Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 52

Thread: Margaret Hamilton

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    g-ville s.c.
    Posts
    343

    Margaret Hamilton

    we all know her as the witch/miss gulch from the wizard of oz. i actually read a piece about her in a book last night, turns out she was a very kindhearted sweet lady. she performed up till she was in her 70's. checkout her bio on www.imdb.com. i think she is a very underappreciated actress.

    I GOT THE DEVILS MEANEST DEMONS RIDING SHOTGUN!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoHo Arts District-L.A.
    Posts
    5,801
    She was Judy Garland's closest friend during the making of The Wizard of Oz, too!
    peek-a-boo!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    g-ville s.c.
    Posts
    343
    after she got divorced, she said that her son and her grandkids kept her going. she had a lovely garden at her home, and said that she had few regrets. i have always called her a hatchet faced witch woman, but last night the little part i read changed my mind about her. she was a sweetheart!
    I GOT THE DEVILS MEANEST DEMONS RIDING SHOTGUN!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    801
    Her son was born in 1935 and could still be living. However, none of her bios mention him. Does anyone know anything about the son?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    g-ville s.c.
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Her son was born in 1935 and could still be living. However, none of her bios mention him. Does anyone know anything about the son?

    i will look in that book tomorrow, maybe it will tell who her ex and son was. i just scanned it last night, and found out she was really not a bad lady, and actually liked horror movies!
    I GOT THE DEVILS MEANEST DEMONS RIDING SHOTGUN!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    41
    I've always liked Margaret Hamilton even though she terrified me in Wizard when I was a kid, she was very talented and under rated

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    351
    As a side note, I just went and saw Wicked this past weekend. Really good. If anyone gets a chance to see it, I highly recommend it.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

  8. #8
    I read she'd sign things WWW. I think she was great too, I mean the lady totally carved what a WITCH is in stone for me! The way she played the character was excellent, all the way down to her fingers.

    In the beginning of the movie, in Oz, there's a split second where you can see her white ankles. I think it's right after she reaches for the ruby slippers and they disappear as the legs curl under the house.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Her son was born in 1935 and could still be living. However, none of her bios mention him. Does anyone know anything about the son?

    I found this on him.... Hamilton married Paul Boynton Meserve on June 13, 1931, and made her debut on the New York stage the following year. While her acting career developed, her marriage became troubled, and the couple divorced in 1938. They had one son, Hamilton Wadsworth Meserve (born 1935), whom she raised on her own.[3] Not long after the official end of her marriage...... at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hamilton

    and when I put his name in for a search I came up with this about Margaret's granddaughter's wedding in 1997, it says The bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hamilton Wadsworth Meserve of Millbrook, N.Y., are the publishers of the Taconic Newspapers, weekly magazines and newspapers in Dutchess County. The bride is a granddaughter of the late Margaret Hamilton, the actress who played the Wicked Witch of the West in ''The Wizard of Oz.'' .....http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...54C0A961958260

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,099
    Good job of hunting b57.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,145
    I read somewhere that in later life living in NYC that HAMILTON was know as
    The Sweetheart Of Gramercy Park. She apparently was nothing like the nasty characters she often played.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Good job of hunting b57.

    Thanks Skull!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    573
    I just watched the original "13 Ghosts" a few weeks ago, Margaret was the maid at the house and she was called "the Witch" in that movie too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by DelightfulDeathHag View Post
    I've always liked Margaret Hamilton even though she terrified me in Wizard when I was a kid, she was very talented and under rated
    From IMDB:

    "Until the day she died she had children recognizing her and coming up to her to ask why she was so mean to Dorothy. She became very concerned about the role's effect on children, and finally guested on "MisteRogers' Neighborhood" (1968) to explain that the Witch was just a character in the film, and not herself."

    What a nice thing to do for so many children!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern Tier of New York
    Posts
    1,680
    [SIZE=3]When I was little, I was fascinated by the fact that she was the Maxwell Coffee lady, Cora, in the commercials. I thought that was the coolest thing when my Gram told me that![/SIZE]

    [SIZE=3]Have you ever seen the interview/clip where she tells about being cast as the Wicked Witch and she asked which part and (whomever) said, "The Wicked Witch..." and followed with, "...of course!" She got a laugh out of that as well. It's definitely on the bonus features of the Wizard of Oz DVD, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere![/SIZE]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14
    Wow 57 - great info. From what i have read, Margaret Hamilton was a wonderful woman and esp. grandmother!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post
    From IMDB:

    "Until the day she died she had children recognizing her and coming up to her to ask why she was so mean to Dorothy. She became very concerned about the role's effect on children, and finally guested on "MisteRogers' Neighborhood" (1968) to explain that the Witch was just a character in the film, and not herself."

    What a nice thing to do for so many children!!
    I saw that episode. It was a rerun as I wasn't born yet but I recall, with a child's mind, being fascinated with watching her talk normal and how SUPER friendly and kind-hearted she was.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by scarletfever1971 View Post
    I saw that episode. It was a rerun as I wasn't born yet but I recall, with a child's mind, being fascinated with watching her talk normal and how SUPER friendly and kind-hearted she was.
    My son is two and we watch Mr. Rogers every morning while I'm getting ready for work. I am keeping an eye out for this episode. I'm jealous that you've seen it.
    Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post
    My son is two and we watch Mr. Rogers every morning while I'm getting ready for work. I am keeping an eye out for this episode. I'm jealous that you've seen it.
    I searched on YouTube hoping to find a snippet there (you can find so much stuff on YT!!) but came up with nothing. I'm sure you're bound to run across it if you're tuning in each day.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post
    From IMDB: "Until the day she died she had children recognizing her and coming up to her to ask why she was so mean to Dorothy. She became very concerned about the role's effect on children, and finally guested on "MisteRogers' Neighborhood" (1968) to explain that the Witch was just a character in the film, and not herself."
    She used to go to schools and speak with children, also. I think (I'm not positive) that she lived in CT. She came to speak at our school back in 1971 or 1972 but I was so little I can't remember what she talked about. I recall her taking questions from us, she was just a little old lady with a microphone. She was so normal, nice and smiling, I think it put a lot of us to ease because, of course, we thought of The Witch from Oz.

    Sue

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    38
    She's from Cleveland and originally was a teacher.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    69

    Exclamation

    Here is a tidbit I didn't discover until just recently.
    *I* had always thought that Miss Gulch, who transformed into a Witch
    was the Wicked Witch of the West when she was up inside the tornado with Dorothy.
    It turns out that Miss Gulch was in reality the Wicked Witch of the East and used the Ruby Slippers to transport herself from OZ to the Real World and back and used the tornado as a cover. What she hadn't counted upon was the Gale House being lifted up inside the tornado after taking a direct hit from it.

    Theory:

    Miss Gulch owned "half the County" and was hungry for owning all of it.
    One of the only obstacles which stood in the way was the Gale Farm which she wanted and even hinted at in the movie when she said, "I'll bring a damn suit that'll take your whole farm."
    The Gales would have none of it. Thus, Miss Gulch decided that she needed help from her sister in Oz, the Wicked Witch of the West. That was why she was headed back there and that was why she was there when the Gale house suddenly and violently entered the equation.
    [SIZE=4]Peace,[/SIZE]

    Captain Kundalini

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    573
    Here's a rare clip of Margaret (dressed like the Wicked Witch) on the Paul Lynde Halloween special from 1976, with Kiss:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lmGMPn5Xo

  24. #24
    Omg,,,Paul Lynde, Kiss, and the WWW on the same stage????

    *dies of delight*
    Keri

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    573

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobsters View Post
    Omg,,,Paul Lynde, Kiss, and the WWW on the same stage????

    *dies of delight*
    LOL, that was pretty much my reaction after first seeing it too.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    Here's a rare clip of Margaret (dressed like the Wicked Witch) on the Paul Lynde Halloween special from 1976, with Kiss:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lmGMPn5Xo
    Thank you so much Jack for posting that link... I absolutely loved it!!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1smEagY12m8

    Doing her Maxwell house Coffee commercial in the 70's!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8
    I like Margaret Hamilton, and Gunsmoke. Imagine my surprise.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlGwkM-P_s

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Weasel View Post
    I like Margaret Hamilton, and Gunsmoke. Imagine my surprise.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlGwkM-P_s
    I'm not one for ROFLMAO, but that's purdy darned close!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,699
    Is that Pinky Tuscadero doing that disco number after Kiss plays? I wish there were still variety shows like that on.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    106
    You totally forgot to mention WitchiePooh from Puffenstuff! How could you?

    This was really dreadful! I musta been out at a disco the night this was on. It was nice to see what I missed, tho.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,747
    I read somewhere that she had a brief fling with Madge, the Palmolive lady.
    What do you mean, what do I mean?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8iGhqDHlWE

  33. #33
    All I know is she scared the crap outta of me when I was a little girl watching The Wizard of Oz. Her and those damn flying monkeys. I hate that movie to this day.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Aw, that video of Margaret doing her Maxwell house commercial was great. I was a child in the 1970's and I remember those. My Dad told me when they would come on who it was.

    I read somewhere (wiki maybe) that she was a schoolteacher before she went into acting and she LOVED children. That is why she was so concerned that they were scared of her.

    I also read she had to eat alone on the set because no one wanted to eat with her because she looked so bad? That must have been an urban legend. I can't imagine that was true.

    Margaret Hamilton did not play WitchiePoo in the Sid and marty Croft Puffenstuff. It was Billie Hayes.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    i would have to admit that having seen ms. hamilton as the epitome of witches, as a very small child, i was to begin my fascination with 'death haggery' the paranormal, halloween, and all things spooky! god bless her dear soul! she was also in the movie 'my little chickadee' as the town spinster... lol
    pull the string!

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    9
    Margaret Hamilton died in a Salisbury, CT nursing home after a brief stay. She was cremated and the ashes scattered over her property in nearby Amenia, NY.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    I can remember when she was Cora in the Maxwell ads. Her little country store had three rows stocked with Maxwell House Coffee. I gues the farmers in that town got a lot done when they weren't urinating.

    You should see her interact with W.C. Fields in MY LITTLE CHICKADEE (1940). Wonderful. In one scene Fields says to her "You look like a well kept grave."
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    I just watched the original "13 Ghosts" a few weeks ago, Margaret was the maid at the house and she was called "the Witch" in that movie too.
    I think she unfortunately got typecast after Wizard of Oz? I saw that movie to and her character really didn't didn't add anything to the movie. I think she was just thrown in for name value more than anything else?

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South America
    Posts
    653
    I remember reading that she hoped that when she died, the headline would read "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead." I think a couple of papers actually did that after hearing that she thought it would be a good joke.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SoCal Desert Region
    Posts
    335
    Mr. Rogers clip

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtq6ejmJnIY

    Possibly wearing the original outfit. Wouldn't have been sold by MGM as of yet.
    Last edited by monroe62; 03-09-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added info

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachamama View Post
    I remember reading that she hoped that when she died, the headline would read "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead." I think a couple of papers actually did that after hearing that she thought it would be a good joke.
    Aww, that's sweet! I can imagine her saying such a thing.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post
    Mr. Rogers clip

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtq6ejmJnIY

    Possibly wearing the original outfit. Wouldn't have been sold by MGM as of yet.
    Excellent clip, thanks!!!
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    B
    Posts
    916
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kundalini View Post
    Here is a tidbit I didn't discover until just recently.
    *I* had always thought that Miss Gulch, who transformed into a Witch
    was the Wicked Witch of the West when she was up inside the tornado with Dorothy.
    It turns out that Miss Gulch was in reality the Wicked Witch of the East and used the Ruby Slippers to transport herself from OZ to the Real World and back and used the tornado as a cover. What she hadn't counted upon was the Gale House being lifted up inside the tornado after taking a direct hit from it.

    Theory:

    Miss Gulch owned "half the County" and was hungry for owning all of it.
    One of the only obstacles which stood in the way was the Gale Farm which she wanted and even hinted at in the movie when she said, "I'll bring a damn suit that'll take your whole farm."
    The Gales would have none of it. Thus, Miss Gulch decided that she needed help from her sister in Oz, the Wicked Witch of the West. That was why she was headed back there and that was why she was there when the Gale house suddenly and violently entered the equation.
    wow this was cool to read..actually made sense when i read it a couple times..where did you hear about this?...this interests me.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,411
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post
    Mr. Rogers clip

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtq6ejmJnIY

    Possibly wearing the original outfit. Wouldn't have been sold by MGM as of yet.
    Wonderful clip thanks!

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    I can remember when she was Cora in the Maxwell ads. Her little country store had three rows stocked with Maxwell House Coffee. I gues the farmers in that town got a lot done when they weren't urinating.

    Hahaha!! You about made me choke on my tortilla chip.

    I remember being little, this had to be around 1985 (the year Margaret Hamilton died) and my teenage uncle telling me she was still alive. Either she really was, or she'd died in recent months and he hadn't heard about it yet. I remember being kind of in shock... thinking she must be very very old.

    She definitely seemed like a class-act all the way.
    ~~Shyla

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,708
    Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post
    we all know her as the witch/miss gulch from the wizard of oz. i actually read a piece about her in a book last night, turns out she was a very kindhearted sweet lady. she performed up till she was in her 70's. checkout her bio on www.imdb.com. i think she is a very underappreciated actress.

    I'd read that she was badly burned in a scene when she was on or getting onto the broom. She showed up after she healed and was a real trouper.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    3,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    Here's a rare clip of Margaret (dressed like the Wicked Witch) on the Paul Lynde Halloween special from 1976, with Kiss:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lmGMPn5Xo
    What a great clip! I think she was a wonderful actress and very underrated. I love watching some of her old movies before Wizard of Oz.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post
    Mr. Rogers clip

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtq6ejmJnIY

    Possibly wearing the original outfit. Wouldn't have been sold by MGM as of yet.
    Aww, thanks Monroe62 for that wonderful clip? She was a treasure to always be fondly remembered. I loved her as Cora too!! I bet her grandchildren got to take her to school for show and tell? R.I.P. you dear sweet woman!

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    209
    She was my favorite from the Wizard of Oz. Such a sweet lady with a great sense of humor. Here is a website that has some good clips: http://www.roadode.com/margaret_1.shtml
    "Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing." -Jack Handey

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    181
    Thank you for another thread I thoroughly enjoyed; I read all the posts. I also enjoyed the Mister Roger's clip from 1968. What a sweet woman she was.

    I couldn't remember when Margaret Hamilton passed away but I knew it was in the 1980's. I looked up her biography on IMDB and, interesting enough, Saturday (May 16th) will be the 24th anniversary of her death by a heart attack.
    Heath nuts are going to feel stupid someday; lying in hospitals dying of nothing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •