest. I thought it was an amazing movie. Maybe they can bring back the original cast. That would rock!! That movie scared the bejebubs out of me.

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    Yay!! I cant wait. I love Poltergiest. I thought it was an amazing movie. Maybe they can bring back the original cast. That would rock!! That movie scared the bejebubs out of me.
    Carol Anne Corpse and Domique Dunne Corpse! Absafuckingloutly!

Wow, that would be amazing if they brought back the original cast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

gemini33 Guest

Bawhahaahaa! Wait, aren't only 3 of the original cast alive?? I'm meaning in Poltergiest 1 and 2. Three doesn't count... that was just stupid. Craig T. and JoBeth... and whomever played the boy, Robbie, are still alive... but aren't the rest of the "Main" cast dead? Heather, Dominique, in #1, Heather, Will Sampson, and Julian Beck (who scaries me to death!) are dead from # 2.

In an interesting note... Zelda Rubinstein is still alive!! Love it!

WendyK Guest
    Bawhahaahaa! Wait, aren't only 3 of the original cast alive?? I'm meaning in Poltergiest 1 and 2. Three doesn't count... that was just stupid. Craig T. and JoBeth... and whomever played the boy, Robbie, are still alive... but aren't the rest of the "Main" cast dead? Heather, Dominique, in #1, Heather, Will Sampson, and Julian Beck (who scaries me to death!) are dead from # 2.

In an interesting note... Zelda Rubinstein is still alive!! Love it!

I heard Zelda was a Bitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Nvr_Sk_to_Tll View Post
    To me, the original 'Poltergeist' is sort of sacred to the memory of Dominique Dunne (no matter how small her role as the older sister), and the whole franchise is sacred to the memory of little Heather O'Rourke. I'm not saying they shouldn't remake films after the stars have died, but jeez...they both died so tragically young, and they'll both always be associated with the film, and the whole 'Poltergeist Curse'...don't the filmmakers realize what they're getting themselves into? They're almost programming it for failure...as it is, the two screenwriters for this also worked on the unproduced remake of 'The Birds' that Universal was trying to get off the ground forever...more remake CRAP...
    Isn't there some kinda Exrocist curse? And when they made the latest one Jerry Bruckhemer died. Thought of that when u mentioned the Poltergeist curse.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    I heard Zelda was a Bitch?
    height issues

I♥TinyTim Guest

Angry OMG... Did You All Know They used REAL CORPSES in the filming of Poltergeist?

They used REAL CORPSES in the filming of Poltergeist to save money on making dummy ones!!!

I'm shocked!!!!!!!

They think this is the reason why most of the cast and crew has had such bad luck, what with dying and all. But Craig T. Nelson & Jo Beth Williams are stil alive, so... And of course, Steven Spielberg's still alive... I think it's all a coincidence. We're all guaranted to die at some point in our lives. Sometimes, at the same time as someone else.

Still, I think it was wrong of them to use real corpses just to save money. I wonder if their families got royalties? Were they donated bodies, or...?

Here's a link: http://thebeyond.info/poltergeist.php/
    Last edited by I♥TinyTim; 12-30-2008 at 12:27 PM.

JestersKiss Guest
    I had heard they were Jane Does or John Does and had to be returned when filming was completed.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    I can honestly say I haven't watched Poltergeist since I was a young'un. So I have to kind of ignorantly ask the question...

WHAT did they use real corpses FOR!? *blink*

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    COOL!!!!

What a way to be remembered!!

"Now honey, if you watch closely here you will see Grandma floating by in the water!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz
    I can honestly say I haven't watched Poltergeist since I was a young'un. So I have to kind of ignorantly ask the question...

WHAT did they use real corpses FOR!? *blink*
    Toward the end, during the thunderstorm, a bunch of corpses surface in the pit for the swimming pool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ewww you'd think the health department wouldn't be pleased with all those germies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Toward the end, during the thunderstorm, a bunch of corpses surface in the pit for the swimming pool.
    Thank you, Luanne...My mind was reeling! LOL! Maybe I should watch it again...I don't remember much of it it seems.

Granted, when the movie was made it was different in the grand scheme of things - Special Effects especially. But wouldn't that have taken a whole TON of special permits?

Edit: Found the following quote on the Wiki page for Poltergeist:

In 2002, on an episode of VH1's I Love the 80s, JoBeth Williams revealed that the production used real skeletons when filming the swimming pool scene. Many of the people on the set were alarmed by this and led others to believe the "curse" on the film series was because of this use. Craig Reardon, a special effects artist who worked on the film, commented at the time that it was cheaper to purchase real skeletons than plastic ones as the plastic ones involved labor in making them. Williams wasn't afraid of the prop skeletons, but she was nervous working in water around so many electrically-powered lights. Producer Spielberg comforted her by being in the water during her scenes, claiming that if a light fell into the pool, they'd both be killed.
    Last edited by Boxofpandoraz; 12-30-2008 at 12:19 PM.

John Connor Guest
    They used real SKELETONS not corpses. That would be unsanitary, an indignity and illegal.

Did they get credits?

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Did they get credits?
    hehe

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I wonder if they worked for scale?

sunshine74137 Guest
    Did they get credits?
    They were only listed as corpse #1 etc They didn't get their names on the screen because they just wern't very good actors they were pretty much dead weight as far as the cast went.

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    ...What a way to be remembered!!

"Now honey, if you watch closely here you will see Grandma floating by in the water!"
    Kkhhhh-Pfffttt....! LOL

sunshine74137 Guest
    Method acting at it's best

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    They used real SKELETONS not corpses. That would be unsanitary, an indignity and illegal.
    Thanks for the clarification, but does it still make that much of a difference? To me, either way, the person's remains were not at rest, nor were they given any dignity.

...And still unsanitary, if you ask me. *shivers* *hee-bee gee-bees*
    Last edited by I♥TinyTim; 12-30-2008 at 12:37 PM.

harlequin_clown Guest
    I have always wanted to be an actor and if my bones were used for "acting" purposes I would find that super!

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ihearttinytim View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, but does it still make that much of a difference? To me, either way, the person's remains were not at rest.
    for me it's a little different, I mean their not at rest in the back of the biology room either, especially with all the naughty ways we used to pose him

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    for me it's a little different, I mean their not at rest in the back of the biology room either, especially with all the naughty ways we used to pose him
    Were those real skeletons?!? I thought they wer made of plaster or plastic or some dam thing. Otherwise, I would NEVER have stuck his thumb up his ass. I swear

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    True... lol However, I think the skeletons @ the back of labs (assuming they aren't plastic) were people who donated their bodies to science; not Jane or John Does with no family to claim them.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Were those real skeletons?!? I thought they wer made of plaster or plastic or some dam thing. Otherwise, I would NEVER have stuck his thumb up his ass. I swear
    you made a skelaton bone himself